Beware of fraudulent ebay listings

jsalk

Beware of fraudulent ebay listings
« on: 27 Apr 2010, 06:44 pm »
It has come to our attention that someone is listing "Signature Sound" speakers for sale on eBay.  They lifted photos and copy from our web site.  They even had the audacity to charge more than we do. And they claim to have 10 pairs/sets of each for delivery in 5 - 10 days!

But they do not have the speakers, since I know where every pair is.  All I can say is "it's a scam."  Buyer beware!

- Jim

polarbare

Re: Beware of fraudulent ebay listings
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2010, 07:27 pm »
Ouch - not sure how much good reporting them will do, but might be worth the effort. Thanks for the heads up (for future buyers).

ETA - just tried searching eBay to find the scum, but didn't get any hits (searched "signature" in home audio, speakers), so maybe they got taken down.

toobluvr

« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2010, 07:30 pm »

If someone were doing that to my product,  I'd be contacting the authorities...and the auction site at a minimum.  Yesterday!

srb

« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2010, 07:40 pm »
I wonder how this scam will play out.  The seller has 100% positive feedback, but I have learned that could be misleading.

A friend of mine, a guitar collector, bought a "vintage" Les Paul from a seller in the UK for >$10K.  He received the guitar, but it was actually a Chinese copy, worth a few hundred dollars at best.

The seller had "100% positive feedback", but that also turned out to be counterfeit as well.  He had somehow hijacked another seller's feedback.

The "Signature" speakers are still up on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/1pair-3-way-Home-Theater-Speakers-/170477336466?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item27b13db792

Steve

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2010, 07:51 pm »
Plus it looks like most of his feedback is within the last few weeks and as a buyer not a seller.

The internet is a VERY dangerous place.

dmatt

« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2010, 07:59 pm »
I reported the listing to eBay.

I also asked the seller if the speakers in the listing are Salks (knowing they aren't) since all the info came from the Salk site.  I wonder what the response will be (if any).

HoosierInOhio

« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2010, 08:05 pm »
I reported it too.  I used to sell a lot on ebay and other sellers would steal my photos and use them.  I reported them when I could.  Its better to report then contact the seller cause then they just get nasty with you.

MaxCast

« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2010, 08:17 pm »
Jim, you should contact ebay.
I submitted a report also.

jsalk

« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2010, 09:41 pm »
I did report this to eBay this morning.  But I haven't had a reply from them yet.

- Jim

rlee8394

« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 2010, 04:52 am »
The seller also lifted the Salk HTS System and the SongSub. Look at his "other items."

http://shop.ebay.com/cclemons/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

Ron

funkmonkey

« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2010, 06:33 am »
They even had the audacity to charge more than we do.

Thats pretty greedy and dumb.  This scam may actually be helping your business out, Jim.  Why buy from some schmutz on ebay when you can get it for real for less!   :wink:

evan1

« Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2010, 08:20 am »
He says he is in NY. and I got a phone number . asked a question and he told me the speakers are from a technical speaker building website. should we call ?  :thumb:

Photon46

« Reply #12 on: 28 Apr 2010, 10:06 am »
I wrote the seller as well and asked why he wasn't disclosing the origins of the ad copy and the true manufacturer. I also asked how he managed to have ten pair of speakers that are custom built one at time. He responded with a phone number I could call and asked if I was insinuating that "these aren't excellent speakers." They never addressed any of my questions.

Sonix

« Reply #13 on: 28 Apr 2010, 02:28 pm »
The auction says: Standard cabinets (when they become available) is shorter delivery times,
measured in days rather than months.

So I asked: Does this mean that the standard cabinets are
available now? How about other veneers or choice of colors?

His A: Yes but low quantities, 7-10 days max. for the standard cabinet to be shipped. Veneers and colors are 3-4 wks .
Sorry no sample veneers. You can check out the 5 speaker set . The listing has different pics .

Q: Was interested in any reviews or user feedback on your Signature speakers. Are these imported?

A: Not imported MADE IN USA ,and I dont keep track of user feedback , so you can be the first and so sure of quality.
I do have a return policy if not a superior component in your theater system . This return policy may change becuase of removalbe parts .
THANKS

This is such a disgrace. It borders on being sacreligious.

It really hurts to see Jim's beautiful creations and hard work being pimped by this idiot.

This guy is not thinking. He is digging a very big hole.

Regards,
Ken

Don_S

« Reply #14 on: 28 Apr 2010, 03:15 pm »
How do you report a fraudulent listing?  I tried but the only route I saw was for someone who had purchased the item and it required submission of the purchase data (method/date/etc).  The area for comments was much too small.  Obviously eBay does not want to know what is going on and does not respond to reports of violations promptly because the fraudulent listing is still posted.

Another lesson for me.  I have never purchased anything on eBay and won't even bother looking in the future.

MaxCast

« Reply #15 on: 28 Apr 2010, 04:31 pm »
ebay personally sent me a reply and recommended the owner of the information (Jim) should contact ebay.

mathgeek97

« Reply #16 on: 28 Apr 2010, 04:35 pm »
Just a few thoughts...

Jim, i would consider a DMCA takedown request.  The "seller" in question is using photos of your speakers without your permission as well as text from your site.  This is a big copyright no-no and leaves eBay exposed.  I'm sure they'd be happy to protect their own a$$.

An old eBay scam, which I'd doubt is happening, is to sell an online product for a) more than retail, or b) less than retail, but significantly overchange for shipping.  (A common example I saw quite a few years ago:  List a new, still in the box, Dell monitor for a $50 discount, charge $100 shipping, then simply have Dell send the monitor and pocket the $50 difference.  Note: Dell has free shipping.)  If the guy says he'll ship you a speaker from Jim, maybe he's trying to act as a middle-man.  However, I'd stick with the original assumption that nobody would ever see anything.

divisionbell77

« Reply #17 on: 28 Apr 2010, 05:30 pm »
google the phone number he gave you and see what comes up.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #18 on: 28 Apr 2010, 06:04 pm »
Why not ask if you can pay cash and pick them up?

divisionbell77

« Reply #19 on: 28 Apr 2010, 07:53 pm »
Why not ask if you can pay cash and pick them up?

Chance of being shot, in or around the face area?