New un-named Salk speaker impressions

jd3

New un-named Salk speaker impressions
« on: 14 Oct 2021, 12:37 pm »
I’ve had the new, and at present, still un-named speakers for 2 weeks.  I’ve not had as much time listening as I’d like due to family issues (moving adult kids back in with us :?), but I’ll offer my impressions so far.  First, I don’t do vinyl at all, nor do I use cd’s anymore.  I’m 100% streaming, exclusively with Roon.  I have a Salk Streamer and an Innuos Zen Mk III which I alternate between.  My amp is a Boulder 866. 

First off, I don’t really like writing reviews and using all the typical reviewer terminology.  Also, I really don’t want to start by saying ‘I heard things in this or that recording I’d never heard before”.   The thing about these speakers is that I have heard it before, but just not as clearly, nor with as much detail.  Listening to several songs I’m very familiar with, separation of vocals in harmonies, background vocals, and instruments is more pronounced due to the clarity and detail of the sound.  That’s the first thing that jumped out at me.

My last Salks were BeAT’s, and I really enjoyed the midrange.  The midrange on the new speakers is at a different level.  The clarity of voices, harmonies, and instruments is a big jump (to me) over the BeAT’s.  I mean I really enjoyed how smooth the midrange was in the BeAT’s, but the Purifi midwoofers offer clarity, detail and smoothness that I just can’t get over.  It’s not in your face, but just there, with a sense of detail that is astounding.  The treble is very similar to the BeAT’s (same tweeter) and the overall presentation of the speakers is an impression of space and openness.  There’s no glare or stridency no matter the volume.  Bass is pretty much the same as the BeAT’s, though maybe with a touch less authority.  Do they go as low as Encores?  No.  But it’s pretty damn good.   I’m not a bass freak, so for me, these are more than adequate.

I usually don’t listen at very loud levels (70-75 db) but these can play really loud if you want them to.  The Purifi midwoofers will sneak up on you.  There’s so much detail that I find myself turning up the volume and then think, whoa, I’d better turn this down.   These speakers bring out everything that’s in the recording with a level of detail that amazes me the more I listen.   These are crazy good speakers. 

As some of you know, I’ve owned a number of Jim’s speakers:  Song Towers (standard and RT), Song Surrounds, Song Birds, HT-1TL’s, SS8’s, Encores, BeAT’s, and now these.   I’ve auditioned and lusted for HT-3’s and the Archos.  They are all great speakers.  I have to say though, for me, these are the best Salk speakers I’ve owned--now they just need a name!  Thanks Jim!

rick_reynolds40

Re: New un-named Salk speaker impressions
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2021, 12:59 pm »
Thank you for the write-up.  I was thinking of you the other day...you almost got a PM asking how they sounded.

Jim could just call them the JD3's   

Happy listening

Rick

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2021, 01:15 pm »
It's your speaker and there's only one pair in the whole world, so give it a name.

Got any more pics? That's obligatory. Especially pics of your whole setup. I wanna see that Boulder 866. Geez, man -- it's a work of art.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2021, 01:40 pm »
What is the overall height of these John?

Boulder, wow. Nice circuits there.

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2021, 02:24 pm »
jd3 -

The Purifi woofer's claim to fame is primarily their incredibly low distortion levels.  That is why you sometimes find yourself listening at higher levels than you realize. 

When a speaker sounds too loud, it is most often because distortion levels become too high.  If you take a small boom box and drive it too high, the distortion becomes objectionable and you have to turn it down.  But a good full-range speaker will play at even higher volume levels without sounding too loud.  The difference is distortion.

With these woofers, the distortion levels are so low you don't get those normal distortion cues.  At the same time, you get the illusion that there is more detail in the mids.  I say "illusion" in that there are drivers on the market that are even more detailed (and we use some of them).  But they also have higher distortion levels when driven harder.  The Purifi drivers can appear to have more detail due to the fact that distortion is not masking the detail that is there.

- Jim

jd3

« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2021, 03:33 pm »
What is the overall height of these John?

Pete,

They're 41 inches with plinths.  I don't have the spikes attached so total height would be just a smidge more.

John

mr_bill

« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2021, 04:58 pm »
Where can I see more or learn more about these new speakers?  Sounds very interesting with the new Purifi drivers!

Early B.

« Reply #7 on: 14 Oct 2021, 05:04 pm »
When a speaker sounds too loud, it is most often because distortion levels become too high.  If you take a small boom box and drive it too high, the distortion becomes objectionable and you have to turn it down.  But a good full-range speaker will play at even higher volume levels without sounding too loud.  The difference is distortion.

Whoa!!  This is good to know. It explains why I can turn up my current speakers more than the previous ones without fatigue. Is the degree of cone movement a major factor affecting distortion?   

jd3

« Reply #8 on: 14 Oct 2021, 05:39 pm »
jd3 -

The Purifi woofer's claim to fame is primarily their incredibly low distortion levels.  That is why you sometimes find yourself listening at higher levels than you realize. 

With these woofers, the distortion levels are so low you don't get those normal distortion cues.  At the same time, you get the illusion that there is more detail in the mids.  I say "illusion" in that there are drivers on the market that are even more detailed (and we use some of them).  But they also have higher distortion levels when driven harder.  The Purifi drivers can appear to have more detail due to the fact that distortion is not masking the detail that is there.

- Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the explanation.  Your description is spot on.  The low distortion in these drivers is what sets them apart.

John

Big Red Machine

« Reply #9 on: 14 Oct 2021, 06:42 pm »
So Jim: we need low distortion midranges, low distortion tweeters, and low distortion woofers (you know, the big round ones at the bottom), and we're good to go. Now get busy! :popcorn:

jsalk

« Reply #10 on: 15 Oct 2021, 02:32 pm »
Where can I see more or learn more about these new speakers?  Sounds very interesting with the new Purifi drivers!

As soon as we establish a name for them (always difficult), we'll get a web page up on them.  But it may be a few weeks.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #11 on: 15 Oct 2021, 02:41 pm »
Is the degree of cone movement a major factor affecting distortion?   

I certainly can be.  Every driver has a parameter called XMAX.  This is the maximum cone excursion possible before you exceed the capabilities of the driver.  As an example, the Seas Excel W18 has a maximum peak to peak XMAX of 10mm.  The Purifi woofers are "long-throw" designs with a massive 30mm of XMAX.  That is almost unheard of.  So under normal situations, it is operating well within its sweet spot.

Also, you will not the strange look of the surround.  This is to reduce surround radiation distortion.

These very well thought out drivers result in extremely low distortion levels even when being played at high SPL's.

- Jim

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #12 on: 15 Oct 2021, 09:42 pm »
Jim,

As far as distortion is concerned, how do these compare to the Accuton from the SS series? Also, can I assume that the impressive XMAX really helps in a 2 way design, where the woofer is performing mid-range and bass duties vs a true 3-way design.

Nick

jsalk

« Reply #13 on: 16 Oct 2021, 04:13 pm »
Jim,

As far as distortion is concerned, how do these compare to the Accuton from the SS series? Also, can I assume that the impressive XMAX really helps in a 2 way design, where the woofer is performing mid-range and bass duties vs a true 3-way design.

Nick

Yes, it is probably more important in a 2-way speaker.  But the Purifi woofers have a larger XMAX and a novel surround that also reduces distortion.  So even in a 3-way, distortion levels are likely going to be lower and power handling increased.  The Accuton driver has an XMAX of 3mm vs. 30mm for the Purifi - 10 times as much!  So it can handle a lot more power without significant distortion. The Accuton cone is likely more detailed, but also higher in distortion when played loud.

- Jim

Jon L

« Reply #14 on: 16 Oct 2021, 04:55 pm »
The Accuton cone is likely more detailed, but also higher in distortion when played loud.

- Jim

Thanks for the information.  When you say "played loud," how loud are we talking about before distortion becomes a real-life problem for Accutons for subjective sound quality?  Perhaps in terms of dB at 1 meter, etc?