Is jriver Media Center as good as foobar when using ASIO?

Anders

Hello,
I see that Is jriver Media Center supports ASIO.

Does anyone have experience with jriver
and is it as good as foobar when using ASIO ?

I am using Logitech Mediapad, and think it is nice to see what is playing
on the Mediapad screen.
That is the reason for trying another software than foobar.

Regards,
Anders

Anders

Re: Is jriver Media Center as good as foobar when using ASIO?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Oct 2006, 11:16 am »
Or what about Winamp and ASIO against foobar
when we are talking about sound quality ?

I see that Logitech dNovia Mediapad has support for Winamp,
so that is an option.

Somebody using Winamp ?

Regards,
Anders

bigamp

« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2006, 03:34 pm »
I use JRiver Media Center as well as Cinemar as a front-end interface to JRiver.  I am considering getting an Empirical Audio USB converter, but want to make sure that I can use it with JRiver instead of (in addition to?) Foobar.  Will the converter work with JRiver instead of Foobar?

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2006, 07:15 pm »
I use JRiver Media Center as well as Cinemar as a front-end interface to JRiver.  I am considering getting an Empirical Audio USB converter, but want to make sure that I can use it with JRiver instead of (in addition to?) Foobar.  Will the converter work with JRiver instead of Foobar?

Yes, I have customers that use JRiver with the Off-Ramp.

Steve N.

Brucemck

« Reply #4 on: 3 Dec 2006, 07:24 pm »
Does Helium Music Manager work too (including SRC)?

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 3 Dec 2006, 07:33 pm »
Does Helium Music Manager work too (including SRC)?

First time I heard of it.  What is it?

Steve N.

Brucemck

« Reply #6 on: 3 Dec 2006, 07:47 pm »
Recommended by a fellow that rips for SBs:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=29176.0

Brucemck

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2007, 03:03 pm »
Steve, hope things are going well for you at CES

Do you have any customers using J River and the Turbo II with 24/96 and ASIO output?

I can get 16 or 24 and 44.1 ASIO to work, and, can get 24/96 DirectOut to work, but can NOT get 24/96 ASIO to work in J River setup.  (Latter does work in Foobar.)  Behaves as if there were a "mute" switch engaged: player indicates it's playing and get no error messages from MAudio or player.)

btw: In head to head comparison, both Foobar and J River sounded markedly better than Winamp.  On many but not all recordings J River, even with DirectOut (not ASIO) sounds better than Foobar with 24/96 via SRC and ASIO.

Tirade

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2007, 04:22 pm »
Recommended by a fellow that rips for SBs:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=29176.0

Bruce,

Helium is just a music/db manager and if you wish to play music then you have to tell it what player you wish to use.

You CAN use Helium as your front end to view, sort and alter your music, and then when you click a song have it run foobar (or whatever) to play it.

Brucemck

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2007, 01:27 pm »

Steve ... bump ...

Do any of your customers have J River playing working via ASIO 24/96 to Turbo II?

I can get 24/96 ASIO fine in Foobar, can get 24/96 fine in J River using DirectOut, can get 16/44 fine in J River using ASIO, BUT can NOT get 24/96 in J River using ASIO.

Player indicates it's playing, and no error messages from M Audio (neither true when bit rates don't match, in which case one or the other sends error message.)

I've updated XP SP2, I've updated all drivers, and I've installed and reinstalled.

M Audio support tells me there's nothing they can do and J River says their ASIO works fine, as "proof" citing that it works on a different M Audio card.

audioengr

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2007, 05:31 pm »

Steve ... bump ...

Do any of your customers have J River playing working via ASIO 24/96 to Turbo II?

I dont believe anyone is doing upsampling with jriver.

I can get 24/96 ASIO fine in Foobar, can get 24/96 fine in J River using DirectOut, can get 16/44 fine in J River using ASIO, BUT can NOT get 24/96 in J River using ASIO.

Player indicates it's playing, and no error messages from M Audio (neither true when bit rates don't match, in which case one or the other sends error message.)

I've updated XP SP2, I've updated all drivers, and I've installed and reinstalled.

M Audio support tells me there's nothing they can do and J River says their ASIO works fine, as "proof" citing that it works on a different M Audio card.

Are you tring to use the Foobar ASIO with jriver?  This will probably not work.  The ASIO driver for m-audio devices works with the Otachan ASIO plug-in for foobar.  Not sure how jriver's ASIO works.  Which ASIO file are you trying to use?

Steve N.

Brucemck

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jan 2007, 05:43 pm »
No, not trying to use Foobar with J River ... just using J River.

Don't know what ASIO driver they use.  Whatever it is works fine on 16/44.1 setting but won't work on 24/96 setting with Transit USB ... other users report it works ok with other M Audio cards/devices at 24/96

audioengr

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jan 2007, 08:20 pm »
No, not trying to use Foobar with J River ... just using J River.

Don't know what ASIO driver they use.  Whatever it is works fine on 16/44.1 setting but won't work on 24/96 setting with Transit USB ... other users report it works ok with other M Audio cards/devices at 24/96

Okay, so you are setting the Transit panel to 96000 and jriver does not work.  There must be some settings in jriver to set 24-bit and 96kHz, just like there are in Foobar2000.

Steve N.

Brucemck

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jan 2007, 05:08 pm »
There are settings in J River to set 24/96 output, and I have set those to 24/96.

I believe those are working, because (a) if I set them to 16/44 and have the Transit USB set to 24/96 I get an error message, and, (b) if I set them to 24/96 and DirectOut, and set the Transit USB to 24/96, all is well.

Link to the thread on the J River forum:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=38031.0

« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2007, 05:31 pm by Brucemck »

audioengr

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jan 2007, 07:22 pm »
There are settings in J River to set 24/96 output, and I have set those to 24/96.

I believe those are working, because (a) if I set them to 16/44 and have the Transit USB set to 24/96 I get an error message, and, (b) if I set them to 24/96 and DirectOut, and set the Transit USB to 24/96, all is well.

Link to the thread on the J River forum:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=38031.0

Is it possible that the ASIO for Jriver does not support 24/96?

Steve N.

Brucemck

« Reply #15 on: 18 Jan 2007, 08:00 pm »

Reply #4 by Matt on the J River forum (link in my earlier post) claims 24/96 works for him with two different sound cards, so I suspect the ASIO largely works.

Brucemck

« Reply #16 on: 20 Jan 2007, 05:34 pm »
Steve and others ...

I did a clean install of the Transit USB and J River on another laptop and got exactly the same output under ASIO 24/96 ...

Thus I'm confident that at this point J River ASIO only works with the Turbo in 16 or 24 / 44 mode and will not work under 24/96.  It's a good player with a nice user interface, but if you want upsampled 24/96 via ASIO it's not the player to choose.

ps -- J River said they'd be purchasing a Transit USB to test / determine why ASIO at 96k does not appear to work.  I'll post again if/when it gets resolved.
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2007, 04:05 pm by Brucemck »

slwiser

« Reply #17 on: 28 Jan 2007, 09:36 am »
Just a point of reference:

Using the high res audio files with JRiver Media and my M-Audio USB Audiophiles built-in drivers feeding my Lavry DA10 (CrystalLock), I get a solid lock at 96 kHz.

Are my M-Audio USB Audiophile drivers that much different from the Transit?

audioengr

« Reply #18 on: 28 Jan 2007, 07:03 pm »
Just a point of reference:

Using the high res audio files with JRiver Media and my M-Audio USB Audiophiles built-in drivers feeding my Lavry DA10 (CrystalLock), I get a solid lock at 96 kHz.

Are my M-Audio USB Audiophile drivers that much different from the Transit?

Yes, the drivers are much different, but the Transit drivers should also work at 24/96.

Steve N.

Brucemck

« Reply #19 on: 28 Jan 2007, 11:40 pm »
Following is the response from the J River site ....

"ASIO can request data in many formats, and there was a problem when a card requested the 24-bit LSB format.
This will be fixed in build 12.0.155 and later.  We may roll it to v11 at a later date.
Thanks again for the help."

So, the Transit USB should be working soon in a future J River release.

Thanks.