Danley SH-50

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Danley SH-50
« on: 13 Aug 2012, 12:25 am »
I had the pleasure yesterday to hear the Danley SH-50 speakers in a mixed 2ch / HT setting.  All I can say is that if I didn't own my GedLee Abbeys I'd be looking pretty hard at these.  Like anything, not for everyone but if you want all of it, it's the real deal.  Truly awesome!   :thumb:

They were driven by Marantz pre/proc, Hypex UcD amps with a Behringer DCX for the 3 Rythmik Subs.

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/loud-speakers/synergy-horn/sh-50/

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
Re: Danley SH-50
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2012, 01:17 am »

Interesting. I was hot on these a while back but I talked with a guy who traveled a long way to hear some Danleys and was highly disappointed. Could hear the horn, etc., etc. I don't remember all the details but his disappointment sure stuck with me.

Still, I would like hear a pair. For the rockers they should stomp pretty good.

Rocket_Ronny

« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2012, 04:37 am by Rocket_Ronny »

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2012, 01:19 am »
Interesting. I was hot on these a while back but I talked with a guy who traveled a long ways to hear some Danleys and was highly disappointed. Could hear the horn, etc., etc. I don't remember all the details but his disappointment sure stuck with me.

Still, I would like hear a pair. For the rockers they should stomp pretty good.

Rocket_Ronny
Like anything it needs to be properly setup.  These systems get more complicated and few have the patience to really dial them in just right using the proper tools.  I can say with 100% certainty when properly setup they're pretty awesome on all music. 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2012, 01:20 am »
I had the pleasure yesterday to hear the Danley SH-50 speakers in a mixed 2ch / HT setting.  All I can say is that if I didn't own my GedLee Abbeys I'd be looking pretty hard at these.  Like anything, not for everyone but if you want all of it, it's the real deal.  Truly awesome!   :thumb:

They were driven by Marantz pre/proc, Hypex UcD amps with a Behringer DCX for the 3 Rythmik Subs.

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/loud-speakers/synergy-horn/sh-50/

+1

I brought my Ncores over and we had a fantastic time. Indeed they are the only speakers I have heard other than my Abbeys that sound like real live music. The owner of these Danleys said that integration was key and he of course had done a fabulous job, very well worth the trip.

:thumb:

The 1st horn system that I have heard that doesn't sound like a horn. Of course Danleys synergy patent is an amazing read. Each Sh50 has (2) 12's, (4)5's and 1 one Inch compression tweeter.

Give it a listen fellas and toss your pre-existing biases in the gutter first. Find somebody who is a true enthusiast, and has correctly configured multiple subs or a single sub for one listening position. Implementation, controlled directivity and controlled dispersion are key. Very few fellas can hack it, most can't in my audio travels and experiences.

Best,

Anand

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #4 on: 13 Aug 2012, 01:49 am »
Always a pleasure hanging out without you Jason even reserved as we are, thank goodness for Anand's sense of humor.
I'm stealing some time to listen right now, my wife is mad I'm not watching the Olympic closing ceremonies with her but Johnny Hartman and Coltrane are sounding too good right now.

Glad you enjoyed the Danley's I suspected you might.  That crazy notion I had some years ago about these has come to pass and unless life or Danley dictates otherwise I have zero intention to own anything else.  Yesterday when I said sometimes I think I'm crazy it was not about being in this hobby it was may be being crazy for trying to open people to the possibilities of other things beyond the norm.  Even what you heard of the 7.1 setup was to my ear spectacular but some will say stereo is the ceiling.  Trying to open people to what Danley has accomplished is a harder endeavor and one I elect not to pursue, I just listen and enjoy.  You are a tough customer so that you are pleased should speak volumes to those that know of you.  If any one knows of the work Anand has put into his system, the same would apply.  Now if you could somehow help as many people to buy Danley's as they have Ncores, well then sir that might be the ultimate reason the universe allowed us to cross paths.  You are a far better agent for an audio cause than I.  Nothing would thrill me more than having more Danley owners out there.
You too must come to the dark side, Earl won't be happy but he will understand.

I will simply say in a hobby I find truly void of much real attainable innovation and progress I regard Danley as a genius in the field.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #5 on: 13 Aug 2012, 04:06 am »

I have to say this thread is unexpected. I spent quite a bit of time researching and then talking to Danley years ago and had high hopes. I was hearing that people were replacing Avant Grardes, imaging was stunning and no horn artifacts. Some youtube videos of the speakers playing from a long distance were pretty impressive.

Yet hearing the speaker sounding like a, horn honking, concert monitor, from someone very knowledgeable, threw me off the scent. Not someone from the U.S. by the way.

What was the price of the 50s, if I can ask? At 100 db eff. it should be of interest to many glass minded folks.

The SM60s are said to be very close to the SH50s yet about half the price. Don't play as loud, or as low.

Rocket_Ronny
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2012, 02:28 pm by Rocket_Ronny »

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2012, 04:38 am »
The SH50's retail for about $4k a piece or $8k a pair. Like everything you can get them for a little cheaper through dealers. I saw a single one selling used for $2.2k on Audiogon which is a crazy bargain for this level of fidelity.

Anand.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #7 on: 13 Aug 2012, 05:56 am »
I am helping a friend in Los Angeles organize an event (which must remain unidentified for the moment) which requires a PA for a small group of about 350 VIPs which can be easily heard over the sound of an idling Boeing 747 nearby. As soon as he said this, the first candidate for the speaker that came to mind was one of Danley's. In searching his site for a suitable candidate, I see he has not been resting - there were a number of eye-opening alternatives, including one which can single-handedly serve 30,000 people from a single 700lb box (albeit with 6 18" bass drivers,  etc., etc.). That's the Jerico (great name!) JH90:   
http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/loud-speakers/jericho/jh-90/
The ones I think will be most appropriate for our need is the new and innovative GH60, a pair, for their unobtrusiveness and pattern control. Check these out - 199lb only!
http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/loud-speakers/gh-60/#slide3
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2012, 02:48 pm by Russell Dawkins »

lowtech

« Reply #8 on: 13 Aug 2012, 06:18 am »

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 13 Aug 2012, 11:12 am »

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #10 on: 14 Aug 2012, 05:58 pm »
I have to say this thread is unexpected. I spent quite a bit of time researching and then talking to Danley years ago and had high hopes. I was hearing that people were replacing Avant Grardes, imaging was stunning and no horn artifacts. Some youtube videos of the speakers playing from a long distance were pretty impressive.

Yet hearing the speaker sounding like a, horn honking, concert monitor, from someone very knowledgeable, threw me off the scent. Not someone from the U.S. by the way.

What was the price of the 50s, if I can ask? At 100 db eff. it should be of interest to many glass minded folks.

The SM60s are said to be very close to the SH50s yet about half the price. Don't play as loud, or as low.

Rocket_Ronny

The SM60 are indeed a viable option, the SM60F not the SM60M which doesn't go low enough.  The SM60F extends low enough to get you into sub woofer range and if integrated well could be all that is needed.  Some may feel the SM60F with no sub is fine, depends...  To my ear it may be a little better in the uppermost registers than the SH50 if nitpicking but what the SH50's do everywhere else is the reason why they are the big brother.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 21 Aug 2012, 06:33 pm »
Does anyone know what brand the drivers are in the SH-50?

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #12 on: 21 Aug 2012, 09:42 pm »
I knew the Danleys had a great reputation, but I still find it amazing that they compare favorably to the Gedlee Abbeys, given the careful attention to horn shape and the foam for the HOMs in the Abbeys and the seemingly compromised (at the throat) conical square cross section horn of the SH-50s, not to speak of what I had assumed to be the target market for each - audiophiles and studio engineers vs concertgoers.
I gather the tonality is comparable. Amazing!

Could you give a brief impression of what you heard as the differences, please, Jason?

richidoo

« Reply #13 on: 21 Aug 2012, 09:55 pm »
Jason, Danley uses BMS drivers, at least in the mainstream products. The 1" compression driver in the SH50 is the BMS 4550.
Rich

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 21 Aug 2012, 10:36 pm »
I knew the Danleys had a great reputation, but I still find it amazing that they compare favorably to the Gedlee Abbeys, given the careful attention to horn shape and the foam for the HOMs in the Abbeys and the seemingly compromised (at the throat) conical square cross section horn of the SH-50s, not to speak of what I had assumed to be the target market for each - audiophiles and studio engineers vs concertgoers.
I gather the tonality is comparable. Amazing!

Could you give a brief impression of what you heard as the differences, please, Jason?
IMO it's almost impossible to compare the two when not side by side.  I have no intentions of replacing my Abbeys.  I went as I was curious and was very surprised how good they (SH-50) sound.  I wasn't expecting the performance that I heard.  The tone isn't the same and I'm confident with that statement and am prety sure I could give more but of course it would be my subjective opinions and that means nothing. 

For years I was really against pro audio equipment but it's easy to get caught up in "hi-fi" equipment.  In the end, follow science and your ears and you will be guided down a fantastic path. 

I'll say this.  If I didn't own GedLee Abbeys and needed a speaker I think I could be happy with them and multi-subs.   

Jason, Danley uses BMS drivers, at least in the mainstream products. The 1" compression driver in the SH50 is the BMS 4550.
Rich

Thanks. 

nickd

« Reply #15 on: 22 Aug 2012, 03:36 pm »
I have wanted to hear a pair properly set up for a few months now. I usually hear an unusal effect from "wave controled" designs. Horn colorations have been reduced by the better designers, but the Image seems locked in place. No room interaction so to speak. It's a strange effect if you are used to wide dispersion products. Not sure I could adjust long term. :dunno:     

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 22 Aug 2012, 03:38 pm »
I have wanted to hear a pair properly set up for a few months now.
Where are you located?

nickd

« Reply #17 on: 22 Aug 2012, 03:50 pm »
West coast, San Diego.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #18 on: 22 Aug 2012, 04:05 pm »
A very interesting design and I appreciate the thread being posted, it's always interesting to me to see innovative products displayed.  But I can't help thinking sometimes what is not said is as important as what is.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: 22 Aug 2012, 05:14 pm »
West coast, San Diego.
I'm sure there are owners in sunny San Diego.  If you're really interested I'd contact Danley as they might be able to help you unless there is an owner of them on AC in your area.   :dunno:

But I can't help thinking sometimes what is not said is as important as what is.
:scratch: