Havana DAC into a Firstwatt F5 Clone

Jon L

Re: Havana DAC into a Firstwatt F5 Clone
« Reply #20 on: 5 Mar 2009, 05:38 pm »
I would only consider a preamp in your case if your system needed extra "kick" and drive in the bass, in which case Pass B-1 buffered preamp may be added to your list. 

I just received a B-1 the other day to use between my MW Transporter and my Spectron amp.  It definitely seems to add more kick and so far I'm happy with it.  I have a pair of EVS Ultimate Attenuators that you could use in your particular situation, though they're not remote-controlled if thats an issue. 

Hey, I love my EVS ultimate attenuators, especially positioned right on the input of my tube amps with high input impedance.

Does B-1 sound just as transparent as EVS while adding extra "kick"??  Hard to imagine that looking at the large coupling caps required inside the B-1 and extra interconnects, etc. 

ebag4

« Reply #21 on: 5 Mar 2009, 05:57 pm »
Also, since the output of your DAC is analog, then you do have an analog source. You are more in the analog domain than you care to think.

Of course this is correct, I should have said "another source".

It's gonna be hard to find a transparent line stage for under a grand.

Yes, and justifying this for the minimal amount of improvement I will recieve is what I am wrestling with.

Best,
Ed

jrebman

« Reply #22 on: 5 Mar 2009, 06:26 pm »
Ed,

I found that my Havana directly into the Carina was really nice, and that's the same 800 ohms into 100k as your setup, but I've got another Minimax preamp on the way -- should arrive today, in fact, so when I get my Carina back, I can let you know how that works out.

I actually got the preamp because I want to build a modified version of Poindexter's Musical Machine using 6sn7s as drivers and I will need a preamp for that setup.  Not replacing the Carina, btw, just want a low power, super sweet PP amp to try with the various speakers I have.

-- Jim

IronLion

« Reply #23 on: 5 Mar 2009, 06:53 pm »
Jon L, I do find the B-1 to be at least as transparent as the EVS UA's to my ear, but this is probably because its helping what I would imagine to be at least a slight impedance mismatch between my MW Transporter and the input of my Spectron amp.  The B-1 certainly increased dynamic contrasts and really tightened up bass lines noticeably so I feel as though I'm seeing the signal, in my particular setup, more clearly than with the EVS now that the amp sees a low impedance at its input.  Everything is there exactly as I would want it- highs, mids, and lows.   

ebag4

« Reply #24 on: 5 Mar 2009, 07:04 pm »
Ed,

I found that my Havana directly into the Carina was really nice, and that's the same 800 ohms into 100k as your setup, but I've got another Minimax preamp on the way -- should arrive today, in fact, so when I get my Carina back, I can let you know how that works out.

I actually got the preamp because I want to build a modified version of Poindexter's Musical Machine using 6sn7s as drivers and I will need a preamp for that setup.  Not replacing the Carina, btw, just want a low power, super sweet PP amp to try with the various speakers I have.

-- Jim

Hi Jim,
I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the Havana.  The Havana into the F5 clone sounds really good.  Of course the never ending quest to improve the sound has me investigating other potential improvements.  It may be time for me to start playing around with more efficient single driver solutions again , but that's a topic for another thread.

Best,
Ed

jrebman

« Reply #25 on: 5 Mar 2009, 07:15 pm »
Ed,

Agreed, it's for another thread, but I'll just say that I'm doing a total makeover of my Horns and I will be glad to share my before and after results with you.

Have you considered a simple, one-in, one-out aikido?

-- Jim

ebag4

« Reply #26 on: 5 Mar 2009, 07:20 pm »
Ed,

Agreed, it's for another thread, but I'll just say that I'm doing a total makeover of my Horns and I will be glad to share my before and after results with you.

Have you considered a simple, one-in, one-out aikido?

-- Jim

No, not specifcally.  Do you believe it would maintain the clarity and focus I am getting now without adding self noise?  If so I would be interested in hearing more.  This is a DIY type project, correct?

BTW, I am anxious to hear your observations on the horns.  I told my wife that I would regret selling my pair, and I do.

Best,
Ed

Quiet Earth

« Reply #27 on: 6 Mar 2009, 01:35 am »
Ed,
I admire your dedication toward supreme minimalism.  :thumb:

donunus

« Reply #28 on: 21 Jun 2009, 03:36 am »
For anyone confused about ASIO and the havana. Forget using asio and download WASAPI instead. Works like a charm

jrebman

« Reply #29 on: 21 Jun 2009, 06:20 pm »
If you're running Vista or Win 7 you mean, correct?