RMAF-WOW

arthurs

Re: RMAF-WOW
« Reply #20 on: 25 Oct 2011, 11:06 am »
Thanks Arthur :) I thought the cool blue glow looked familiar!  :D

I actually should clarify...when I say I had some done a few years back the reality is my "worlds best audio wife" conspired with Joe and had them made for me as a Christmas present...  :thumb:

JackD201

« Reply #21 on: 25 Oct 2011, 05:46 pm »
Like Lloyd's 300lb rack pushing girlfriend, your wife is a keeper my friend!  :thumb:

walterslw

« Reply #22 on: 7 Nov 2011, 06:37 pm »
In room 522 with Purity Audio, we ran a pair of Cherry digital amps on Friday. They appeared to be "raw" with no prior break-in, so we switched to a pair of McAllister OTL tube mono blocks.  Unfortunately, the amps had suffered shipping damage, as there was distortion in the right amp, and a different type of buzzing sound coming from the tweeter on the other amp. Changing out the amps proved that the McAllisters had been damaged in shipping, as the sound with the KR Audio SXi Mk2 integrated amp we used late Saturday night was revelatory - no buzz, no distortion, just clean, pure sound with an incredible 3-D sound stage.  The KR rep wouldn't let us use the amp on Sunday, as he had it in another room, but I've ordered the KR amp for use at CES this year.  We will take Bill Baker's Purity Audio Ultra GT preamp, as it is the very best preamp I have ever tested (and it ought to be at $29,000 MSRP).  During the audition of the KR Audio SXi Mk2 integrated map using the Kronzilla tubes, everyone in the room commented on the fact that the sound of these components were elevated to a lever higher than any other room we had heard at RMAF.  Dog gone shame we couldn't have used this amp for the entire show!

The Jolida/Von Schweikert room using the VR-5 Anniversary Mk2 won "The Oasis Award" by Positive Feedback for excellence in sound (it's kinda like a "best sound of show award" according to David Robinson, Editor of PF).

We all had a great time and sold lots of speakers, so we thought all of our three rooms did a great job for us.  If you happened to visit our rooms, please put up a comment!

Hi Albert -

Our paths didn't cross on Saturday when I was up in room 522 (it was earlier on in the morning).  In short, they are one hell of an amazing speaker - the VR-44 will be my next speaker, it is absolutely gorgeous!   The VR-44 will replace my 7 year old pair VR 3.5s, and Sub 1 - which BTW still sound very good.   I just loved the transparency and bottom octave details of the 44's, but when I heard them (Saturday morning), the upper-mid range - lower treble sounded a little forward.  I chalked it up to something going on with the associated equipment, and wanted to come by for a second listen, but sadly I ran out of time as my flight back to Toronto was Saturday afternoon.  Your explanation of amp damage explains the issue.  I would love to hear the VR-44 again - I live outside of Toronto, Ontario Canada - do you know if/when Bill out in London will have them?  I moved from London about 6 years ago, but its only a 2 hour drive :-).  I am planning for these to be an early birthday gift to myself in 2012   :green:

Just want to give kudos on the VR-5 Anniversary Mk2  - absolutely amazing! - one of my favorite rooms at the show.  I just wish I was there longer to re-listen to the VR-44's.

Congratulations on yet another awesome design Albert!

Lou W

audiobat

« Reply #23 on: 15 Nov 2011, 10:35 pm »
In room 522 with Purity Audio, we ran a pair of Cherry digital amps on Friday. They appeared to be "raw" with no prior break-in, so we switched to a pair of McAllister OTL tube mono blocks.  Unfortunately, the amps had suffered shipping damage, as there was distortion in the right amp, and a different type of buzzing sound coming from the tweeter on the other amp. Changing out the amps proved that the McAllisters had been damaged in shipping, as the sound with the KR Audio SXi Mk2 integrated amp we used late Saturday night was revelatory - no buzz, no distortion, just clean, pure sound with an incredible 3-D sound stage.  The KR rep wouldn't let us use the amp on Sunday, as he had it in another room, but I've ordered the KR amp for use at CES this year.  We will take Bill Baker's Purity Audio Ultra GT preamp, as it is the very best preamp I have ever tested (and it ought to be at $29,000 MSRP).  During the audition of the KR Audio SXi Mk2 integrated map using the Kronzilla tubes, everyone in the room commented on the fact that the sound of these components were elevated to a lever higher than any other room we had heard at RMAF.  Dog gone shame we couldn't have used this amp for the entire show!

The Jolida/Von Schweikert room using the VR-5 Anniversary Mk2 won "The Oasis Award" by Positive Feedback for excellence in sound (it's kinda like a "best sound of show award" according to David Robinson, Editor of PF).

We all had a great time and sold lots of speakers, so we thought all of our three rooms did a great job for us.  If you happened to visit our rooms, please put up a comment!

What can I say about the Von Schweikert / Jolida / United Home Audio room?

STUNNING!

Did rather well in the press, so it wasn't just my ears.

This from The Absolute Sound and Stereophile web sites!

Jacub Heilbrunn
RMAF 2011 Report - Analog Sources

But the most memorable cut for me was listening to Lee Morgan’s “The Sidewinder” at United Home Audio’s room on a $17,000 Phase9 Tascam machine, which boasts, among other things, capacitors with silk as the dielectric. It sounded amazing. The “Sidewinder” recording, which Morgan cut for Blue Note, was a surprise bestseller in 1964 and features some of his most sizzling playing. I was quite smitten with the $6000 200-watt Fusion monoblocks that Michael Allen, head of Jolida, Inc., has developed and based on the venerable 211 power output tube.

Jonathan Valin
RMAF 2011 Speakers above $20K

From MBL I went down to the second floor and heard the $30k Von Schweikert VR5 Anniversary multiway floorstanders, driven by Jolida electronics and sourced by Greg Beron’s UHA Phase 9 reel-to-reel 15ips tape deck. The sound was excellent. Tonality, spaciousness, dynamics—all first-rate. Of course, in a way this room was unfair. Greg was playing back Tape Project mastertapes, including a freshly minted Beethoven Ninth, and when they’re good those tapes are hard to beat.

Best Sound (under $40k)‬

Audio Physic Avanteras
Runners-Up: Magico Q1 (on Sunday), Wilson Audio Sashas (with D’Agostino Momentum amp and McGrath tapes), Coincident Speaker Technology Pure Reference Extremes, Von Schweikert VR5 Anniversary (with The Tape Project tapes), Schimmel Voxativ Ampeggio

Stereophile
RMAF 2011
Posted by John Atkinson

The United Home Audio room at RMAF featured Von Schweikert speakers driven by Jolida electronics, this time the Von Schweikert VR5 Anniversary Mk.2s ($30,000/pair), Jolida Fusion preamp and Fusion 200W tube monoblocks ($6000/all three). But my eye was drawn to the UHA Phase 9 tape deck, which was playing some Series 3 releases from The Tape Project, specifically Nat Adderley and his band performing "Work Song." One of the better-sounding rooms, I thought.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #24 on: 16 Nov 2011, 01:38 pm »
I agree regarding the sound of that room but way too much emphasis is being placed on and credit given to the R to R deck.  Yes it no doubt is a killer source but we played a reference cd through the lowly Jolida cd player and the system was equally stunning.  Just another case of VSA speakers not getting their just deserts...and Jolida for that matter.

JackD201

« Reply #25 on: 24 Nov 2011, 08:36 am »
Congratulations to Albert, Bill and Damon on the glowing show report on Stereo Mojo!

Keith's got a 44 Aktiv being built as we speak and I'm saving up for a GT.

We just had our local HiFi Show too BTW and the Unifield 1 was a huge success.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Associated components were Townshend Rock 7 turntable w/ Excalibur 3 Arm fitted with a ZYX Airy 3 S, Valvet Soulphono Phonostage, EERA Integrale CD Player, Valvet Soulshine Linestage, Valvet A3.5 Monoblocks, 2 Rythmik F 12 subwoofers, VSA Masterbuilt Signature Cables, Critical Mass Systems PXK Racks with Black Platinum and Black Diamond Filters, Power Conditioning by Shunyata and acoustic treatments from Primacoustics.

Still in pain. Too much scotch at the after parties!  :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 24 Nov 2011, 03:41 pm »
Ok Jack, I concur with your taste in audio equipment (more or less  :D), now let's talk about Scotch.  Single malt no doubt.  What is your, say...top 2?  I normally default to Glenlivet or Glenfiddich due to price and availability but there are much better ones out there.  I like my Scotch too but must admit to a fondness for Irish whiskeys  :thumb:

JackD201

« Reply #27 on: 24 Nov 2011, 04:21 pm »
Glenmorangie for me usually. It's not too popular here so it doesn't cost too much. When I'm out celebrating a big occasion it's usually Glenfiddich 18.

When I'm home it's Cognac. Le Fleur or Quintessence. :)

I'm still a beer guy though. San Miguel Pale Pilsen or nuthin',  :thumb:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 25 Nov 2011, 12:46 am »
I remember way back in the mid 60s my brother coming home on leave from the Navy and introducing me to a beer from the Philippines that was outstanding.  Unfortunately I could never remember the name. 

JackD201

« Reply #29 on: 25 Nov 2011, 12:56 am »
San Miguel Pale Pilsen would be it :)

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 25 Nov 2011, 02:03 am »
Yup that would be the one  :thumb: I'll see if I can find it here.

audiobat

« Reply #31 on: 29 Nov 2011, 10:59 pm »
This new report from Positive Feedback Online.

RMAF 2011 "Audio Oasis Award".

The Jolida, Inc./Von Schweikert Audio room

A grand system: Jolida Fusion System Preamp and Fusion 200 WPC Monoblock Amps, Jolida Fusion 200 DAC Transport prototype, Von Schweikert Audio VR-5 Anniversary loudspeakers, and United Home Audio UHA Phase 9 tape deck.

I have been following the Von Schweikert line for a very long time now. As a matter of fact, I've owned several of the VR speakers over the years (VR-4, VR-4 Silver, VR-6), and have evaluated/reviewed several others (the very fine VR-9's, and the VR-5's). Albert had the VR-5 Anniversary Edition on display; I was familiar with them, but I had not heard them with Jolida electronics before.

The results with the United Home Audio UHA Phase9 open reel tape deck and the Jolida Fusion preamp and monoblocks were really impressive. There is always something very special about open reel tapes… this is where I started in audio, while still in high school…and the overall effect was smooth, richly harmonic, dynamic, and commendably transparent. (I have to admit that I am completely unfamiliar with this company and this tape deck, and had no time to dig in on it while at RMAF 2011.) I sat there for a while, just soaking in the music. It was so good that I forgot to check the titles of the classical recordings that we were listening to! The VR-5 AE's were providing rich, involving sound, with little to fault in terms of musical values. Reasonably compact speakers… but full-range performance! This is the real thing, amigos…Albert Von Schweikert and company have produced a real marvel here. I'm going to have to look into Jolida… that's a lot of bang for the audio buck!

And I guess that I really should see if United Home Audio is interested in a review of their Phase9 sometime, eh?

Jolida Fusion preamp: $1099

Jolida Fusion monoblock amps: $6000/pair

Von Schweikert Research VR-5 Anniversary Edition loudspeakers: $27,000

United Home Audio UHA Phase9 tape deck: $17,000

Anything that gives me such a an exceptionally pleasant, relaxing audio experience at RMAF rates an Audio Oasis! Award in my book…done!

JackD201

« Reply #32 on: 30 Nov 2011, 05:45 am »
Go for it Audiobat! Those speakers were made for ya! PenthouseD has got a mint pair for sale!

audiobat

« Reply #33 on: 30 Nov 2011, 02:36 pm »
Yes we wants them, we needs them... my precious VR-5A's.