Jim's pics RM-V60 Music Wing

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
Re: Jim's pics RM-V60 Music Wing
« Reply #60 on: 20 Dec 2006, 04:37 pm »
I don't like large reflective objects between the speakers, so I would place the VLA outboard of the main columns.

jgubman

« Reply #61 on: 21 Dec 2006, 12:03 am »
John,

what's the difference btwn the VSS and the Larger w/ MegaWoofer upgrade?

Only differences I can see are:
VSS has a "heavier" (thicker sheets of mdf?) cabinet
Larger has an additional 12" woofer

I *must* be missing something.

John Casler

« Reply #62 on: 21 Dec 2006, 12:13 am »
John,

what's the difference btwn the VSS and the Larger w/ MegaWoofer upgrade?

Only differences I can see are:
VSS has a "heavier" (thicker sheets of mdf?) cabinet
Larger has an additional 12" woofer

I *must* be missing something.

Yep Sir!!

The big difference is the new In House, 15" MegaWoofer, that at this point is only used in the VSS.  If you check through some of the old posts, Brian mentioned this new driver and a bit of its performance.

Also the cabinets are made bi MLS, and they are available in the same veneers as the mains (finally) :thumb:

It is one serious WOOF! aa

John Casler

« Reply #63 on: 21 Dec 2006, 12:22 am »
For some tidbits on the woofer start reading here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=34371.20

Read two pages to get most of it.

jgubman

« Reply #64 on: 21 Dec 2006, 12:40 am »
Gotcha, thanks.

A lot to process lately.

The powered VSS (Very Solid Sub) is zero dB down at 20Hz and will reproduce subsonics (-10dB/14Hz nearfield). 

The Larger is advertised w/ similar measurements (-3db @17hz), is the main difference THD and max output?

Canyoneagle

« Reply #65 on: 21 Dec 2006, 12:53 am »
Those speakers are STUNNING!
I would love the opportunity to hear them sometime.

I'm a single driver convert  :D, but I can appreciate functional beaty when I see it!

Congratulations!

Warmly, Michael

Berndt

« Reply #66 on: 21 Dec 2006, 01:48 am »
[

I thought that was a cam degreeing wheel for a second

Scubadaddy123

« Reply #67 on: 21 Dec 2006, 04:23 pm »
Brian,
My name is Steven Doron....aka:Scubadaddy123 both here and on AudiogoN.  I've had several hundred hours listening to a friend's (Luke on AudiogoN) RM-40s speakers over the past few years.  He and I have experiments with several front ends (CD players...Tranport/DAC combos), usually always through a SF Line 3SE and either big tube or SS monoblocks...we even bi-amped them with a Conrad Johnson EL-34 tube amp on the top end).  In addition, we've also experimented with various driver and output tubes (fav's being Telefunken CCa drivers and old Telefunken EL-34s....) in both the tubed DACs/tubed CD players....and in the Line 3SE....and obviously the tube amps.  But what never ceases to amaze me through our critical listening is the transparency of the ribbons used in the RM-40.  Luke has the upgraded caps and ribbons....and we've also heard several other pairs of speakers (both dynamic, electrostats, and ribbons) over the years using this system as a reference....and the bottom line is.....the RM-40s stand up to anything I've heard.  They were/are simply amazing.

side note:....I met Mark (founder of Audio Alchemy) at the 2001 Home Theater Show in San Fransisco with a friend of mine...Walter Liederman (another quality person in the audio industry).  Mark was very gracious and took time during his business meeting w/Walter to not only talk about his products and what he was doing, but inquired about my background as an audiophile.  We talked about the evolution of high end audio.....a very interesting conversation, obviously.  But what struck me about Mark is.....he actually cares about audiophiles and the opinions of true audiophiles....not just making a buck.......which IS the whole reason we have this hobby/industry in the first place....

Anyway...bottom line is...the cabinets for the RM-60s are probably being produced for Brian by Mark (am I right?).....in any event.....my point is.....I will end up getting these speakers for many reason (most of which is the sound I'm sure they produce if the RM-40s are a good guideline)....but one of the main reasons I'll get a pair is because I like supporting those who actually care about things like customer satisfaction....and quality of sound.  Mark I know does...and from what I know of Brian....he does also.  I'm looking forward to hearing just how good the RM-60s sound!!!!!!  They look incredible, and if they sound as good as they look, I'M IN!~!!!!!  Great Job Guys!!!!

Scubadaddy123 in Texas!!!!!  (and sometimes just south of Kona!  Walter Rocks!!!)

make

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #68 on: 21 Dec 2006, 05:26 pm »
Mark Shifter's Sound Art factory in Guangdong has made our cabinets for over two years now.  And yes, he does care quite a bit about his customers and audiophiles in general.

You should see the RM 40 in piano rosewood or macassar ebony from Mark, you'd flip!

John Casler

« Reply #69 on: 21 Dec 2006, 05:36 pm »
Steve,

Welcome to the VMPS Circle and thanks for the comments.

Hope you find our community here nice and cozy. :green:

warnerwh

« Reply #70 on: 22 Dec 2006, 06:38 am »
Yes welcome Scubadaddy :thumb: We hope you enjoy it here.

I agree, the RM 40's are pretty special. You get them set up well and I can't imagine them being embarrased by anything made.  They're good enough to live with the rest of your life.

The V60 however has some seriously nice qualities. It's no doubt an outstanding sounding speaker but is unusually beautiful to look at too.