Side Firing Woofer Stand for NX Studios

Syrah

Side Firing Woofer Stand for NX Studios
« on: 9 Jun 2021, 08:56 pm »
I'm thinking of building a pair of stands for NX Studios (that i haven't built yet) with integrated woofers like a pair of M-165s.

In the setup I plan to use, a couch will block the bottom of the stands on one of the speakers (not wife negotiable).

So here's my question, is there any way I could side mount a pair of M-165s in a stand?  If I power them with a good sub plate amp, presumably I can adjust the phase to compensate for side mounting.

Follow up question, if I could do this would it make sense to make the stand an "L" shape so they are partially open baffle?  Put another way, the drivers would face the side walls and the inside wall of the stands would be open.

I would still use a sub, but I'm thinking it might be good to fill in the midrange.

Same question if I use it for KEF LS50s, making it like an open baffle KEF Blade?

Syrah

Re: Side Firing Woofer Stand for NX Studios
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2021, 04:40 pm »
Actually, I suppose I could do a "speaker stand" with two rear firing M-165 wired out of phase in a sealed box - like the bottom section of the X-Static, only backwards.  Then they wouldn't be blocked by my couch.

Would that work?

Maybe power them with something like this -

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=31030

Although at that price, it's tough to believe we're talking good quality.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2021, 06:46 pm »
Danny designed a model a few years ago he called the best speaker stands ever. They used the 8" 16 ohm subwoofer drivers and an HX300 amp. Now that Danny is bringing in more 8" drivers, or at least plans to, this model should be available again in the future.

Here are the stands paired with X-CS Encores

Syrah

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2021, 07:00 pm »
Wow.  Cool!!

So I guess my options are,

1.  What you have, with side firing 8" drivers powered by a sub amp.

2.  Maybe four or two M-165s rear firing in a sealed enclosure.

3.  One 12" sub side firing in a sealed enclosure.

Maybe Danny can weigh in on the best solution.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2021, 07:29 pm »
I'd go with the 12" sub side firing in a sealed enclosure.  It will give you a lot more power, depth and punch vs the 8" drivers or the M-165s (which are totally outclassed by the sub drivers for bass duties).

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2021, 08:02 pm »
I used the 8” drivers in the stands as mid-bass drivers crossing to a 12” sealed servo sub (sub kit 2) at 30Hz. Having the low bass sub separate from the speakers allowed the sub to be placed for optimum bass response at the listening position.

The 12” sub will easily reach up high enough for the NX-Studios so the 8” drivers aren’t necessary. Letting a 12” servo sub play up to 70Hz and the Studio Monitors play from 70Hz up gives you a three way full range speaker system that is easy to set up.

The addition of the 8” drivers allow rolling off the midrange driver off higher, around 200 Hz like the NX-Otica does. In this configuration the 12” servo sub covers up to 30Hz, the 8” servo sub drivers cover from 30-200 Hz, and the Studio Monitors cover from 200 Hz up. This gives you a four way speaker system that is fuller sounding and more effortless but is more expensive and considerably more complex to set up.

Syrah

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2021, 10:23 pm »
Thanks guys.

Tough one.  I was thinking of doing the same thing, using the stand to fill in the mids and then handing it off to a sub for deep bass.

If I make an MDF stand it could be as big as 8" wide by 12" deep by 32" tall.  That would give me an internal volume of about 1.78 cubic feet.  The small form Rythmic amp could fit on the back of that.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2021, 12:06 am »
I have those servo stands and they're fantastic! Esp in small/medium size rooms, but augment them with a sealed sub at the lowest frequencies in larger rooms, like Mlundy mentioned, and it'll be hard to beat! (Outside of the Dual or triple H-frame 12")

I do believe Danny has, or will be, ordering a large batch of them again soon.