:deadhorse:

Dwight

Guy 13

Re: SET and Omega experience.
« Reply #41 on: 22 Feb 2014, 02:17 am »
Guy13,

:deadhorse:

Dwight
Hi sadrabbit and all Audio Circle members.
I consider your post as a funny joke,
therefore, you should consider my joke (Sadrabbit) also as a joke.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #42 on: 22 Feb 2014, 02:34 am »
OK...flame suit on...check!  Guy...you have complained in several threads now that Louis has not supported his product at the level you expect.  Could it be that your expectations are not realistic?  Louis is not primarily a provider to the DIY community.  His primary product is loudspeakers.  The fact that he makes his drivers available is a benefit that we should appreciate.  You want box construction specifications including port tuning information that he has been tweaking for years to get to the level of performance that purchasers of his speakers now enjoy.

Speaking just for myself...why not give it a rest instead of keeping on with the subtle, snide comments about him being on vacation?  You want to build a product that is the equivalent of his...but you only want to pay for the driver and then do everything else on the cheap.  Saving money is a wonderful thing...until you start to act like it is his job to help you do so.

OK...now I've kicked the hornet's nest.
Have a good day.
Hibuck...
Hi hibuckhobby and all Audio Circle members.
My expectation are high, not unrealistic.
Contrary to some might think,
I appreciate that Louis offer OEM drivers,
the proof, I bought a pair from him.
Yes, I want Louis to help me make this driver sounds as good
as his finished loudspeakers.
If Louis want his line of OEM drivers to be set up correctly and perform as well as his speakers,
I think it's normal to help his customers in the set up of the enclosure.
Does it make sense, is that too much to ask, what do you think when you look at it that way?
Starting today (I know it's about time, should have done that a long time ago
or even, should have never started that) I will not ask Louis for any design help for his Omega 7F driver.
If I want help in design, I will by drivers from Danny, in the past he helped me quickly,
even if he not always agree with what I did with his drivers.
Yes, I still think it's his job to help his customers that buy his OEM products.
Maybe I am wrong, if I am, not problem, I can bring my business elsewhere,
that's too bad, because I really like his products,
I like his 7F better than anything else I have owned before.
Anyway, I will not annoy or up-set anyone any more as I learned that Louis's OEM drivers does not come with after sales support.
Again, I've learn something today.
I am not upset about your comments, actually I am glad that you post it,
it shows that you want to help,
even if I did not ask for your help, but that's O.K. I like it.
No hard feelings what so ever and have a nice day to you too.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #43 on: 22 Feb 2014, 02:37 am »
Thanks for saying what I, and I suspect, a lot of the rest of us wanted to say. Got your back.
Hi CSI and all Audio Circle members.
Why you did not post what you had in mind.
I would have loved to read your post.
Well, maybe next time, but maybe there will not be a next time.
I guess that's O.K. with you.
Then good.
Have a nice day.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #44 on: 22 Feb 2014, 02:45 am »
I would like to clear up any confusion concerning Omega OEM drivers and Omega Speaker Components drivers.

These are not available as DIY drivers and are only sold in finished Omega speakers.
-RS5: OEM 4.5" driver used in Super 3T, Super 3 Desktop, Super 3i Monitor, Super 5 Monitor, Super 3S, and Super 3XRS.
-RS7: OEM 7" whizzerless ferrite driver used in early Super 7XRS.  The new RS7 has a whizzer but is otherwise the same driver. 
 The Super 7XRS and Monitor will now come stock with the new whizzer coned ferrite driver (it is not the same driver as the 7F DIY driver, but looks the same).
-6 Alnnico: OEM 6" alnico driver used in Super 6 XRS and Monitor.

These are the Omega Speaker Components drivers sold to those interested in DIY.
-5F: DIY 4.5" driver (same mounting as RS5 driver).
-7F: DIY 7" ferrite whizzer driver (Guy, you have this one).
-7A: DIY 7" alnico whizzer driver (This driver is on the AudioKarma build thread).
Hi Canada Rob and all Audio Circle members.
Thanks for that precise and clear information.
I am sure it will be useful to many Audio Circle members.
I have now about 50 hours on my Omega 7F and they sound good,
I am discovering/hearing details from my CDs that where there,
but hidden by inferior and less revealing drivers that I had or that I still have.
In other words:
I am happy with my purchase and thank to Louis to make such a good product available to the DIY and experimenters like me.
That's Canada Rob, as always you bring to this forum a plus.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #45 on: 22 Feb 2014, 02:46 am »

Guy 13

« Reply #46 on: 22 Feb 2014, 03:00 am »
+2, but...

Guy 13 is from Vietnam, so I do want to even imagine what the long distance charges (plus the time difference) would be to call Louis (which by all accounts is the easiest/most effective way to get in touch with him).  And Guy 13 has expressed that money is a serious consideration, so I'm sure he's fustrated.  But Guy, you seriously need to chill out.

OTOH compared to pre-internet days or mega-corporate scenaros it's a total hoot that anyone in Louis' position communicates with us in any format.
Hi JLM and all Audio Circle members.
Canada Rob and JLM
you two know how to put words together that are nice, polite, but still convey the truth.
As you can see, I am not too good with words, well with English words.
JLM I am chilling out, I am completely chilled out or frozen with this matter.
Like I wrote previously, I have learn something with that topic.
I got carried away (As usual or often) and I will try to not make it happen again.
As many of you know already, I am not shy of sharing my personal life with all Audio Circle members,
maybe I share too much and it's boring for some of you, but anyway, that how I am.
Yes, JLM you are right, I am on a microscopic budget, believe me or not,
but my Canadian retirement allocation went from 1,200 $ a month to 350 $ a month
and now I have to live with that, therefore you have to understand that I have to spend wisely
and get all the help I can to build up my last system.
Some of you might not care about that or might even not believe me,
but I swear to God that's the truth, only the truth nothing but the truth.
Thanks LJM for your well chosen words, they always reflect the reality,
look as if you are the only Audio Circle members that understand my trouble or position.
By the way, I don't want any pity, that's my life and I can cope with it.
All of you thanks for posting and please, please keep posting what you think
(In a civilized matter) and tell me if I don't behave correctly,
I know that sometimes (Read often) I need to be reminded.

Guy 13

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #47 on: 22 Feb 2014, 08:35 pm »
Hi Henrik and all Audio Circle members.
I have a Decware SE84C+ SET (2wpc) with an Omega 7F Open baffle dipole
and it's plenty loud, believe me.
O.K. sometimes the volume control is set near it's maximum,
but the sound is still good.
Of course 2a# at 3.5wpc is better and 5wpc is even better,
but 2wpc is enough if you are on a budget like me.
I also have a Niteshade Audio 6L6 pentode
which is 10wpc but that amplifier is pentode not triode
and that make the difference.
That's why the penode amplifier is gathering dust.

Guy 13

Hello Guy,
I am curious as to your findings on the Decware vs your Niteshade 6L6 SEP.  You prefer the sound of the Decware and I am curious as to why.  I have heard the 6L6 and 6N3-CE in a couple of different SET amps and found them very close to the Decware in sound with the extra power giving them a little more authority than the Decware.  I have also listened to the Glow Audio Amp One EL84 SEP and found it to be close to the Decware, and actually superior to it on the desktop.  I am interested in your comments regarding your 6L6 SEP.  Thanks.

Guy 13

« Reply #48 on: 23 Feb 2014, 12:23 am »
Hello Guy,
I am curious as to your findings on the Decware vs your Niteshade 6L6 SEP.  You prefer the sound of the Decware and I am curious as to why.  I have heard the 6L6 and 6N3-CE in a couple of different SET amps and found them very close to the Decware in sound with the extra power giving them a little more authority than the Decware.  I have also listened to the Glow Audio Amp One EL84 SEP and found it to be close to the Decware, and actually superior to it on the desktop.  I am interested in your comments regarding your 6L6 SEP.  Thanks.
Hi Canada Rob.
My very first idea a few years back,
was to buy a Glow Audio amp. mainly because of the low price
compared to many other amplifiers.
But there was a problem with my debit card
and the transaction never happened.
Then I decided to buy the Decware,
because it was 100% made in USA with 100% made in USA parts
and also because it was a SET and re-tubing was extremely affordable,
I even bought from Tube Depot some spare tubes (Electro Harmonix el84)
for 11 USD each.
Then a few years later, via Audio Circle I heard about Blair Lamphear
and Niteshade Audio and what made me decide to buy from him
was the fact (Again) that is was Made in USA,
the tubes were inexpensive and it had more power. (10wpc)
My Decware was O.K. but a little on the border line with the speakers
I was driving at the time. (GR Research V2 and V2)
The sound was and his still good, but the Decware as that little more natural sound, more micro details details, not by much,
but it's there and cannot ignore it.
The Niteshade is a 6L6 pentode vs Decware is a el84 triode.
The other thing is that the Decware is 120V and the Niteshade is 230V.
I want all my stuff to be 120V. because I can plug them to mt PI Majik Buss line filter. One last this, the Decware has a very small foot print compare to the Niteshade, minds you, when it comes to servicing, the Niteshade is much more comfortable to work under the hood.
2 wpc vs 10wpc ? Actually, 5wpc would be ideal for my Omega 7F, but a Bottlehead Stereomour with 3.5 wpc would be fine, if I had the money and if I was sure that the 2a3 tubes sounds at least 2X better than the el84.
I hope that's the kind of explanation/comments you were looking for,
if not let me know, by now, you should know that I like to go into details with my posts.

Guy 13

Louis O

« Reply #49 on: 23 Feb 2014, 01:03 am »
Hi All,

Many thanks for all the support regarding the posts. I do appreciate it  a lot.

Most of you know that I run a complete shop and hand build all my speakers. I am proud that I have built every pair. It’s also very exciting to work on all types of projects and constantly trying to make the speakers better and better. This is very hands on and takes my complete attention.  Therefore at this time I will devote all my attention to complete speakers and all the new models and R/D.  As always I will post all new speakers, finishes and drivers for OEM complete speakers here on our forum first.

Lots of new info will be introduced regarding Paramount my all new 8” full range and the SpeedTwelve. I’m very excited about the new drivers and a dual driver omni that is on the bench. 

DIY drivers are going into storage.

Very soon I will be introducing new products and also an updated website.

Thanks again,
Louis

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #50 on: 24 Feb 2014, 08:21 pm »
Hi All,

Many thanks for all the support regarding the posts. I do appreciate it  a lot.

Most of you know that I run a complete shop and hand build all my speakers. I am proud that I have built every pair. It’s also very exciting to work on all types of projects and constantly trying to make the speakers better and better. This is very hands on and takes my complete attention.  Therefore at this time I will devote all my attention to complete speakers and all the new models and R/D.  As always I will post all new speakers, finishes and drivers for OEM complete speakers here on our forum first.

Lots of new info will be introduced regarding Paramount my all new 8” full range and the SpeedTwelve. I’m very excited about the new drivers and a dual driver omni that is on the bench. 

DIY drivers are going into storage.

Very soon I will be introducing new products and also an updated website.

Thanks again,
Louis
Hello All,
As webmaster for all Louis' websites, the Omega Speaker Components website has been shut down with the exception of the home page announcing the shut down.  The links to his Omega and Hoyt-Bedford websites, and the AudioCircle forum are still active.  All the best to Louis in continuing with his OEM products, and the development of new ones.  Every model of his I have heard has been a winner - not a dud in the lot.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #51 on: 24 Feb 2014, 08:35 pm »
Hi Canada Rob.
My very first idea a few years back,
was to buy a Glow Audio amp. mainly because of the low price
compared to many other amplifiers.
But there was a problem with my debit card
and the transaction never happened.
Then I decided to buy the Decware,
because it was 100% made in USA with 100% made in USA parts
and also because it was a SET and re-tubing was extremely affordable,
I even bought from Tube Depot some spare tubes (Electro Harmonix el84)
for 11 USD each.
Then a few years later, via Audio Circle I heard about Blair Lamphear
and Niteshade Audio and what made me decide to buy from him
was the fact (Again) that is was Made in USA,
the tubes were inexpensive and it had more power. (10wpc)
My Decware was O.K. but a little on the border line with the speakers
I was driving at the time. (GR Research V2 and V2)
The sound was and his still good, but the Decware as that little more natural sound, more micro details details, not by much,
but it's there and cannot ignore it.
The Niteshade is a 6L6 pentode vs Decware is a el84 triode.
The other thing is that the Decware is 120V and the Niteshade is 230V.
I want all my stuff to be 120V. because I can plug them to mt PI Majik Buss line filter. One last this, the Decware has a very small foot print compare to the Niteshade, minds you, when it comes to servicing, the Niteshade is much more comfortable to work under the hood.
2 wpc vs 10wpc ? Actually, 5wpc would be ideal for my Omega 7F, but a Bottlehead Stereomour with 3.5 wpc would be fine, if I had the money and if I was sure that the 2a3 tubes sounds at least 2X better than the el84.
I hope that's the kind of explanation/comments you were looking for,
if not let me know, by now, you should know that I like to go into details with my posts.

Guy 13
Hello Guy,
Thank you for the reply.  The 6L6 is a great sounding tube and it may not be a lot of work to switch your amp from SEP to SET.  Often the octal based tube amps can take quite a few different tubes making them a rollers dream, often without re-biasing between different tubes.  Concerning the 230V, some power transformers have connections for more than one voltage, so it might be worth checking into.

Guy 13

« Reply #52 on: 25 Feb 2014, 12:11 am »
Hello Guy,
Thank you for the reply.  The 6L6 is a great sounding tube and it may not be a lot of work to switch your amp from SEP to SET.  Often the octal based tube amps can take quite a few different tubes making them a rollers dream, often without re-biasing between different tubes.  Concerning the 230V, some power transformers have connections for more than one voltage, so it might be worth checking into.
Hi Canada Rob or Rob or is it Robert?
Blair Lamphear of Niteshade Audio did not recommend switching
from pentode to triode mode with his amplifier,
he said it was a little complicated.
For the switching from 230V to 120V.
(Maybe he just did not want to do it.)
I know it's very simple,
I even have a diagram of the transformer wires,
but I did not do it,
because my intention is to sell it to a Vietnamese here.
EL84, EL36, 6L6, 6V6 and the same are all good sounding tubes,
when the circuit is appropriate.
Thanks for your comments.

Guy 13

raysracing

« Reply #53 on: 31 Mar 2014, 11:32 pm »
Another success story. This time a guy came to buy my Tekton Lores from me. He listened to them and decided he loved them and wanted to hear my main system with my Omega's before he drove home. He was blown away by my Omega and set system. He was all smiles as I played a track. He couldn't believe it was a single driver, no crossovers and the driver was soo small.

Guy 13

« Reply #54 on: 1 Apr 2014, 12:10 am »
Another success story. This time a guy came to buy my Tekton Lores from me. He listened to them and decided he loved them and wanted to hear my main system with my Omega's before he drove home. He was blown away by my Omega and set system. He was all smiles as I played a track. He couldn't believe it was a single driver, no crossovers and the driver was soo small.
Hi raysracing.
Almost the same thing happened to me.
I met at my sister's coffee shop a young American on a business trip to Vietnam
and since he told me that he was a drum player in his spare times,
I invited him to listen to my Omega 7F (Open Baffle Dipole)
with my Decware SE84C+ SET and if he wasn't sit properly,
he would have fell off from his chair.
He said he never heard music and singer sound so natural.
Yes, SET with crossover less speakers.
Thanks Louis and Steve.
By the way, my system did not cost a fortune
and I did not have to rob a bank.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #55 on: 11 Apr 2014, 10:32 am »

Hi all.
Yesterday, I’ve decided to go thru all my CDs to see which CDs
was not played for a long time, mainly because they sounded not too good with my old system.
After playing them on my new system, I realized that some were poorly recorded and some others were surprisingly well recorded when played on my Decware SET with Omega 7F OBD new set up.
I don’t like to use the popular expression:
Rediscover the music…
However, one thing is sure; I heard sounds and harmonics that I did not hear before.
Some of the well recorded CDs were more enjoyable to listen, that was not the case previously with my previous system.
The Omega 7F need the help of a subwoofer, that's for sure,
especially that my Omega 7F are Open Baffle Dipole,
but I can confirm that the same is applicable for the woofer,
they benefit from the hi resolution of the Omega 7F extended range drivers.
Drums have lots of higher range harmonics that makes them sound much more natural.
Thanks to Louis for creating a super driver.
Louis, your 7F drivers are fantastic, the more I listen to them,
the more I fall in love with them.
I can recommend them without any hesitation in OB or bass reflex configuration.
I also want to add that the rising problem with most extended range drivers in the 1 KHz region is very minimal with Louis drivers, no need to add any components that will rob the beautiful harmonics.
Tomorrow, I will get five Chet Atkins (CGP – Certified Guitar Player) CDs
and since Louis drivers are excellent for solo guitar music,
I am sure I am in for a treat.
I will get back to you.
Stay tuned, bring your sleeping bag with a six pack
and stay right in front of your computer.

Guy 13

FireGuy

« Reply #56 on: 11 Apr 2014, 01:41 pm »
Drums have lots of higher range harmonics that makes them sound much more natural.
Thanks to Louis for creating a super driver.
Louis, your 7F drivers are fantastic, the more I listen to them,
the more I fall in love with them.
I can recommend them without any hesitation in OB or bass reflex configuration.

Guy13 - I cannot agree with you more on how well Louis' driver articulate the drum repoduction.   I was thoroughly enjoying Fleetwood Mac's "The Dance" DVD last night.  A true visceral experience enveloped while concentrating on Mick Fleetwood's playing.  The RS5 driver on the Super 5's produce such "naturalness" with virtually no edge to them.  Quite remarkable.  And, image specificity has greatly improved over the last four weeks.  I should have about 120 hours on them soon.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #57 on: 11 Apr 2014, 05:08 pm »
The Omega 7F need the help of a subwoofer, that's for sure,
especially that my Omega 7F are Open Baffle Dipole,

I have never heard an open baffle speaker and no doubt the 7F would need something to augment the bass in an OB situation.  My findings over the years playing Omega and Hoyt-Bedford speakers is that the speaker cabinet volume and dimensions, amplifier, and the room they are in play a part in the bass output.  The RS5 driver continues to amaze me with it's ability to produce "no sub required" bass.  Running the Super 3i on the desktop the bottom end is deep and full if the speakers are backed by a wall to reinforce the bass.  I have always run my Omegas and Hoyts about a foot out from the backing wall with generally good to excellent bass results along with superb imaging.

Another factor that helps Omega's lightweight drivers is a low damping factor amp like a SET, SEP, gainclone, etc. 
High damping factor amps tend to hang on to the driver more tenaciously tending to limit bass output on lightweight drivers.  Standard fare solid state amps with high damping factor tend to work better on heavier common conventional drivers.  The undeserved reputation that SET amps sometimes have sloppy bass is due to people running them with heavier drivers.  All the above said, a fast musical sub or two will enhance any speaker's output.