New BDP-2 user

moonblue77

New BDP-2 user
« on: 20 Nov 2023, 08:20 am »
Hello from the UK!

I'm new to the Bryston forum and introducing myself.

Listening to music has been an important part of my life for 50 years after purchasing my first hi-fi system at the age of 16. Over the decades I've traded up, and two years ago I bought a BHA-1, and just recently acquired a pre-owned BDA-2 and BDP-2. I'm impressed with it all.

I have an issue with the BDP-2 though. The Squeezebox components are not showing up in the list of services. Everything else that should be there is there.

I've got the LMS and Squeezelite running on my PC, and I've got the latest Manic Moose on the BDP-2.

I've have tried to solve it myself, but now reaching out and any help will be much appreciated. (I'm a software engineer by profession and have reasonable experience with Linux, web applications, and networks, so please feel free to speak tech if needed).

Thanks

jobiwon

Re: New BDP-2 user
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2023, 05:26 pm »
You mean this?

moonblue77

« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2023, 07:19 am »
Yes, that!

jcn3

« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2023, 03:23 pm »
Yes, that!

have you updated the software on the bdp-2 to the latest version?

moonblue77

« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2023, 09:08 am »
Thanks for the question.

Yes, the firmware is the latest version and the checksum passes. The MPD works ok. I connected to my Qobuz account ok.

Just the Squeezeslave and Squeezelite services are missing for some reason. I listen to BBC radio a lot and that is why I use the LMS and Squeezelite player.

I purchased the BDP-2 from a UK Bryston dealer. I assume it was factory reset before I got it.

Do I need to do anything to the CF / database?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 22 Nov 2023, 11:44 am »
Hi Moon - email Chris on this - crice@bryston.com

moonblue77

« Reply #6 on: 23 Nov 2023, 07:33 am »
Will do. Thanks James

cmccaul

« Reply #7 on: 23 Nov 2023, 12:29 pm »
Those options disappeared from my menu as well.  Chris suggested adding this command in the Startup Script:

/bin/bservices/Squeezelite\ start

Everything runs fine, just don't see the option in the menu.

moonblue77

« Reply #8 on: 23 Nov 2023, 05:06 pm »
Thanks for the info.

I'm away from my system for the weekend so I'll try it on Monday. Hopefully I'll get the same outcome as you!

I'll let you know.

moonblue77

« Reply #9 on: 27 Nov 2023, 12:49 pm »
The script didn't work for me. The LMS doesn't see my BDP-2.

Thanks anyway.

I'll wait to hear from Chris.

Lwxian

« Reply #10 on: 29 Nov 2023, 01:48 am »
Welcome moonblue77 to the bryston family. Hi from Singapore
I do have a Logictech Media Server and Squeezebox setup at home too.... so just wanted to share the way I listen to music with my current setup...
For LMS library.... If I wanted to listen it on a bryston, I could easily set it to dlna renderer.

I prefer to control my players via ipad and hence I strongly recommend MConnect Player App

As you can tell from above... it can detect the bryston bdp2 player, my Moon mind 180 player, my Anthem AVM player as well as my very old Squeezebox Touch player which is still going strong. On the server side, It could detect my Minim Server music library which I use to transcode to 24bit highres wav format on the fly for all my flac files. Somehow I feel it sound better and with more details after transcode compared to native flac file format via my bryston bda3 dac. Seems that the dac could extract more details from wav than flac may be wav is bigger in file size. It could also detect my LMS server music files. which means I can stream LMS music files to any of the players if I want to. I also use HD Connect for Tidal as its interface more user friendly compared to the Manic Moose native Tidal app and it does not prompt me every time I wanted to listen to Tidal.
If you are a radio person... Manic Moose do have a very wide range of radio stations... under Radio in Bryston native media player.

There are many genre for selection:

Just Pop genre alone, you could get so many different radio stations to select from! Every folder contains a lot of radio stations!

I hope my above sharing will be helpful to you.
Cheers and Happy listening!

« Last Edit: 1 Dec 2023, 11:42 pm by Lwxian »

moonblue77

« Reply #11 on: 30 Nov 2023, 08:06 am »
Excellent!

Squeeze up and running now  :)

Thanks Chris.

jobiwon

« Reply #12 on: 1 Dec 2023, 03:36 pm »
@Lwxian

What is the HD Connect app?  wanna look that up.

Lwxian

« Reply #13 on: 1 Dec 2023, 11:43 pm »
Ops. It is called a mconnect player app. Mconnect HD is for iPad