World Cup 2014

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: World Cup 2014
« Reply #60 on: 2 Jul 2014, 01:03 am »
I think Lionel Messi is the best soccer player in the world. Not only that, but he's a humble player to boot.

I think it's Argentina's to lose..

SoCalWJS

« Reply #61 on: 2 Jul 2014, 01:37 am »
It's a mixed bag to me. The US Team was clearly shown up today. If not for the Performance of Howard in Goal, it could have been ugly.

On the other hand, we survived the "Group of Death" which I did not think was going to happen. Doing it w/o Jozy was borderline miraculous.

Kudos to the USA Team  :thumb: and hope that this result further "grows the Game" here. I'm not a huge Soccer fan, but I do get into the World Cup and some of the major games of the European Leagues.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #62 on: 2 Jul 2014, 02:17 am »
Regarding the USA Team...

Before the Games started, would you have bet that the US would make it farther than Spain?
They did. That's the kind of thing that matters. Congrats USA!  :beer:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #63 on: 2 Jul 2014, 02:52 am »
That's right, Jerry. Before play commenced and the speculation about the Groups was raging, all of what I read had the US in the toughest Group of all --- the so called Group of Death. But for a lapse in the final seconds of play against Portugal, they would have won first place in that Group handily.

Not only did they outlast Spain but Italy, England and Portugal as well. We are definitely a threatening presence these days.

jackman

« Reply #64 on: 2 Jul 2014, 03:03 am »
How is the Favella comment rude and insensitive?  The word literally means slum. Favellas are violent slums ruled by drug lords. Is there a nicer more "sensitive"  or more PC description?

Anyway, I was just pissed at the US team's performance. Thank God they had a great goalie or this tournament would have been ugly.  As ugly as a Favella in rainy season.

Also, the US won ONE measly game...against Ghana, by one goal. Big deal. Any good team would have beat them. They had a lucky run and soccer is still a fourth or fifth tier sport in the USA. Maybe we should have a ping pong thread or celebrate our badminton success next.

Cheers

Jack

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #65 on: 2 Jul 2014, 03:13 am »
Keep digging ..........

jackman

« Reply #66 on: 2 Jul 2014, 03:24 am »
Keep digging ..........

Which good team did the US beat?  They got some great goaltending and played some good teams close, but still lost.  They couldn't even beat a depleted Argentina team when they had the lead. Are we supposed to pretend they won?

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #67 on: 2 Jul 2014, 03:38 am »
The offensive side has seemed to be a historical weakness of the USA national team for decades.  If / when there is a striker of world quality a la Messi / Neymeyer / even Suarez, then the US team will be a real contender.  They didn't seem to understand w/ this match and too many other world matches that you can't win by holding back & defending.  I hope though they don't resort to the coward strategy of Italy / Greece etc of always defending and doing nothing, then try to win at the last minute w/ the counter attack.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #68 on: 2 Jul 2014, 03:42 am »
Which good team did the US beat?  They got some great goaltending and played some good teams close, but still lost.  They couldn't even beat a depleted Argentina team when they had the lead. Are we supposed to pretend they won?

Jeez, Jack, try to keep your eye on the ball...

No, we are not supposed to pretend they won. We might, however, recognize that they made it farther, or just as far, as many of the best teams in the world.

Also, please check your typo. USA did not play Argentina.

Clearly, our mileage varies. But there are whole countries having big parties just because their team made it into tne Tournament. Try enjoying.  :thumb:

jackman

« Reply #69 on: 2 Jul 2014, 03:49 am »
Sorry Jerry, I meant Portugal. They tied A depleted Portugal team. It was too frustrating watching a team with no offense waste such heroic goaltending. Anyway, I wish I had everyone's positive attitude.

Go Colunbia

charmerci

« Reply #70 on: 2 Jul 2014, 05:18 am »
Because of work commitments, I was able to watch a bit of the first half and some of the second half.

What I noticed was that the Belgians were faster, quicker with more energy - being a young team - but just weren't working well together when it often counted due to inexperience and that the US worked a little better as a team with more experience which kept them in it.

But it was clear that they had much more talent than the Americans. The US is and probably will be a good team for a long time but they're not anywhere near being at the top.

shahed

« Reply #71 on: 2 Jul 2014, 05:25 am »
I'm very happy to see the support and interest US soccer team has gotten from this world cup. If this continues US soccer has a bright future.

Cacophonix

« Reply #72 on: 2 Jul 2014, 03:05 pm »
I hope though they don't resort to the coward strategy of Italy / Greece etc of always defending and doing nothing, then try to win at the last minute w/ the counter attack.

They almost succeeded yesterday though!  :icon_twisted:
Oh the amount of curses i heard yesterday at that moment  :o  :o  :lol: :lol:

chip

« Reply #73 on: 2 Jul 2014, 06:59 pm »
I think part of the problem was coaching and not taking bradley out in any of the games. He made so many small errors and the biggest in the portugal game  :scratch: I would have taken him out just to test someone else's skills.

Mudslide

« Reply #74 on: 2 Jul 2014, 07:59 pm »
I, too, am glad to see the excitement about American soccer.  I hope it spurs more participation in the sport.

The problems with the current U.S. WC team? ... As I see it, and in order...

*  The 4-5-1 strategy has, is, and always will offer few chances at goal AND make the other team appear to have superior personnel.  It's a goofy attack (?) that limits plays.
*  The coach made some bad and belated decisions regarding personnel and ... well ... strategy.
*  THE key player in the 4-5-1 alignment, Michael Bradley REALLY wasn't into the games.  He was very disinterested and his lazy passing cost the team.
*  Injuries to key personnel.

The team will do better next campaign and should have younger, more talented players...except maybe in goal.

putz

« Reply #75 on: 2 Jul 2014, 08:04 pm »
I was disappointed in Bradley's overall play but we don't have another player like him to sub in.

Not to make excuses but here goes anyway. When Portugal got the late tie, the US had to go all out vs. Germany in the Jungle. Belgium rested a lot of their players and played in pleasant weather in their 3rd game. US had a ridiculous travel schedule compared to all the other teams in the tournament and with the short turnaround, that took it's toll on their fitness. The US always play with less possession than their quality opponents. They don't have the same ball skills as the rest of the world does where all their best athletes have had a ball attached to their foot since birth and development teams that emphasize skill over winning. Belgium brought on Lukaku who's a beast. We brought on Wondo. What if we had an athlete like Lebron to bring on as a striker? Don't know if we'll ever have that luxury as long as other sports pick off our best athletes

I watched both games yesterday and Argentina/Swiss game was a bore until the last 5 minutes. 3 players in that game were worth watching (Messi, DiMaria and Shakiri). The US played 4 games that were exciting, action packed, tension filled battles that were nail biters to the last minute. Would have been nice to have kept going but we couldn't have asked for more from our boys. Plus we have the best chant in the world.

Mudslide

« Reply #76 on: 2 Jul 2014, 08:54 pm »
Here's a good read on Bradley and the team's performance in general.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/07/02/failed-experiment-michael-bradley-attacking-midfielder/

RDavidson

« Reply #77 on: 2 Jul 2014, 09:18 pm »
The US always play with less possession than their quality opponents. They don't have the same ball skills as the rest of the world does where all their best athletes have had a ball attached to their foot since birth and development teams that emphasize skill over winning. Belgium brought on Lukaku who's a beast. We brought on Wondo. What if we had an athlete like Lebron to bring on as a striker? Don't know if we'll ever have that luxury as long as other sports pick off our best athletes

You hit the nail on the head. With less skilled players and overall lower level of competition (compared to other countries) the US will also have a limited strategic repertoire exposed in the WC. I think this will improve with time, especially as the dangers of American football scares parents and kids away. That America showed such great support during this WC is just another arrow pointing in this direction.

mjosef

Bye Bye Brazeel
« Reply #78 on: 9 Jul 2014, 01:03 am »

BAM! 7-1
Take that Brazil...next up Messi & Co. History in the making, first time two European teams in the finals in the  Americas.  :thumb:

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #79 on: 9 Jul 2014, 01:33 am »
What a national disaster & disgrace - and as host no less.  I can't imagine what's going on in Brazil now. 

I'd have to concur that it's likely to be Holland & Germany in the final : with Germany being the victor.  Folks will get the Brazil - Argentina game they wanted though : just that it will be for 3rd place.