6922s for Dummies

AnalogTubes

• Industry Participant
  • Tubes and custom tube sets.
    • AnalogTubes.com
Re: 6922s for Dummies
« Reply #40 on: 21 Sep 2010, 12:07 am »
I sell tubes but I also own a equipment rental company. Not a plug but I did change all my older 6922s to the new Genalex 6922s and I am very happy with the results.

They are getting very good reviews from others as well.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #41 on: 21 Sep 2010, 03:17 am »
Early in this thread there was a good bit of discussion of the JJ's going microphonic.  Having only been around tubes for 4-5 years, I've never heard a microphonic tube.  Does anyone have a badly microphonic 6dj8 type that I could put in my Dodd pre so that I could hear what it sounds like- or is this likely to cause damage to the unit?

Scott

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #42 on: 21 Sep 2010, 02:39 pm »
Nevermind the above post.  Ahhh, the miracle of YouTube.  I found several examples of microphonic tubes thanks to the TubeDepot.

ltr317

« Reply #43 on: 21 Sep 2010, 05:56 pm »
S Clark - A microphonic tube is different than a noisy tube. 

With a home stereo preamp/amp, a microphonic tube does not make any noise unless you tap/rap the tube with an object.  I recommend a pencil which is non conducive.  On a guitar amp, the tube will make noise when one is playing the instrument because the amp is vibrating and causing the tube to shake. 

A noisy tube will make noise a few seconds after the preamp/amp is turned on, without touching it.  A small driver/preamp tube generally makes either, hissy, static or hum noise, while a power tube generally makes hum.  There are other noises made, but the types I mentioned are the most common.

Many people, including audiophiles confused the two, and mistake one for the other. 

Cheers,
Paul 

Listens2tubes

« Reply #44 on: 25 Sep 2010, 01:47 pm »
Hey Paul :notworthy:

I have sleeve of Amperex PQ 6922 gold pin NOS beauties. Put a pair in my pre during a tube rolling session. I had just put th pre back in the system and only had cd player hooked up. When I connected the turntable I heard a thud when pushing the first RCA into it's socket. I then tapped the volume control THUD :o Tapping the tube would have given me an opportunity to get new speakers. These things will reproduce the human voice impeccably well when said voice is yelling at the tube at close range. :rotflmao:

ltr317

« Reply #45 on: 25 Sep 2010, 05:22 pm »
Hey Paul :notworthy:

I have sleeve of Amperex PQ 6922 gold pin NOS beauties. Put a pair in my pre during a tube rolling session. I had just put th pre back in the system and only had cd player hooked up. When I connected the turntable I heard a thud when pushing the first RCA into it's socket. I then tapped the volume control THUD :o Tapping the tube would have given me an opportunity to get new speakers. These things will reproduce the human voice impeccably well when said voice is yelling at the tube at close range. :rotflmao:

Amperex 6922s, as well as their 7308s are notorious for being microphonic or noisy.  It's rare, and consider oneself lucky, when one finds a quiet one. 

bside123

« Reply #46 on: 25 Sep 2010, 07:42 pm »
A new 6922 substitute tube that I just tried in my Eastern Electric MiniMax CDP is a NOS Cryo-treated Russian Vokshod "Rocket Logo" 6H23. The Russian 6H23 substitutes for 6922 and ECC88 varieties. This tube bettered my NOS 1968 ECC88 Telefunken, as well as my NOS 1969 Amperex-Phillips ECC88s in that particular player... by a significant margin. As the above tubes are well known, highly respected, often sought and pricey to boot, the 6H23 Rocket Logo really impressed me. Oh... I found the Russian tubes from a seller in Florida for only $35 a pair. Sweet!

The 6H23 are smoother and more natural sounding. To my ear the 6H23 tubes resolve better and provide a more coherent presentation across the board. This is not a light claim, especially against the Telefunkens. Also, I believe that the soundstage is deeper and the background noise is quieter with the 6H23. The presentation of the 6H23 Russian tubes is one of texture, sparkle, depth, air plus punch and coherency.

Perhaps the Telefunkens reveal a bit more detail, but it is at the expense of a greater sense of "musicality"... that the 6H23s offer. Dare I say, because I don't really want to, but the Telefunkens almost sound etched or a little edgy in comparison to the 6H23s. This not the impression that I previously had of the Tele's, that was until I heard the 6H23s. The Amperex variety, which I also thought was a superior tube, sounds "harsh" compared to the 6H23. Mind you, I don't want to admit this.

If you want anymore info or my other experiences with these tubes, just respond or send a PM. Thanks and happy listening.

rivieraranch

« Reply #47 on: 25 Oct 2010, 01:34 am »
I found the 6922 quest to be all consuming and not very much fun at all. After navigating through all the variations, worldwide, reading up on the fakes and frauds, the tubes that I am comfortable with are the Jan Sylvania (not Phillips) 6922; 7308, the Electro Harmonix 6922 (a 6H23). My gear also uses the 6N1P and the EV versions perform really well. The circuit in my piece of equipment was designed for the 6N1P so it is not a problem to use something else in there.   

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #48 on: 25 Oct 2010, 01:39 am »
A new 6922 substitute tube that I just tried in my Eastern Electric MiniMax CDP is a NOS Cryo-treated Russian Vokshod "Rocket Logo" 6H23. The Russian 6H23 substitutes for 6922 and ECC88 varieties. This tube bettered my NOS 1968 ECC88 Telefunken, as well as my NOS 1969 Amperex-Phillips ECC88s in that particular player... by a significant margin. As the above tubes are well known, highly respected, often sought and pricey to boot, the 6H23 Rocket Logo really impressed me. Oh... I found the Russian tubes from a seller in Florida for only $35 a pair. Sweet!

The 6H23 are smoother and more natural sounding. To my ear the 6H23 tubes resolve better and provide a more coherent presentation across the board. This is not a light claim, especially against the Telefunkens. Also, I believe that the soundstage is deeper and the background noise is quieter with the 6H23. The presentation of the 6H23 Russian tubes is one of texture, sparkle, depth, air plus punch and coherency.

Perhaps the Telefunkens reveal a bit more detail, but it is at the expense of a greater sense of "musicality"... that the 6H23s offer. Dare I say, because I don't really want to, but the Telefunkens almost sound etched or a little edgy in comparison to the 6H23s. This not the impression that I previously had of the Tele's, that was until I heard the 6H23s. The Amperex variety, which I also thought was a superior tube, sounds "harsh" compared to the 6H23. Mind you, I don't want to admit this.

If you want anymore info or my other experiences with these tubes, just respond or send a PM. Thanks and happy listening.

Any link to these? Are they a true 6922? Thank you

doctorcilantro

« Reply #49 on: 25 Oct 2010, 02:09 am »

It would be interesting, hopefully telling, to see how these tested on the Amplitrex with the 6922 parameters.

bside123

« Reply #50 on: 25 Oct 2010, 07:05 am »
NOS Cryo-treated Russian Vokshod "Rocket Logo" 6H23. The Russian 6H23 substitutes for 6922 and ECC88 varieties.

Here's where you can find out more information regarding the Vokshod "Rocket Logo" 6H23:

Tom Scata  (thetubeguy1954) SETriodes Forum - Central Florida Audio Society - Fullrange Drivers thetubeguy1954@yahoo.com.

I've also checked with several other sources as well as have consulted with Tom Tutay (a renowned tube gear "guru" and well known on AC) regarding the parameters of the 6H23 as a substitute for 6922. All the information I have fully corroborates the 6H23 is virtually a 6922, only a Russian designation, and is completely compatible. Enjoy!

doctorcilantro

« Reply #51 on: 25 Oct 2010, 09:21 am »
If Tom verified it, enough said. Thanks!

Listens2tubes

« Reply #52 on: 30 Oct 2010, 11:35 pm »
I also had the cryoed 6H23's from Agon. They almost unseated the Valvo E188CC/7308's but their small "cling" of microphonics each time the input selector is turned bothered me. But for the money they really had me wondering if I would have spent so much time (and $) tube rolling if they were in the first bunch.  :duh: Of coarse I would have...I AM LISTENS2TUBES