Picture Of The Day

some young guy

Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #300 on: 8 Jan 2008, 08:34 pm »
:rotflmao: Classic Nathan......... Classic!!! hahaha

Nice photos S.Y.G.!! Very cute!
thanks... good subject matter!

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #301 on: 8 Jan 2008, 09:49 pm »
Hehe... I'd better not comment this! Its a booby trap I tell ya...  :lol:

Imperial

WGH

« Reply #302 on: 14 Jan 2008, 08:07 pm »

A woodpecker with a sweet tooth.

This little guy visits my hummingbird feeder every day and is very hard to photograph. If he detects slightest movement he's gone, this is taken from inside the house with the camera at full zoom.

He has a hard to see red cap, notice he uses his tail for leverage while hanging upside down.

Wayne

ooheadsoo

« Reply #303 on: 15 Jan 2008, 04:27 am »
These are some of my first shots with my used and cracked D40 with refurbished lens.  I've been thinking about a camera for a while since I've been leaving for work just pre-dawn for a couple years, I guess.  The light is sometimes ok, even in LA.  Sorry, I kept the image dimensions big to make up for my poor composition.  These are some of the sights I see during my commute every morning

Random shot of a traffic signal.  I took this picture without having time to compose carefully through the viewfinder.

I only took this pic for the colors and light, which aren't that great, after all.

A bus rolled by, but my auto white balance failed me and the image came out way too blue.  I fixed it a little in photoshop, but not much, because...I don't know how to do it better.  I also cropped it a lot.  I took this picture without having time to compose through the viewfinder.  I also rotated the image because the original angle was even more awful.

The tower always catches my attention, but I got lucky with the electricity poles and lineup of cars.  Composition is awful, I can't figure out how to best crop it - I think the original angle I took the picture at is irreparable.

This run down abandoned hamburger stand sign always looks amazing in real life at dawn and sunset.  Unfortunately, I took this picture without having time to look through the viewfinder, and this is the best crop I could come up with.

Just a truck with a used car dealership lot and church tower in the background.  I hit it with a touch of unsharp mask in photoshop.

As you probably guessed, I took these shots while driving.  Don't try this at home.  I felt like I was going to crash several times (although in reality I wasn't even close to it,) but at least it wasn't life threatening because my average speed was well under 20mph.  I probably won't do this again, ever.  EVER.  I took maybe 60 shots, these are the only ones that survived.

nathanm

« Reply #304 on: 15 Jan 2008, 05:50 am »
:lol:  Oh man ooheadsoo, your descriptions make me laugh!  It's like the Woody Allen or Richard Lewis photo outing! :)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #305 on: 15 Jan 2008, 11:31 am »
Cool man! That's funny. I did the same thing recently when I got my D40. Althought the first opportunity I had was at night in several inches of snow the day of the GAS audio get-together. That was fun using the steering wheel as a tripod!

Good to see you finally got the rig assembled. I'll expect to see lots of good photos!  :wink:

Bob

ooheadsoo

« Reply #306 on: 17 Jan 2008, 05:49 am »
Thanks for the comments.  Unfortunately, not even Woody Allen can be funny all the time, so don't expect me to keep it up.

Last 2 days of shooting from behind the wheel were absolutely worthless.

I only shot this tow truck because I liked the deep saturated blues and reds.  Naturally, they didn't come out, and I ended up stumbling upon b&w with green filter... :roll:

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #307 on: 17 Jan 2008, 09:27 pm »

Huh? You said hand me the lead... Oh, you were talking to my master.. Sorry about that..  :thumb:

Chomp chomp...

My brothers Dobermann is growing up fast! Yeah!

(If you guys take a look at my canine gallery, you will see those eyes also in the Female Dobe, Kira. (I assume that is grandma')
That is a set of LAZER eyes on that dog!  8))

Imperial
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2008, 09:37 pm by Imperial »

nathanm

« Reply #308 on: 18 Jan 2008, 07:28 am »
This was shot on either Ilford Delta-100 or Efke PL 25, I can't remember.  Taken on the foggiest day over Christmas break, although enhancing the contrast of the wall does kind of lessen the effect.  The 65mm is great for these tight interiors.  You can get dramatically different effects just by turning the camera slightly. 

I still have a rash from this shoot.  Some of the local shrubbery didn't care for me poking around on its turf. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #309 on: 18 Jan 2008, 08:56 pm »
Dude, you are THE MAN!
Anybody that can turn that rat-hole of a place into a cool looking picture is #1 in my book.
Hell, I can shoot a beautiful subject and make it look like crap. It'll be a lot of practice before I can make crap look beautiful.  :lol:

Bob

Levi

« Reply #310 on: 18 Jan 2008, 09:02 pm »
Yeah.  I figured that was once a kitchen. ;)

nathanm

« Reply #311 on: 18 Jan 2008, 10:40 pm »
Thanks Bob!  Really, this burnt down shack is a photographic gold mine, it almost shoots itself.  I don't know how long its been there in that condition or why I never noticed it before, but it looks great.  That's what I love about stone\brick\earth\adobe buildings, even when they're completely ruined they still look good.  A ruined stick frame house is not quite as nice, it actually makes you feel bad.  But stone ruins have their own inherent beauty, they become part of the land in a way.

I made 32" tall prints of these and they look great, especially the window one.  You can see every little crevice in the wall.

maxwalrath

« Reply #312 on: 19 Jan 2008, 08:14 pm »
I was hiking through Karabakh region of Armenia and came across this guy on my way...

This cool lookin' thing was walking about 6 feet from me on the beach in Culebra.  It was about 3' long.

Culebra sunrise:

In Karabakh, these little tour guides kept me on the trail as I left Karmir Shuka.

« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2008, 11:02 pm by maxwalrath »

nathanm

« Reply #313 on: 19 Jan 2008, 10:24 pm »
Cool, you got on your white steed to slay the dragon and then rode off into the sunset! :thumb:

JohnR

« Reply #314 on: 20 Jan 2008, 01:23 am »
How big is the .. lizard?

maxwalrath

« Reply #315 on: 20 Jan 2008, 01:31 am »
How big is the .. lizard?

About 36" from the head to tip of the tail.  I'd guess about 65% of his length is captured in that photo...it had an amazingly long tail.   

JohnR

« Reply #316 on: 20 Jan 2008, 07:06 am »
Wow, that's cool! Just so I know, what is it called? I love the horse pic too.

JohnR

« Reply #317 on: 20 Jan 2008, 07:09 am »

I made 32" tall prints of these and they look great, especially the window one.  You can see every little crevice in the wall.

I like this one. Hard to imagine how it looks nearly 3' tall...! Sounds like your printer is working out for you :thumb:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #318 on: 20 Jan 2008, 07:42 am »
Beautiful pictures, Nathan ... and maxwalrath - great pictures, too - what took you to Armenia?

maxwalrath

« Reply #319 on: 20 Jan 2008, 05:58 pm »
Wow, that's cool! Just so I know, what is it called? I love the horse pic too.

Thanks.  No idea about the lizard...I looked around Google for a while but didn't find anything.

Beautiful pictures, Nathan ... and maxwalrath - great pictures, too - what took you to Armenia?

My grandmother is Armenian, and I wanted to check out the country / culture and explore that part of my heritage.  The hiking trip I went on was very cool.  There is a new trail opening up in Karabakh this spring (along the lines of a much shorter Appalachian Trial) with the goal of attracting eco-tourism.  I was a "guinea pig" of sorts for the trail, reporting on trail conditions, homestay families, the quality of the trail signs, etc.