Australian REDBACK brand 8 inch twin cone drivers??

zygadr

Australian REDBACK brand 8 inch twin cone drivers??
« on: 16 Feb 2010, 04:13 am »
Hi to all, my first thread on this single driver forum :thumb:

I am considering trying an 8 inch full range unit that has become a bit of a mystery from the supplier : ALTRONICS, in Australia.
I say mystery because the model 2002 (second one) has apparently now been made by a different source and appears to me to be a sort of mix between the two models indicated:

I have had my eye on the second one for some time now and when at the store last weekend, I noticed that this model had the following changes:
1. the surround was now paper as per the first model pictured(was concave foam before)
2. the whizzer cone has changed - shorter, smaller.
3. a PAPER voice coil former(GOOD) was now evident............just :eyebrows:
4.Label on driver magnet was clearly lablelled ''REDBACK'' (Altronic's own label) where as the older version had no label and just some numbering (from memory). The magnet remains as quite large.
5. resonant frequency on label indicates 80hz as opposed to 45hz on the older version.
6. Enquiries have revealed no further details available from the country's sales head office manager.
 He  confirmed that a new version had been made and that it differed from the previous one, but that's all I could get from him.

I could not purchase any drivers from the Perth branch as none were in stock as yet...............still to be delivered.

Sensitivity is rated at 90db 1w/1m and response is stated as 80 - 18,000hz.
No other driver parameters are available. Price is $28.00 AUS. each.

Any thoughts from those with knowledge or experience with the effect of different surrounds, whizzers, paper voice coils and whether this is a reasonable contender for a start on full range single drivers?

Mr Content

Re: Australian REDBACK brand 8 inch twin cone drivers??
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2010, 11:09 am »
Hi zygadr, This driver seems very much to be in low end budget of drivers. At $28 dollars, it is at least worth a play with. You could do a bit of cone and whizzer doping, and see what you end up with.
In fact I might get a pair my self and have a play. I will have a look at them over the next few days.

Mr C :thumb:

Mr Content

« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2010, 11:15 am »
BTW I couldn't find that driver on their website. How did you find them?  :?

Mr C :D

pjanda1

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2010, 08:45 pm »
I recall somebody playing with them a couple of years back, but I can't remember which forum it was.  You may want to search over at DIYaudio and see if you can find that guy.  Is there a smaller model?  That's what I remember.

Paul

zygadr

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2010, 12:43 am »
The model can be found on their website :AUDIO/VIDEO................SPEAKERS.............PAGE 2 .

I've alreadty used the older version a number of years ago when I purchased some for a friend.
They were very good..............natural, no mid range shout or any other nasties.

The new model is markedly different as I have mentioned. The shorter whizzer cone will make a difference as will the surround change?

With a big magnet, and low price, it could be a bargain?

There is a 4 inch version also.

grantnsw

« Reply #5 on: 7 Mar 2010, 02:13 pm »
Hi Zygadr,
$28Au for an 8" full range whizzer driver is definitely within my budget!

The second bigger whizzer one goes from 45 to 18kHz? I may have read incorrectly, sorry.  :duh:

However, neither are listed at Altronics today, 8th March.
I always seem to miss out on good deals...haha
Grant

zygadr

« Reply #6 on: 9 Mar 2010, 04:07 am »
Hi Grant.
Yes, you won't find any evidence of this driver in their current catalogue(due to be replaced soon) or website.
I did however ''nail down'' the sales manager who grabbed one and confirmed it was a new version of the same cat. number :o
He told me that if you order from your local Altronics store(despite the fact that they have the older stock version) and request a pair from the State's wharehouse, you will get them that way.

It's worth a shot..............if you get the old one's(which should not be the case :?)you can just reject them and ask for the new version to be supplied.
Altronics are good that way :thumb:

grantnsw

« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2010, 02:36 pm »
Hi Zyg,

I finally found the Redback drivers hidden away on the Altronics website! Yes, they are all there. :D

The first 8" one with short whizzer is the C200A:
http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=C2000A
big Qts=2.26 for OB! see specs . Hmm, the response is a bit ragged, but for the price!

The C2002 looks good but has no specs or SPL/ZMA curves...see attached.

The 4" whizzer driver is here:

oops, I'm new on this site and don't know how to attach pics, sorry.

If the last 2 had good response curves, then I could be very tempted to buy, so for now, I'll hold off (too broke!) 

cheers Grant @ Terrigal

zygadr

« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2010, 02:14 am »
Hi Grant...............sorry buddy.............you've got the wrong driver  :nono:

the one in your attached link is the cheap P.A ceiling speaker version............I can tell by the magnet size and have seen this driver as it, and it's more expensive brother, have been around for some time now.

It's the top one in the attached pictures on my first post on this thread.

This new ''mystery model'' has the same surround as the one you have advised us of, but the buck stops there............whizzer cone is conical and shorter, magnet is the same size as the second driver picture I posted.

It's sort of a hybrid between the two..................and most likely measures and performs completely different than these two older models :scratch:

grantnsw

« Reply #9 on: 11 Mar 2010, 10:57 am »
oops  :oops:
yes the ones I looked up were both PA drivers with very poor response.

It will be interesting to see if Altronics post detailed T/S specs and SPL for the new 'mystery model'... and the model number.

zygadr

« Reply #10 on: 12 Mar 2010, 01:31 am »
Knowing their lack of interest.............probably not..........at least not enough :duh:

zygadr

« Reply #11 on: 24 Mar 2010, 06:03 am »
The latest ALTRONICS CATALOGUE still shows a photo of the old model, same cat. number...........typical!      :duh:

zygadr

« Reply #12 on: 6 Apr 2010, 03:07 am »
WILL HAVE A PAIR SOON!............new version has arrived at the Perth store!
Expect a totally different speaker to the older version............better/worse?..........we'll have to see.................they're not overly expensive, so it's worth giving them a go :D

grantnsw

« Reply #13 on: 6 Apr 2010, 12:02 pm »
Hi Zyg,

I had to put my shades on to read your post!  8)

If you get a chance would you mind posting some details please?  catalogue number and price. Are the T/S params  and response plots available? This would be very helpful.
Oh, and your comments too!

TIA , Grant  :)

zygadr

« Reply #14 on: 7 Apr 2010, 01:09 am »
Hi Grant.

Yes, I got a bit (?) excited there did't I :lol:

The driver is under the same cat. number : C2002.
I checked with the store over the phone to make sure that the surround is paper and not concave foam. They confirmed that what was in stock was indeed the new version.

As I once tried the old version at home many years back in my edgar midrange horns, I can say that they sounded quite good(very natural midrange, not shouty ) but were a bit down in the sensitivity department.
This new version should be interesting as it appears to be made by a different manufacturer to some extent. How different the performance, if at all, remains to be seen. :?

I will ask if they have any parameters for this driver, but even if they do, I suspect that it will be for the older version which is of no use to us.The change in surround and wizzer cone itself is enough to wipe out any previous measurements :|

I'll have a couple by this weekend, mount them on an open baffle and report back :thumb:

zygadr

« Reply #15 on: 18 Apr 2010, 06:32 am »
GOT 'EM!!!!!...............at last :roll:

They are playing right now on a ZEN clone MOSFET SINGLE ENDED AMPLIFIER and sound absolutely great :thumb:

From first impressions,compared to the older, foam surround model, they are:
1. MORE SENSITIVE...........A LOT MORE.....MID 90's at least from my estimate :o
2. HAVE MUCH MORE HIGHS
3 LOOK LIKE GOOD CONTENDERS FOR OPEN BAFFLE (have them free standing within a shelf ledge and some cardboard placed along one side in attempt to avoid back cancellation :duh:)...........bass seems like it's going to be more than adequate.

I have no doubt that these will need a reasonably long break in period like many other full range units................but so far so good.

These drivers remind me of the Fostex 8inch twin cones I heard a while back...........very similar in the mids and highs.

Looks like a great way to start in the single driver world of sound without spending a fortune!! :thumb:
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2010, 12:00 am by zygadr »

zygadr

« Reply #16 on: 20 Apr 2010, 06:35 am »
I can't wait to get these things on some large baffles! :o :drool:

Further listening last night showed that there is no lack of high frequencies which has commonly been the problem in previously tried ''cheap'' 8 inch twin cone drivers.

Besides the temporary lack of bass without some sort of baffle or box, the rest of the spectrum is quite impressive indeed:

Cymbals are wonderfully natural and ''present''

What the hell is the true sensitivity of these things? :scratch:..........sounds very loud with only a few watts :o

Vocals superb :)

Micro dynamics such as fingers rubbing against or plucking strings is a a joy :wink:

General sound is very fast and dynamic. 8)

There does not seem to be any 'nasal'' tonality or any offensive ''shout'' either (will have to see when the bass is recovered)

Of course that seamless ''cohesion'' makes itself boldly evident(solo piano now sounds like a ''PIANO''! :duh:)..................it's sickening really as I thought my huge two way simple crossover horn speakers were perfectly integrated.............WRONG!!!!

Yes, the longer they play, the better they're sounding.............I hate to admit it, but,........ ''break in'' is a fact,...... not an audiophile myth :oops:

There will be further updates when I get a couple of large particle board sheets for experimental purposes for an open baffle concept.
For now, anybody living in Australia can pick up a full range bargain from what I am hearing............ :D

I'm not suggesting that Lowther eat their heart out, but having heard Lowthers, Fostex and some sort of Italian made full ranger(can't recall the make :scratch:) in the past, this driver can rock with the best of them :green:

Mr Content

« Reply #17 on: 20 Apr 2010, 09:19 am »
Sounds cool, Do they have them in stock, I see them on the website, but I am not sure what driver that is.

grantnsw

« Reply #18 on: 20 Apr 2010, 11:42 am »
Hi Zyg,

thanks for your comments that they sound great and sensitive too.  That they share the old cat # C2002 could be a problem? Your comments on them on big baffles will be very interesting.  :thumb:
Grant

Mr Content

« Reply #19 on: 20 Apr 2010, 12:01 pm »
Just remember, if you go over 24" wide you will hurt imaging, so work at keeping the baffle size below that. I am interested in getting a pair and having a play.