I can't listen to "small" speakers anymore

bhobba

« Reply #20 on: 27 Mar 2006, 01:14 am »
Well....I was waiting for you Bill to say it....Kidding with you Bill....but I don't consider the Timepiece a bookshelf speaker...you better have a pretty large bookshelf...their large and heavy....not small. But they do sound very good....no sub needed....that's for sure !!!!

Nice to hear from you Chris.

Don't get me wrong - I was not saying they are small bookshelf speakers.  However for their size they produce incredibly deep bass especially considering they use double layer cabinet construction which means the internal volume is a bit smaller.

IMHO they are perfect for home theater since you do not need a subwoofer and from I can gather due to their directivity no center channel is really required - just 2 or 4 smaller speakers along the wall.

My financial situation is slowly progressing - hopefully I will be able to get mine delivered soon.  In the mean time will nee dot build some stands.  Look out for a posting soon for recommendations.

Thanks
Bill

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #21 on: 27 Mar 2006, 01:24 am »
bhobba....Bill....lets get those speakers already..:hyper: ....I'm waiting to hear your impressions. But....I think you will need a different amp....but... this thread is not about amps...good luck !!! :D
    Chris[/list:u]

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #22 on: 27 Mar 2006, 02:06 am »
I am surprised no one has mentioned it since Bill also sells them but the SP Timepiece puts to end the idea deep accurate bass requires a big speaker.

Well, my roiginal intention was not to name names but since you brought it up......

The SP Tech speakers do have amazing dynamics as do the Daedalus DA-1. with the Timepiece being regarded as a "bookshelf speaker, it is unheard of to get these kind of dynamics. Even the Bella speakers produce great bass that goes much deeper and is more defined than I could have hoped for.

In the mean time will need to build some stands. Look out for a posting soon for recommendations.

Hey Bill, don't make any decissions just yet. I am having custom stands designed for the Bella speakers that will be just as much at home under the SP Speakers. I should have more information in a week or so along with some pictures. I think you'll like "em.

bhobba

« Reply #23 on: 27 Mar 2006, 02:42 am »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
bhobba....Bill....lets get those speakers already..:hyper: ....I'm waiting to hear your impressions. But....I think you will need a different amp....but... this thread is not about amps...good luck !!! :D
    Chris[/list:u]

Yep Chris.  I expect to eventually get a different amp than the XR55.  It is just to start with.  The amp I am looking at is a Van Alstine solid state Omega Star because of their excellent pricing and reviews - a number of posts (eg the chair guy) have confirmed they sound better than the 55. But that is down the line. As you know I am not one for winding up the wick so its 125W is more than enough for me.

Thanks
Bill