ZU Audio Soul Supreme. Any opinions or experience with these speakers?

AvsFan

I currently own a pair of ZU Audio Dirty Weekends, which I absolutely LOVE! I have had them for almost 3 years. I came close to pulling the trigger on  pair of Soul Supremes which are a lot more expensive than the Dirty Weekends. I was wondering if the price justifies the performance gains. Or I was wondering if I would even like the Soul Supremes as much as I do the Dirty Weekends? I've tried and heard other ZU offerings that I didn't like as much as my current DW's. SO does anyone have any experience with these?

Here is a great review from Stereophile.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/zu-audio-soul-supreme-loudspeaker

AvsFan

I guess no Soul Supreme owners or anyone that has heard them.

RolandButcher

I have the lower-priced Soul Mk IIs and love them - but like you, I've been  curious about the Soul Supremes. I've been toying with trading in.  I've never heard them either. So I'm hoping someone chimes in as well. I really like the aesthetic of the Souls and the Soul Supremes.   

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Many years ago I have see a Yamaha two way floorstanding monitor using a similar internal polyethilene pyramid, it was named speaker of the year by Hifi Choice UK.

The PE shape was rectangular located at botton.
Price was under 300 pounds/pair.
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2020, 07:33 am by FullRangeMan »

morganc

I had the Druid Mk V's which are the same internally and I loved them with a sub.  I have not heard the DW or the Soul Supreme.  The Druids are extremely picky as far as placement and upstream components.  They only sounded great with a very high end Amp, Dac, cables etc.  so you might want to consider that as well before the upgrade.  Having said that Vocals, Jazz and acoustics sounded amazing on the Druids.   Zu has that tone thing down. I preferred the Druids to the Def MkIV's for the most part. 

AvsFan

I had the Druid Mk V's which are the same internally and I loved them with a sub.  I have not heard the DW or the Soul Supreme.  The Druids are extremely picky as far as placement and upstream components.  They only sounded great with a very high end Amp, Dac, cables etc.  so you might want to consider that as well before the upgrade.  Having said that Vocals, Jazz and acoustics sounded amazing on the Druids.   Zu has that tone thing down. I preferred the Druids to the Def MkIV's for the most part.

Yeah, that's what I have been told by others, including Sean and Gerrit at ZU. That some of their other offerings are picky with both upstream electronics and room placement. That's one thing that makes the Dirty Weekends so appealing. Is they are not picky at all with upstream electronics and room placement. When I initially got them, I had them hooked up with a very budget friendly, but still nice AVR and they sounded great. Now with that being said, getting a really great pair of speakers, like the ZU Dirty Weekends, has sent me on an upgrade journey because they do sound a lot better with better upstream equipment. Every upgrade I have made has made a noticeable improvement. Once I fed them real power and high quality amplification though, man did I really hear what they were capable of. No way should $1000 speakers sound this good.

I had the Def Heads in my home a couple of years ago. And I still preferred the Dirty Weekends.

After a lot of conversations with Sean and Gerrit over at ZU, I decided to cancel my order of the Soul Supreme's and go with another pair of Dirty Weekends with the Jupiter Cap upgrade. I am also getting a premium finish, high gloss mirror finish in Ferrari Red. Should be some sweet DW's!

But yeah, Sean and Gerrit both felt that with my listening habits and eclectic taste in music, that the Dirty Weekends best suite my needs.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
Take a look at Stereophile's spectral decay plot, it's a mess, not to mention the ragged frequency response. I heard some Druids before and was not impressed. Having that 10" driver go all the way up to 12 Khz has problems. Imaging was affected by diffraction big time. Images were big and flat. Not having drivers running the length of the speaker makes for a less realistic image overall.

For 4500.00 I would go for some Teckton Double Impacts or Moabs, or Spacial Audio Saphires or save for X3s. Or if you don't mind DIY, something from Danny using the open baffle bass. 

Rocket Ronny
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2020, 05:33 am by Rocket_Ronny »

morganc

Yeah, that's what I have been told by others, including Sean and Gerrit at ZU. That some of their other offerings are picky with both upstream electronics and room placement. That's one thing that makes the Dirty Weekends so appealing. Is they are not picky at all with upstream electronics and room placement. When I initially got them, I had them hooked up with a very budget friendly, but still nice AVR and they sounded great. Now with that being said, getting a really great pair of speakers, like the ZU Dirty Weekends, has sent me on an upgrade journey because they do sound a lot better with better upstream equipment. Every upgrade I have made has made a noticeable improvement. Once I fed them real power and high quality amplification though, man did I really hear what they were capable of. No way should $1000 speakers sound this good.

I had the Def Heads in my home a couple of years ago. And I still preferred the Dirty Weekends.

After a lot of conversations with Sean and Gerrit over at ZU, I decided to cancel my order of the Soul Supreme's and go with another pair of Dirty Weekends with the Jupiter Cap upgrade. I am also getting a premium finish, high gloss mirror finish in Ferrari Red. Should be some sweet DW's!

But yeah, Sean and Gerrit both felt that with my listening habits and eclectic taste in music, that the Dirty Weekends best suite my needs.

Wise choice.  And I bet they are gonna look and sound amazing.  Sean is a great guy.  I'm gonna have to hear those DW's sometime!   

morganc

Take a look at Stereophile's spectral decay plot, it's a mess, not to mention the ragged frequency response. I heard some Druids before and was not impressed. Having that 10" driver go all the way up to 12 Khz has problems. Imaging was affected by diffraction big time. Images were big and flat. Not having drivers the length of the speaker makes for a less realistic image overall.

For 4500.00 I would go for some Teckton Double Impacts or Moabs, or used Spacial Audio Saphires or save for X3s. Or if you don't mind DIY, something from Danny using the open baffle bass. 

Rocket Ronny

I own the X-5'and love them.  However the tone of the Druids with jazz and vocals was top notch.  The X-5's outclass them in many categories but not there. 

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
Tone is great, I get it. But overall the ZUs don’t do it for me.

Rocket Ronny

AvsFan

Wise choice.  And I bet they are gonna look and sound amazing.  Sean is a great guy.  I'm gonna have to hear those DW's sometime!

Sean and Gerrit are both great guys. They have bent over backwards to try to help me. This is my 4th pair of ZU's.

They're really good! It's a speaker for people who love music. Not measurements or analyzing or hearing every minor detail in the recording studio. Do I really need to hear Diana Krall fart.  :D

When you stop analyzing and critiquing your gear and you just enjoy the music, well you know you have it right. I had a system in here recently that all I ever did was critique it, I never enjoyed it, it never moved me, hence why I sold it all recently. 

AvsFan

I own the X-5'and love them.  However the tone of the Druids with jazz and vocals was top notch.  The X-5's outclass them in many categories but not there.

You nailed it. The ZU's get tone right. Music just sounds right and natural to me with the ZU's. I've had speakers that are more resolving, have more details, a little faster in response ,but the DW's do it all right and put it together in a nice and neat, one speaker to do it all package.

Believe me, I know. I have probably had over 20 pairs of speakers over the past 6 years and the Dirty Weekends are hands down my favorite. A close second were the Magnepan LRS's. Man those are great speakers!

AvsFan

Tone is great, I get it. But overall the ZUs don’t do it for me.

Rocket Ronny

Have you heard the Dirty Weekends yet? A little different than their other offerings. I have heard ZU's that I didn't like and ZU's that I did. I like the DW. And I really wanted to hear the Soul Supreme but not now. Maybe one day when RMAF comes back. Stupid COVID! 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Sean and Gerrit are both great guys. They have bent over backwards to try to help me. This is my 4th pair of ZU's.

They're really good! It's a speaker for people who love music. Not measurements or analyzing or hearing every minor detail in the recording studio. Do I really need to hear Diana Krall fart.  :D

When you stop analyzing and critiquing your gear and you just enjoy the music, well you know you have it right. I had a system in here recently that all I ever did was critique it, I never enjoyed it, it never moved me, hence why I sold it all recently.
+1
People that like "flat" measurement speaker should buy a three ways speaker with a big xover.

bryanl9581

I have the Dirty Weekends and have questioned whether I should upgrade higher up in their line.  I believe a lot of the increased cost in the Soul Supremes (especially versus the regular Souls) is in the Radian tweeters.  However, the cross-over is at 12k which is approaching the limit of human hearing, especially for those of us getting up in age.  Therefore, you are paying up for great tweeters, but a small minority of the sound will come from them.

ketchup

You nailed it. The ZU's get tone right. Music just sounds right and natural to me with the ZU's. I've had speakers that are more resolving, have more details, a little faster in response ,but the DW's do it all right and put it together in a nice and neat, one speaker to do it all package.

Believe me, I know. I have probably had over 20 pairs of speakers over the past 6 years and the Dirty Weekends are hands down my favorite. A close second were the Magnepan LRS's. Man those are great speakers!

That's an impressive number of speakers over 6 years!  If you don't mind, what were some of the other speakers you owned?

AvsFan

That's an impressive number of speakers over 6 years!  If you don't mind, what were some of the other speakers you owned?

I'll start at the beginning and the real reason I went down this rabbit hole.

1. KEF Q-500, really great speaker but knew I wanted more.
2. Klipsch, forget what model
3. Tekton M-Lore
4. Omega Super 3 XRS Supercharged
5. Tekton Pendragon
6. Q ACoustics 3050
7. ZU Audio Omen Dirty Weekend x 3 -KEEPERS Have had a pair going on 4 years  now
8. Canton Chrono 702
9. Magnepan LRS
10.Omega Super 3 HO
11. Quad S-2
12. B&W 606 Anniversary
13. Elac DBR62
14. JBL Stage A190
15. Totem Skys
I have had some other speakers here and there, some other Klipsh models

I ended up going with another pair of ZU Omen Dirty Weekends just because of how much I like them. Did the Jupiter Cap upgrade and a nice finish on them. Automotive gloss, Ferrari Corso Red.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
Thanks for inform AvsFan, much appreciated.
Maybe you had experience with the Klischp RF7-III
how do you could rate it among all these other speakers?

AvsFan

Thanks for inform AvsFan, much appreciated.

Yeah, it’s been quite the journey. The red ZU’s are done with the burn in and shipping Monday.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
Maybe you had experience with the Klischp RF7-III
how do you could rate it among all these other speakers?
I mean say with a 10W tube amp.