6922s for Dummies

Steve

Re: 6922s for Dummies
« Reply #20 on: 19 May 2009, 08:56 pm »
What amp are you using? Tubes sonics are often circuit specific. The JJ 6922's get high marks and will not break the bank.

Possibly, but the problem with those is that there is no assurance that they will not go microphonic within a short time after use.  Jim Mc Shane won't even stand by them for that, and he really goes out of his way to ensure customer satisfaction.

I would seriously look at Amperex/Mullard 6DJ8 with the dimple getters. They tend to be less microphonic and long lasting.  You need to get them from someone who's trustworthy. The guy at tubeworld and vintage tubbe services are both trustworthy (but not cheap).

One other thing to consider is the 7DJ8.  They work in most applications, are generally non-microphonic, and not too expensive. Radio Electric Supply has NOS Valvo 7DJ8's for reasonable money.

Quick question Freo,

Has the microphonic problem been recent? The reason I ask is that I  have not had a problem, even in phono stages, but my fairly large stock are some months old.

Thanks Freo,
Steve

richidoo

« Reply #21 on: 20 May 2009, 02:08 am »
Sovteks are cheap for a reason. But they are reliable and cheap. I think you will hear them wherever you put them.

My fav 6922 is Matsushita from 70s.

haimoc

• Stereo systems
« Reply #22 on: 22 May 2009, 11:34 pm »
Thanks for the 6922 info.

Freo-1

« Reply #23 on: 22 May 2009, 11:58 pm »
What amp are you using? Tubes sonics are often circuit specific. The JJ 6922's get high marks and will not break the bank.

Possibly, but the problem with those is that there is no assurance that they will not go microphonic within a short time after use.  Jim Mc Shane won't even stand by them for that, and he really goes out of his way to ensure customer satisfaction.

I would seriously look at Amperex/Mullard 6DJ8 with the dimple getters. They tend to be less microphonic and long lasting.  You need to get them from someone who's trustworthy. The guy at tubeworld and vintage tubbe services are both trustworthy (but not cheap).

One other thing to consider is the 7DJ8.  They work in most applications, are generally non-microphonic, and not too expensive. Radio Electric Supply has NOS Valvo 7DJ8's for reasonable money.

Quick question Freo,

Has the microphonic problem been recent? The reason I ask is that I  have not had a problem, even in phono stages, but my fairly large stock are some months old.

Thanks Freo,
Steve

Steve,

Yes, the issue is still there. If you have not had any issues, that's good to hear.  A lot of them seem to go noisy after a period of time.

6922 is a pain in behind kind of tube.  One either buys them from a reputable dealer, and pay for their screening, or, buy a bunch for short money and sift through them.

Actually, my best luck has been with Amperex 6DJ8 overall.  I got really lucky once and bought a sleeve of NOS Rogers tubes (Canadian Phillips), which were all quiet. 

The Amperex 6922 is really nice, but it seems like one third of them are microphonic.

valveaudio

• Valve Audio
« Reply #24 on: 21 Aug 2010, 09:37 pm »
Hi Guys,

Late entry here, but a typo on my website  :duh: :duh: has been highlighted by your agonizing over which 6922 would be best. The original Predator had a gain stage / buffer stage combination, while the latest model as sold in the US has in fact two gain stages. The input stage being differential followed by a plate loaded stage. Therefore matching of tubes per stage is important to get best balance and noise cancellation. The two inner tubes are the differential stages and the two outer tubes (closer to the heatsinks) are the driver stages. Get a set with internal triodes matched closely per tube, and matched for gain to a second tube for the differential stage. Then a second set with internal triodes also matched closely per tube, and matched for gain to a second tube  for the driver stage. The differential stage and driver stage need not be matched for gain.

The Amperex Bugle Boy is an excellent choice for warmth, sweetness and good detail, as is the Philips JAN6922, BUT both types tend to be too microphonic. 6N23P's are great sounding and quiet. We prefer to fit the stock 6922EH, as they are ultimately reliable and very quiet, and also repeatable in long term production.

Thanks for using our product :thumb:

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #25 on: 22 Aug 2010, 03:23 pm »
Some people say that the 6922-type tube is not good for audio, and the more tube rolling I do the more I think that's probably not too far from the truth. However, I seem to keep going back to Mullard CV2493 tubes in my line stage. I haven't tried everything, but the revolving door has been through JJs, cryoed EH 6922s, Siemens, Gold Aero, various incarnations of Amperex (7308s, white labels, BBs, Orange Globe A-frames, etc.), Heerlen Valvos, Hamburg A-frame Valvos, and probably a few others not worth mentioning.

The CV2493 is not without its flaws either, but it is one of the more relaxed, sweeter sounding tubes in the 6922 lineup IMO. Perhaps too relaxed for some, maybe a slight 'bump' in the lower mids, rich, deep basses, a slight 'sparkle' in the highs...may or may not work in your particular application.

sunnydaze

« Reply #26 on: 22 Aug 2010, 04:30 pm »
I agree with LZ.  I too have tried many of the heralded and hyped Siemans and Amperex.   I keep returning to the Mullard CV2493 for its liquidity and tone, and sweet musicality.  Can be a lil "pingy" when you use line stage controls, but don't worry about it.

Steve

« Reply #27 on: 23 Aug 2010, 04:07 am »
Some people say that the 6922-type tube is not good for audio, and the more tube rolling I do the more I think that's probably not too far from the truth.

I would have to seriously question those sources to say the least. The JJ is the only brand (but haven't tested every single brand) that I have found that I could design a nearly perfectly transparent, accurate to the source preamplifier (via multiple sophisticated proprietary listening tests). the other brands tested tainted the music.

Also, in measurements I have made, the JJ brand had approximately 18db less harmonic distortion than 6sn7s, 2 volts rms output preamplifier, which is quite an accomplishment. As far as microphonics, that evidently depends upon the layout, because I haven't had any problems. But then isolation, damping techniques may have made the difference. For good engineering, I would also deal with chassis resonance problems as well.

For a reliable source of JJs, I would contact
Tube Depot and ask for low noise and even matched sections for approximately $18.00. The one issue that is a little weak is the noise level vs some NOS.

However, I seem to keep going back to Mullard CV2493 tubes in my line stage. I haven't tried everything, but the revolving door has been through JJs, cryoed EH 6922s, Siemens, Gold Aero, various incarnations of Amperex (7308s, white labels, BBs, Orange Globe A-frames, etc.), Heerlen Valvos, Hamburg A-frame Valvos, and probably a few others not worth mentioning.

See above. Alot depends upon the design and parts used. I would suggest one be careful where one gets information from.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: 7 Sep 2010, 04:31 pm by Steve »

BobM

« Reply #28 on: 23 Aug 2010, 02:08 pm »
I've used a pair of Russian "Rocket" logo tubes in my preamp for a while now. I got them from Upscale Audio, but you can actually pick them up for about 1/4 of the UA price on e-bay (I recently picked up some back-ups). Just make sure they are the true "Rocket" logo on them. The Russian logo's determine the manufacturing plant over in Russia and for some reason the one's with the rocket on them sound best and don't go microphonic as easily. You need to research the Russian tube factory logo's on-line to identify the proper factory name (Voskhod, Kaluga).

http://www.ominous-valve.com/russtube.html

Enjoy
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2010, 04:20 pm by BobM »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #29 on: 23 Aug 2010, 04:11 pm »
I have many 6922 tubes and recently have been using a quad of Gold Lion's with good results.  They are tight and fast with aggressive presentation, if that's your thing.

I also have some of these coming very soon to try:
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?accstube&1285394847&/Siemens-Amperex-6922-7308-6DJ8

Steve

« Reply #30 on: 23 Aug 2010, 05:33 pm »
Point well taken, Steve, but I was simply expressing an opinion...based on what I hear. An even better suggestion would be to hear these tubes first before purchasing, if at all possible.

I understand Larkston, and did not mean you. I know of a few gents on another forum (not AC) who seem to have a vested interest in pushing a certain tube. This seemed quite evident after some of my posts were edited without my permission, and I was accused of cursing which I was not.

Cheers.

richidoo

« Reply #31 on: 23 Aug 2010, 08:16 pm »
Good advice on the JJs, Steve. They make some fine signal level tubes, but they can become noisy too soon. That's why it's important to buy from a good seller, I too use Tube Depot for those.

I used 6922s in a Cary integrated for a while, but I didn't really appreciate 6922 until I heard it all alone in Steve's 11A preamp a couple years ago, still one of the best preamps I've ever heard. 6922 is high current and can be a very musical beautiful sounding tube. My fav is Matsushita 1970s.

Sound quality is as much circuit design as it is tube choice. So certainly there are some bad sounding 6922 circuits out there.

valveaudio

• Valve Audio
« Reply #32 on: 23 Aug 2010, 09:24 pm »
Some clarification about our stance on the EH 6922, given the positive remarks and rightly so about other brands mentioned here. We however manufacture a couple of hundred units per year, so we have to use something which is readily available, and likely so for years to come. We need to know that repeatability of our sonic trait is a given to our many customers. True, there are many superior sounding tubes out there, but when you're hunting down the required numbers required for production it becomes increasingly difficult. We like to think that our product allows for the end user to roll tubes to his heart's content until satisfied. I myself use stock tubes simply for the reason that a customer doing an audition gets to hear the end product without being misled with NOS tubes of some sorts which we cannot supply anyway. By all means, we encourage folks to try different tubes as this is what this hobby is all about anyway, else we'd stick to solid state anyway, right? :thumb:

Steve

« Reply #33 on: 23 Aug 2010, 10:23 pm »
Some clarification about our stance on the EH 6922, given the positive remarks and rightly so about other brands mentioned here. We however manufacture a couple of hundred units per year, so we have to use something which is readily available, and likely so for years to come. We need to know that repeatability of our sonic trait is a given to our many customers. True, there are many superior sounding tubes out there, but when you're hunting down the required numbers required for production it becomes increasingly difficult. We like to think that our product allows for the end user to roll tubes to his heart's content until satisfied. I myself use stock tubes simply for the reason that a customer doing an audition gets to hear the end product without being misled with NOS tubes of some sorts which we cannot supply anyway. By all means, we encourage folks to try different tubes as this is what this hobby is all about anyway, else we'd stick to solid state anyway, right? :thumb:

Just to note, I mean no disrespect to you or your products.  :)

valveaudio

• Valve Audio
« Reply #34 on: 23 Aug 2010, 10:36 pm »
Note taken in good spirit :lol:

We have a barbeque down South, then we go listen to some rare tubes in the aftermath..

bunky

« Reply #35 on: 23 Aug 2010, 10:38 pm »
Steve knows his way around a 6922 circuit better than anyone i know and he is a very nice guy too. i liked Amperex 7308's and Siemens E88CC's in my linestages. i am running a pair of 6DJ8 Bugle boys from Andy @ Vintage Tube Services in my Canary Audio CD200.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #36 on: 23 Aug 2010, 11:58 pm »
I have many 6922 tubes and recently have been using a quad of Gold Lion's with good results.  They are tight and fast with aggressive presentation, if that's your thing.

Anyone want an unused matched quad of these?  I've decided to sell my 6DJ8 based preamps and never did get around to trying these.

Edit:  Quad is sold
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2010, 11:32 pm by Ericus Rex »

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #37 on: 24 Aug 2010, 05:12 pm »
I also have some of these coming very soon to try:
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?accstube&1285394847&/Siemens-Amperex-6922-7308-6DJ8

Thanks for the link, Pete.

I got me a few pairs coming too. :thumb:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #38 on: 24 Aug 2010, 05:32 pm »
Thanks for the link, Pete.

I got me a few pairs coming too. :thumb:

Put the first hour on them last night.  Hard to put my finger on the sound, but it certainly got my attention.  They seem laid back but extremely smooth in the delivery.  Of course with one hour I can't make any predictions but I think they will be less edgy than the GL's and if smooth is your game these could e the ticket.  I'm tempted to just let the system run for 24 hours per day to put some time on them.

I do love my Gold Lions though.  Much more punch than an Amperex or telefunken.

Steve

« Reply #39 on: 25 Aug 2010, 12:46 pm »

Sound quality is as much circuit design as it is tube choice. So certainly there are some bad sounding 6922 circuits out there.

I agree that design/parts etc do make a difference. Back when, I found alot of brands that just did not sound totally transparent when optimized. I was honestly shocked that so many NOS did not cut it.

Cheers and hope all is going well Rich.
« Last Edit: 1 Sep 2010, 05:16 am by Steve »