Eastern Electric DAC mods

mjosef

Re: Eastern Electric DAC mods
« Reply #440 on: 14 Jul 2011, 04:35 am »
The new version DAC+ stock will NOT sound anywhere close to the older version with the level 1 mods.

Well that's a bummer ...@ 35+% price increase?  :roll:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #441 on: 14 Jul 2011, 11:15 am »
I can get my mod further modded?

Wayne1

« Reply #442 on: 14 Jul 2011, 12:47 pm »
Well that's a bummer ...@ 35+% price increase?  :roll:

You do get quite a few improvements with the DAC+. True 24/192 USB input and relay switching, There are certain changes to the power supply. I just don't see anything in the pictures, so far, that show anything close to what I do in the mods that will improve the sonics.

Pete,
I might be able to bring your DAC to Level 2. It would involve even more delays. I would prefer to start with a fresh unit for the level 3. Most of what has been done to the power supply and tube output section will be replaced with entirely new circuits for lots and lots of money.

Gopher

« Reply #443 on: 14 Jul 2011, 12:54 pm »
Wayne,

Out of curiosity, is Mike Peshkin still publishing the review of your mods?  I was chatting back and forth with him as he auditioned it, and KNOW he was mightily impressed, but I never saw the review come out (unless I missed it).

Big Red Machine

« Reply #444 on: 14 Jul 2011, 01:00 pm »
It's hard to imagine the dac getting even better.  It is so revealing and the bass is tremendous.  I am an advocate for good power supplies and my TRL gear has serious power supplies in them so this makes sense. 

Wayne1

« Reply #445 on: 14 Jul 2011, 02:54 pm »
Pete,

Adding the Hynes regulators does reveal many more layers of clarity. The level three mod will go beyond that.

Fred,

The last I heard from Mike Peshkin, he had to get approval from James Darby to get the article published.

Wayne1

Stereo Mojo Review of BOLDER modded EE DAC
« Reply #446 on: 16 Sep 2011, 04:04 pm »
StereoMojo Review of BOLDER modded EE DAC

It took awhile, but here are Mike Peshkin's thoughts about the sound of the modded EE DAC.

Gopher

« Reply #447 on: 16 Sep 2011, 04:39 pm »
Better late then never.  Congrats on a great review, Wayne.

I continue to be floored by the quality of my Level 1 mods.  It really is the best digital I've experienced.

ajayrav

« Reply #448 on: 16 Sep 2011, 05:46 pm »

I continue to be floored by the quality of my Level 1 mods.  It really is the best digital I've experienced.

I agree.  The Bolder modded EE DAC makes me grin from ear to ear... :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #449 on: 3 Oct 2011, 10:29 pm »
A little late on the party.  Congrats Wayne on the StereoMojo review.  :thumb:

Freo-1

« Reply #450 on: 3 Oct 2011, 10:45 pm »
OK, gotta ask:

My understanding is that the DAC Plus will not be available for modification, as requested by Eastern Electric.   Is that the current situation? 

The second question is one of diminishing return.  Perhaps the DAC Plus is close enough to a modified original sonically that Eastern Electric decided to let the product stand on it's own merit. 

KJ

« Reply #451 on: 4 Oct 2011, 03:19 am »
Quote from: Freo-1
My understanding is that the DAC Plus will not be available for modification, as requested by Eastern Electric.   Is that the current situation?

Yes.  Reference http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=98988.msg995597#msg995597

Wayne1

« Reply #452 on: 6 Oct 2011, 04:52 pm »
I cannot say the DAC Plus sounds close to a modded MiniMax DAC. I have yet to hear one.

After RMAF, I might get a chance to compare the two.

Bill has asked me to not offer mods. For the time being, I have decided to honor his request.

If you feel strongly that what is done to your unit is your business, as long as you realize any work on a unit will void the warranty and you will have no recourse to a manufacturer, feel free to PM me or E-mail me.

I am also exploring another path in regards to a DAC. It will be a far more expensive item, but the sonics should be amazing. This might take another year to come to realization.

JanJ1

« Reply #453 on: 16 Nov 2011, 01:42 pm »
Back to op-amps; have anyone tried using Burson op-amps with EE dac?