Dead silent dedicated Linux music server for USB DAC's.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Dead silent dedicated Linux music server for USB DAC's.
« Reply #400 on: 18 Mar 2011, 05:03 pm »
So here is where I’m at presently (note:  I have little idea what I’m really talking about, but am dangerously knowledgeable now thanks to TomS and Mgalusha, who are invaluable; they are getting back to me on the below issues but thought I’d post regardless):

Success areas:
Built Alix, installed Mike’s pre-config’d CF card, installed PUTTY and WinSCP, put Alix on network, reserved IP addresses for Alix and MAIN (Windows vista pc that houses internal P drive that I networked and attempted to point Alix to), created user accounts and passwords for mpduser on Alix and MAIN, edited FSTAB and MPD config files (and thus learned how to mountrw and shutdown –r now in PUTTY), and installed Minion as player, with Alix config’d as server within Minion setup.  Networked drive on MAIN is called P:MyMusic but share name is MYMPDMusic.  Subfolders of relevance are a blank folder called mpd (write access) and a large FLAC-filled folder called losslessmusic (read access) underneath MyMPDMusic.

Failed areas:
Minion will not connect, attempts for a few seconds, then says “server not selected, not connected”.

Important data:
Alix IP address (192.168.0.188)
MAIN IP address (192.168.0.197)

FSTAB:
 #/dev/hda1       /       ext2    defaults,noatime,rw     0       0
proc            /proc   proc    defaults                0       0
tmpfs          /tmp    tmpfs    nosuid,nodev          0       0
#tmpfs           /rw     tmpfs   defaults,size=32M        0       0
//192.168.0.197/MyMPDMusic /mnt/tunes smbfs user=mpduser,pass=mpduser,uid=103,gid=29 0 0

MPD.config settings (condensed):
music_directory             "/mnt/tunes"
playlist_directory             "/mnt/tunes/mpd/playlists"
db_file                "/mnt/tunes/mpd/tag_cache"
log_file                        "/mnt/tunes/mpd/mpd.log"
pid_file                        "/mnt/tunes/mpd/pid"
state_file                        "/mnt/tunes/mpd/state"
user                "mpduser"
bind_to_address             "any"

and the various hardware settings (I have no USB DAC connected right now, just hoping to see folders in Minion frankly).

I am surprised that Minion shows me nothing.  I realize I probably have not given Alix the correct network path to my music folder but assume Minion/Alix would scream back at me some sort of error codes or something….Nothin!

EDIT:  I changed the FSTAB to look for MyMusic (drive name) rather than the network name of MyMPDMusic and now Minion no longer says “server not selected”! :) It does still say “not connected” though.  :(

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #401 on: 19 Mar 2011, 02:30 pm »
Well, Minion is saying "server not selected" again, so the change I made above (changing share name to drive name) was coincidental.  Something else happened.  Dunno.  This is getting old for me, as I'm shooting blindly.  I was warned. 

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #402 on: 19 Mar 2011, 02:47 pm »
Well, Minion is saying "server not selected" again, so the change I made above (changing share name to drive name) was coincidental.  Something else happened.  Dunno.  This is getting old for me, as I'm shooting blindly.  I was warned.

What's the user name you created on the Alix?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #403 on: 19 Mar 2011, 02:52 pm »
mpduser is one of them (I did my own name first as a test but went with mpduser cuz it's the same as a user account on my Vista machine).  Password is also mpduser.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #404 on: 19 Mar 2011, 02:54 pm »
mpduser is one of them (I did my own name first as a test but went with mpduser cuz it's the same as a user account on my Vista machine).  Password is also mpduser.

Does the IP address and port in Minion match the ones specified in the Alix's mpd.conf?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #405 on: 19 Mar 2011, 03:05 pm »
Does the IP address and port in Minion match the ones specified in the Alix's mpd.conf?

the port does (6600) but I can't find any mention of the IP address (192.168.0.188) in mpd.config, other than it is listed in the parent root name (i.e it's how i got there with WinSCP).

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #406 on: 19 Mar 2011, 03:08 pm »
This one area has been bugging me:  these IP addresses are all visible to the router, but when I go in my Vista network settings I only see a couple other pc's and my router...I don't see all the Tivo addresses, the Alix, etc.  Is it possible I need to reconfigure my home network?

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #407 on: 19 Mar 2011, 03:10 pm »
This one area has been bugging me:  these IP addresses are all visible to the router, but when I go in my Vista network settings I only see a couple other pc's and my router...I don't see all the Tivo addresses, the Alix, etc.  Is it possible I need to reconfigure my home network?

Maybe. If your Vista can't see the ALix, then it can't connect to it to control it.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #408 on: 22 Mar 2011, 04:17 am »
I am the newest Alix user!  Yes!  After an hour or so on the phone with Mike Galusha, and some more troubleshooting via email tonight, I am up and running.  A few of our issues had to do with permissions on Vista, once we made sure Alix and Vista could see each other.  My network concern turned out to be moot (Vista network maps really only show Windows-readable stuff, but actually see everything as per the router).  The remaining issue was an fstab edit that included using the uid and gid.

I have no real USB DAC that will talk to Linux (M2Tech Young says no), so I am testing with a couple portable USB headphone DACS I own (Meier-Audio Corda, MAudio Transit).  Once the Antelope Zodiac arrives I'll do a major shootout against my MAcbook based music server.   

Thanks again to Mike, TomS and Nick.  This should be fun.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #409 on: 22 Mar 2011, 04:28 am »
So, what is a good plug-n-play power supply upgrade for the Alix (I'm not a DIY guy)?  It's 12-15v, less than .5A, right?  TomS pointed me to one but it's $250 plus shipping from HK.  Thx

helian

« Reply #410 on: 22 Mar 2011, 11:22 am »
 Hi,

are someone here using the KingRex UC192 ? Does it works with Linux ? If yes, what samplerates does it support ?

Thanks

-helian

TomS

« Reply #411 on: 22 Mar 2011, 12:12 pm »
So, what is a good plug-n-play power supply upgrade for the Alix (I'm not a DIY guy)?  It's 12-15v, less than .5A, right?  TomS pointed me to one but it's $250 plus shipping from HK.  Thx
The KECES is plug and play with their cable provided.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #412 on: 22 Mar 2011, 02:04 pm »
The KECES is plug and play with their cable provided.

Bring yours when the Antelope arrives.  I could use an extra pair of ears for this shootout.  :) ....assuming you're done laying wood floors and hanging cabinets.   :o

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #413 on: 22 Mar 2011, 11:23 pm »
Hi,

are someone here using the KingRex UC192 ? Does it works with Linux ? If yes, what samplerates does it support ?

Doing a quick Google search, seems as if it needs proprietary drivers and the only one's available are Windows and Mac. In essence, device is not USB Audio Class 1 or 2 compliant.

Any UAC1 or UAC2 device will work with the Alix and Voyage MPD.

Edit: I'm not sure if this is really UAC2 compliant or not. Some reviews mention "proprietary drivers" and others mention "plug 'n play in Mac". Best to contact the manufacturer.

jrebman

« Reply #414 on: 23 Mar 2011, 01:29 am »
Ted,

Congrats on getting the alix working.  Ill be looking forward to how it compares to the MBP setup.

Sincerely hope to get to my alix board this weekend but things keep interfering -- like my favorite amp showing signs of an old problem that is driving me nuts, especially since i just sold my second favorite amps.

-- Jim

JDUBS

« Reply #415 on: 23 Mar 2011, 02:38 am »

There's a bunch of linears on ebay...just add a cable with appropriate barrel connector....which I'm pretty sure  doesn't even count as diy.

-Jim

helian

« Reply #416 on: 23 Mar 2011, 11:24 am »
nyc_paramedic,

thanks, I've contacted the manufacturer and there's no official support for linux. But, since it's plug'n play in Mac it should work fine in Linux. Probably I'm gonna buy one anyway, if it works I will let you guys know.

Ferrum

« Reply #417 on: 23 Mar 2011, 11:31 am »
I'm another new user of the Alix solution.

A brief background is needed. I've been doing HIFI for many, many years but had lost the spark for a year but wanted to come back some time ago. I wanted to go into computer based audio but wanted to avoid Microsoft if I could so I took a chance with Ubuntu and a Lavry DA11. Since I know next to nothing about computers this was a bit of a journey. No real problems but for the solution wouldn't play 24/96 files. With my limited knowledge I could fix it. So I asked Nick and in a moment of weakness he said that he could help me with the Alix :o

No time to waste so I ordered and then Nick have spent many pints worth of hours setting it up. I do like to says a very big THANK YOU for your time and efforts.

Now it runs smoothly and sounds absolutely fantastic  :D :D

Since this thread have so few pictures I thought I could offer some change to that.

I have a small dedicated room in the basement for my system and it looks like this.

First the computer with Alix and the Lavry DA11

Speakers are active so no preamp and power amps.

Michael

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #418 on: 23 Mar 2011, 05:43 pm »

Ted,

You could also give 8 AA Lithium cells a try. Makes for an interesting listen. 8 AA battery holder and coaxial plug available from radio shack.

I once got over 5 hours play time (decoding FLAC) before I got too tired and went to bed.

Link:

8 AA holder, SKU 270-387: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062242

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #419 on: 23 Mar 2011, 06:08 pm »
Nick,
Thanks.  I am so bad at recharging though; years ago I even had Vinnie (red wine) redo my Squeezebox ps he made me when I kept sending it back for new batteries cuz I would mess up.  Finally had him make it ac.  :)

I am rethinking and restating my issue.  I have no pushback on spending $250-350 for a good linear PS....but only when I have determined that Alix is my new long-term (whatever that means these days) server solution.  Those shootouts and a/b comparisons are a couple weeks down the road.  In the meantime i was hoping for something I could put together that would at least allow the Alix a fair fight in these comparisons.  So..maybe rechargeable lithium is the right choice right now....hmmmm.

Edit:  oops, lithium isn't recharegable.  $18 for every 5 hours will add up... :(