Built stands for 1.7i s

BikeFi10

Built stands for 1.7i s
« on: 24 Oct 2022, 03:53 pm »
Audiobliss has a topic here for similar stands but I posted new to update.
So, dont try this at home unless your patient, have time, skilled with wood and metal.
Lucky to have a friend make the steel braces, but it took alot of measuring and remeasuring to align things.
Cost was about $80.00 and MULTIPLE trips to 4 different hardware stores. Glad I did not order online as I returned many wrong size parts.
Hope pix come through.

BikeFi10

Re: Built stands for 1.7i s
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2022, 04:14 pm »
Sorry pix are sideways and not super clear, old cheap phone.
Those are T nuts used in reverse on the cross wood braces under fabric. Had to custum cut rubber spacers between metal braces and speaker for isolation.
 It was very difficult to align holes on braces with Tnuts. Scarey drilling pilot holes for Tnut screws, but time and patients prevailed.
The new stands add ALOT of weight, maybe 25 lbs each. At least their on vinyl floor, so they slide pretty well on felt pad feet.
About 90% done with 2nd stand then Ill critque if any sound improvement as some claim.

Chops

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2022, 10:40 pm »
Looks like the finished one is tilted back a little, or is that just an odd camera angle?

BikeFi10

« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2022, 05:12 pm »
It is 90 degrees, just a bad camera angle. I actually had them tilted slightly forward with the old stands, but Id have to add weights on back with new stands as they might fall forward. Wife was sitting in sweet spot when I tilted them forward with old stands and said "that sounds better" .
May be expectation affect, but I think the new stands improved overall sound a bit.

audiobliss

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2022, 11:21 pm »
Looks good,  I thought you gave up on the project.  I like the black with silver side trim.

audiobliss

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2022, 11:23 pm »
I wish someone  would do something to make our pictures  post correctly.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #6 on: 29 Oct 2022, 08:25 am »
I thought I was bad at taking pictures, you guys are MUCH worse.
At least mine are just crooked, not upside down or sideways.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #7 on: 29 Oct 2022, 10:55 am »
It is 90 degrees, just a bad camera angle. I actually had them tilted slightly forward with the old stands, but Id have to add weights on back with new stands as they might fall forward. Wife was sitting in sweet spot when I tilted them forward with old stands and said "that sounds better" .
May be expectation affect, but I think the new stands improved overall sound a bit.

My old MMG homemade stands tilted the panels forward a couple of degrees, very sightly, on advice that it would improve the sound.  It did.  It improved image specificity and reduced that bloated image size issue often noted with Maggies.

audiobliss

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 29 Oct 2022, 06:53 pm »
This is the only site that my pictures comes our sideways.

BikeFi10

« Reply #9 on: 31 Oct 2022, 01:22 pm »
Audiobliss, yes project took much longer than expected. Just had many other things going on. Unfortuneately I could not use original stand holes as plate around fuse & terminals was in the way. Took much extra time measuring, drilling, mounting  8 extra Tnuts. As you see I used your idea with the set back to prevent forward fall. I think it looks fine with black, less noticeable. I may still blacken bolt heads.
Steveford, what can I say, Id rather save $1k + for next rig upgrade than a new phone, but thanks for fixing pix.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #10 on: 31 Oct 2022, 02:35 pm »
You're welcome.
I always wondered why some people have photos come out upside down or whatever and now I know.
I use a laptop so never had that problem.

audiobliss

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 3 Nov 2022, 08:46 pm »
So how are they sounding?

BikeFi10

« Reply #12 on: 6 Nov 2022, 07:12 pm »
Audiobliss, Well, I think there was a slight improvement. My wife who listens regularly, agreed. Of course without doing an AB test it's  difficult to pin point differences, maybe a more "solid" sound. Now, I did move them closer to front wall so they wouldnt be on edge of rug, so that may be a factor too. They went from about 5' to 4' from front wall.
Id like to try some kind of diffusers behind the 1.7i s. I did put  1'x4'x1" panels of styrofoam behind them. Seems to help just a bit reduce thinness/echo.
Whats your take on mod stands vs factory stands?

audiobliss

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 8 Nov 2022, 12:40 am »
Having them raised up and standing straight is definitely better than  using the factory stands. Especially with the smaller models,  it raises the whole stage. Your 1.7s are taller so you already have the hight, but getting them up off the floor and better supported,  should definitely sharpen up your definition and imaging.
Now you just have to play with positioning  and toe in, to make them disappear.

BikeFi10

« Reply #14 on: 8 Nov 2022, 01:58 pm »
Ive tried to make them "dissappear", but cant seem to achieve that. Dan Richie (GR Research) said, because of Magnepans large panel it is more difficult to make them dissappear due to the visual aspect of panel compared to a narrow tower speaker. That may be true as my previous Klipsch towers seemed to have more detailed images with phantom sounds far outside speakers, but 1.7i s sound better. More airy, less fatigueing.
NRD has a whole video for this. Tapeing routes on floor and sliding speakers from LP sides to front wall. Unfortuneatly, the new stands add about 36 lbs to each speaker making movement difficult.
I think someone here put wheels on his bases.  Id maybe consider somekind of low profile rollers.

audiobliss

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 9 Nov 2022, 12:18 am »
Try some of these glider thinks from Home Depot,  then mark the spot and remove them.

Chops

« Reply #16 on: 3 Dec 2022, 07:55 pm »
Ive tried to make them "dissappear", but cant seem to achieve that. Dan Richie (GR Research) said, because of Magnepans large panel it is more difficult to make them dissappear due to the visual aspect of panel compared to a narrow tower speaker.

Keep playing around with placement.

What Danny said is true, but with box speakers or open baffle speakers with dynamic drivers as the drivers are much smaller than the width of the wider than average baffles.

With Maggies (as well as Martin Logans), this isn't true simply because of the fact that the "driver" IS the baffle for the most part, with only a thin frame around the driver. Not to mention that the reflective sound coming from behind the Maggies also help eliminate what effects the baffle width itself has on the imaging/staging.

I also run 1.7i's, bone stock other than some WBC jumpers to replace the stock tweeter jumpers. For the most part, the Maggies disappear in my room with a solid center image and plenty of stage width and depth extending out just beyond the front and side walls.

I've had these 1.7i's for over 6 months now, and every couple of weeks or so I find myself tweaking their positions slightly, and switching from tweeters in to tweeters out. Currently, I have the tweeters in, roughly 6' out from the front wall, about 2.5' in from the side walls, and strangely enough, my speaker to speaker distance and speaker to listening position distance matches that of Jim Smith's suggestions for Magnepans. I find it funny that my setup ended up being pretty much that of his recommendations. And I ended up at those positions strictly by listening, tweaking and fine tuning.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #17 on: 3 Dec 2022, 10:47 pm »
Ive tried to make them "dissappear", but cant seem to achieve that. Dan Richie (GR Research) said, because of Magnepans large panel it is more difficult to make them dissappear due to the visual aspect of panel compared to a narrow tower speaker. That may be true as my previous Klipsch towers seemed to have more detailed images with phantom sounds far outside speakers, but 1.7i s sound better. More airy, less fatigueing.
NRD has a whole video for this. Tapeing routes on floor and sliding speakers from LP sides to front wall. Unfortuneatly, the new stands add about 36 lbs to each speaker making movement difficult.
I think someone here put wheels on his bases.  Id maybe consider somekind of low profile rollers.

I have the 1.6's and mine are 7' apart and 38"-41" (with toe in) from the front wall.  Mine disappear and throw a huge, wide, deep sound stage that extends out to the walls which are 17 feet apart.  I sit about 9.5 feet from the speakers.   Play with them, even 1 inch of movement in any direction can make a huge difference with these speakers.

Tweeters on the outside for a wider sound stage but play around with the tweeters. 

Of course, electronics can make a huge difference in a speaker disappearing or the sound stage with and placement of instruments.
I use a Pass X250 amp, BAT tube preamp and Luxman DAC.

But Danny Richie is right about Maggies and getting them to disappear.

Put either the felt or teflon sliders under the speakers to move them around until you get them dialed in.

Chops

« Reply #18 on: 3 Dec 2022, 10:58 pm »

But Danny Richie is right about Maggies and getting them to disappear.

Again, Danny is not right. If that were the case with Maggies, then no one would be able to make them disappear. Heck, just plopping my 1.7i's in the room where I had my previous stand-mount speakers, they darn near disappeared on the spot. I've never had issues making Maggies or Martin Logans disappear, and with minimal effort at that.

Speakers with wider than normal baffles that are considerably wider than the drivers used, THOSE are difficult to impossible to make disappear. Certainly not Maggies.

Saturn94

« Reply #19 on: 3 Dec 2022, 11:45 pm »
Again, Danny is not right. If that were the case with Maggies, then no one would be able to make them disappear. Heck, just plopping my 1.7i's in the room where I had my previous stand-mount speakers, they darn near disappeared on the spot. I've never had issues making Maggies or Martin Logans disappear, and with minimal effort at that.

Speakers with wider than normal baffles that are considerably wider than the drivers used, THOSE are difficult to impossible to make disappear. Certainly not Maggies.

My experience as well with my LRS Maggies.  :thumb: