Speaker Recommendation - Selah Tempesta vs Vapor Cirrus vs Salk etc

MerRev

All the above mentioned speakers sound like really great efforts and priced quite reasonably considering the drivers involved. 

I've had the pleasure to hear Ryan's Cirrus speakers numerous times now and they never disappoint.  Their a super coherent two way that can pump out some serious volume for a stand mount.  They are much more than just a dynamic speaker though. 

I've been terribly impressed and heard rumor that Ryan of Vapor Audio and John of Musical Design may host back to back sessions later this spring .  That would be a real treat for the Gateway Audio guys.   :thumb:

Doc77

I've been terribly impressed and heard rumor that Ryan of Vapor Audio and John of Musical Design may host back to back sessions later this spring .  That would be a real treat for the Gateway Audio guys.   :thumb:

Sounds like a good time to me!  The 40 hour drive would suck though  :cry:

paul canady

Sounds like a good time to me!  The 40 hour drive would suck though  :cry:

Hey Doc,
How about posting some pics of the Cirrus sitting in your listening room? Any chance of having a demo at your place? Where are you located? Someone on this site may be close to you and would want to hear these speakers in a good environment.

stlrman

Paul,
I will be posting pics of my Breeze when they are shown at Akfest in a couple of weeks.( Curved cabinet, the veneer is redwood burl, with matching redwood baffles. I did purchase the matching stands.
I am located in Pittsburgh Pa, and I am happy to have folks audition the Breeze in my home.
I plan on having a couple a of planned listening sessions for some local audiophiles as well.
 If anyone within a few hundred miles would like to stay with us for a night or two for a longer listen/visit of Pittsburgh, over night visitors are welcome.
 My wife and I run a FREE  bed and breakfast. Lol...  :o :thumb:  ( www.couchsurfers.org )
Todd
« Last Edit: 8 Mar 2012, 04:08 pm by stlrman »

paul canady

Todd, I was really hoping to see Doc77's Cirrus's. He has gushed about these on other forums so Iam very intrigued. Once I get mine I will show some pictures.
The 4 month mark is approaching. I don't have the best environment for listening demo's since I have a big cabinet that will be in between these speakers. It's not bad though since the speakers can be placed 4 feet away from the back wall and in front of the cabinet.
  So Doc, how about some pics?

Nocturne79

Hey guys just saw this thread and I know this is not the cirrus speaker but I have had the breeze speaker since August 2011 and love the sound these guys produce. To me these speakers have wonderful soundstage and I absolutely love the detail I can hear in the music.  I think that they are just wonderful across the sound spectrum from treble, mids to the bass.

I live in an apartment so I never turn them up loud but when I use my Virtue m901 and AVA ultra dac its is just pure bliss to listen to music for me :)  These were my first speakers into the hi fi realm and I could not be happier.  Maybe someday i will sell these to get the cirrus heh who knows.

By the way i just want to clarify that I have no affilation with vapor audio other than the fact that Ryan there built my speakers.

I posted some picks for you guys

have a great weekend everyone

Crazy Nocturne

stlrman

They look nice Tovio.
Now sir, I hope you ordered some proper stands for those. :nono:  lol...
I recommend Skylan stands, but there are many that will work well.
24inch fillable stands can make a big difference.
Todd

Nocturne79

Lol yep stands are on the list eventually. 

saisunil

Seems like AJ has new set of monitors up his sleeves as well ...

I would be most interested in Danny's 8" subs ... regardless of monitors ... I'd imagine they would afford to be set up in 2's or 3's ...

What I love in this thread is very friendly and mature and open communication ...

These are all boutique speaker designers who bring a price to performance ratio that is off the charts ...

npdang

Todd, I was really hoping to see Doc77's Cirrus's. He has gushed about these on other forums so Iam very intrigued. Once I get mine I will show some pictures.
The 4 month mark is approaching. I don't have the best environment for listening demo's since I have a big cabinet that will be in between these speakers. It's not bad though since the speakers can be placed 4 feet away from the back wall and in front of the cabinet.
  So Doc, how about some pics?

Wow 4 months... I just passed the 2.5 month mark.  I hope to share mine as well soon.

I chose the Cirrus over the Salk HT1's because I'm not a fan of TL's.  I chose it over the Selah because I already own a pair of Selah custom monitors for an office setup and although they are quite good the cabinet audibly rings.  Adding 10lb of non-hardening modelling clay to each enclosure reduced the chestiness in the midrange, but did not completely eliminate it.  I believe the front baffle was 3/4" mdf and the side walls 1/2" mdf with a 1/2" mdf shelf brace between the mid and the tweeter.

Eugene2

I purchased a pair of Cirrus and had an issue with the cabinets (shipping), Ryan not only replaced the cabinets, but drove all the way from Missouri to Atlanta to deliver them!  I was out of town when they arrived so he made arrangements to deliver them to another customers house.  The customer that purchased the speakers has several great setups including KEF 201/2 and Focal Grande Utopia monitors.  When I pulled up he came outside and exclaimed he was completely blown away by the sound of the Cirrus and they were well worth the wait...  I use the Cirrus with a KT88 based amp by Verastarr and I recently purchased a hybrid integrated amp by Odyssey called the Kismet, which includes an external power supply.  I have been waiting since September for Odyssey to show up, should be good.  If you have patience and tolerance to deal with build time and poor communication I think you will be very happy with the final result once you receive the Cirrus.  I am not a big transparency attic, I am a former musician that likes to hear real music in real space I had a couple of speakers that I like very much VMPS, the Swan 2.6F and now the Cirrus.  I have heard most speakers, I travel to most of the audio shows.  I discovered the Swans at CES and bought them on the spot, moved into a smaller space and became overwhelmed by their size, a very terrific speaker retail 12,999.  I bought the Cirrus based on cabinet design, components and "buzz."  I will tell you Ryan is a heck of a designer and has built a product that challenges and beats the big boys.  Keep emailing him he will respond...  :D

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Great customer service for sure, but he "drove all the way from Missouri to Atlanta to deliver them" without checking to see if you were home?  Sounds like a vignette from one of those road movies.

stlrman

Eugene, Do they out perform your Swans? What finish did you get?
Can you post a pic of the Cirrus speakers in your set up?
Thanks,
Todd

jonbee

I chose it over the Selah because I already own a pair of Selah custom monitors for an office setup and although they are quite good the cabinet audibly rings.  Adding 10lb of non-hardening modelling clay to each enclosure reduced the chestiness in the midrange, but did not completely eliminate it.  I believe the front baffle was 3/4" mdf and the side walls 1/2" mdf with a 1/2" mdf shelf brace between the mid and the tweeter.
FWIW- this does not describe the cabinets in the Tempestas in any way. They are 3/4-1" thick, have a stout full height vertical brace for the sides, top and bottom, and very effective cabinet damping applied internally to all sides. The curved side panels also reduce panel standing waves substantially, and the non-parallel sides do the same for standing waves in the interior air mass. No cabinet ringing, no chestiness whatever that I can feel or hear. The mids are as clean and accurate as anything I've ever heard. There may be more solid cabinets out there, but the T's cabinets get the job done very well indeed. The reasonable cost of the cabinets leaves $ for things like the very pricey but wonderful Accuton mids and associated crossover parts.

Of course, this is not to say the Cirrus is not a great speaker on its own terms, - I've not heard it, but it looks interesting.

kip_

Since this thread has turned into a Vapor lovefest, is there a reason why Vapor doesn't get it's own circle here?

daz_bike

Hi Guys,

I support a Vapor Circle too.  Although I have not heard Ryans speakers yet, I am impressed on what I have read regarding construction.  I ordered my pair in July 2011 and hoping hear that the are ready for delivery soon. 8 months wait so far sucks :roll: but hopefully it is worth it?!   I'll let you know.

jonbee

8 months wait so far sucks :roll: but hopefully it is worth it?!
This is a worrisome piece of information. Taking a 75% deposit and then not delivering the product in a reasonable time frame, and not communicating with the customers regarding their orders (which is the buzz) is not a sign of a well run business, no matter how good the product may be.
I've seen MANY promising and even world class small and medium sized audio makers blow up and disappear over the years due to business practices that can't scale up. I hope this is not one of them.

roscoeiii

jonbee,

As Vapor is a new company with all the associated growing pains that come with that, cut them some slack.  At least until someone doesn't get what they paid for. Delays, especially from newer companies, are very commonplace.

Life happens, and yes we can hope that when it does, everyone affected by events is kept in the loop. But that's not always possible. Certainly Vapor is learning from this process.

Let's instead applaud the individuals who are following their passions and trying to introduce what they feel are great products into the marketplace at great prices.

tabrink

• lake life is good

+1

jonbee,

As Vapor is a new company with all the associated growing pains that come with that, cut them some slack.  At least until someone doesn't get what they paid for. Delays, especially from newer companies, are very commonplace.

Life happens, and yes we can hope that when it does, everyone affected by events is kept in the loop. But that's not always possible. Certainly Vapor is learning from this process.

Let's instead applaud the individuals who are following their passions and trying to introduce what they feel are great products into the marketplace at great prices.

jonbee

I hope this is not one of them.
And I do. I'd actually like to hear a pair someday. 'nuf said.