Bi-amping

kernelbob

Re: Bi-amping
« Reply #20 on: 9 May 2022, 03:33 pm »
Active bi-amping is a different ball game.  You are throwing away the speaker designer's voicing of the loudspeaker and instead using a DIY voicing.
No, you can't just look at the speaker's specs or schematic and use those numbers. Part of a passive crossover never makes it to paper.

Just to clarify, my biamping implementation does not bypass or modify Albert Von Schweikert's crossover networks in any way.  The mid/treble input's crossover and the bass input's crossover are completely isolated, so nothing needs to be changed to implement biamplification as the manufacturer intended.  I agree that bypassing the manufacturer's crossover is a different ball game.

Geworthomd

« Reply #21 on: 28 May 2022, 07:21 pm »
Gosh, if bi-amping wasn’t out there then why would do many high end speaker manufacturers put 4 banana plugs on the back of soeakers?

toocool4

« Reply #22 on: 28 May 2022, 07:30 pm »
Gosh, if bi-amping wasn’t out there then why would do many high end speaker manufacturers put 4 banana plugs on the back of soeakers?

Because they want you to spend more money.

Geworthomd

« Reply #23 on: 28 May 2022, 07:32 pm »
Lol

WGH

« Reply #24 on: 28 May 2022, 09:21 pm »
...why would do many high end speaker manufacturers put 4 banana plugs on the back of soeakers?

Because it is easier to connect a double run of speaker cable. Not everyone has the budget or desire to run wire the size of welding cables to their speakers. A single run of affordable wire works well in most circumstances but if the speakers are true full range then a second run of the same cable will add to your musical enjoyment.

Kimber Kable 4VS has an aggregate wire size of 2-13 AWG, a double run has an aggregate wire size of 2-10 AWG. 10 AWG is the sweet spot for me, any less and the very low bass is attenuated. The test recording was "Temple Caves" from Mickey Hart's Planet Drum. A single run of Kimber has pretty good bass, a double run made the old, single pane glazed windows rattle.

If your speakers don't have strong output below 40 Hz then the wire gauge may not make any difference at all and 13 AWG to 16 AWG may work just fine. The amp makes a difference too, a 50w receiver probably doesn't have the balls to pump out more bass no matter the speaker wire gauge.

Geworthomd

« Reply #25 on: 28 May 2022, 09:39 pm »
May I ASK:

100 watts of speakers = 60 volts and 8.3 amps. 16 gauge wire is rated to 13 amps by National Electric Code. Isn’t it possible that huge speaker wires are all manufacturer’s hype?

Geworthomd

« Reply #26 on: 28 May 2022, 09:41 pm »
Notice that wire watts out an amplifier is more than  OHM’s law in order to account for peaks I guess.

WGH

« Reply #27 on: 28 May 2022, 10:04 pm »
Are you measuring or listening? There are plenty of audio forums that believe in measurements only. I read Stereo Review magazine cover-to-cover, they meticulously measured everything. Unfortunately they measured the wrong things and the best measured electronics sounded the worst.

Changing wires make very, very small adjustments to the sound that can be heard, the ear is an amazing. Whether it makes a difference worth paying for is another thing.
Even keeping your speakers and buying a new, bigger amp won't change the sound. Ask your girlfriend or wife if they hear a difference between amps or wires and they will say no.
Speakers and room treatments make the biggest difference, everything else is just delusional but oh so much fun.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #28 on: 28 May 2022, 10:08 pm »
Even keeping your speakers and buying a new, bigger amp won't change the sound.

I would not count on that happening. Bigger amps usually have issues with small details (lots of brute force applied to get lots of power) and a better quality amp can make a big difference.

Everything is important.

dave