Looking for cheap integrated amp recommendations

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: Looking for cheap integrated amp recommendations
« Reply #20 on: 25 Nov 2011, 04:49 am »
not tubed.  not remote.  but w/its pre-outs/main-ins, you could add either or both.  as this is completely refurb'd, it's a good deal, imo, even at its buy-it-now price.  i had an original never-serviced one, and it easily competes w/modern gear, imo:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sansui-AU717-Refurbished-/280778707845

if you get really lucky, you might find a sansui au-9900 or even an au-11000 for $500, but i'd certainly wanna have its history werified prior to purchase - in good shape, they usually sell for a bit more than $500...

another excellent wintage suspect is the revox b251, but none f/s right now, afaik.

doug s.

charmerci

« Reply #21 on: 25 Nov 2011, 05:58 am »
There's a couple of guys selling integrateds with remotes on AC. The ads are from a while back so PM them to check. I'm pretty sure either of these are better than any mass-market integrateds out there.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=98580.0

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=95627.0

bunnyma357

« Reply #22 on: 25 Nov 2011, 06:26 am »
You might look around for a Yaqin MS-20L (approx. $650) - it's a little more expensive than your price range.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAQIN-MS-20L-Push-Pull-Integrated-Stereo-Tube-Amplifier-/140643738716?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item20bf05245c#ht_3180wt_874

A used one, or if you're adventurous, buying directly from China might get you within your price range.

I have the older Yaqin MC-10L non-remote and have been happy with it. Another way to go is put a remote pre-amp in front of a non-remote integrated - I ended up doing that for around your price range (bought a Used Meridian 501 Pre $299 & New Onix SP-8/3 for $279 which is usually around $500).

If you're patient and don't mind a little bit of risk, you can find some great deals - my Yaqin cost $480 delivered, but I've seen them go on eBay for around $300.

One other thing to consider is that a lot of sources can handle volume control remotely (Squeezebox, TV's with variable outs, etc.), so even though a non-remote integrated is less convenient, it might be acceptable.

Jim C

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #23 on: 25 Nov 2011, 07:00 am »
yes - yaqin - you may also wanna check out the yaqin mc-100b; i know more than one person who got one of these for <$500 delivered...  even a bit nicer, methinks, than the ms-20l; it has triode/ul switching, a little more power, is true dual-mono, and has fixed bias, which means tube matching is not as critical, as you adjust each tube separately for bias...

doug s.
You might look around for a Yaqin MS-20L (approx. $650) - it's a little more expensive than your price range.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAQIN-MS-20L-Push-Pull-Integrated-Stereo-Tube-Amplifier-/140643738716?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item20bf05245c#ht_3180wt_874

A used one, or if you're adventurous, buying directly from China might get you within your price range.

I have the older Yaqin MC-10L non-remote and have been happy with it. Another way to go is put a remote pre-amp in front of a non-remote integrated - I ended up doing that for around your price range (bought a Used Meridian 501 Pre $299 & New Onix SP-8/3 for $279 which is usually around $500).

If you're patient and don't mind a little bit of risk, you can find some great deals - my Yaqin cost $480 delivered, but I've seen them go on eBay for around $300.

One other thing to consider is that a lot of sources can handle volume control remotely (Squeezebox, TV's with variable outs, etc.), so even though a non-remote integrated is less convenient, it might be acceptable.

Jim C

charmerci

« Reply #24 on: 25 Nov 2011, 06:53 pm »

..... or if you're adventurous, buying directly from China might get you within your price range.

I've gone that route and I'm not going through THAT adventure again!   :(

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #25 on: 25 Nov 2011, 06:58 pm »
  NAD BBE series. Or Rotel.

charles
SMA

bunnyma357

« Reply #26 on: 25 Nov 2011, 10:28 pm »
I've gone that route and I'm not going through THAT adventure again!   :(

I've had nothing but good luck with smaller purchases (DAC, OpAmps, Tubes, Camera Accessories, etc.) directly from China, Korea, Hong Kong & Russia - but, the risk of a bad transaction, or a power supply wired for another country has made me leery of a direct purchase of an amp.  You see stories on line of people having nightmares, and people getting great deals.

Jim C

maxwalrath

« Reply #27 on: 28 Nov 2011, 04:44 am »
Thanks everyone for the input and the thoughtful suggestions! My friend is going to go with a used Panasonic SA-XR50 digital receiver that a member has for sale. Hope it works out. Thanks again everyone...