Polarity question re XLR cables hookup

Scott_W

Polarity question re XLR cables hookup
« on: 17 Nov 2020, 01:47 am »
Q re L & R inputs. Since figured out, all good.

« Last Edit: 1 Feb 2021, 09:21 pm by Scott_W »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: Polarity question re XLR cables hookup
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2020, 02:49 am »
Hi y'all,

I have the classic cherry, love it. The oddity why I'm writing is this: the red ring for the speaker cables are opposite what I've seen forever (i.e. red here is on the 'left' side, looking at from the front).  But, they're marked with the red ring, so, that one is easy. Red to red.

HOWEVER!

What about the xlr inputs? Mine are unmarked other than channel 1 & 2. Not helpful. Which is 'red' ?  Right = red is opposite on the speaker cables, so what about the IC pattern?
On the Stereo Maraschino (STM), the XLRs correspond to the binding posts in that -- the left XLR corresponds to the left binding posts.  When using the front input, the left binding posts (viewing form the top of the amp, front side of the STM facing "down") are the left channel.

Other Cherry Amps have XLRs underneath the corresponding binding posts.  Looking at the back of the amp, "red on the right" is what we've always followed for binding posts.  For XLRs, it's the standard pinout, polarity wise (pin 1 = GND, pin 2 = pos, pin 3 = neg).

Scott_W

« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2020, 03:07 am »
()
« Last Edit: 1 Feb 2021, 09:06 pm by Scott_W »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2020, 04:18 am »
"When using the front input"  ...what is the front input? What does that even mean?

"front side facing down" ...what does 'down' mean? Do you mean facing 'away' ?

You're talking about binding posts. Why are you still doing that? Binding posts are for speaker cables. All I want to learn, for the 3rd time, in what seems to be plain english, is which xlr input is right & left.

--
Which is the 'left' binding post? Looking at this from the front or the rear, which is the left? But moreover, the xlr inputs are marked channel 1 & 2. Why this is, is beyond me. Why not mark them L & R ?

The speaker posts are marked red on what to me is the 'left' side, opposite every other piece of gear I've owned my entire life. But again, at least they're marked with a red ring.

The xlr have this generic label. This is frustrating, as I'm a UX guy, and you're getting feedback on this (apparently for the first time?).
Maybe it would be better to refer to the binding posts as the left or right PAIR.

In any case, there are many Cherry Amp customers with Stereo Maraschinos.  That’s why I mentioned the STM, because confusion about left/right is much more common due to the front input of that particular amp.

The Classic Cherry is labeled channel 1 and 2, but those are arbitrary.

If you connect channel 1 to the left input, then channel 1 becomes the left channel.  If you connect the left input to channel 2, then channel 2 is the left channel.  You can hook it up either way and get the same result.  Just know that the corresponding outputs are above the inputs.

Early B.

« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2020, 04:32 am »
If you connect channel 1 to the left input, then channel 1 becomes the left channel.  If you connect the left input to channel 2, then channel 2 is the left channel.  You can hook it up either way and get the same result.  Just know that the corresponding outputs are above the inputs.

You can't explain it any clearer than that.

Perhaps you can add -- "There's a 50% chance of hooking it up wrong. If you do, don't worry -- you'll know it when you hear it."

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2020, 04:35 am »
By the way, we do things differently at Cherry Amp!  We’re not locked into preconceived notions about labels or features or “just like everybody else”. That’s just not our thing. We may rethink more than we need to, but it’s better to think more than less.

Anyway, the concept of “arbitrary channels“ is not new.  You decide what’s best in your particular situation, wiring wise.  Typically, the amp outputs in a two channel system are those closest to the speakers they’re driving.  We like to keep things simple.

For the record, we haven’t been asked which channel is which regarding the Classic Cherry or MEGAschino (nearly identical externally) before.  That’s after more than 12 years in production.

All this goes along with our minimalist approach where applicable.  We take things to the extreme INTERNALLY.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2020, 04:54 am »
You can't explain it any clearer than that.

Perhaps you can add -- "There's a 50% chance of hooking it up wrong. If you do, don't worry -- you'll know it when you hear it."

Here you go then:  Channel 1 is RIGHT and Channel 2 is LEFT

TROUBLESHOOTING:
Q: What if the left and right speaker wires “cross”?
A: Swap the channels or face the amp in the other direction.

NOTE: If you have a surround sound system, call me....

This post in honor of the year 2020.

Scott_W

« Reply #7 on: 18 Nov 2020, 02:03 am »
()
« Last Edit: 1 Feb 2021, 09:07 pm by Scott_W »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #8 on: 18 Nov 2020, 08:03 am »
Well the good news is you'll go another 12 years before getting asked this again.

Since everyone is on the edge of their seats at this point, I do get it now. Treat the entire column as either left or right, dealer's choice. That's what was throwing me. The blocks aren't independent but the columns are. We all see things differently. Or at least I do. So it goes.

Heart the amp. It drives my giant PMC EB1i fwiw. Sounds amazing. Sometimes it's on my Zu Omen Def for kicks, in my other system.

Anyhoots, thanks Tommy. Everyone else: show's over.
Thanks, Scott.  Your kind feedback will be rewarded!  50% off an upgrade to MEGA MK2, if you’re interested, up to a year from now.  Just send me an email (or use the CherryAmp.com contact form).