What speakers are you using with your RW amp?

Profbratsch

Re: What speakers are you using with your RW amp?
« Reply #100 on: 27 Sep 2008, 06:19 am »
Tonight I made a decision, and it's not one the one that I expected.  I picked up a pair of LSA 1 Statement monitors about one month ago on Audiogon but did not take them out of the box until yesterday.  After listening to them on my new 30.2/Isabella w/DAC combo I was hooked.  They offer so much more than the LSA 2 towers I previously owned:  better clarity, bass definition and imaging--while sitting directly on the floor!  OK, Skylan stands will be ordered soon, just in case you all thought I have bizarre monitor listening habits. :-)

The Statements seem to be ideal for the size of my dedicated listening room (18x14 with 7 1/2 foot ceiling) and I very much look forward to the sound once they are on stands with a fully broken-in Isabella!  More impressions later...

kbuzz3

« Reply #101 on: 27 Sep 2008, 01:47 pm »
Has anyone tried their sig with one of the living voice models?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #102 on: 27 Sep 2008, 06:44 pm »
Hi Profbratsch,

Thanks for posting your findings with the LSA 1 Statement monitors with the RWA setup - glad you are enjoying it and I hope to hear them one day...

Hi kbuzz3,

Here is a post that I tried to merge into this thread, but I screwed up and it is in the "wastebin"  :oops:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=56460.msg494579#msg494579

This 30.2 review from StereoTimes also mentions using the IBXR2's:
http://www.stereotimes.com/amp072208.shtml

Best regards,

Vinnie

nlfield

« Reply #103 on: 28 Sep 2008, 08:51 pm »
I've had the WLM Diva Monitors (97db) since January and the RWA 30.2 amp since June.

I've had some difficulty getting a satisfying response in the highs from the WLM Diva speakers.  I've tried Bryston, Conrad-Johnson, and McCormack solid state amps and also I have the Almarro 318B.  The solid state amps all exhibited a harshness in the highs.  The Almarro is is very satisfying with these speakers, but is rather inconvenient for daily usage.  The Almarro burns really hot and takes 3 minutes to warm up before music can be head.  I use the same audio system for TV/DVD/hi-fi and I'd rather not burn tubes while watching TV.

The 30.2 offers a sound remarkably similar to the Almarro tube amp.  Both of these amps have synergy with the WLM speakers.  The 30.2 has a slightly larger soundstage with greater separation of instruments.  The Almarro has a punchier lower-mid range and twinkling highs. 

I don't really have a preference between these two amps and switch between them for variety.  However, the RWA 30.2 is the every day amp as it is more convenient to use.  Both are used for serious music listening.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #104 on: 30 Sep 2008, 04:11 pm »
I've had the WLM Diva Monitors (97db) since January and the RWA 30.2 amp since June.

I've had some difficulty getting a satisfying response in the highs from the WLM Diva speakers.  I've tried Bryston, Conrad-Johnson, and McCormack solid state amps and also I have the Almarro 318B.  The solid state amps all exhibited a harshness in the highs.  The Almarro is is very satisfying with these speakers, but is rather inconvenient for daily usage.  The Almarro burns really hot and takes 3 minutes to warm up before music can be head.  I use the same audio system for TV/DVD/hi-fi and I'd rather not burn tubes while watching TV.

The 30.2 offers a sound remarkably similar to the Almarro tube amp.  Both of these amps have synergy with the WLM speakers.  The 30.2 has a slightly larger soundstage with greater separation of instruments.  The Almarro has a punchier lower-mid range and twinkling highs. 

I don't really have a preference between these two amps and switch between them for variety.  However, the RWA 30.2 is the every day amp as it is more convenient to use.  Both are used for serious music listening.

Hi nlfield,

Welcome to audiocircle and the RWA forum, and thanks for your post!

We'll have the Diva Monitors at RMAF (along with the La Scala Monitors) and they really "gel" with the Signature 30.2!  We'll also have custom made stands by Skylan Manufacturing  8)

A useful feature of the WLM speakers is the tweeter control on the rear.  This lets the listener dial-in on the sound to suit your room, equipment, and tastes.  This implementation is excuted very well, and with the WLM floorstanding models, the bottom bass port allows one to fine-tune the quantity of bass output by adjusting the height of the spikes. 

Enjoy your RWA + WLM combo!

Vinnie

kingpin

« Reply #105 on: 19 Nov 2008, 09:22 pm »
Does nayone have experience with the Red Wine 30.2 and Decware speakers?  Specifically the HDT's?   

krmathis

« Reply #106 on: 21 Nov 2008, 08:07 am »
I mainly use my Signature 30.2 (and Isabellina) to power a pair of AKG K1000 headspeakers.
But I also once in a while hook up the Stax SR-007BL headspeaker using a Stax SRD-7 Pro. Both nice combinations imo.  :thumb:

AKG K1000 rig:
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/5845/86639858iy4.jpg

Stax SR-007BL rig:
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8180/72623831pa5.jpg

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #107 on: 26 Nov 2008, 02:07 am »
Does nayone have experience with the Red Wine 30.2 and Decware speakers?  Specifically the HDT's?   

Hi kingpin,

I don't know of any RWA customers who are using Decware speakers - hopefully there is someone with this combo who can chime in...

Hi krmathis,

YES! - the 30.2 is an awesome amp for the AKG K1000 "headphones" (it put this in quotes because these headphones need real wattage from a home audio power amp - not a headphone amp).  They also sound like no other headphones out there, and a real cult following - I have a pair too!  8)   Too bad they stopped making them...

Thanks for all your posts,

Vinnie

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #108 on: 26 Nov 2008, 02:31 am »
After scanning this thread I didn't see any Thiels being used with the RWA amps. My interest is mainly the 30.2 integrated. Would this work my Thiel CS 1.6s? They are a 4 ohm speaker and as I understand not easy to drive. Also have Meadowlark Audio Kestrel HRs which I believe are an easy load. Thanks for any input.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #109 on: 26 Nov 2008, 02:45 am »
After scanning this thread I didn't see any Thiels being used with the RWA amps. My interest is mainly the 30.2 integrated. Would this work my Thiel CS 1.6s? They are a 4 ohm speaker and as I understand not easy to drive. Also have Meadowlark Audio Kestrel HRs which I believe are an easy load. Thanks for any input.

Hi timind,

The 30.2 integrated will push the Thiel CS 1.6s (they are 4-ohm, 90dB speakers), but the 70.2s will push them some more!  8)

I'm not sure about the specifications for the Kestrel HRs...

Vinnie

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #110 on: 27 Nov 2008, 02:10 am »
Thanks for the answer Vinnie. I am more concerned with the Thiels as the Kestrels are an easier load.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #111 on: 4 Dec 2008, 10:14 pm »
Hi timind,

FWIW, today I was on the phone with a customer from Italy.  In our conversation, he told me that he brought his 30.2 integrated to a local high-end audio dealer.  One of the speakers he tried with the 30.2 was the Thiel CS 1.6s, and he said it drove them very well and he really liked that pairing...

Best regards,

Vinnie

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #112 on: 5 Dec 2008, 03:17 am »
I have RWA 30.2 / Isabella / Apple notebook which I had been using with Omega Compact Hemps and ACI Force XL sub. I'm in a small room, well equipped with GIK acoustical panels (I call it my cocoon). The system sounded fantastic.

I'm now about 15 - 30 hours into the new Omega Super 6 Alnico Monitors, and overall tone, imaging and bass articulation have never been better. My DeepHemp sub arrives in next few days, so I can't even begin to imagine how good this system will sound!

Even without the sub I've never heard human voices sound more realistic through an audio system.

While the speakers are new, I am very sure the RWA gear is here for the long term.

hifi2me

« Reply #113 on: 13 Jan 2009, 08:26 am »
Anyone with experience using the sig 30.2 interg. with Harbeth SHL5?

I assume it can work since the Harbeth is easy to drive but will there be punch enough and is it soundwise a good match????

bdl955

« Reply #114 on: 13 Jan 2009, 09:30 pm »
Anybody have any experience with RWA 30.2 and Usher Be-718's?

Thanks,

Bryan

dspringham

« Reply #115 on: 13 Jan 2009, 10:36 pm »
I'm running the Harbeth Super HL5's with the Sig 30.2  and in my room it's a great match.

The HL5 has a spec'd sensitivity of 86 db but one of the British rags actually measured it at closer to 91 db so the 30.2 has lots of headroom at the levels I listen at. The HL5's are an easy load with a relatively benign Z curve.
I get plenty of bass with a nice warm, smooth and detailed presentation with plenty of layered depth.

The frequency accuracy may be a little skewed towards the warmer side of neutral since both the 30.2 and the Harbeths each have a characteristic "fullness" in the mid-bass power zone, however I find it to my liking... YMMV.

Dave

TONEPUB

« Reply #116 on: 2 Feb 2009, 04:13 pm »
I was having great luck with the Harbeth Compact 7ES-3's, but just moved up
to 40.1's.  Great combination, either way....

Perfect for a small room!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #117 on: 9 Feb 2009, 02:47 am »
I was having great luck with the Harbeth Compact 7ES-3's, but just moved up
to 40.1's.  Great combination, either way....

Perfect for a small room!

Hi Jeff,

The Harbeths are indeed very good with the RWA amps!  :)

All,

Just a heads up -- Marc Philips of Tone Audio reviewed the WLM La Scala Monitors and the review will be out in this month's issue.  For a small to medium room, these are gems. We had them in our CES room in the Venetian Tower, and received a lot of feedback along the lines of:

Quote from: stevenkelby
I heard most of the rooms at the Venetian, and the only ones that competed with the RWA/WLM room had gear costing at least triple your room Vinnie. Many rooms with more than triple the cost of parts didn't sound as good. VERY impressive!

Best regards,

Vinnie

genjamon

« Reply #118 on: 9 Feb 2009, 02:50 pm »
Anyone tried their Sig. 30.2's with any of the Triangle floorstanders?  I have a line on a pair of Antal ESW's (91dB, 8 ohm with a 3.5-4 minimum I think) and am curious about the power requirement.  I'm also curious about other impressions of the pairing.

~Ben

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #119 on: 12 Feb 2009, 03:56 pm »
Anyone tried their Sig. 30.2's with any of the Triangle floorstanders?  I have a line on a pair of Antal ESW's (91dB, 8 ohm with a 3.5-4 minimum I think) and am curious about the power requirement.  I'm also curious about other impressions of the pairing.

~Ben

Hi Ben,

The warmer, tube-like sound of the Signature 30.2 should work well with the Triangles.  They certainly are efficient enough, and the impedance dip down to 4-ohm won't be a problem.  Please let us know if you get to hear this pairing!

Best regards,

Vinnie