biscuit spacing

Arctos

biscuit spacing
« Reply #20 on: 16 Mar 2003, 02:11 am »
Hi Dave,
I hate to be a pest, but I have a high degree of confidence in the advice you give me!!

You mentioned earlier that you use a 3/4" radius roundover bit to round the edges of the baffle, etc.  Does this bit have the pilot bearing or not?  If it does, if the material is 3/4" thick, and the bit has a 3/4" radius (which usually means a larger cutting length), what does the bearing ride on?

Maybe this does not matter with a router table, as I suppose you could set the fence even with the pilot bearing and it would not need to ride on the work piece.

Just curious as to your method, as I have just cut my panels for my first set of cabinets and the next step is to round over the edges!!

Thanks again,

RDS

pem

• http://pemoreau.neuf.fr/speakers.html
biscuit spacing
« Reply #21 on: 28 Feb 2005, 05:59 pm »
Dear Ellis 1801's builders,

Before ordering the right bits for my router, I would like to have your advice.

As far as I understand, you use a 3/4" radius roundover bit to round the edges of the baffle. The radius is quite important. To be sure, does this mean that the diameter of the bit is around  2"?

I have an AEG router with a fixed RPM speed (27,000 RPM), but I have the feeling that this speed is too high to use a 3/2" or a 2" bit.
I am afraid of burning the wood or not being able to maintain firmly the router with such a big bit.

Do you have an idea about how I can do to perform the round over with a fixed 27,000 RPM router ? Can I use a bit with a smaller radius/diameter, or should I consider another router?

Concerning the trim bit. What diameter is the best to trim 1/32" or 2/32" of MDF. I have the choice between 3/8" and 3/4".

many thanks in advance.

kind regards,
  Pierre-Etienne

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
biscuit spacing
« Reply #22 on: 1 Mar 2005, 12:59 am »
As far as I understand, you use a 3/4" radius roundover bit to round the edges of the baffle. The radius is quite important. To be sure, does this mean that the diameter of the bit is around 2"?

Given a 1/2" ball bearing, this 2" diameter seems about right.

"I am afraid of burning the wood or not being able to maintain firmly the router with such a big bit. "

Your router speed is a bit fast, but with a sharp bit you should be fine.  I find sharp bits are more important than router speed when trying to avoid the burn.  Also, if you burn, just manually sand the discoloration.

Do you have an idea about how I can do to perform the round over with a fixed 27,000 RPM router ? Can I use a bit with a smaller radius/diameter, or should I consider another router?

Yep, I suggest you accomplish the roundover in 3 steps.  Each step will gradually cut deeper into the lumber.  The final cut with the router will be mild/thin so you can move fast without burning.  I don't think you need a new/different router.

I suggest practicing this a few times first.  

Concerning the trim bit. What diameter is the best to trim 1/32" or 2/32" of MDF. I have the choice between 3/8" and 3/4".

I normally use a 1/2" diameter but, but only because my bigger 3/4" bit vibrates.  If all things are equal, I think the 3/4" bit should work better.  It will have a larger bearing&cutting surface and be less likely to grab the lumber.  However, either bit will work just fine.

Please let me know if I addressed all of your questions, and if you have any more of them.

Arctos

biscuit spacing
« Reply #23 on: 1 Mar 2005, 03:16 am »
As usual, well put Dave.

I will add my part by confirming that a 3/4" roundover does have a 2" large diameter (measured as the distance between the outside tips of the cutting edges of the bit) and a 1" cutting edge diameter (length of 1 cutting edge).

Also, I have heard from some good sources (I think Dave even said this) that while cabinet edge diffraction is measurable it is not audible, so rounding over the edges of your baffle may be for esthetic purposes only.  Personally I like the look of the roundover so I do this on my projects.  On my next one I am considering rounding over only the top of the baffle and the sides about 2/3's of the way down.

Regards,

R

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
biscuit spacing
« Reply #24 on: 1 Mar 2005, 04:28 am »
Also, I have heard from some good sources (I think Dave even said this) that while cabinet edge diffraction is measurable it is not audible

Yep, I said this.

Personally I like the look of the roundover so I do this on my projects.

Yep, I agree.