Which tube amp can push the HT3's hard?

Big Red Machine

Which tube amp can push the HT3's hard?
« on: 10 Oct 2006, 11:52 am »
Okay, I like it loud and I have never had tubes before.

Present system is Sim Audio P3 pre, MF A5 CD, PS Audio GCA500 Level 1 mods by Parts Connexion, and PurePower 1050 driving Von Schweikert VR4 Jr's via Analysis Plus Big Silver and Oval 9.

I am considering changing to the Cary SLP98P pre and Cary 303/300 CD player with the digital and tube output.

My questions are:

Does the pre or the amp really give you the tubey sound?
Should I change out the behemoth 500 wpc class D amp for a tube amp?  (It can be very sterile)
And if I do, how many watts should I get to get the HT3's (in build) really humming? 150?

I have a dedicated 2 channel room double drywalled and double door'd 14 x 20 x 8 and heavily treated.

Give me names, power levels, types, dealers, prices...bring it on.  I am a neophyte when to comes to tubes.

jermmd

Re: Which tube amp can push the HT3's hard?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2006, 12:05 pm »
George (Zybar) has the Dodd Audio 200wpc monoblocks and the Moscode 401 hybrid amp in his system right now. He feels they are both an improvement over his previous McCormack DNA 500 ss amp. He also has a BAT amp as his reference.

I have the McCormack in my system right now and it works very well with my HT3's. I'd love to demo those tubed amps in my system.

Joe

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2006, 01:03 pm »
Boy, that Moscode looks like the ticket!!

Where can I see and read up on the Dodd's?  Their website is empty.

Why is the BAT the reference amp in the bunch?

sts9fan

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2006, 01:07 pm »
Why is the BAT the reference amp in the bunch?

Amp1$>Amp2$ = Amp1 is reference.

95bcwh

« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2006, 02:16 pm »
Yes indeed, I kind of feel that the Moscode is THE amp for me, my current system with the Bryston 4B-SST sounded too bright. I'm waiting for George to firm up his evaluation of the 3 amps.

George (Zybar) has the Dodd Audio 200wpc monoblocks and the Moscode 401 hybrid amp in his system right now. He feels they are both an improvement over his previous McCormack DNA 500 ss amp. He also has a BAT amp as his reference.
Joe

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2006, 03:53 pm »
Couple of corrections and comments:

1.  The BAT amp that is my reference is the VK-600SE stereo amp.

2.  The Dodd 120 mono amps are 120 watts each, not 200 watts.

I do feel that all three amps surpassed the performance of the very good McCormack DNA-500 and that any of the amps could be the cornerstone of a very good system.

All three amps will drive the Salk HT3's to loud levels (94+ db's sustained) in my good sized room.

I have been spending time the past month or so with the Dodd and Moscode.

Sorry for not posting any formal reviews or comparisons yet.  I have been trying to not jump the gun and really get a handle on things.

I will try and get something out soon.

George

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2006, 07:04 pm »
Quick info update for Moscode fans.  They will be offering a show special price at RMAF but did not reveal the dollar amount.  Since I am going to RMAF this year I may be getting much closer to getting what I am after - large gobs of power with tubes!!

95bcwh

« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2006, 07:05 pm »
Quick info update for Moscode fans.  They will be offering a show special price at RMAF but did not reveal the dollar amount.  Since I am going to RMAF this year I may be getting much closer to getting what I am after - large gobs of power with tubes!!

How many units are on offer?  :drool:

95bcwh

« Reply #8 on: 10 Oct 2006, 07:08 pm »
There was a show special at the LA HES show in June. $4k versus the $4500 retail price.

I thought the retail price is $4995? :scratch:

jermmd

« Reply #9 on: 10 Oct 2006, 08:16 pm »
Maybe a show special group buy? $4000 seems pretty decent. I would still want a demo period though as I'm not so sure how easy it would be to sell the Moscode if I liked the McCormack better. I doubt it would be very difficult to sell the McCormack.

I'd like to demo the Dodd's as well. Sorry about the power error. It was very late when I posted.

I look forward to George's review. At this level of equipment, they're all good.

95bcwh

« Reply #10 on: 10 Oct 2006, 08:35 pm »

I'd like to demo the Dodd's as well.

Those who took the plunge and bought the Dodd for $2600 must be laughing to their bank now, just seeing how much their amps are selling for now :lol:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 10 Oct 2006, 10:03 pm »

I'd like to demo the Dodd's as well.

Those who took the plunge and bought the Dodd for $2600 must be laughing to their bank now, just seeing how much their amps are selling for now :lol:
Maybe owners of the latest Dodd amps will correct me, but I believe the version selling now is improved over the version that sold during the group buy. The point being, an apples to apples value comparison is not possible because of differences between the two versions regarding performance and parts content.

There are supposed to be some substantial parts "upgrades" with the newest version, but only Gary knows what the sonic improvement is since the new amps aren't available yet.

I believe Gary will have all of his new products at RMAF.

George

toobluvr

« Reply #12 on: 11 Oct 2006, 02:20 am »

Maybe owners of the latest Dodd amps will correct me, but I believe the version selling now is improved over the version that sold during the group buy. The point being, an apples to apples value comparison is not possible because of differences between the two versions regarding performance and parts content.

I'm sure Gary won't mind if I take license...here it is, straight from the horses mouth:

"Hello, I have had 3 versions of the 120's. The first ones which I sold for $2600 had aluminum fronts and wood sides just like the 2nd versions, but the power transformers were smaller. The 2nd version had the same look, but larger power transformers and circuit changes that led to a huge distortion reduction of the front end stages. These are the ones sold in the group buy a year or so ago. I sold 24 pair of them for $2000 a pair shipped! Any that were sold before that or after that sold for $2600 pair. Also that sale was to get alot of these amps out there and get some feedback on them. Currently there are no amps being sold! I am still in the final stages of getting these new amps ready. I am working on new 120's and new 50's.  I have sold 1 pair of the 50's (very early on) and 2 pair of the 120's, both sold for  full price. I always will sell a few of a new product to get it out, and I will sell those very few for a super good deal. No other amps have been sold........."

See his unabridged post here, near bottom of page:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=30818.msg279746#msg279746

It looks like "version 3" of the 120's will be quite different from what has been sold to this point.
If I am reading this correctly, only 2 pair of V3 have been sold.  So apart from these, anything else out there currently is either version 1 or 2.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 11 Oct 2006, 10:40 am »
Maybe a show special group buy? $4000 seems pretty decent. I would still want a demo period though as I'm not so sure how easy it would be to sell the Moscode if I liked the McCormack better. I doubt it would be very difficult to sell the McCormack.

I'd like to demo the Dodd's as well. Sorry about the power error. It was very late when I posted.

I look forward to George's review. At this level of equipment, they're all good.

Hint, hint...be prepared to sell the DNA-500.

George

arthurs

« Reply #14 on: 11 Oct 2006, 02:03 pm »
I'm with George, both the Dodd and Moscode are excellent amps, I've owned both and lived with both in the house a pretty good period of time.  I think in addition to upgraded parts, the layout and chassis have been changed on Gary's new offering. 

At this level of gear it becomes about personal preference and system synergy, IMO.

95bcwh

« Reply #15 on: 11 Oct 2006, 02:30 pm »
I'm with George, both the Dodd and Moscode are excellent amps, I've owned both and lived with both in the house a pretty good period of time.  I think in addition to upgraded parts, the layout and chassis have been changed on Gary's new offering. 

At this level of gear it becomes about personal preference and system synergy, IMO.

Author, so between the Dodd and Moscode you picked the Dodd? Which version of Dodd do you have?

Regards
barry

arthurs

« Reply #16 on: 11 Oct 2006, 02:35 pm »
Not necessarily, you can't update systems right now on the circle.  I had the MKII Dodd's.

try here...

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vevol&1115953260&read&3&4&

95bcwh

« Reply #17 on: 11 Oct 2006, 02:42 pm »
ok, sorry, i was looking at your system description on this forum and i only saw Dodd 120... ok, so you keep the Moscode :thumb: