AudioCircle member's regulator and power supply upgrades

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
Hi Folks,

There are too many upgrade projects now in action for me to be able to acquire hardware for each project and upgrade it myself and there are literally thousands of items of equipment suitable for upgrade.

Because of this I would like to start a projects thread where you can post pictures and details about your project progress and what you think of the results of your PH regulator or power supply upgrade.

Supporting this thread will show others how specific upgrades are performed and give valuable feedback about performance and whether it was worth the effort.

I will do my best to provide general information and advice to help where possible to ensure projects are completed successfully.

This will be a valuable resource for all upgrade enthusiasts and having this general information readily accessible will save me a lot of time as I have much e-mail to get through on a daily basis that covers the same ground. The time saved will enable me to develop and production engineer new products as well as begin a series of DIY projects for enthusiasts. These DIY projects will include preamplifiers, power amplifiers, digital projects and loudspeaker projects and because there are no non-disclosure agreements attached to these projects I will be providing circuit details and possibly printed circuit boards if enough interest is shown.

Regards
Paul

kenreau

Re: AudioCircle member's regulator and power supply upgrades
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2010, 01:01 am »
Hi Paul,

I would be very interested in a project thread related to a linear PS for the Apple Mac Mini.  I read in your PR3 thread, when set up for 18v5 it will power the Mac Mini.  Is there an existing thread for reference information, projects built, etc.?

Thanks
Kenreau

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2010, 01:54 am »
Ken & all,

Hi fellas,

In order to complement my Bolder SB3 w/Digital Enthusiast modifications, I built a power supply that puts out a fixed 5 volts.

Ingredients are as follows:
  • Furutech IEC
  • ACME fuse
  • Hammond split bobbin transformer (model 166N10) - this unit minimizes the need for an electrostatic shield
  • Hammond 60mH/2A choke (model 159ZC)
  • Peter Daniel PS board
  • MUR 3060 Hexfred Diodes (4)
  • Jensen 10,000 uf /63V DC Four Pole Capacitors (2)
  • Paul Hynes SR1MP shunt regulator
  • Neutrik XLR
  • VH Audio Copper wire
  • ERS sheets & Soundcoat damping
  • DIY Enclosures 0610 chassis
  • Engraving by Front Panel Express

Please feel free to ask any questions/comments/criticisms. I tried to implement a Felix AC filtration unit as well, but it didn't fit in the enclosure.

Anand.

kenreau

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun 2010, 03:17 am »
Anand, very impressive!

How does it sound?

Thx
Kenreau

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2010, 12:36 pm »
Hi kenreau,

I have started a thread for the Mac Mini. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi Anand,

Thanks for taking the time to show your project. Excellent build quality and your photos show how straight forward the internals of a power supply build can be.

Regards
Paul

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jun 2010, 07:14 pm »
Anand, very impressive!

How does it sound?

Thx
Kenreau

Ken,

Excellent, I haven't changed it in 2 years. In fact, if I don't use the USB/HD option for the SB Touch, I should be able to use the same supply. I have Paul (Occam) Kaplan's 3A filtered power cord on it now since I couldn't fit a Felix. FWIW, this supply is now state of the art. An excellent power cord coupled with a wonderful in line filter then my Katalyst PS as listed above. Other than adding Bybees all over the place I can't think of anything else.

Trust me Ken, Paul Hynes supplies deliver. You should use them everywhere and I want to look into his current sources for my tube designs. My nearly finished Sabre 32 dac has his shunt regulators as well.

Anand.

ozzyan

« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2012, 11:26 am »
PR3-based PSU for M2Tech Evo:

Internal Evo upgrades:

Result:

Cheers Paul, many thanx!

tubesguy2

« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2012, 05:15 pm »
Great idea, Paul.  I hope to see someone doing a project involving Meridian (568 in my case) equipment - the most unmodified stuff in the world, apparently.