VR4SR MKII Anniversary, with MKIII midrange upgrade.

Ambiance

Re: Is my room to small?
« Reply #20 on: 28 Aug 2009, 02:00 am »

Dear Ambiance and Gavin,

The Kronzilla DXL is not just a ordinary tube-amp.
It is a rare hybrid combination of Triode and Mossfet and Micro-processing.

This DXL can not be compared with normal tube-amps you mentioned.

The DXL uses a quad of T 1610 at 150 wpc. with extreme powerful dynamics and control at low freq.

Here in Europe this system is one of the most popular amps at the moment.
We launced the DXL in Munich this year driving the Unifield II playing in a hudge hall.
See: http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/munich09/27.html

If you reed French look at this link:

http://www.elfbi.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=889&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60&sid=9ffa13844fcfb8eb7168cac118ee442a

Regards,

Cor

It is Interesting that you recomend this amp. Maybe it is something to consider. I will check if there is a dealer in Norway some where, they might let me try one in my setup!? Have you heard this up against Pass labs?

A.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #21 on: 28 Aug 2009, 02:16 am »
This amp sells for about $25K, correct?  And didn't I read somewhere that the tubes cost about $1K to replace?  Like I said, p-n junctions are a beautiful thing aa

Ambiance

« Reply #22 on: 28 Aug 2009, 02:20 am »
I own the VR5 Anniversaries and in my room, they drop off substantially at 20hz.  I have moved things around a lot and the present configuration seems about as good as it can be...which is great by the way.  I haven't found many recordings that actually contain freqs a the 20hz level so I don't worry about it.  Regarding tube amps, I have heard my speakers driven by $45K WAVAC monoblocks and the low end was nonexistent.  Stay with SS amps if you enjoy a solid low end.  As I have said before, p-n junctions are a beautiful thing.

By the way, what model BenQ FP do you have?  Nice room!
Thank you!  :D

P-n junction is many times the way to go, but I also love tubes. My second system is based on tubes, and I am upgrading it as we speak..
The Benq is W9000 it has about 600hrs on it, and I love the picture you get for a fair price.

BTW love your setup!

A.

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #23 on: 28 Aug 2009, 04:17 am »
Dear Ambiance,

The DXL was released at the last Munich Show.
After the show I took the set to Holland and did a few demo's.
In a few month I compared with amplifiers like Pass X600, Acuphase A 50, Musical Fidelity Titan, MC 501 and Accustic Arts AMP III. All of the audience were convinced since the DXL is that natural fast and dynamic. The psycho acoustical effect is that we easily believe there is real music. Albert's speakers make it even more easy. We are receiving a nice number of orders now.
Once we made a very special system with 4x monoblocks (8x T1610) driving the Magnapan MG 20.1
Wow, this was really special. Our client ordered for four DXL the day after.
You can contact Maxwell Imports in Norway.  More info about KR see http://www.kraudio.cz/.
I can arrange a DXL demo in your room. Where are you located in Norway?

The tubes are very long lasting. After 12 years we did not need our tubes to be replaced.
The DXL retails 28k in euro's.

Regards,

Cor

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #24 on: 28 Aug 2009, 03:30 pm »
I own the VR5 Anniversaries and in my room, they drop off substantially at 20hz.  I have moved things around a lot and the present configuration seems about as good as it can be...which is great by the way.  I haven't found many recordings that actually contain freqs a the 20hz level so I don't worry about it.  Regarding tube amps, I have heard my speakers driven by $45K WAVAC monoblocks and the low end was nonexistent.  Stay with SS amps if you enjoy a solid low end.  As I have said before, p-n junctions are a beautiful thing.

By the way, what model BenQ FP do you have?  Nice room!
Thank you!  :D

P-n junction is many times the way to go, but I also love tubes. My second system is based on tubes, and I am upgrading it as we speak..
The Benq is W9000 it has about 600hrs on it, and I love the picture you get for a fair price.

BTW love your setup!

A.

Thanks.  BenQ is one of the best kept secrets in HT.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 28 Aug 2009, 03:41 pm »
Cor, you mentioned the MC501 monoblocks and that's what I am using.  With the power cord comparisons I have recently gone through and perhaps having reached another speaker break in milestone, the system has really started to sing.  Just this week I have noticed the soundstage has gotten much bigger, deeper and more lush.  Jack mentioned in one of his posts that he experienced similar sonic nirvana with a VR5SE system and that he had to look around to be sure there weren't rear speakers.  As unlikely as that may seem, I had a similar experience.  I was playing a cd that I hadn't played in months...Norman Brown's "After the Storm" and actually sensed that the sound was wrapping around me.  So I'm not exactly sure as to what to attribute this sudden synergy but it's there in spades and I'm done tinkering.  I plan to follow your advice and "not forget to enjoy the music".  Boy do I!

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #26 on: 29 Aug 2009, 06:26 am »
Hi Gavin,

We have spend nearly ten years to discover the ultimate music system.

'If you don't look for the right tires you will never know how smooth your car can drive.'

The KR DXL amplifiers are even more natural sounding. The big tubes are very spacey, fast and dynamic with unbelievable micro detail. The micro and macro information give us the suggestion of reality. Your VR 5 is able to give you this feeling of reality. The (power)cables are a very subtle link in the chain.

Now you will discover that your CD's and Records contain more music than ever before.

Just enjoy.

Cor

McTwins

« Reply #27 on: 29 Aug 2009, 03:50 pm »
Hi
I do agree with ceedee that the room is to dampend. I have tried that in my room also, never will do that again. Now, I abandoned the high absorbtion theory. Your question about the 20 Hz, the speakers will go to 20 Hz but maybe your room can not support the 20 Hz tone, you have lots of leakage in your room. There is room acoustics and building acoustics, two differen't subjects.
Did you build your room yourself?
Do you have some measurement?
Adding more power to your system will not help your acoustical problem but it's true that if you double your power you gain 3 Db.
Why not have four MC501 per module :D
See my gallery.
Thanks

Ambiance

« Reply #28 on: 31 Aug 2009, 07:07 am »
Hi
I do agree with ceedee that the room is to dampend. I have tried that in my room also, never will do that again. Now, I abandoned the high absorbtion theory. Your question about the 20 Hz, the speakers will go to 20 Hz but maybe your room can not support the 20 Hz tone, you have lots of leakage in your room. There is room acoustics and building acoustics, two differen't subjects.
Did you build your room yourself?
Do you have some measurement?
Adding more power to your system will not help your acoustical problem but it's true that if you double your power you gain 3 Db.
Why not have four MC501 per module :D
See my gallery.
Thanks

I Wish I can afford four Modules. Even with a pair, I belive they will push a bit more in the deeper frequency versues my Pass Labs 250.5. The Pass Labs I bought for a set of Usher 8871 BEII speakers, wich where heavy on the bass side, and I had to tone that down a bit.

My room is not that much acousticly tuned as yours, I stil have some RT activity, and I do not think my room supprts the 20Hz frq. But I still think the dip I have ia bit much, and I miss some of the base i the general.

You a sweede?  :)

A.

Ambiance

« Reply #29 on: 31 Aug 2009, 07:11 am »
Dear Ambiance,

The DXL was released at the last Munich Show.
After the show I took the set to Holland and did a few demo's.
In a few month I compared with amplifiers like Pass X600, Acuphase A 50, Musical Fidelity Titan, MC 501 and Accustic Arts AMP III. All of the audience were convinced since the DXL is that natural fast and dynamic. The psycho acoustical effect is that we easily believe there is real music. Albert's speakers make it even more easy. We are receiving a nice number of orders now.
Once we made a very special system with 4x monoblocks (8x T1610) driving the Magnapan MG 20.1
Wow, this was really special. Our client ordered for four DXL the day after.
You can contact Maxwell Imports in Norway.  More info about KR see http://www.kraudio.cz/.
I can arrange a DXL demo in your room. Where are you located in Norway?

The tubes are very long lasting. After 12 years we did not need our tubes to be replaced.
The DXL retails 28k in euro's.

Regards,

Cor

Ohh.. That is out of reach for me. But I do enjoy trying different equipment. If  they will let me test with no string attached, it should be fun. 

A.

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #30 on: 31 Aug 2009, 08:42 am »
Dear Ambiance,

Out of reach? A nice goal for the future.
The DXL is that new there are only a few sets around.

One day they will be in Norway as well.

Regards,

Cor

Ambiance

« Reply #31 on: 2 Sep 2009, 05:17 pm »
To day I had a friend of mine for a visit, and even he said that the basse in the vr4sr are poor.

He has a set of Audio Physic Avanti 5 hocked up to Ayon Typhon tube amp. This set up is produsing signifigant more basse and more details in musik.

I am starting to think there is something wrong with my speakers!

We moved the VS around in my room a lot to day with no improvment in sound. My preveus Usher CP 8871 BEII played much better in all aspects. And that is not how I remember my VS VR4Jr in my room.

One other thing my friend discovered was that the soundpicture has a tendency to lean tword the right in a symetrical room??  WHY?

A.

JackD201

« Reply #32 on: 2 Sep 2009, 06:12 pm »
Hello A.

That is very very curious indeed! May I know what A/V processor you are using and what your bass management settings are? Some processors still cut off bass even when speakers are set to Large. Would it be possible to borrow the preamp from your other system just to see? There's nothing wrong with Pass Labs bass and not with VSA bass either. Another member was having problems in his mixed HT/Music set up and this was exactly what the problem turned out to be.

Jack

Ambiance

« Reply #33 on: 3 Sep 2009, 02:00 am »
Hello A.

That is very very curious indeed! May I know what A/V processor you are using and what your bass management settings are? Some processors still cut off bass even when speakers are set to Large. Would it be possible to borrow the preamp from your other system just to see? There's nothing wrong with Pass Labs bass and not with VSA bass either. Another member was having problems in his mixed HT/Music set up and this was exactly what the problem turned out to be.

Jack

Hi Jack.

My AV Processor is Halcro SSP200. Since I replaced the speakers I have not donne anything with the processor. I had a friend of mine for a vissit to day, and he noticed that the sound was leaning tword the right speaker. To morrow I will switch them around to se if the "fault" changes side as well.
I had a set of VR4jr, and I am going to call the buyer to see if he will let me test the Jr up against the SR. I have a strong feeling that the Jr will out perform the SR, and that will support my theory of faulty set of speakers!?  Well maybe not!??! 

A.

JackD201

« Reply #34 on: 3 Sep 2009, 04:17 am »
Well if there's something wrong with that pair, that's what the 10 year warranty is for  :thumb: 

Ambiance

« Reply #35 on: 4 Sep 2009, 04:43 pm »
Well if there's something wrong with that pair, that's what the 10 year warranty is for  :thumb:

Haha...

Offcorse there is nothing wrong with the speakers, my room is not suited for the VS. A put a add out on my speakers, and one has shown some interest in them, and i might go for Usher BE 10 or 20 instead. This might be as svearing in church for the hardcore VS fan, but I see no other way at this moment. I also put my Pass labs out for sale, may the Pass goes first, and in that case I am thinking of a Chord SPM 5000 amp to replace it. There might be a buyer on that one as well. Ceeping my opyions open at this point.

Thank you all for good sugestions and replys.

A.

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #36 on: 4 Sep 2009, 05:11 pm »
Having had the VR-4SR on display for over a year, a pair of Usher CP-8571 II floorstanders on display for a year and a half, and a pair of Be-20s for almost 2 years in the same room, there is something wrong with the speakers if

a) you are getting a shifting of the soundstage to one side in a symmetrical room
b) you feel there isn't enough bass coming out of the Von Schweikerts

Have you measured each speaker individually?  It sounds like something is amiss there...

The Usher will definitely give you more mid-bass punch and it has more impact, drive, and force behind it all the way up through the frequency band.  But the VSA is more balanced and won't over-emphasize the mid-bass kick like the Ushers.  It's a matter of taste for folks, honestly.  Also, an interesting thing is that if you measure, even compared to the CP-8871 II model, the 4SR will actually go lower in the bass as far as frequency response is concerned. The Usher's actually roll off sooner than the VSA...

If you placed the Ushers in the same spot as you did the Von Schweikerts in your photo, I can understand why they would have seemingly more bass.  The rear porting of those speakers loads the room more if you get it that close to the rear wall.  They'll definitely be thicker sounding and give the impression of more impact and amount of bass.

A pair of Be-20s in that room, with their dual 11 inch Eton woofers will definitely load the room and give you all the bottom end you could ever want.  It will definitely have more size, scale, and impact than the 4SR...  also has a higher price tag as well, at least here in the USA...

Ambiance

« Reply #37 on: 8 Sep 2009, 10:07 pm »
I belive you are right..

After hearing the 8571 BE hocked up to BAT 600 SE, and afterwords having the BAT hoked up to my VS. The 8571 was a bit laidback on the midrange, and tha bass was mush. The midrange on the vs is AMAZING compared to Usher. If the BE10 is somwhere between the two previously mentioned speakers, I am where I want to BE at.. 

BTW the Usher speakers where a bit closer to each other so avoid boomey bass. And the VS goes a bit deeper in frq in my room as well.

What is your experience?

A.

Ambiance

« Reply #38 on: 8 Sep 2009, 10:14 pm »
I belive you are right..

After hearing the 8571 BE hocked up to BAT 600 SE, and afterwords having the BAT hoked up to my VS. The 8571 was a bit laidback on the midrange, and tha bass was mush. The midrange on the vs is AMAZING compared to Usher. If the BE10 is somwhere between the two previously mentioned speakers, I am where I want to BE at.. 

BTW the Usher speakers where a bit closer to each other to avoid boomey bass. And the VS goes a bit deeper in frq in my room as well. The usher atrted to round of at 24Hz and end at 23Hz. The VS starts to round of at 25 Hz and ends at 20Hz. The VS are probably more linear and "correct"

What is your experience?

A.

Housteau

« Reply #39 on: 8 Sep 2009, 10:52 pm »
I have a dip in a frq range between 35Hz to 55HZ at 9DB. For me thats a lot. The room is 5mX6mX2,5m, maybe the room is to small for this speakers? I am also considering replaceing my Pass Labs 250.5 with Mcintosh 501 amps, but I do not know if this will help me much?

You have a very nice room there and it is certainly not too small.  Most rooms will have various peaks and nulls.  I have a similar issue in mine that I have recently addressed.  Here is the link to that thread and my solution:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=69957.0 

The other suggestions given here are also very good.  There are often different paths to get to the same desired place.  I chose not to go down the hemholz road.  I chose the broadband approach that did target my specific issue, but also helped in many other areas as a side benefit of being broadband in scope.  My particular needed treatment was made absorptive at the higher frequencies as well due to its location.  But, it could have very easily been made to reflect those higher frequencies if I had desired to.
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2009, 04:02 pm by Housteau »