Open Baffle speakers+Apple computer+iTunes+Airport with Equalizer=Fabulous!

-Richard-

Here is a simple but incredibly effective way to go beyond the entire CD-player issue... CD players are expensive, they need research time and they are often limited in what they can playback... in addition, you can organize all of your music and fine-tune the gain in discreet frequency gamuts over most of the frequency range of the music you are listening to... using a simple Equalizer control panel... so that every musical performance plays synergistically with your Open Baffle speakers.

Deborah used to love to spin CD's... I think she remembered the fun of spinning records in the 1960's... so she resisted my setting up her Apple computer with its built-in iTunes (it comes free!) so that we could record all of our music, organize it into sets, and send it to our amplifier through the invisible waves of Airport Express. Eventually, Deb became intrigued with the idea so we went ahead with it... now she loves it!!

Airport Express uses 2 small devices... one connects to the modem and the other connects to our amplifier with RCA cables (the device plugs into an electrical outlet). You can record all of your CD's as you listen to them... it is very fast!!!

iTunes lets you organize your music into convenient hierarchal sets and folders. You can have iTunes play music continuously down a list, randomly, or you can choose specific tunes from each CD and create your own musical sequences, or play one stored CD at a time. Easy!!

Before you record a CD go into Preferences: select Import Settings. I chose WAV Encoder, Setting: Custom, 48.000 kHz, 16 bit, Stereo. IMPORTANT: select: "Use error correction when reading Audio CD's." That advice came from Vinnie Rossi of Red Wine Audio... Art Dudley, in a Stereophile article said that once you record your CD's with error correction they sound much better than the original CD! Musically s-m-o-o-t-h!

Apple even provides iTunes with an Equalizer... it is a digital floating panel with 10 sliders for controlling discreet frequency gamuts of your recording from 32 Hz to 16k Hz... each slider has a -12 dB to +12 dB range of control. The Equalizer has pre-sets, titled Classical, Jazz and so on. You only have to touch any of the 10 sliders with your mouse's cursor and it goes into Manual mode for fine-tuning each sliders - or + range. Easy!

The result is very simple but incredibly effective way of optimizing your music for your Open Baffle speakers. Yes... there are fancy digital Equalizers available that will give you more "control"... but as Leondardo da Vinci said: " Simplicity is elegance or the ultimate sophistication."

Audio enthusiasts pay thousands of dollars for devices that store their music on internal hard-drives, like the Olive... and the prices of many of these devices go up from there, besides they are often complex and have problems. You can do the same thing... even better! with your Apple computer... and using iTunes and 2 Airport Express devices you can send your music to your audio system anywhere in your house.

Try it! I think you will be quite surprised how incredible good your music will sound on your Open Baffle speakers... especially with discreet control over your music's dB gain over most of the harmonic frequency range. And you will have eliminated an expensive CD player from the audio equation... the money you save will buy a great deal of music! A nice saving in these uncertain and difficult times.

With Warmest Regards ~ Richard
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2010, 08:32 am by -Richard- »

Alwayswantmore

Hi Richard...

I'm close to pulling the trigger on Airport Express. [I sold a Wadia 830 to go Macbook and Red Wine Audio DAC via USB -- so I'm on board with your streaming audio philosophy.]

I've been researching the topic and this is the first time I've seen anyone mention that a device needs to be attached to the modem. What device is that? Thanks, Kent

bunnyma357

Hi Richard...

I'm close to pulling the trigger on Airport Express. [I sold a Wadia 830 to go Macbook and Red Wine Audio DAC via USB -- so I'm on board with your streaming audio philosophy.]

I've been researching the topic and this is the first time I've seen anyone mention that a device needs to be attached to the modem. What device is that? Thanks, Kent

The device connected to the modem is the wireless router to create your wireless network that the Airport Express is connecting to. If you already have a wireless network set up, you already have that device.

Jim C

Alwayswantmore

Thanks. I have that.

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
I plan on going apple tv digital out to a DEQX and control it from the remote application that I can down load to my ipod touch or ipad   :drool:

bikes and beats

Awesome.
My Macbook Pro has been my source for the last two years. I prefer it hardwired to my system via a Music Streamer DAC but then it's also an older computer that I only use for music so I can leave it on the rack. The Itunes EQ boosts the bass on my somewhat lightweight MMG's just a touch to make my favorite tunes sound fuller. And I rip my tunes using Apple Lossless b/c of the smaller file size.
Best!
-Mike

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Computer music can be a beautiful thing!!!!

srb

The device connected to the modem is the wireless router to create your wireless network that the Airport Express is connecting to. If you already have a wireless network set up, you already have that device.

The Airport Express itself is a wireless router, and can connect to your cable/DSL modem for Internet access.  You only need an additional wireless router if the Airport Express will be in a different location than the physical Internet connection, or if the computer doesn't have built-in wifi or a wireless network card.

I assume that most homes will have an existing wireless router, but just wanted to point out that a single Airport Express can provide a complete solution to those with small living spaces or limited network needs.

Steve

sfdoddsy

I also use iTunes and an Apple TV and Airport Express to play 1500 or so albums through my Open Baffle speakers.

Some of the music is compressed. Some isn't.

But it all sounds as good in side by side comparisons as it used to through a dedicated CD/SACD/DVD-A player.

And due to my sloth I experience much more of my music collection than I used when I had to get up off my ass to change CDs.

I've even converted SACD surround discs to DTS so I can play them from the couch.

I'll never go back.

D OB G

I have some music stored on a hard drive, from which I use either WMP, mediamonkey or VLC players.  If it would achieve my aim, I could use iTunes.

My aim:

Is there a handheld device, phone, or something, that could act as a remote control to my laptop, which I want to leave hardwired to my amplifier?  The spdif out goes to a Cambridge DAC magic, solely so that the signal can be converted to a RCA digital, which is the required input for the amp.

I don't want to have the TV as part of the system.  If all I can achieve is to have to select the music at the laptop, and then sit down and press play from this "remote", I would be happy.

David

srb

If it would achieve my aim, I could use iTunes.

Is there a handheld device, phone, or something, that could act as a remote control to my laptop, which I want to leave hardwired to my amplifier?

If all I can achieve is to have to select the music at the laptop, and then sit down and press play from this "remote", I would be happy.

An iPhone or an iPod Touch, with the free app "Remote" from the Apple Store will let you remotely control iTunes using a full graphic interface with selection and playlist capability.

Steve

D OB G

Thanks Steve.  We really do seem to be at the start of a whole new music paradigm.

srayle

Hey Richard,

Great advice on the error correction...it really makes a big difference!

Alwayswantmore

Interesting thread. 2 Qs:

1) An iPod Touch works as a remote control for iTunes. Does it also act as a remote control for general functions on a MacBook (like turning volume up and down in Preferences > Sound)?

2.) I need to order about 4 mac / ipod items. Are there any online sites that offer discounts on current products? PM please if this is not appropriate for AC.

Thanks, Kent

srb

1) An iPod Touch works as a remote control for iTunes. Does it also act as a remote control for general functions on a MacBook (like turning volume up and down in Preferences > Sound)?

The "Remote" application will control the volume slider within iTunes.  There may be other downloadable applications to control other Mac parameters outside of iTunes.

2.) I need to order about 4 mac / ipod items. Are there any online sites that offer discounts on current products? PM please if this is not appropriate for AC.

Although prices are fairly tightly controlled, Amazon and some others have up to 10% off on some of the Apple items, including iPods.

Steve

Alwayswantmore

The "Remote" application will control the volume slider within iTunes.  There may be other downloadable applications to control other Mac parameters outside of iTunes.

Although prices are fairly tightly controlled, Amazon and some others have up to 10% off on some of the Apple items, including iPods.

Steve
Thanks. I'm thinking of going to a tube USB DAC with volume control. I'm trying to figure out if I could control the volume for DVDs runing throught the Macbook as a way to eliminate a pre from the config. I know it's a compromize., but 2ch is my top priority.

skunark

If you have a student in your family then you can even get an educational discount which is slightly better than what Amazon and other sites can offer.

Quote from: -Richard-link=topic=79951.msg763493#msg763493 date=1270960826
Airport Express uses 2 small devices... one connects to the modem and the other connects to our amplifier with RCA cables (the device plugs into an electrical outlet). You can record all of your CD's as you listen to them... it is very fast!!!

I would recommend using the optical output over the RCA cables, as it's probably a thousand times better.  All you need is a mini-toslink adapter to plug into the headphone jack of the airport express along with dac which would plug into your pre-amp.   

Also you can do Apple Lossless to save yourself some disk space and it's bit-to-bit equivalent with the WAV/AIFF options.

srb

Thanks. I'm thinking of going to a tube USB DAC with volume control. I'm trying to figure out if I could control the volume for DVDs runing throught the Macbook as a way to eliminate a pre from the config. I know it's a compromize., but 2ch is my top priority.

There is an app you can buy, "Rowmote" ($.99), that duplicates the Apple hardware remote, and should provide system volume as well as transport controls for DVD play.

There is another app, "Rowmote Pro" ($4.99), that provides additional system controls, including trackpad and keyboard.

Steve

Alwayswantmore

There is an app you can buy, "Rowmote" ($.99), that duplicates the Apple hardware remote, and should provide system volume as well as transport controls for DVD play.

There is another app, "Rowmote Pro" ($4.99), that provides additional system controls, including trackpad and keyboard.

Steve
Thanks Steve. You know your Apple products!

sfdoddsy

I don't think you want to be controlling volume using the volume control in iTunes. It works by dropping bits and will reduce sound quality