What tubes are people using in the Dodd 120 mono amps?

prokennex

Re: What tubes are people using in the Dodd 120 mono amps?
« Reply #40 on: 15 Sep 2006, 10:52 pm »
The deals that Gary offered in the past on  both his preamps and amps were more easily facilitated because there was no middle man. With the anouncement of the group buy on the 120's, it was stated that the prices would go up because of going mainstream. Wouldn't it be a conflict of interest if he offered deals lower than what his retailer would be selling them for?

tvad4

« Reply #41 on: 15 Sep 2006, 11:02 pm »
Wouldn't it be a conflict of interest if he offered deals lower than what his retailer would be selling them for?
Absolutely.

My point is that the street price is an ephemeral number. At least this has been my experience. Perhaps Dodd dealers do not discount, but that'd be a first.

prokennex

« Reply #42 on: 15 Sep 2006, 11:37 pm »
Currently, I'm quite sure Gary has just one dealer Mike at "Tweek Geek", at which he is selling the 120's for $4895.
If more dealers start selling Dodd gear, we might see the ephemeral numbers which you have experienced with other dealers.

tvad4

« Reply #43 on: 15 Sep 2006, 11:52 pm »
Currently, I'm quite sure Gary has just one dealer Mike at "Tweek Geek", at which he is selling the 120's for $4895.
If more dealers start selling Dodd gear, we might see the ephemeral numbers which you have experienced with other dealers.

Sounds like Tweak Geek has a monopoly.  :wink:

AudioFanKJ

• Industry Participant
« Reply #44 on: 16 Sep 2006, 02:02 pm »
Perhaps Gary can chime in here, as this was a valid question Tvad has raised, and I inquired about it a few months ago.

There was a group buy a couple (perhaps few) years back on the 120 mono's for $2K per pair.  From what I recall, it was roughly 20-25 people...

Again, if memory serves correct, those amps have been redesigned to what was the "current" version as of a few months ago...

The "latest" design - which has yet to be seen, has taken the 120 mono's to "another level" according to Gary.

"Latest" design features incorporate more than twice the capacitor supply in the output stages.  ALL output capacitors now have bypass caps.  No bypass caps were used at all in prior designs.
B+ voltage raised, as well as a much higher purity metal for the winding of the transformers.  New circuit board design for lower noise floor.  New cosmetic look as well.

All of the above is from memory, and may be subeject to correction from Gary, but that is what I remember...  Also, with the above mentioned changes, the new amps will also be more powerful.
Gary didn't intend to change the name of the 120's and hasn't had them measured yet... however, it sounded as if they may be more like 140-160 wpc.

Gary - please confirm/deny and/or correct...   :D

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
« Reply #45 on: 16 Sep 2006, 04:08 pm »
Hello, I have had 3 versions of the 120's. The first ones which I sold for $2600 had aluminum fronts and wood sides just like the 2nd versions, but the power transformers were smaller. The 2nd version had the same look, but larger power transformers and circuit changes that led to a huge distortion reduction of the front end stages. These are the ones sold in the group buy a year or so ago. I sold 24 pair of them for $2000 a pair shipped! Any that were sold before that or after that sold for $2600 pair. Also that sale was to get alot of these amps out there and get some feedback on them. Currently there are no amps being sold! I am still in the final stages of getting these new amps ready. I am working on new 120's and new 50's. I have sold 1 pair of the 50's (very early on) and 2 pair of the 120's, both sold for  full price. I always will sell a few of a new product to get it out, and I will sell those very few for a super good deal. No other amps have been sold. TweekGeek (Mike) has them listed for sale but I have told him not to sell any. He is however selling the preamps and balanced power supplies. Currently he is my only dealer, but that is about to change as soon as I can get the new product ready. The new amplifiers are going to be priced as follows, 120's, $5200 pair, and the new 50's are going to be $3600 pair. Also I will no longer pay the shipping, the customer will pay. The preamps will go up to $3300. Balanced power supplies I haven't decided yet, but they will go up.
The costs of materials is way up and I have made many changes to the new 120's, and no one except Danny has seen the new 50's ever! The 120's have been cosmetically redesigned, I am now using a 3" high chassis, this gave me the room I need to increase the power supply capability. They will also match the new preamps with the laquered wood and chrome. The whole new DODD line will look the same! Other than that I have more than doubled the capacitance of the main B+ supply and used bypass caps on all cans in the entire amp. The front end has PI filtering with alot of capacitance as well. I also increased the loaded B+ from 430 volts to 525 to the plates, and I increase the current another 100ma. 165 joules of storage @525 volts OUCH!! I tweeked the primary impedance of the output transformer to compensate for the increased voltage. And I changed the iron in the transformers to grain oriented steel. I designed the new single PCB for low noise and ease of building. I have only 1 prototype mono running and I can only say that is is more dynamic and has quite a bunch more power. I am guessing around 140 -150 watts. This is truly a different version of the 120 that has not been offered like this before. Everything I did to these new amps has increased the costs, plus not to mention the increase in materials. The new pricing will be what is stated and will not go down. I may however offer, when I have product that can be built quickly, another group buy on some products before I start a dealer network.  The new 50's are a creation that uses a cool tube! Single tube in P-P mode! Very cool ask Danny, he's the only one who has them. So, now the pricing thing is done, who cares who paid what for what, thats then this is now.

alotaklipsch

« Reply #46 on: 16 Sep 2006, 10:21 pm »
Gary, well said, and GOOD LUCK, mty friend :thumb:

jon_010101

« Reply #47 on: 21 Sep 2006, 06:48 am »
The new 50's are a creation that uses a cool tube! Single tube in P-P mode! Very cool ask Danny, he's the only one who has them.

OOooooo.... Can you share what tube this is? :shh: