World Cup 2014

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: World Cup 2014
« Reply #80 on: 9 Jul 2014, 01:48 am »
Yes, that was an ass-beating. In Americsn football, that score would be 70-10.

The game tomorrow is much bigger now. The pressure is on.

I hope the officiating stays neutral and even.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #81 on: 9 Jul 2014, 02:27 am »
Jerry - I think it would be 49-7.

As an aside, I heard an announcer remark several times that the trouncing this afternoon is the first time Brazil has been beaten at home in a competitive game since 1975.

And I'm not so sure about the Netherlands beating Argentina.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #82 on: 9 Jul 2014, 03:07 am »
Jerry - I think it would be 49-7.
Yep, a definite ass-beating.

And I'm not so sure about the Netherlands beating Argentina.
You and me both.  :beer:

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #83 on: 9 Jul 2014, 03:22 am »
Nothing would make me happier than to see Argentina beat Netherlands - I'm just concerned that they are a one man show w/ Messi.  Hopefully I will be proven wrong. 

Art_Chicago

« Reply #84 on: 9 Jul 2014, 04:36 am »
my guess is that argentina is gonna play catenaccioo against the dutch and  germans and take both games 1:0 or by PK, but on the other hand I'd love to see Holland beating Germany in the final for the FIRST TIME!
this world cup is the most exciting and unpredictable since I remember (1982) :thumb:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #85 on: 10 Jul 2014, 04:27 am »
I wish I could have been at today's game. Sheer emotion.

Both teams were playing *not to lose*. (In American football, that's the equivalent of the Prevent Defense.)

Then, Messi looked tired and Robben lit up like he had a Columbian friend. At 99 minutes.

The PK's were nail-biting.
Here's to the Dutch - :beer:

One game left...  8)

charmerci

« Reply #86 on: 10 Jul 2014, 06:05 am »
I can understand the flopping in soccer but when I saw the previous Dutch game, I was taken aback. I'm glad Floppin' Robben is gone.

Why the refs give him the benefit of the doubt is just beyond me. (I wasn't able to watch the game today.)

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #87 on: 10 Jul 2014, 11:40 am »
I share your disdain for Robben and the Dutch. Good riddance.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #88 on: 10 Jul 2014, 01:13 pm »
Nothing would make me happier than to see Argentina beat Netherlands - I'm just concerned that they are a one man show w/ Messi.  Hopefully I will be proven wrong.

I was proven wrong (big surprise). A Brazil - Argentina game would have been interesting, but on the other hand a Germany - Holland final game less so. So we got what we got.

It has been a world cup of a lot of big surprises, and at least through the quarter finals a lot of interesting games with plenty of goals. In that respect it's been a pretty good World Cup.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #89 on: 10 Jul 2014, 01:59 pm »
When the group stages ended someone published a projection for the Knockout Round in the form of Power Rankings. I included a link to it somewhere earlier in this thread. Here is the part I recall.

1- Argentina
2- Germany
3- Netherlands
4- Brazil

Not everyone was surprised.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #90 on: 10 Jul 2014, 02:23 pm »
What a national disaster & disgrace - and as host no less.  I can't imagine what's going on in Brazil now. 

I'd have to concur that it's likely to be Holland & Germany in the final : with Germany being the victor.  Folks will get the Brazil - Argentina game they wanted though : just that it will be for 3rd place.
Pride, arrogance and pride and more pride.
They have the best salaries, fame, the best houses, the best cars and even the best woman, so came pride and fall is inevitable.
A failed model of sport based on the export of superstars to made profit.
They dont have rapport, they are incompetent collectively as a team.

The german players are masters(aged) that plays together since 2006 at the Bayer Munchen the brazilian players play in Europe all the year.

As usually the herd will guilty the Gov for a soccer cup loss, so maybe we get rid of this comunist gay gov we are enduring since 2003.
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2014, 05:19 pm by FULLRANGEMAN »

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #91 on: 10 Jul 2014, 03:44 pm »
Yeah, but for all the emotion of the Brazilian fans, it was a very classy act to applaud the game at the end. 

And what's wrong with having the best women? :drool:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #92 on: 10 Jul 2014, 05:37 pm »
I see nothing wrong with having the best women. In fact, I have one.

FULLRANGEMAN - That was a nasty rant. Are you just a disappointed Brazilian or is there something deeper and broader behind it? Given the racist rants and cold condemnation prevalent in some of your posting, it would appear the latter might be the case. Do you really have a "communist gay governor"?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #93 on: 10 Jul 2014, 06:03 pm »
Much worse than it, I can PM you to Kafkaesque absurd real facts happen since 2003.
But take a look at this one:
A Fed gov campaing from 2013, someone instituted 02June international day of prostitutes and they had the brilhiant idea of promoted this people.
http://www.canalgama.com.br/noticias/campanha-do-governo-federal-diz-sou-feliz-sendo-prostituta

http://leitura-obrigatoria.blogspot.com.br/2013/06/campanha-do-governo-federal-diz-sou.html

Its a absurd what this gov are mading with our teens and young woman.
For more detail google for Sou feliz sendo prostituta (Iam happy being a prostitute) and use translator for english.
All this are in the news site, Iam not imaging.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #94 on: 10 Jul 2014, 06:05 pm »
I've seen better looking "working women" in the Bronx.

Doc

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #95 on: 10 Jul 2014, 06:13 pm »
Yeah. These guys in power today are thus.
They find it pleasing.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #96 on: 10 Jul 2014, 06:23 pm »
I see nothing wrong with having the best women. In fact, I have one.

Me, too!   :thumb: :inlove: :notworthy: :dance:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #97 on: 10 Jul 2014, 10:53 pm »
Remember how the Netherlands brought in a new goalkeeper for Penalty Kicks against Costa Rica? Maybe they did that because they knew the game goalie was terrible against PKs. If that's the case, they may have lost that game by using all their substitutions during the playing time. Any comments?

Of course, Argentina's goalie helped things out by blocking 2 of the Dutch attempts.
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2014, 09:19 am by macrojack »

charmerci

« Reply #98 on: 11 Jul 2014, 12:22 am »
I share your disdain for Robben and the Dutch. Good riddance.

Well, I like the Dutch.

Frankly, half the problem is the referees, when they look right at Robben and give him the benefit of the doubt by giving him the call. If they start ignoring the minor infractions, he'd stop doing it. It just looks too ridiculous on a consistent basis.

Bemopti123

« Reply #99 on: 11 Jul 2014, 01:10 am »
My anecdote of the game between Brazil and Germany of the past Tuesday....

Crónica de lo que pasó mientras veía el partido entre Alemania y Brasil....

Bajé la chela. Estaba 1 a cero.  I lowered my beer.  It was 1 to zero

Me bebí un sorbo....estaba 2 a cero. I took a swig.....It was 2 to zero

Me comi un cacahuete...y estaba 3 a cero.  I ate a peanut.....and it as 3 to zero

Me tragué el cacahuete y el partido estaba 4 a cero.  I swallowed the peanut and the game was 4 to zero

Produje un eructo...y se metió el quinto. I burped and the fifth was scored.

Cuando fui al baño para hacer el número dos....escuché el grito de mi vecino alemán...supe que era la sexta.  I went to the bathroom to do number 2....and I heard the shout of my German neighbor.....and I knew it was the sixth

Y cuando bajé el agua del inodoro...escuché a Ángela Merkel gritando gooooollll por la tv.  and when I flushed.....I heard Angela Merkel screaming Gooooallll through the TV

Jijijiji
 :thumb: