#$%@ my projector died - LG181 thoughts - pics

BobC

Re: #$%@ my projector died
« Reply #40 on: 4 Aug 2010, 04:18 pm »
You could do a DIY hinged screen.
Hinge it at the ceiling, and flip it up when not in use. You could also get fancy and put some acoustic treatments on the back of it for your two channel rig. You know, to tame those first refelction points off the ceiling.  :wink:

Google search for "Torsion panel" for one idea.

Leave a section of the torsion panel open (except for the fabric, of course) for the CC.

Bob

I think I understand your meaning.  What kind of hinge hardware did you use to hold it up?

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #41 on: 4 Aug 2010, 04:43 pm »
I hung it on the ceiling using three standard interior door hinges.
I use a 7' tall length of 2" PVC as a "prop-rod" when I need access back there. Mine doesn't have any acoustic treatments, but I thought it might be a good idea for your situation.

I can post pictures if you need a visual.

Bob

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #42 on: 4 Aug 2010, 04:58 pm »
My screen is hung from the ceiling. I use some hooks in the ceiling and hooks in the frame. Two hooks at the top and I use a couple of Zip-Ties between the hooks. Then I have one hook at the bottom that I use when I swing the screen up out of the way.

BobC

« Reply #43 on: 4 Aug 2010, 05:04 pm »
I see.  Thanks guys! :thumb:  I like the idea of DIY screen.  My current screen is DYI and cost me about $100, but it's fixed.  I like the idea of double duty - screen / accoustic panel.  I'd just need to keep a step stool handy to reach up high to a latch of some kind.  Plus I'd probably need to relo an HVAC register and maybe some lights.

But first things first.  Need the damn projector.

Hight now I have an old 32" TV sitting on a work table in the middle of the room  :lol:

BobC

« Reply #44 on: 4 Aug 2010, 05:05 pm »
looks like I could get the needed fabric from projectorpeople for about $250.

BobC

« Reply #45 on: 11 Aug 2010, 01:19 am »
So I called projectorpeople to discuss the options...with the Epson 8500UB at the top of my list.  The salesman suggested that the LCOS LG CF181D would out perform it in all areas except black level.

Anyone had a chance to look at the LG?  Any opinions about LCOS vs 3LCD?

Thanks, Bob

LadyDog

« Reply #46 on: 11 Aug 2010, 02:04 am »
Bob,
I've seen the LG maybe two or three times.  It is a very nice projector.  Kind of hard to compare projectors when they are in different rooms, with different screens, andf with different setups, but if it was me, it would make my top three to look at.  The others are the BenQ and Epson you are already considering.

My thoughts on the LG vs. the 8500.  The LG was brighter, better if you are going to use it for day viewing, footbal games, etc.  The 8500 was quite a bit better with blacks.  Which is generally better when comes to movie time.  The rest of the spectrum, colors, imagine quality, etc., was pretty much a wash.  While maybe some differences, they were very mild to me.  I could happly live with either. 

I've not been in the market for a new projector, so what is the cost differnce between the two?

BobC

« Reply #47 on: 11 Aug 2010, 12:42 pm »
The LG is about $300 more.

I'm torn.  While I have a dedicated and rather dark room, brightness is a concern because my wife doesn't like to sit in total darkness.  Also we exercise down there and need light.  Lastly, we entertain guests (mostly for big football games).

On the otherhand, I really enjoy locking myself in the mancave for action flicks...and would appreciate the blacker blacks.

Either choice should be a big improvement over my Sanyo though.

I leaning toward the practical advantages of better brightness, but It's interesting that projectorreviews.com gave the 2010 top pick to the Epson, and the LG was a close runner up.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #48 on: 11 Aug 2010, 12:58 pm »
The LG is about $300 more.

I'm torn.  While I have a dedicated and rather dark room, brightness is a concern because my wife doesn't like to sit in total darkness.  Also we exercise down there and need light.  Lastly, we entertain guests (mostly for big football games).

On the otherhand, I really enjoy locking myself in the mancave for action flicks...and would appreciate the blacker blacks.

Either choice should be a big improvement over my Sanyo though.

I leaning toward the practical advantages of better brightness, but It's interesting that projectorreviews.com gave the 2010 top pick to the Epson, and the LG was a close runner up.

Haven't tried the LG, but the Epson has more than enough brightness to have my lights on and produce a very good picture for watching sports and kids shows on my 110" screen.

George

BobC

« Reply #49 on: 11 Aug 2010, 01:14 pm »
The LG has 1800 lumens and the Epson has 1600...but I believe that statistic is misleading because that is the max possible.  I believe the max setting will compromise the color and therefore you would set it to "best" mode which throws a lot less light.

From memory, a reviewer got best results from the Epson with about 500 lumens and the LG with about 900 lumens.  But I guess it comes down to how much is enough for the given environment.

As a reference point my old Sanyo PLV-Z2 was rated for 800 lumens and so probably was giving 400 or so at the "low lamp" setting.  I can't say I was happy with that.

hmmm, need to read / think some more.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #50 on: 11 Aug 2010, 01:55 pm »
The LG has 1800 lumens and the Epson has 1600...but I believe that statistic is misleading because that is the max possible.  I believe the max setting will compromise the color and therefore you would set it to "best" mode which throws a lot less light.

From memory, a reviewer got best results from the Epson with about 500 lumens and the LG with about 900 lumens.  But I guess it comes down to how much is enough for the given environment.

As a reference point my old Sanyo PLV-Z2 was rated for 800 lumens and so probably was giving 400 or so at the "low lamp" setting.  I can't say I was happy with that.

hmmm, need to read / think some more.

I only use the best mode when watching a movie in a dark room.  I use the higher light output modes for when I want to watch with the lights on.  These modes can be configured to look very good and get fairly close to the performance of the best mode.

It is definitely not like the old days when the higher light output modes looked terrible and were basically unusable.

George

BobC

« Reply #51 on: 11 Aug 2010, 02:55 pm »
Thanks, George.  Good to know.  :thumb:

GHM

« Reply #52 on: 11 Aug 2010, 09:30 pm »
Yeah..I like having a projector with some extra oomph! I would rather have extra oomph(lumens) and not use it, than not have it and need it. :D

BobC

« Reply #53 on: 25 Aug 2010, 01:12 am »
So, I ordered the LG 181 today from projectorpeople.  It should be here on Friday.

Ultimately I was attracted to the extra light and reported advantages of LCOS, i.e. more "film like".

I'll let you guys know what I think once it's all set up.

LadyDog

« Reply #54 on: 25 Aug 2010, 02:09 am »
Bob,
Let us know what you think.  Either of the two you were deciding from would have been a good pick.

BobC

« Reply #55 on: 30 Aug 2010, 01:40 pm »
Well. I got my LG 181 hooked up, and WOW, it's nice.  I mean really nice.  WAY better than my Sanyo.  Do have to keep in mind that...
1. The Sanyo was 1080i and this does 1080p
2. The Sanyo was using component ideo, and the LG does HDMI
3. The Sanyo was 7 years old with a lot of hours on the bulb and this obviously is brand new...

So, I'm sure the above is the main influence, but I can't help but wonder if the LCOS tech is a big factor here.  Because the picture looks so different. 

First reaction is "wow, it looks real".  Then it started to bug me.  Not sure how to describe....you know when you see the extra features from a movie, where they give you the behind the scenes footage?  And the actors look like people on a stage?  Things haven't been polished?  Thats the way it looked...and I didn't like it.  CGI didn't integrate.  Couldn't get into the film.  Felt like I was at a play.

Then I found that it was set to "vivid"...so I selected "cinema".  AH, that's better.  Still more detail, more depth....more real, but without the "vivid" side effects.  I guess this is what people are talking about when they say LCOS has a more "film like" presentation.

I still need to dial it in, big time.  Also, I'm having a problem getting my HD TV channels.  Std def and Blu Ray, no problem....so it may be tha cable box, but I'm hoping it's just a setting. 

Brightness is as advertised....we can watch with the overhead lights on.

Black levels seem to be "black enough" for me.  No complaints.

Side comment, the unit is large.  Over twice the size of the Sanyo.

An irritation.  There is no (or at least I havent figured it out yet) verticle or horizontal lense shift.  You pretty much need to have it shooting straight at the screen, use the mount adjustments and keystone to make it fit.  I miss that from the Sanyo.  Seems like I get it where I want and then the projector moves a little, sags under it's weight and I need to asjust again.  I'll figure something out.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #56 on: 30 Aug 2010, 01:50 pm »
Bob,
The lens shift dial is on top of the pj (page 17).  On page 14 of the manual you will see the 70% shift diagram.

from Projector Reviews:
The CF181D offers vertical lens shift only, which, for 97% of people should be just fine. According to the manual, which has the minimum to say on the subject, the LG projector can position from 20% of a screen height above the top, to the same 20% below the bottom, of the screen surface.

For a 100" diagonal 16:9 screen, that works out to just a tiny bit less than 10 inches above or below the screen surface (screen height is over 49.5 inches tall).

That's a good amount of vertical lens shift. Better than many, but not as much as some of the most flexible (Panasonic and Epson come to mind), but there are plenty of others that can at least slightly beat the LG (including, I think, the JVCs, but, those are close enough to probably not matter)

BobC

« Reply #57 on: 30 Aug 2010, 02:08 pm »
Yes, thanks.  I read the same thing when researching.  I just didn't have time to dial it in.   :duh:  The manual isn't the best.  I'll figure it out.

The projector is mounted pointing straight at the screen, so horizontal shouldn't be an issue, if I set it straight. The mount I bought will accommodate a 1.5" dia pipe to hang from.  Right now I have it screwed to a board on my ceiling.  I'll install the pipe which will allow me to swivel as needed and lock with a set screw.

BobC

« Reply #58 on: 30 Aug 2010, 02:18 pm »
The lens shift dial is on top of the pj (page 17). 

You're right, I forgot.   :oops:  It is "hidden" though, meaning I had to read, look, read again, look again...but I did find it.

Thanks!   :thumb:

BobC

Re: #$%@ my projector died - LG 181 experiences so far
« Reply #59 on: 31 Aug 2010, 04:16 pm »
So, prior to last night I attached my Chief RPAU mount directly to a board on the ceiling.  This fixed the assembly against easy horizontal adjustment.  Not good.

So last night I hung a metal flange, short nipple and bushing from the ceiling and then hung the Chief from that.  Works great!

Now I can simply rotate horizontally to get the projection perfectly straight. And then use the Chief adjustments from there.

One thing I really like on the LG 181 is the keystone feature.  Maybe this is common on newer projectors, but the LG allows keystone adjustments on each of the 4 corners of the screen.  It's pretty slick....allows me to dial it in for a perfect fit!   :D

Now just need to troubleshoot some issues I'm having with my HDTV channels.  It's probably the box, so will probably need to call Time Warner (lucky me) :shake: