SET and Omega experience.

raysracing

Re: SET and Omega experience.
« Reply #20 on: 19 Feb 2014, 01:22 am »
The best compliment I suppose is  to say that now it is just about the music. And being impressed. Very impressed.

beowulf

« Reply #21 on: 19 Feb 2014, 05:21 am »
Hi beowulf and all Audio Circle members.
Did you wrote that you have a Omega 7F driver
installed in a Super 3 cabinet?
Do you mean a cabinet you built yourself with dimensions
similar/identical to the original Omega Super 3 cabinet?
Because if that's so, that's exactly what I want to do.
The only difference is that I would like to mount the 7F
on the narrow side of the cabinet, if that's possible
and if there are now down sides doing that.
How about the bass? Do you really need a separate sub-woofer?
For small ensemble and solo guitar.
I think no sub is needed, what do you think?
I already ask those questions to Louis,
but I am sure he's busy doing something more important than taking care of a customer that has already bought a Omega 7F.
Yes, that's a little rude and even impolite,
but am I asking for too much?
Am I too much in a hurry and impatient?
Maybe yes.
Sorry.
But you have the experience,
that's why I would like you to share your experience
with a fellow Audio Circle member.
Thanks.

Guy 13

Anxiously waiting for your comments.

Hi Guy 13, yes I have the 7F drivers in 3S cabinets.  But Louis built them that way for me as I'm not skilled enough to put together a cabinet of that caliber.  They are 35" high, 9" wide and 9.5" deep.  Mine were a Level 2 in Walnut veneer.  I have them back tilted as described by Canada Rob, the sound stage is excellent.  Subs are not needed for music and I play mostly hard rock, blues and their sub genres with a little classical and jazz thrown in so the music I listen to is not what I would call bass shy.  My speakers however also do double duty with movies and I'm also interested (and just getting started) in room treatments and bass equalization so I have recently purchased a cheap subwoofer (Audioengine S8) that I picked up on MassDrop for $250.00 to play around with until I can afford one of Louis' DeepOMEGA Microns.  I plan on experimenting with the room equalization features using REW and JRiver and getting more into my room treatments in the future, but it's also a living room and I have kids and a dog so I got to keep it real when it comes to stuff like that.  These are the best speakers I have owned and the only way I would get a different pair would be to move up the Omega line into the Super 6XRS, but I would need another amp with a few more watts for those (like the Decware Torii MK III or Zen Mystery Amp).

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics, but this will give you an idea of how the drivers fit in ...

« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2014, 12:27 am by beowulf »

Guy 13

« Reply #22 on: 19 Feb 2014, 10:46 am »

Hi Beowulf and all Audio Circle members.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my questions
and comment, it’s highly appreciated.
I did not expect any picture, therefore that’s a bonus for me, even if the quality is so, so... Thanks.
I am use to that kind of quality, because nowadays everybody takes pictures with their phone.
I see on the pictures that your 7driver does not have a wizard come (Tweeter) mine has one.
After checking on the Omega website, I see that your cabinet is the model 3S (35” X 9” X 9.5”) and the driver is the RS5, therefore not a 7F.
Please confirm, I am 99,9999% sure of what I wrote.
Louis gave me the following dimensions for the cabinet for my 7F (35”H X 13”W X 9”D) which is much bigger than your cabinet.
It’s a 6XRS cabinet.
If that’s so, I should get even more bass than your cabinet.
I am still waiting for Louis to confirm that I can mount the 7F on the 9” side of the cabinet. 
By the way, the vent port on your cabinet is it a the bottom or in the back?

DSC8826

Thanks again and enjoy your system.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #23 on: 19 Feb 2014, 10:54 am »
Interesting discussion. Has anyone tried to run the Super 6 (93 db) on 2w - I have a modded Almarro a205II and have always thought of converting it to triode, though the 2w it will produce will not be sufficient at least on paper?

Cheers
Henrik
Hi Henrik and all Audio Circle members.
I have a Decware SE84C+ SET (2wpc) with an Omega 7F Open baffle dipole
and it's plenty loud, believe me.
O.K. sometimes the volume control is set near it's maximum,
but the sound is still good.
Of course 2a# at 3.5wpc is better and 5wpc is even better,
but 2wpc is enough if you are on a budget like me.
I also have a Niteshade Audio 6L6 pentode
which is 10wpc but that amplifier is pentode not triode
and that make the difference.
That's why the penode amplifier is gathering dust.

Guy 13

seikosha

« Reply #24 on: 19 Feb 2014, 11:52 am »

I see on the pictures that your 7driver does not have a wizard come (Tweeter) mine has one.
After checking on the Omega website, I see that your cabinet is the model 3S (35” X 9” X 9.5”) and the driver is the RS5, therefore not a 7F.
Please confirm, I am 99,9999% sure of what I wrote.

Guy 13

I'm 99% sure that beowulf has 7F drivers.  The 7A's have whizzer cones and the 7F's do not.  I'm guessing that your drivers (Guy) are not 7F's, but 7A's.

Guy 13

« Reply #25 on: 19 Feb 2014, 02:17 pm »
I'm 99% sure that beowulf has 7F drivers.  The 7A's have whizzer cones and the 7F's do not.  I'm guessing that your drivers (Guy) are not 7F's, but 7A's.
Hi seikosha (san) and all Audio Circle members.
I am 200% sure the my Omega driver is a 7F
because it got a Ferrite magnet and on Omega invoice it says 7F
and for your information the 7A is for Alnico magnet,
have a look at Omega's website and you will see that I am 100% right.

Guy 13

seikosha

« Reply #26 on: 19 Feb 2014, 02:30 pm »
Hi seikosha (san) and all Audio Circle members.
I am 200% sure the my Omega driver is a 7F
because it got a Ferrite magnet and on Omega invoice it says 7F
and for your information the 7A is for Alnico magnet,
have a look at Omega's website and you will see that I am 100% right.

Guy 13

This is interesting.  There must be different versions of the 7 series drivers out there.  In this thread

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=121531.msg1286056#msg1286056

there is a 7 series without a whizzer.  When asked about it, Louis stated that the Alnicos have whizzers.  I wonder what the real scoop is on this.  Maybe Louis has DIY 7 series drivers and then those that he only uses in his production systems similar to the RS5 and 5F drivers.

gab

« Reply #27 on: 19 Feb 2014, 03:08 pm »
This is interesting.  There must be different versions of the 7 series drivers out there.  In this thread

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=121531.msg1286056#msg1286056

there is a 7 series without a whizzer.  When asked about it, Louis stated that the Alnicos have whizzers.  I wonder what the real scoop is on this.  Maybe Louis has DIY 7 series drivers and then those that he only uses in his production systems similar to the RS5 and 5F drivers.

Guy13 - your drivers look like 7Fs from the rear (ferrite) but 7As (with whizzer) from the front. Louis will have to chime in on this one.

gab

EDIT: never mind what I said above. Just looked at the website and see that the 7Fs also have the whizzer. I could have sworn the last time I looked it didn't. Oh well my bad.

gab

beowulf

« Reply #28 on: 19 Feb 2014, 09:45 pm »
Hi all, mine are custom.  For sure they are 7F without the whizzer cone.  They can come with or without and Louis advised me to go without so we chose to exclude them.  On the back of my speakers the tag reads:

Omega Custom Shop
RS7 OMEGA CONE
95dB @ 8 Ohms

Here's a few more pics (still with my cell, but in the daytime so they are a bit more tolerable :lol:):

« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2014, 12:28 am by beowulf »

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #29 on: 19 Feb 2014, 10:17 pm »
I'm sure there's a tradeoff with the whizzer.... w/o a whizzer freq extension will be limited to under 20kHz and you will get beaming. A whizzer probably extends fr and limits or eliminates beaming.

beowulf

« Reply #30 on: 20 Feb 2014, 02:15 am »
I'm sure there's a tradeoff with the whizzer.... w/o a whizzer freq extension will be limited to under 20kHz and you will get beaming. A whizzer probably extends fr and limits or eliminates beaming.

According to Louis' measurements on the Super 7's they will go will go down into the lower 40's and will go up to 18Khz. The SPL is 95dB.  There was a previous thread here with the details (albeit the cabinets are the XRS), but the drivers are the same as mine and if you notice he has no whizzer's either.

Super 7 XRS:

Guy 13

« Reply #31 on: 20 Feb 2014, 10:19 am »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
I am very surprised that up to now, Louis did not jump in.
Maybe he went to the Bahamas to get away from your cold
and snowy weather.
He's the one that knows best the Omega speakers.
Anyway, because of lack of support from the manufacturer
of my Omega 7F
I will experiment with the information that I got from the
Audio Circle members.
Thanks to all that have posted their opinion and experience,
it's always good to get a second opinion.
I am expecting a few dollars in April, therefore
I will move my Omega 7F from their present OB Dipole location
to an enclosure with the dimensions of the 6XRS,
that I will get made by my local cabinet maker.
The only information missing is the vent hole diameter
and length and if I can locate it in front of the cabinet.
I might also get some kind of stand,
because I hate to tilt backward the enclosure,
I think it look... Well, not to my liking.   
Again, thanks to all for their help,
I don't know what I would do without you.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #32 on: 20 Feb 2014, 10:40 am »
Thanks for the nice pictures of your set up and listening room.
Very well decorated, everything is well matched.
Nice carpet, furniture, etc...
Thanks for taking the time to re-photograph your set up.

Guy 13.

beowulf

« Reply #33 on: 20 Feb 2014, 09:21 pm »
Thanks for the nice pictures of your set up and listening room.
Very well decorated, everything is well matched.
Nice carpet, furniture, etc...
Thanks for taking the time to re-photograph your set up.

Guy 13.

Hi Guy 13, you're welcome... I'm glad I could contribute and thanks for the compliments.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #34 on: 21 Feb 2014, 08:00 pm »
Hi Canada Rob,

Like you, I run my 3XRS's with a SE84CKC.  I'm thrilled with the sound, but as much as I love it, I of course can't help but wonder what would happen if I threw the 6XRS's into the system.  By any chance have you heard that combo and if so, could you compare it with your current setup?
Hi seikosha,

Sorry for not responding sooner, but I was away for a few days.  I have never heard the Decware with the 6XRS so I can't comment on the sound other than to say 93db is borderline for the little Decware.  My personal choice would be to add a Speed Twelve Studio bass enhancer.  The all up cost would not be much more than upgrading to a the 6XRS.  If you were running a more powerful amp I would then seriously consider the 6XRS.  That said, I still think if you add the Speed Twelve to your current system you won't even look back.

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #35 on: 21 Feb 2014, 09:02 pm »
Quote from: Guy 13
Hi all Audio Circle members.
I am very surprised that up to now, Louis did not jump in.
Maybe he went to the Bahamas to get away from your cold
and snowy weather.
He's the one that knows best the Omega speakers.
Anyway, because of lack of support from the manufacturer
of my Omega 7F
I will experiment with the information that I got from the
Audio Circle members.
Guy 13.

OK...flame suit on...check!  Guy...you have complained in several threads now that Louis has not supported his product at the level you expect.  Could it be that your expectations are not realistic?  Louis is not primarily a provider to the DIY community.  His primary product is loudspeakers.  The fact that he makes his drivers available is a benefit that we should appreciate.  You want box construction specifications including port tuning information that he has been tweaking for years to get to the level of performance that purchasers of his speakers now enjoy.

Speaking just for myself...why not give it a rest instead of keeping on with the subtle, snide comments about him being on vacation?  You want to build a product that is the equivalent of his...but you only want to pay for the driver and then do everything else on the cheap.  Saving money is a wonderful thing...until you start to act like it is his job to help you do so.

OK...now I've kicked the hornet's nest.
Have a good day.
Hibuck...

CSI

« Reply #36 on: 21 Feb 2014, 09:16 pm »
Thanks for saying what I, and I suspect, a lot of the rest of us wanted to say. Got your back.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #37 on: 21 Feb 2014, 09:55 pm »
I would like to clear up any confusion concerning Omega OEM drivers and Omega Speaker Components drivers.

These are not available as DIY drivers and are only sold in finished Omega speakers.
-RS5: OEM 4.5" driver used in Super 3T, Super 3 Desktop, Super 3i Monitor, Super 5 Monitor, Super 3S, and Super 3XRS.
-RS7: OEM 7" whizzerless ferrite driver used in early Super 7XRS.  The new RS7 has a whizzer but is otherwise the same driver. 
 The Super 7XRS and Monitor will now come stock with the new whizzer coned ferrite driver (it is not the same driver as the 7F DIY driver, but looks the same).
-6 Alnnico: OEM 6" alnico driver used in Super 6 XRS and Monitor.

These are the Omega Speaker Components drivers sold to those interested in DIY.
-5F: DIY 4.5" driver (same mounting as RS5 driver).
-7F: DIY 7" ferrite whizzer driver (Guy, you have this one).
-7A: DIY 7" alnico whizzer driver (This driver is on the AudioKarma build thread).

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #38 on: 21 Feb 2014, 10:15 pm »
OK...flame suit on...check!  Guy...you have complained in several threads now that Louis has not supported his product at the level you expect.  Could it be that your expectations are not realistic?  Louis is not primarily a provider to the DIY community.  His primary product is loudspeakers.  The fact that he makes his drivers available is a benefit that we should appreciate.  You want box construction specifications including port tuning information that he has been tweaking for years to get to the level of performance that purchasers of his speakers now enjoy.

Speaking just for myself...why not give it a rest instead of keeping on with the subtle, snide comments about him being on vacation?  You want to build a product that is the equivalent of his...but you only want to pay for the driver and then do everything else on the cheap.  Saving money is a wonderful thing...until you start to act like it is his job to help you do so.

Have a good day.
Hibuck...

+2

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #39 on: 21 Feb 2014, 10:22 pm »

Have a good day.
Hibuck...

+2, but...

Guy 13 is from Vietnam, so I do want to even imagine what the long distance charges (plus the time difference) would be to call Louis (which by all accounts is the easiest/most effective way to get in touch with him).  And Guy 13 has expressed that money is a serious consideration, so I'm sure he's fustrated.  But Guy, you seriously need to chill out.

OTOH compared to pre-internet days or mega-corporate scenaros it's a total hoot that anyone in Louis' position communicates with us in any format.