Audessy MultiEQ PRO : Worth it?

North Star

• "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison
Re: Audessy MultiEQ PRO : Worth it?
« Reply #20 on: 22 Jul 2013, 05:48 pm »
Now I'm going to give you what I consider to be one of the most important tips regarding an Audyssey Room EQ calibration.
- Failing to do this correctly you'll never be satisfy with Audyssey, including from Music listening with it engaged.

* And I'm speaking from vast experience here.
 [Another set of tips are concerning the proper subwoofer's (single or multiple) settings; but that's for another time in another 'frequency' perhaps.]

Alright, here we go (1-2-3):

1. With your Marantz AV7005, take all 8 mic position measurements! ...Not 3, not 6, but all 8 of them!

2. And get yourself a mic stand with boom. ...Not a camera tripod!

3. Now check this tutorial video: => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okyNlhJ3Hvo

And that is all! ...For now.

North Star

« Reply #21 on: 22 Jul 2013, 06:06 pm »
Do you like Music? ...Do you like Stereo Music? ...Do you like listening to Stereo Music?

If your answer is yes to the three above questions, then you might love what Audyssey does in your own room after following the tips from my above post.
* Use the Stereo Audio mode from your AV7005. ...Not Pure Direct!
** And also, use a digital connection (HDMI, Coax, or Opt). ...And not an analog one (or unless your AV7005 digitize the analog audio signals when in Stereo audio mode). --> Then check for yourself what your ears prefer. ...It is very personal.

North Star

« Reply #22 on: 22 Jul 2013, 06:15 pm »
Before hiring a pro to do a calibration in your room, learn on how to be a pro yourself first. ...And it's free, the only cost is your own time.  :D

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #23 on: 22 Jul 2013, 09:01 pm »
Now I'm going to give you what I consider to be one of the most important tips regarding an Audyssey Room EQ calibration.
- Failing to do this correctly you'll never be satisfy with Audyssey, including from Music listening with it engaged.

[Another set of tips are concerning the proper subwoofer's (single or multiple) settings; but that's for another time in another 'frequency' perhaps.]

1. With your Marantz AV7005, take all 8 mic position measurements! ...Not 3, not 6, but all 8 of them!

Good to have the video confirmation that I've been doing the measurements right!

Doing 32 with xt pro would try my patience somewhat...

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #24 on: 22 Jul 2013, 09:07 pm »
Do you like Music? ...Do you like Stereo Music? ...Do you like listening to Stereo Music?

If your answer is yes to the three above questions, then you might love what Audyssey does in your own room after following the tips from my above post.
* Use the Stereo Audio mode from your AV7005. ...Not Pure Direct!
** And also, use a digital connection (HDMI, Coax, or Opt). ...And not an analog one (or unless your AV7005 digitize the analog audio signals when in Stereo audio mode). --> Then check for yourself what your ears prefer. ...It is very personal.

Still like it better in pure direct for music vs stero with audyssey....cleaner overall. Though am considering down the road using something like the behringer digital eq between the external DAC and the preamp. The external DAC is a bel canto 1.5 which is quite a step up from the marantz internal one, even though you'd think on paper it shouldn't be.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #25 on: 23 Jul 2013, 05:09 am »

Turns out friend got a mic boom stand - not a different mic. He re ran audyssey tonight with the boom stand - virtually no different result on parameter check vs before, for what its worth.  He is just running audyssey eq though, not xt or 32.

He does suggest using dynamic eq on the marantz processor / receiver - says it helps not just at low volume, but also with the center channel quality at all volume levels.
Ol Kal Robinson seemed to be a fan of dynamic eq as well in his review of the Marantz AV7005.

North Star

« Reply #26 on: 23 Jul 2013, 05:48 am »
Good to have the video confirmation that I've been doing the measurements right!

Doing 32 with xt pro would try my patience somewhat...

I don't know of anyone who took all 32 mic position measurements.

For a large room, like a real Cineplex, or a personal IMAX room theater, then ok.
{The most I've heard is twelve, and nine in my book is good enough with XT32 Pro, for any sized room.}

North Star

« Reply #27 on: 23 Jul 2013, 06:00 am »
Still like it better in pure direct for music vs stero with audyssey....cleaner overall. ...

This is very complex:

- Your room, my room.
- Your acoustics, my acoustics.
- Your ears, my ears.
- Your speakers, my speakers.
- Your subwoofer(s), my subwoofers.
- Your sub's adjustments, my multiple subs' adjustments.
- Your phase, my phase.
- Your gain, my gain.
- Your x-over, my x-over.
- Your room's measurements, my room's measurements.
- Etc., etc., etc.

I'd say this though; for a long time I too was using the Pure Audio mode from my units, for Stereo music listening.
And then came the time, with gained experience, when I finally did it! ...I could now enable Audyssey while listening to stereo music in Stereo audio mode. ...And from both analog and digital connections.

And I just know exactly what you mean.

North Star

« Reply #28 on: 23 Jul 2013, 06:10 am »
Turns out friend got a mic boom stand - not a different mic. He re ran audyssey tonight with the boom stand - virtually no different result on parameter check vs before, for what its worth.  He is just running audyssey eq though, not xt or 32.

He does suggest using dynamic eq on the marantz processor / receiver - says it helps not just at low volume, but also with the center channel quality at all volume levels.
Ol Kal Robinson seemed to be a fan of dynamic eq as well in his review of the Marantz AV7005.

With MY unit, in MY room, I don't. ...Use Audyssey Dynamic EQ; it subtracts from the original experience, I found.
...Too opaque for my own taste and from my own experience.

So I just don't use it, ever.

+ If I want better center channel clarity, presence, integration and articulation, I simply raise the gain for that speaker.
{None two movies are recorded alike, and by the same two people.}  :wink:

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #29 on: 23 Jul 2013, 03:30 pm »
Bob (is it?) : think we're possibly the last two guys left in the room & have probably bored the more classic 2 channel orientated folks here w/ all this HT / DSP talk, but just in case will keep the conversation public in case there are folks out there who are wondering about personal experience w/ HT processors / receivers used for music.

First - yeah, SQ results are very room & system dependent....

As for Dynamic EQ : I don't use it either, particularly as I'm usually watching movies at "reference" volume levels, so it doesn't seem necessary, though I can see if you had to "listen low" that it could be useful. 

I think trying to use Dynamic EQ to improve center channel performance at any volume level is born out of the frustration both my friend and I have experienced trying to get vocals on center channels to sound good.  Both he & I keep going up the model chain of our respective brands of center channels, and / or messing with Audyssey EQing, to remedy this problem.  Its very odd because often it seems non-vocal SQ is often ok w/ the center channel, and level matching w/ the L/R channels not that hard.  But getting vocals on center channels to sound good and natural seems so damn hard.  It's as if that part were mic'ed / mastered by the dumb deaf engineer of the family.  I.e. often everything else is largely satisfying, then all of a sudden you get some honky / nasal off-sounding dialogue, breaking the enchantment.  Perfection is a bitch.

Mudslide

« Reply #30 on: 23 Jul 2013, 05:06 pm »
Bob (is it?) : think we're possibly the last two guys left in the room & have probably bored the more classic 2 channel orientated folks here w/ all this HT / DSP talk, but just in case will keep the conversation public in case there are folks out there who are wondering about personal experience w/ HT processors / receivers used for music.

As for Dynamic EQ : I don't use it either, particularly as I'm usually watching movies at "reference" volume levels, so it doesn't seem necessary, though I can see if you had to "listen low" that it could be useful. 

I think trying to use Dynamic EQ to improve center channel performance at any volume level is born out of the frustration both my friend and I have experienced trying to get vocals on center channels to sound good.  Both he & I keep going up the model chain of our respective brands of center channels, and / or messing with Audyssey EQing, to remedy this problem.  Its very odd because often it seems non-vocal SQ is often ok w/ the center channel, and level matching w/ the L/R channels not that hard.  But getting vocals on center channels to sound good and natural seems so damn hard.  It's as if that part were mic'ed / mastered by the dumb deaf engineer of the family.  I.e. often everything else is largely satisfying, then all of a sudden you get some honky / nasal off-sounding dialogue, breaking the enchantment.  Perfection is a bitch.

What is your center speaker and how is it positioned?  A good CC makes a big difference.  "Honkiness" is usually related to an emphasized loudspeaker midrange.  But this emphasis could also be a result of your Auto EQ, don't forget.

Secondly, the presentation is very source-centric.  TV is the worst example.  And yes, we seem to be at the mercy of the recording engineer much of the time.

I can't stand Dynamic EQ, btw.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #31 on: 23 Jul 2013, 05:26 pm »
The CC is a magnepan CC5, which I think most will agree is a pretty decent CC.  Audyssey EQ XT in the paramter check actually dipped the mid range frequency -6db, which helped somewhat.  I've tried different placement well clear of the rear wall as well and still the same problem.  Next stop is either to mess further w/ tone controls if I can, or else maybe try some absorption behind the CC at the risk of loosing some soundstage.

P.s. on "Direct" vs "Stereo" w/ Audyssey, I found that for 2 channel listening w/ Audyssey it was making some major changes both in frequency response + soundstage.  I.e. it was bringing the soundstage forward and also "thickening" the sound.  A minor benefit was improving central imaging, but that to me was too little benefit in light of the other changes which did favor my subjective preferences.  Oddly enough I prefer Audyssey XT on for movies though.  Don't know : perhaps I need to run the Audyssey set up once again......

Mudslide

« Reply #32 on: 23 Jul 2013, 06:02 pm »
The CC is a magnepan CC5, which I think most will agree is a pretty decent CC.  Audyssey EQ XT in the paramter check actually dipped the mid range frequency -6db, which helped somewhat. 

It may be a good cc, but that frequency correction indicates a less than flat frequency response from your speaker, or a meandering, mislead Audyssey, or a goofy room...especially since you're getting the tone wherever you move it.   Dunno.  I still recommend that you talk with one of the acoustic treatment peeps.

North Star

« Reply #33 on: 23 Jul 2013, 07:31 pm »

1. Yes, Bob's my name.
2. It don't matter how many people are in the room; you and I (and Mudslide) are having an intelligent discussion on the topic of Audyssey MultEQ XT Pro, and its derivatives.
3. I also tried Audyssey Dynamic EQ at lower volumes (I checked at all volume levels actually); and I didn't find any single volume level where it wasn't detrimental.

TIP (for you and your friend):
- Make sure that Audyssey Dynamic EQ (and Dynamic Volume as well) is DISABLE. ...Disengaged.
- Raise the center channel volume level by 2.0 dB (more or less). ...Even afterwards (after all Audyssey calibration is done); it won't affect anything from the Audyssey EQ itself, and it will compensate (in your room) for the lack of clarity (or unintelligible dialog) coming from your center channel speaker.
Take your time, find the proper balance, and you'll get accustomed to it eventually, and you won't 'starve' for 'pain' any longer, I bet. ...And it worked for me.
Just try it. ...One step closer to mankind.  :wink:
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2013, 02:35 am by North Star »

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #34 on: 23 Jul 2013, 08:15 pm »
Howdy Bob : Jon.

I'll relay re: dynamic EQ to the friend : have always kept it off myself and will probably stay that way.

Quality of vocals is more my gripe vs the level, i.e. it's intelligible, but the timbre and body is off.  Maybe they just don't make as much of an effort miking voices in movies & tv shows (unless it's a concert video).  Anyway - I will try raising the level as you suggest and hope that helps.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #35 on: 23 Jul 2013, 08:16 pm »
Should be a new topic, but anyway, Audyssey has a new free product for iphone a friend just advised me of :

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id569331902?mt=8

Seems interesting. Will be checking it out soon.

North Star

« Reply #36 on: 23 Jul 2013, 09:04 pm »
Howdy Bob : Jon.

I'll relay re: dynamic EQ to the friend : have always kept it off myself and will probably stay that way.

Quality of vocals is more my gripe vs the level, i.e. it's intelligible, but the timbre and body is off.  Maybe they just don't make as much of an effort miking voices in movies & tv shows (unless it's a concert video).  Anyway - I will try raising the level as you suggest and hope that helps.

Hi Jon,

What you are aiming for is a decent balance between all speakers, and particularly a good articulation from the center channel one.
By 'manually' raising (after the auto EQ fact) that center channel by a couple of dBs you might strike a better balance in your room. ...Experiment.

And I'm with you; it's not so easy because indeed all recordings are created unequally, and from various sources they are all over the map.
And some audio movie recording/mixing engineers are more talented than others.
Some movie studios too follow some audio standards regarding balance between all channels, including the center one, and the LFE channel as well.
...But mistakes can happen from the lesser studios; the more obscure types. ...Quality is not the language of everyone because the application differs from one to the next.

From the movie recording studios to our own home theaters it's not always smooth sailing; and we have to adjust for the deficiencies wherever they're coming from.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #37 on: 24 Jul 2013, 12:39 am »
I'm not sure who Audyssey is geared towards, but I used it as a starting point and 'tweaked' from there.
When all was said and done, it wasn't a 'tweak' anymore, it wasn't even close to where Audyssey started me off.

Bob

Mudslide

« Reply #38 on: 24 Jul 2013, 02:32 am »
I'm not sure who Audyssey is geared towards, but I used it as a starting point and 'tweaked' from there.
When all was said and done, it wasn't a 'tweak' anymore, it wasn't even close to where Audyssey started me off.

Bob

This!  ^    :thumb:

North Star

« Reply #39 on: 24 Jul 2013, 02:37 am »
Different strokes for different folks.