Best speaker for Manley itube Stingray?

ncblue

Re: Best speaker for Manley itube Stingray?
« Reply #20 on: 29 Sep 2012, 11:54 pm »
No video but maybe I can make one. Hoever, I just sent the amp back to Decware for some modifications and am using a Rega Brio-R in the meantime. I would say the Zus are mostly about tone. I am a guitar player and You can really tell if the player is playing a Martin or a Taylor for example. Piano is good too, although I am less familier with the instruments. Great dynamics and pace too. They have startled me on a couple of occasions. The new nanotechnology drivers are still breaking in but they are a vast improvement over great speakers in the first place. Vocals are spooky real, even with movies. Hope this helps.

roscoeiii

« Reply #21 on: 30 Sep 2012, 12:06 am »
If you are doing Zu with a 6-7k budget, I would look at the Definitions. Gopher here has some.

S1NN3R

« Reply #22 on: 30 Sep 2012, 12:18 am »
Thank you ncblue. Send me a link when you have your video.

S1NN3R

« Reply #23 on: 30 Sep 2012, 12:19 am »
roscoeiii,

Isn't the Zu definition mk3 an active speaker?

roscoeiii

« Reply #24 on: 30 Sep 2012, 12:23 am »
not sure. Maybe the bass is active?

ncblue

« Reply #25 on: 30 Sep 2012, 12:40 am »
Yes, but we are talking about the Omen Definition which is passive and much less expensive.

roscoeiii

« Reply #26 on: 30 Sep 2012, 12:43 am »
At a 6-7k budget, I am talking about the Definition, not the Omen Def. See what Gopher has to say about it here or on Audiogon.

With a 6-7k budget you are looking at considerably better speaker possibilities than the Omen or Superfly lines. They are great for their price. But 6-7k is a whole different league of speaker. Especially if you are considering used.

ncblue

« Reply #27 on: 30 Sep 2012, 01:06 am »
OK. Missed that, sorry. Yeah, I'm sure the new Definitions are spectacular!

ncblue

« Reply #28 on: 30 Sep 2012, 12:50 pm »
Just saw the new Druid mk 5 is in that range too.

frank111

« Reply #29 on: 30 Sep 2012, 02:11 pm »
 Granted the Sonus are nice to listen to, their extensive marketing represents  a good chunk of their price. In this economy stick to your other 2 choices & consider something from Harbeth or Omega. my humble opinion .

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #30 on: 30 Sep 2012, 03:05 pm »
no reason not to have the vapor cirrus on your audition list, at the price you are wanting to spend - it has been garnering excellent reviews, and has been compared to speakers multiple times its price.  i have no 1st hand experience, but i'd sure like to. 

doug s.

S1NN3R

« Reply #31 on: 30 Sep 2012, 10:38 pm »
doug s,

those vapor cirrus are inefficient speakers and won't be a good pair with low watts amps.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #32 on: 30 Sep 2012, 11:52 pm »
doug s,

those vapor cirrus are inefficient speakers and won't be a good pair with low watts amps.

50wpc of tube watts will be more than enough for the 87.5db/1w/1m vapors in all but the largest rooms.  i heard the stingray driving a pair of 86db-efficient speakers plenty loud, even in triode mode; the room was ~14x22x10. speakers were the small proac 1sc monitors.

then, there's vapor's recommendations:
Recommended Power    15-150 watts via Tube Amp
                                      30-250 watts via Solid State Amp

and, w/your budget, you would be able to afford a pair of outboard subs and x-over to run thru the stingray's processor loop, (assuming you have one w/that feature), which will alleviate the stingray and the vapor from seeing frequencies below your chosen x-over point...  i would be exploring this option regardless of which speakers i was considering...

doug s.

S1NN3R

« Reply #33 on: 1 Oct 2012, 08:34 pm »
doug s,

There is a reason why I posted in low wattage system. I don't just want my amp to run the speaker but I want my  amp to do me justice in pushing my speakers limit. Otherwise I would have used spendor speakers.

kingdeezie

« Reply #34 on: 1 Oct 2012, 09:12 pm »
What about Daedalus audio?

I haven't any first hand experience with the sound, but generally they are highly regarded. I do know they look beautiful whenever I see them in a picture.

I think the DA-RMA lists for maybe a little bit above your budget at 8K, but you might be able to wait for something used for cheaper.

They are 96DB/1/1, which would work perfectly with the snapper.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #35 on: 1 Oct 2012, 10:18 pm »

There is a reason why I posted in low wattage system. I don't just want my amp to run the speaker but I want my  amp to do me justice in pushing my speakers limit.

I think you have the right idea. I really like the latest Audio Note E speakers for this very reason. They are made to take advantage of the good attributes of low powered tube amps, and they pressurize the room in a way that makes listening to music very engaging. I think the latest entry level E is a little over your budget, but if your room is small maybe a J would be the ticket.

Anyway, yes, definitely buy a speaker that takes advantage of all of the good qualities of your amp and doesn't beg for more power.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #36 on: 2 Oct 2012, 02:13 am »
doug s,

There is a reason why I posted in low wattage system. I don't just want my amp to run the speaker but I want my  amp to do me justice in pushing my speakers limit. Otherwise I would have used spendor speakers.

hey, sinner, no problem.  i would not have made the suggestion if i didn't think your amp wouldn't drive the cirrus' spectacularly.  but, to be honest, it did not occur to me that you were wanting a high-efficiency speaker; i never paid attention to which circle this was posted to - i just considered the amp itself.   :oops:  sorry...

i can understand the interest in hi-efficiency speakers - i have an interest myself.   :green:

if you are into diy, you can order stuff from oris that would fit in your budget; their manufactured speakers are quite expensive:
http://www.bd-design.nl/contents/en-us/d83.html

another speaker you may want to inwestigate would be the rethm speakers.  while i have never heard them myself, i'd certainly like to, and they get good comments from those that have...
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/rethm3/saadhana.html

also, one of my two fave speakers at the recent capitol audio fest are the volti vittora's.  while above your price range, mebbe you could find a used pair?  not sure, cuz they're pretty scarce...
http://www.voltiaudio.com/vittora.shtml

the other fave speaker i heard at that show was the horning euphrodite's.  these are way above your price range, likely even used.  (there's an earlier iteration f/s, on audiogon w/o the latest ribbon tweeter and corresponding x-over re-do, which one show goer i talked with said he preferred to the latest, he heard them last year.)  but the models further down the range would be in your price range; there's two pairs f/s on agon as well....
http://www.horninghybrid.com/

then there's the geddes speakers which have big following here on this forum - do a search.
http://www.gedlee.com/Loudspeakers.htm

and there's the danley sh50's and sm60f's; there's an interesting thread about 'em here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=108953.0
http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/

and danny richie's super-v's also have a strong following on this forum; again, do a search..
http://gr-research.com/super-v.aspx

doug s.

trackball02

« Reply #37 on: 3 Oct 2012, 05:29 pm »
I just installed a Zu Undertone powered sub. Very nice, and works well with my Zu Superflys MK.1-B
The combination is getting close to your budget.

S1NN3R

« Reply #38 on: 3 Oct 2012, 10:24 pm »
trackball02,

That is exactly what I have in mind. I'll start with two towers then add a subwoofer after.

woozee

« Reply #39 on: 20 Oct 2012, 06:10 am »
Hi I'm new to this forum but just thought that i would share my setup. I have my Manley stingray II paired with Nola Boxer and my source is Oppo BDP 83 SE. I like the sound of it but I have not heard any other speakers pairing with the stingray so I can't compare. Just a suggestion.