Cheap and Cheerful DAC's!!!A thread about DAC's under $500-

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
I'm interested in finding out what DAC's are out there for under $500, what they can do, what they can't do. Maybe we'll uncover a little gem maybe we won't but I wanted to start a thread where bargain shoppers like myself can check out DAC's.
 Lets list some......I currently use a Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09 @ $200ish a fantastic tube DAC.
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2011, 12:52 am by eclein »

persisting1

Re: Cheap and Cheerful DAC's!!!A thread about DAC's under $500-
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2011, 08:50 pm »
Some here really like the HRT Music Streamer II.  At $150, I think it's a good value.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=80062.msg764931#msg764931

wushuliu

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2011, 09:05 pm »
My recs will be no surprise.

<$500
Audio-gd NFB 2 & 3 (24/96 USB, 24/192 Coax/Optical)

http://audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/NFB-2/NFB2EN.htm

<$300
Audio-gd NFB 12 (Dac + HP Amp/Preamp)

http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB12/NFB12EN.htm

<$100
Muse TDA1543 (coax and optical)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Audio-DIR9001-4X-TDA1543-parallel-connection-NOS-DAC-S-/270725592140?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0880b44c

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2011, 09:43 pm »
Hegel HD2 got a great review in this shootout of DACs in this translation from a Scandanavian magazine. HRT Streamer and HRT Pro both also reviewed here too:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=no&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=no&tl=en&u=http://www.lydogbilde.no/test/hegel-hd2&act=url

Ericus Rex

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2011, 09:58 pm »
Beresford DAC sounds great for about $260.  They used to run specials on Audiogon but haven't seen them there for a while.

http://www.beresford-dac.com/

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2011, 10:03 pm »

Guys this is great stuff, exactly what I was looking for thank you and keep them comin!!!! :thumb:

MLS

« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2011, 11:21 pm »
I have  Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC.  It has a true tube output and is in the $350.00 range.  So far I have been enjoying it and rolled some tubes through it.  Right now I have some Amprex (HP) labled 12AU7 in it that are very sweet sounding but a little light on bass.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2011, 11:37 pm »
There's a thread about the Beresford and that is essentially the same as the $120 MCM DAC.  I have the Emotiva XDA-1 in the secondary basement system that I got for $299 and it is built great and I have no complaints about the sound quality at its price point.  I have a Bryston BDA-1 in the main system

Mxyzpltk

« Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2011, 12:00 am »
I've been looking at around the same price range, among the others already mentioned there are the HLLY DMK-IV and SMK-III both at around $300, the very few reviews I can find seem very positive, the popular V-DAC, the Yulong DAH1 and D100 that has many many followers.

But right now in my wishlist the HEGEL is at the top, followed by the audio-gd's but have not pulled the trigger on any to see if I can stretch that budget a bit  :)

I have  Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC.  It has a true tube output and is in the $350.00 range.  So far I have been enjoying it and rolled some tubes through it.  Right now I have some Amprex (HP) labled 12AU7 in it that are very sweet sounding but a little light on bass.

I have not heard about this one until now, can you be so kind in telling us how good is the usb next to the other inputs in it, and what exactly do they mean when the say "USB upsampling to 24/96 Hz", is it just bad translation and they meant that the usb supports 24bit/96KHz or if it is a way to hide the fact that it supports only 16/48 and it gets upsampled?

pardales

« Reply #9 on: 26 Apr 2011, 01:40 am »
In the last 6 months I have owned both the HRT II+ ($350) and more recently the Hegel HD2 ($350). The HRT II+ is an excellent all around performer and is much better than its first iteration. 

I have decided to keep the Hegel as I feel it is more refined sounding, does slightly better bass, more realistic voices, and has a lower output voltage, which allow me more play with my volume control. Enjoying it.

The rate of change and trickle down technology in the DAC market has me unwilling to spend over $500 on DAC's these days.
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2011, 03:09 am by pardales »

roscoeiii

« Reply #10 on: 26 Apr 2011, 01:47 am »
Based on how competitive the Hegel was in the shootout, that may well be a goo plan. But if you can afford it, or have some buddies around with more expensive DACs, I would still suggest auditioning a higher price DAC to see the difference it might make with your sweet new VR33s...

pardales

« Reply #11 on: 26 Apr 2011, 02:07 am »
Based on how competitive the Hegel was in the shootout, that may well be a goo plan. But if you can afford it, or have some buddies around with more expensive DACs, I would still suggest auditioning a higher price DAC to see the difference it might make with your sweet new VR33s...

:wink: I hear you. I have owned more expensive DAC's and amps. My last >1K DAC was the Tranquility. At this point the money is in my speakers (VR-33's), which are being driven by the upgraded version of the Dayens Ampino.

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 26 Apr 2011, 02:10 am »

That certainly makes sense.  It is free to listen.  You can audition and perhaps revise your thoughts.  If you do decide you want something more expensive, you can always buy something that may hold its value a bit better (i.e. used) so that it hurts less

roscoeiii

« Reply #13 on: 26 Apr 2011, 02:14 am »
Pardales,

That makes great sense to allocate your funds like that. And based on reviews of the components you are using, I bet that set-up sounds fantastic. Please do keep us informed. Would love to hear a write-up your impressions of that system and how it compares to the Horn Shoppe-MiniWatt set-up you had earlier (IIRC).

Levi

« Reply #14 on: 26 Apr 2011, 02:58 am »
Several guys here swear by the Maverick DAC.  ;) 
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=78467.0

I would say you increase your budget a little and buy an Eastern Electric DAC.

I'm interested in finding out what DAC's are out there for under $500, what they can do, what they can't do. Maybe we'll uncover a little gem maybe we won't but I wanted to start a thread where bargain shoppers like myself can check out DAC's.
 Lets list some......I currently use a Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09 @ $200ish a fantastic tube DAC.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 26 Apr 2011, 03:06 am »
Pardales-that setup sounds like its awesome and I also agree with your take on spending $500 or less on a DAC, tech is moving so fast anymore we are bound to get some sweet performers in this price range that will give the high end DAC's a run for their money.

This is fantastic, I already have 3 or 4 more options that I can easily afford, you guys with the audio-gd stuff how long was your wait. I'd love to order an audio-gd DAC but I'm too impatient to wait 2-3 months, so how long did you guys wait??
 :thumb:

Levi if I could I would, especially after hearing yours way back at that rave where we met...I still remember that DAC fondly. Gene and I both were like-"thats the one".

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #16 on: 26 Apr 2011, 03:56 am »
There's a thread about the Beresford and that is essentially the same as the $120 MCM DAC.  I have the Emotiva XDA-1 in the secondary basement system that I got for $299 and it is built great and I have no complaints about the sound quality at its price point.  I have a Bryston BDA-1 in the main system

A second for the TEC TC-7510 which is the exact model that Beresford sold for around $250.  Still available at MCM for $121, up from the $109 I bought it for.  Untouchable at that price, although for a bit more there are several suggestions here that may be better.
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/50-7774&CAWELAID=220554383

BTW, great selections all gentlemen, I may have to go on a DAC binge soon.  8)

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 26 Apr 2011, 04:46 am »
Welcome to our new moderator here at cheap and cheerful- Letitroll98 !!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #18 on: 26 Apr 2011, 04:58 am »

This is fantastic, I already have 3 or 4 more options that I can easily afford, you guys with the audio-gd stuff how long was your wait. I'd love to order an audio-gd DAC but I'm too impatient to wait 2-3 months, so how long did you guys wait??
 :thumb:

Pacific Valve's audio-gd offerings tend to have a 2-3 week or less wait posted.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #19 on: 26 Apr 2011, 10:17 am »
Beresford DAC sounds great for about $260.  They used to run specials on Audiogon but haven't seen them there for a while.

http://www.beresford-dac.com/

This comment is a twist from the original intent I guess.  First, Beresford's 7520 is supposed to be different, better than, the MCM DAC.  That being said, since I bought an Eastern Electric DAC several months ago (slightly more than $500), I have not used my Beresford 7520 at all.  I bought the 7520 I think about year.  I then upgraded the 5532 opamp, replacing it with the THS4032, at the recommendation of the distributor.  It really made it much smoother.  If anyone is considering buying one, I'd be happy to sell it at $140 shipped.  The Beresford is in excellent condition.  When I had it, it saw light duty.  Would say 9/10.