6" Alnico -vs- 8" XRS

Doody

• Troublemaker
6" Alnico -vs- 8" XRS
« on: 24 Oct 2022, 12:10 am »
Greetings all!

I have had a pair of CAMs for years that I love quite a bit.

I drive them with flea-level power.

We moved a while back, and the volume of my new room is 3x maybe 4x the old room. I find myself pushing the amplification too hard now and then. I'm asking a lot of the little fleas.

I was looking into the Super 8 XRS instead since it's a more efficient driver - 98db sensitivity vs. 94.5db on the CAM.

Wondering if anybody here has made the move from the alnico to the ferrite magnets and what they thought of the change in sound.

Any feedback appreciated!

Thx
Doody

RDavidson

Re: 6" Alnico -vs- 8" XRS
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2022, 07:03 pm »
I’m a long time CAM owner as well. Like you, I’ve been very curious about the 8XRS. Note, I’ve had the 3XRS and the 3HO wide baffle monitors in the past. I really like the little RS5 driver a lot. The description of the RS8 being like a larger RS5 seems like a real winner to me. It’ll sound different than the 6” Alnico, no doubt. If I were to guess, it likely sounds more exciting and dynamic than the 6” Alnico.

My suggestion is that you order a pair (like the ones that recently sold in the beautiful Claro Walnut on the Omega website), have them delivered to my house, and I will report my findings back here for you. Of course, they will need to stay in my home/system indefinitely for ongoing evaluation and re-evaluation. I can do this free of charge. :lol:

Doody

• Troublemaker
« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2022, 02:02 am »
You are truly a generous gentleman, RD.

:D

Appreciate the info regardless :-)

Doody

Kray

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2022, 04:13 pm »
Hi @doody

Did you ever go further down this path? I'm curious as to Alnico vs RS8 driver comparisons too.

Louis seems to really like his new'ish RS8 driver.

seikosha

« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2022, 05:29 pm »
I know I’ve posted comparisons in the past.  I’ve got RS5’s,  8xrs and the SAM’s.  Quick comments.  The SAM’s have a lovely tone about them that the 8’s and rs5 don’t have.  The bass on the SAM’s is, for lack of a better word, kind of tubby sounding…in a good way.  I think the bass on the 8’s does go just a tad bit lower, but the fatter sounding bass on the SAM will make it sound initially like it goes just as low as the 8’s.

I suspect that frequency response of the 8’s are flatter than the SAM’s, but it’s just a subjective opinion.  Some will like the slightly “U” sounding curve of the SAM’s and some may prefer the 8’s.  Neither one is better than the other.  The 8’s to me definitely sound like a big brother to the RS5.  Also, the Alnico in another cabinet will undoubtedly sound different than it does in the SAM. 

Kray

« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2022, 06:50 pm »
I know I’ve posted comparisons in the past.  I’ve got RS5’s,  8xrs and the SAM’s.  Quick comments.  The SAM’s have a lovely tone about them that the 8’s and rs5 don’t have.  The bass on the SAM’s is, for lack of a better word, kind of tubby sounding…in a good way.  I think the bass on the 8’s does go just a tad bit lower, but the fatter sounding bass on the SAM will make it sound initially like it goes just as low as the 8’s.

I suspect that frequency response of the 8’s are flatter than the SAM’s, but it’s just a subjective opinion.  Some will like the slightly “U” sounding curve of the SAM’s and some may prefer the 8’s.  Neither one is better than the other.  The 8’s to me definitely sound like a big brother to the RS5.  Also, the Alnico in another cabinet will undoubtedly sound different than it does in the SAM.

great reply.. I started years ago with CAMs, moved on to Super 6 XRS alnico... which I loved, then years later, had the more unique Vintage 8 HO (in the JBL style cabinet)... then just thought of changing things up. Ended up with the newer Zu Union 6 Supremes, which are an amazing speaker and really enjoy. I also ended up with a pair of CAMs too just since I missed the Omega sound sometimes.

I'm now contemplating upgrading my CAMs to SAMs or the Super 8 Monitor.

fullmoondog

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jan 2023, 07:02 pm »
Does anyone know if either of these Omega speakers can be purchased as drivers only - i.e. - no box?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jan 2023, 10:27 pm »
Currently no more available as raw speakers.
I was lucky enough to buy a 7A now named 6xrs.
Great Alnico sound, perfect Qts to fit Frugal Horn.
The hemp paper cone factory gone,
so those rich harmonics no longer.
OMEGA 7A SPECS         
Re - 7.2 ohm   
Fs - 43.585 Hz         
Sd - 134.782cm2      
Md - 2 grams
BL - 4.971T-M
Qms - 2.030            
Qes - 0.430
Qts - 0.355
No - 1.186%
SPL - 93dB
VAS - 63.770Liters
Cms - 2.47 2m M/N
Krm - 242.164 ohm
Erm - 0.979
Mms - 5.394 grams
Mmd - 4.494 grams
Kxm - 20.332 mH
Ekm - 0.585
WOOD HOLE 14,9cm

« Last Edit: 9 Jan 2023, 03:09 am by FullRangeMan »

fullmoondog

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2023, 12:00 am »
Thanks for the info. I will scour Audio Circle to see if I can find similar high sensitivity paper/pulp based cones.