The great DAC shoot out... The Music Streamer II

Danny Richie

The great DAC shoot out... The Music Streamer II
« on: 14 Apr 2010, 03:00 am »
Okay there was this other little DAC at the shoot out called the Music Streamer II:

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/87045

Steve brought this over and I was interested in hearing it, but there wasn't a lot of enthusiasm to really compare it to the big dogs. I didn't think it would really be a good comparison to anything else, and I was wrong. That was a mistake in my thinking for sure. It was comparable to some of the big dogs.

This thing runs off of the power that it gets from the PC. It does not have it's own (noisy) switching power supply. That can really be a plus.

Keep in mind that it had an unbelievable front ahead of it and the USB cable cost nearly twice as much as it does.

Plugged into a standard computer and using a $5.00 USB cable, it might have sounded like poop.

However, in this system, it was very surprising.

I think it was very comparable to the Ayre, PS Audio, or Onix. Yep, I said it. However, once any of those were plugged into the balance power supply and Uber buss then they would pull away and level this little thing behind a little. I also think that even plugged into the wall, the PS Audio DAC (as a stand alone DAC) and the Tranquility were on a different level.

From a quality perspective though it was good. Some people like Chris will favor the Ayre, because it is a smoother sound. And in the right system the Ayre may really be a better performer. It is a matter or taste.

My thoughts were that it had good bottom end. And that was a surprise since it was getting power from the Mac Mini and feeding a tube buffer (Dodd Audio) pre-amp with no gain stage. Having drive was not an issue though. Highs were extended well too. The sound stage and imaging was also extremely good. It still had a bit if that digital sound though. It was not smooth or refined. It had detail but was on the sharp side.

All in all this was an extreme over achiever. 

Rapt

Re: The great DAC shoot out... The Music Streamer II
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2010, 05:55 am »
Okay there was this other little DAC at the shoot out called the Music Streamer II:

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/87045

Steve brought this over and I was interested in hearing it, but there wasn't a lot of enthusiasm to really compare it to the big dogs. I didn't think it would really be a good comparison to anything else, and I was wrong. That was a mistake in my thinking for sure. It was comparable to some of the big dogs.

This thing runs off of the power that it gets from the PC. It does not have it's own (noisy) switching power supply. That can really be a plus.

Keep in mind that it had an unbelievable front ahead of it and the USB cable cost nearly twice as much as it does.

Plugged into a standard computer and using a $5.00 USB cable, it might have sounded like poop.

However, in this system, it was very surprising.

I think it was very comparable to the Ayre, PS Audio, or Onix. Yep, I said it. However, once any of those were plugged into the balance power supply and Uber buss then they would pull away and level this little thing behind a little. I also think that even plugged into the wall, the PS Audio DAC (as a stand alone DAC) and the Tranquility were on a different level.

From a quality perspective though it was good. Some people like Chris will favor the Ayre, because it is a smoother sound. And in the right system the Ayre may really be a better performer. It is a matter or taste.

My thoughts were that it had good bottom end. And that was a surprise since it was getting power from the Mac Mini and feeding a tube buffer (Dodd Audio) pre-amp with no gain stage. Having drive was not an issue though. Highs were extended well too. The sound stage and imaging was also extremely good. It still had a bit if that digital sound though. It was not smooth or refined. It had detail but was on the sharp side.

All in all this was an extreme over achiever.

Interesting, starting to wonder if I should bother upgrading to one of the "big dogs" as I think my VAlab NOS DAC sounds great. hmmm!

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2010, 11:55 pm »
Anyone had a chance to compare the original Streamer+ (great reviews and Blue Moon award & Golden Ear award winner) with the Streamer II (non + model)? They are within $50 of each other right now, and it is tough to tell which would sound better. Streamer II has async USB and can handle 24/96. And the measured specs of the Streamer II are much closer to the original Streamer + than was the case for the original Streamer & Streamer+.

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2010, 12:16 am »
Decided to pick up the phone and go straight to the source: HRT recommends the Streamer II over the original version of the Streamer+.

pardales

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2010, 12:50 am »
Anyone had a chance to compare the original Streamer+ (great reviews and Blue Moon award & Golden Ear award winner) with the Streamer II (non + model)? They are within $50 of each other right now, and it is tough to tell which would sound better. Streamer II has async USB and can handle 24/96. And the measured specs of the Streamer II are much closer to the original Streamer + than was the case for the original Streamer & Streamer+.

I'm curious about this too. I tried the original Streamer+ and while it was good for the money, it was just that, "good".

roscoeiii

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2010, 01:14 am »
pardales,

Did you have a chance to compare the HRT Streamer+ with the dB Tranquility you are currently using? And did you use it with your Horn Shoppes and MiniWatt? Just got the Horn Shoppes, and thinking about a MiniWatt based on the rave reviews of that pairing....

sl_1800

« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2010, 03:10 am »
HRT Music Streamer II.

This unit was my own personal unit and was not scheduled to be a part of the shootout, it was included at the last minute at my request.  I got the unit from Amazon and had been playing it 24/7 for one week before the comparison.  When it was cold and first plugged into my system I felt it was something special for only $149.00, this was my reason for asking the guys to include it.

As for looks, there isn’t any really, very tiny, hide it behind your computer or anything else because it’s nothing to look at.  Inputs, only one, async usb and 24/96 capability.  I felt the other guys first judged it by it’s looks and didn’t really think it would “measure up” to the other units on hand.  I found it to be better than I had previously thought.  No it’s not as good as the Tranquility, I would give it 3rd place in my opinion, just a tiny bit too bright compared to the Tranquility or PS PWD, but amazing for only $149.00.

I had purchased this unit to use as my traveling companion when I'm on the road.  Macbook Pro to Music Streamer II to my home made battery headphone amp and my Sennheiser 600's.  I'm so thrilled with the sound vs dollar, I'm tempted to buy the Music Streamer II + model just to hear the difference, to see if some of the upper range brightness would give way to a more musical experience.

Viridian

« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2010, 02:07 pm »
This is great stuff. Of course a person always wonders how a new product stacks up against what they already have. I'm no different. I wonder if anyone has heard this DAC compared to something like a Peter Daniel's USB DAC? They are both fairly budget DACs. Also, I noticed in looking on Amazon that there are two higher models from the Music Streamer II. It's going to be a while saving for the Tranquility.

Erik

pardales

« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2010, 02:24 pm »
pardales,

Did you have a chance to compare the HRT Streamer+ with the dB Tranquility you are currently using? And did you use it with your Horn Shoppes and MiniWatt? Just got the Horn Shoppes, and thinking about a MiniWatt based on the rave reviews of that pairing....

I did not have them at the same time. As far as I can recall from memory though the original Music Streamer+ was not in the same league as the Tranquility DAC, in my system.

I can vouch for the fact that the Miniwatt and the Horns have fabulous synergy. If you want to PM me we can talk more specifically about that as it is not really relevant to this thread.
« Last Edit: 14 May 2010, 06:59 pm by pardales »

se-riously

« Reply #9 on: 29 Apr 2010, 06:46 pm »
Being a bang-for-buck kinda guy, I am wondering if the use of a USB AB adapter plugged directly between the PC/laptop and the Music Streamer (no cable at all) can be a low cost (high bang-for-buck) alternative to using a $300 audiophile USB cable.  I do not doubt that the better shielding, winding, and gauge of an audiophile USB cable will make a difference on this type of application.  However, what I'm wondering is if the deficiencies of a "cheapy" USB cable can be minimized by using an adaptor to essentially minimize the wire length, cross talk, etc.  Any thoughts?

se-riously

« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2010, 05:59 pm »
6moons did a review of the Music Streamer II.  It appears that replacing the standard freebie 6-feet USB cable with a $5 3-feet Belkin USB cable made quite a difference too.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/hrt3/streamer2.html

I'm still curious about using just a USB adapter (no cable at all between the computer and the Streamer).

cody69

« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2010, 01:50 am »
Without having any previous background with music servers, I was cautious about spending the money to jump to the end state and buy one of the highly rated and more expensive DACs discussed on this forum. Instead, I decided to start more modestly and purchased the Music Streamer II.

Pleasantly surprised -- I couldn't be happier with it! Highs are strong, with ample low end performance. As mentioned above, it has a solid state sound that won't be mistaken for a tube unit. But for the money, I feel this is a great value. At some point, the bug will eventually bite, but for now I'm in no hurry to trade up.