What speakers are you using with your RW amp?

low.pfile

Re: What speakers are you using with your RW amp?
« Reply #40 on: 24 Mar 2008, 11:33 pm »
Devore Nines are on your list, and I'm pretty sure those are the exact speakers used when voicing the .2 series amps.  Hard to go wrong there.  I use the Nines with my 70s (70.2 en route) and they are exceptionally beguiling to say the least.  I find the fit and appearance to be esthetically svelte, and I couldn't agree more about the appearance of some other speakers.

Good to know about the voicing. I am trying for simple set up hence the integrated 30.2.  Going the monoblock route (as you did) would require a pre-amp and another set of cables. Wondering what you are using for pre and ICs?  I heard the Super 8s with a Leben Tube 20W(?) amp a while back....very nice but not spectacular for the total price. I really want to hear the nines now.

ed

cfcjb

« Reply #41 on: 25 Mar 2008, 12:00 am »
Speakers = Gallo Reference 3.1s.
CDP =  Resolution Audio Opus 21 with GNSC reference mods
Pre  =  Shindo Aurieges
Amp = Red Wine Signature 70s (to be upgraded to 70.2s in the near future)

Even though I could run my CDP direct to amp there is no doubt that the Shindo adds wonderful tone and dynamics to an already very good sound.
The Gallos are super performers for their price and mate wonderfully with the Signature 70s. You get all of that wonderful clear, crisp resolution the Quad ESLs are known for with added dynamic range. It does really well in my relatively small listening room/living area and I know will scale up nicely.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #42 on: 25 Mar 2008, 01:26 am »
All,

Thanks for your posts and keeping this thread on track.

Texendo mentions the DeVore Nines... yes, they are an excellent match with the 30.2!

The Gallo Ref. 3.1's that cfcjb are also a great match!

Quote from: Eadron
Hello,my first post here. I replaced my modified (caps,triode mode) Almarro A205A mk II to 30.2 and couldn't been happier with the results. Speakers are Avantgarde horns. Absolutely fantastic combination. Very smooth, dynamic and detailed.

Hi Eadron,

Welcome to Audiocircle and the RWA forum!  Thanks for your post and I'm glad you are enjoying your 30.2 with your Avantgarde horns.  I have a few 30.2 customers with the Avantgarde speakers and love this combo.  One day I hope to hear it for myself!

Other speakers that quite a handful of my 30.2 and 70.2 customers are using and are very satisfied with are offerings from Omega Loudspeakers (especially the 8" hemp models!) and Zu Audio.

I have customers with a very wide range of speakers such as Harbeths, Audio Notes, Podiums, Quads, WLMs, Horns, Maggie MG-12s and 1.6s, Totems, FJs, and so many others.  Please note that the inclusion of any of the speakers mentioned in this thread IS IN NO WAY the exclusion of others.  There are many speakers that will work very well with the RWA amps. 

Thanks for all your posts and I hope to see more added!

Vinnie

jcpix

« Reply #43 on: 25 Mar 2008, 01:29 am »

My current speakers are the Salk SongTowers with the RWA 30.2 amp.  They sound great.

Randy

« Reply #44 on: 25 Mar 2008, 01:55 am »
dewar - you have a PM.

jrebman

« Reply #45 on: 25 Mar 2008, 02:44 am »
My 30.2 is on order and I'll be using mine with my ACI Sapphire XLs.  There are a few 30.2 users who use this combination, and maybe they'll chime in here, and Jeff from Tone Audio mag like this pairing a lot.

Obviously I can't speak to the combo myself, but feedback from others who have this setup was enough to convince me to plunk down the money -- money that I don't really have :D.

-- Jim

texendo

« Reply #46 on: 25 Mar 2008, 03:01 am »

Good to know about the voicing. I am trying for simple set up hence the integrated 30.2.  Going the monoblock route (as you did) would require a pre-amp and another set of cables. Wondering what you are using for pre and ICs?  I heard the Super 8s with a Leben Tube 20W(?) amp a while back....very nice but not spectacular for the total price. I really want to hear the nines now.

ed

The nines definitely have more bottom end presence than the super 8s, but as some reviewer very accurately stated, the Devores are not immediately dazzling speakers.  You wouldn't walk up to them and listen for a song or two and be floored.  Finesse is their gift.  Their really beguiling seduction is complete lack of listener fatigue.  You can (and will) listen to those speakers for HOURS on end and they still sound magical.  The quality of sound is... well, it puts you in a good place.  I listen to a lot of electronica as well, and the bass they output is so unusually clean, but there aren't any 15" woofers pounding air at you.  I'm thinking these speakers are likely very "musical," for what that's worth.

As for pre, I'm using the low gain modded Eastern Electric Minimax as many others here do.  Even at its modded price (which I thoroughly recommend), it is reported to be a serious giant killer.  I haven't A/B'd many preamps, so I'm no authority, but damn it sounds good.

As for ICs, I use the Speltz Anti-ICs.  Supposedly really high bang for the buck.  I haven't toyed with too many high price ICs b/c my conscience won't allow it yet.

Airtunes Express to Toslink to Altmann Attraction DAC (Mundorf Silver Oil Output Cap mod) for digital.
Rega P3 with wood bodied Denon 103r to Bottlehead Seduction phono (VH Audio Teflon caps, C4S, Amperex tubes, Cinemag SUTs) for vinyl.  I'm very happy with my front end, but I'm saving the pennies for the Isabella : )

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #47 on: 25 Mar 2008, 12:37 pm »
Finesse is their gift.  Their really beguiling seduction is complete lack of listener fatigue.  You can (and will) listen to those speakers for HOURS on end and they still sound magical.  The quality of sound is... well, it puts you in a good place.  I listen to a lot of electronica as well, and the bass they output is so unusually clean, but there aren't any 15" woofers pounding air at you.  I'm thinking these speakers are likely very "musical," for what that's worth.

IMO, Texendo's comments are spot on regarding the Nines!

Rega P3 with wood bodied Denon 103r to

Have you tried this for your P3:
http://www.groovetracer.com/subplatter_groovetracer.htm

When I owned my P3-24, I was really pleased with this upgraded subplatter.... thanks to Jeff at Tone Audio for the recommendation!  :wink:

-Vinnie

*edit* - doh... now I'm getting off topic with regard to my P3 comment above... sorry about that! 

Back to "What speakers are you using with your RW amp?"  :thumb:

CSI

« Reply #48 on: 25 Mar 2008, 07:03 pm »
My 30.2 is on order and I'll be using mine with my ACI Sapphire XLs.  There are a few 30.2 users who use this combination, and maybe they'll chime in here, and Jeff from Tone Audio mag like this pairing a lot.

Obviously I can't speak to the combo myself, but feedback from others who have this setup was enough to convince me to plunk down the money -- money that I don't really have :D.

-- Jim

I'm one of the ACI Sapphire XLs/30.2 users and have posted a note on this in the ACI Circle. I'm into my second week of RWA amp break in and it all sounds quite marvelous. This shouldn't be surprising since, if you read the forums, you learn that both the Sapphires and the 30.2 sound great on just about every combination anyone has tried them with. In fact, I think it would be a bit of a challenge to get either of these components to sound bad! For a prospective buyer, the only issue might be the (relatively) low power of the RWA 30.2 driving the (relatively) inefficient Sapphires but, for a variety of reasons noted elsewhere, this doesn't seem to be a problem at all in the real world.
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2008, 10:52 pm by CSI »

Dave G

« Reply #49 on: 25 Mar 2008, 09:01 pm »
I use my Signature 30 with Bob Brines FT-1600 MkII, a single driver MLTL using the Fostex FE167E.  More info here.  Nice tone and surprisingly decent bass.

Bob's Lowther-based LT-2000 may be even better.  The DX2 version has an F3 of 35Hz!  They weren't available when I got my speakers and I've never heard them, but the few reports I've read have been positive.  More info here.
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2008, 10:01 pm by Dave G »

Afterimage

« Reply #50 on: 25 Mar 2008, 11:21 pm »

-- Jim

I'm one of the ACI Sapphire XLs/30.2 users and have posted a note on this in the ACI Circle. I'm into my second week of RWA amp break in and it all sounds quite marvelous. This shouldn't be surprising since, if you read the forums, you learn that the both the Sapphires and the 30.2 sound great on just about every combination anyone has tried them with. In fact, I think it would be a bit of a challenge to get either of these components to sound bad! For a prospective buyer, the only issue might be the (relatively) low power of the RWA 30.2 driving the (relatively) inefficient Sapphires but, for a variety of reasons noted elsewhere, this doesn't seem to be a problem at all in the real world.
How inefficient are the Sapphires?   I have speakers that are 82.5 (Mark and Daniel Ruby)and have the 70.2s ordered to match them with.  I'm hoping they are a match, but if not, I have other speakers I can use.

jrebman

« Reply #51 on: 25 Mar 2008, 11:39 pm »
It's really more an issue of impedance -- nominal, and how flat or "friendly" the impedance curve is.

The Sapphires are nominal 6 ohms, minum 4.5, and very flat, low reactance, and 85.5 dB
You get more power out of these amps at 4 ohms than at 8 ohms, but you don't want to dip much below 4, and conversely, if you have speakers that climb to 16 or 20 ohms at various points at certain frequencies, count on a lot less available power at those points.

I don't know offhand what the impedance curve of the Rubys is, but as long as it doesn't go too low, or too high, and is relatively flat, it should do fine, but may not besuited for concert level reproduction.

-- Jim

CSI

« Reply #52 on: 26 Mar 2008, 02:53 pm »
At first glance the Sapphire's appear to be 3 dB more efficient than the Mark & Daniels. This is the equivalent of going to a 60 wpc amp vs. 30 wpc. I think 6 Moons reported having great luck with these or a Mark & Daniels model with similar efficiency. But other factors come into play - the easy load presented by the Sapphires (as noted) and the ability of the RWA to deliver tons of current (which is one reason why the 30 watt 30.2 sounds so good and a 30 watt receiver usually sounds so bad). All of which supports what we've all learned - specs only tell part of the story and are often misleading. You just gotta try it.

OrJazzM

« Reply #53 on: 4 Apr 2008, 01:48 pm »
Vinnie, have you or anyone triied your amps with the Emerarld Physics CS1?  I'm considering these speakers and may use my Sig 30 for the compression drivers.

davidada

« Reply #54 on: 5 Apr 2008, 02:07 pm »
Just hooked up a pair of quad Esl63 usa monitors to my Sig30.2 and they sound wonderful, I think the quads bring out the incredible detail and channel separation of the Sig's, also the bass notes are very tight and musical, they do not play into the movie track bass area but neither do I!
Previously used Vienna acoustic Schonbergs which also sounded good but the quads are in a different league altogether.
front end is a Red wine modded Olive direct into the Sig, also a Thorens TD124, sme IV, Denon 103r - project tube phono sounds like heaven!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #55 on: 9 Apr 2008, 01:16 pm »
Vinnie, have you or anyone triied your amps with the Emerarld Physics CS1?  I'm considering these speakers and may use my Sig 30 for the compression drivers.

Hi OrJazzM,

The Sig 30.2 is fine for everything but the bass drivers.  I am told that the bass drivers need more power.

Hi davidada,

Thanks for your post and the Quads are magical with the 30.2 and 70.2.  I heard the 30.2 with the ESL 57s... stunning!  8)

Best regards,

Vinnie

OrJazzM

« Reply #56 on: 9 Apr 2008, 08:19 pm »
Thanks for the reply Vinnie.  It would be nice if you made some high powered battery operated amps  :D.
Btw, you're right about the Quad 57', I have mine with just the Sig 30 and it sounds marvelous.  The only areas lacking are in dynamics and deep bass which is no fault of the Siggie, just characteristics of the Quads.

raytheprinter

« Reply #57 on: 15 Apr 2008, 08:16 pm »
I am using Harmonic Precision Caravelles with my 30.2.I have around 60 hours playing time on my 30.2,sounds better every day!Using a Supratek Chardonnay tube preamp,ACI Force sub,mostly PuristAudio Musaeus ICs.

tanchiro58

« Reply #58 on: 15 Apr 2008, 08:46 pm »
Hi RWA lovers,

I am little slow in this path since I just got a RWA Clari-T dual mono amp. I trust and like very much Vinnie's product because Vinnie built the RWA SLA/SMART battery PS for my Altmann gears. Now the RWA Clari-T sounds so much lively with my modded VR1 monitors. My next toy will be definitely a Signature 30 or 30.2.  :thumb:

Tan

Afterimage

« Reply #59 on: 19 Apr 2008, 02:50 pm »
Anyone try Redwine with Klipsch speakers?   I have a friend that has the Klipsch RF63s, I had never heard Klipsch before and I thought they sounded pretty good, except one thing, the horn tweeters were a little hot (bright).  He has a Denon reciever driving them so that could be the reason they were bright.  I was going to recomend my buddy look into tubes, but then thought maybe the Redwind Sig 30.2 would be a good match.  Thoughts?  I guess I could always bring the 70.2s over when I get them to try it out.