Bryston amps and Isotek Power Conditioner

tie_breaker

Bryston amps and Isotek Power Conditioner
« on: 7 Jul 2016, 05:04 am »
Hi, I am curious to know if anyone is using, has used, or auditioned Isotek Aquaruis or another model with their Bryston amps. I would appreciate your feedback ..

Thank you..

Folsom

Re: Bryston amps and Isotek Power Conditioner
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2016, 10:01 am »
They look worth a try, I see some very positive attributes. Bryston makes their own, too.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2016, 11:06 am »
Hi, I am curious to know if anyone is using, has used, or auditioned Isotek Aquaruis or another model with their Bryston amps. I would appreciate your feedback ..

Thank you..

Hi

Is it an Isolation Transformer?

james

audio.bill

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2016, 11:49 am »
Not an isolation transformer, it's a power conditioner with two high current outlets for power amps. http://www.isoteksystems.com/products/performance/evo3-aquarius/

MarvinTheMartian

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2016, 11:10 pm »

9kg lightweight  :duh:
Shawn

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #5 on: 8 Jul 2016, 08:39 am »
Wow... That looks quite... Unimpressive... :roll:
This is what I have and I am more than happy with it...

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jul 2016, 09:08 am »
It's not necessarily, but it its not perfect. To be frank, power conditioning is incredibly at odds with common practice, and not well understood for optiilmization. That is, mostly in the realm of capacitor and "coils" to the point they have a bad name. The reality is they have bad engineers. The isotek might be fine but I'd have to examine in person to give entirely clean bill of health.

Bryston uses isolation transformers. They're much harder to screw up. Trouble free, perhaps.

This doesn't show me any indication it's superior,  but I can't see it all. Again, inductors are not as simple to use as people think, so I have suspicions with such unit.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2016, 09:33 am »
I didn't say it is superior, but this is one of those times where bigger is better. I also have my TV hooked up to it, and the difference was definitely noticable there. No more glitches, specles etc. Definitely an improvement!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 8 Jul 2016, 10:20 am »
Hi Folks,

If you are going to use power conditioning you really want an Isolation transformer that ISOLATES your system from the outside world.  You are on your own electrical grid that way as you are working off the magnetic field between the primary and secondary side of the transformer which totally isolates you from the outside world.

Also the BIT provides noise filtering (thats just the nature of a transformer) and spike rejection (storms) as well.

We found you have to use very large transformers though (double the rating required - so the 20 amp unit uses a 40 amp transformer) because other wise we found the smaller transformers reduce dynamics.  Be aware that not all transformer based power conditioners are Isolation units - some are just filters and are  in series with the wall plug and we do not recommend this type with our amplifiers.

If you asked me what is the perfect condition for an amplifier to be connected to it would be a LOW IMPEDANCE- HIGH CURRENT source - this is what the Bryston BIT supplies.

james

« Last Edit: 8 Jul 2016, 03:56 pm by James Tanner »

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
« Reply #9 on: 8 Jul 2016, 02:03 pm »
I auditioned a 'junior' model a while back, Can't really tell the improvement, if any.

it's definitely not the huge heavy weight donut isolation type. I'd say it's more of the kind of witchcraft many power cord makers use on their high end cords. So it's more of a fancy socket board with filter for your DA and CD but not the amps because IIRC there're two sockets for amps clearly marked 'direct' and not filtered.

It's quite nice, well made ,not too expensive and i especially liked the air breaker switch , but no ideas why they placed it on the bottom.

tie_breaker

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jul 2016, 09:30 pm »
My dealer here highly recommended the Isotek Aquaruis, so I brought one home to audition and plugged my 14bsst2 in.  I was pleasantly surprised to hear the improvement in clarity.  The instruments sound more distinct, separated, the sound stage is wider and deeper.  It is easier to "hear or follow" the music each instrument is playing.  There seems to be more focus and clarity on mids and highs.  The lows seem to be a bit tighter, less boomy.    On the other hand, it seems a bit like the overall sound is a bit "thinned out."   Maybe this is because the bass is less boomy. In some recordings this works well in some others you are left with wanting to hear more bass. In other words the low frequencies are a bit absent and the overall sound seems a bit more lifted/focused towards the mids and highs.   

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jul 2016, 11:02 pm »
There may be some resonation problems with the unit. It doesn't appear to compensate for them. That's another problem a BIT won't have.

tie_breaker

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jul 2016, 01:58 am »
Unfortunately I can't demo a BIT as my dealer doesn't carry any of the BIT models.

Rod_S

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jul 2016, 08:49 pm »
Hi Folks,

If you are going to use power conditioning you really want an Isolation transformer that ISOLATES your system from the outside world.  You are on your own electrical grid that way as you are working off the magnetic field between the primary and secondary side of the transformer which totally isolates you from the outside world.

Also the BIT provides noise filtering (thats just the nature of a transformer) and spike rejection (storms) as well.

We found you have to use very large transformers though (double the rating required - so the 20 amp unit uses a 40 amp transformer) because other wise we found the smaller transformers reduce dynamics.  Be aware that not all transformer based power conditioners are Isolation units - some are just filters and are  in series with the wall plug and we do not recommend this type with our amplifiers.

If you asked me what is the perfect condition for an amplifier to be connected to it would be a LOW IMPEDANCE- HIGH CURRENT source - this is what the Bryston BIT supplies.

james

What are your thoughts on the designs of products like those built by Shunyata which take a completely different approach to Torus/Bryston and do not include transformers at all yet still maintain such products are suitable for high current products and are designed for the most part with 20A IEC inlets for such higher current applications.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 12 Jul 2016, 09:15 pm »
What are your thoughts on the designs of products like those built by Shunyata which take a completely different approach to Torus/Bryston and do not include transformers at all yet still maintain such products are suitable for high current products and are designed for the most part with 20A IEC inlets for such higher current applications.

I plead the fifth!

james

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #15 on: 12 Jul 2016, 09:20 pm »

Hi

I own Triton and Typhon. In my system, adding these two put my enjoyment of the music in an entirely different universe. The improvements were substantial. I'm not keen on rave reviews, and the ones written for this tandem certainly are detailed and analytical -- beyond my patience, really.
(e.g. http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/shunyata_research_triton_typhon.htm)

I am not an electrician or an audio electronics expert. I have read many of the negative remarks leveled at Shunyata's products -- snake oil cables, etc. I'm not sure whether any of that is true. In truth, from my own listening experiences, this Triton/Typhon tandem lived up to its mfr's billing, imo. They allowed me to hear deeper into my recordings, and I have rarely attended a live classical concert since acquiring them. That's as strong praise as I can or care to give.

A big part of this is also synergy -- T-T might not work in some systems. I guess I'm very lucky.

p.s. I don't have dedicated lines (not needed to get the benefits of a power distributor) -- I do have a single Hubbell 5362 wall outlet that feeds the Triton. Good, cheap investment, imo, over the stock wall outlet in hi-rise condos/houses.

Hope this helps.

drummermitchell

« Reply #16 on: 13 Jul 2016, 12:06 am »
I dont have a fifth of anything :duh:
I went thru 5 hydra 2's(amps),hydra 6(components)
DEDICATED LINES :D,also.......shunyata python helixes,anaconada helixes....12 cables all together,                                                           The Money rub for sure and not talking BBQ.
Demoed one Torus(BIT)15a ,couldn't do all the amps (mains for sure),
picked up a used 20a...split the amps 3x7's ..plus 2 x b's,2 x DD15,plus components.
soon as I connected the second Torus to relieve the strian on the amps as with the one the shunyata and torus sounded------------------------------
soon as the second Torus and were talking INSTANTANEOUS...NOW factor..SHOWTIME
slam, bottom tighter moree like a a live event.
Sorry I would never buy shunyata,hey had the top cables,Hydras ect...BS
Audio10 shows what goes into a hydra 4,also there are picts of a hydra 6 insides BS
Had my Torus(s)6-7 yr,they stay my cables and shunyata ...friggin dust in the wind...pure imagination at least thats what I heard .nothing,
stock cables with Torus ....you dont need fancy expensive cables,sides they just put friggin foam pipe insulation to give that AWWW effect...been on the puzzle trail for yrs glad I got most of my money back on the cables.
Haven't found or heard yet nothing better than the Torus(BIT and if Ido I'll change up as I love my music the best it can be...............................

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #17 on: 13 Jul 2016, 12:14 am »
^  Ha. I guess you couldn't audition any of the Shunyata cables before buying.....
Lot of dough wasted there. To each his own.

drummermitchell

« Reply #18 on: 13 Jul 2016, 12:24 am »
Ill add for front end.28's and Vac SIG MKIIA pre and 4 JL F-113's if your trying to squeeze more out,
love it when you have no choice but to HEAR the difference Torus(Theres ..no I think I can or It should be..like I say been there done it pure BS with SHhhhhhh can you hear the difference ,hey the adds look great with the light shining thru the cables..remember the TAIPAN
to each their own  as I spent thousands thinking this will do it or oh that sounds better(imagination,
don't take my word
DO A HOME AUDITION AND YOU HAVE NO CHOICE,YOU ACTUALLY HEAR IT AS IT IS THAT DRAMATIC OF A DIFFERENCE with a TORUS OR BIT)
HOME AUDITIONS ARE FREEEEEEEEEEEEE..just like the music

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 13 Jul 2016, 12:25 am »
I dont have a fifth of anything :duh:
I went thru 5 hydra 2's(amps),hydra 6(components)
DEDICATED LINES :D,also.......shunyata python helixes,anaconada helixes....12 cables all together,                                                           The Money rub for sure and not talking BBQ.
Demoed one Torus(BIT)15a ,couldn't do all the amps (mains for sure),
picked up a used 20a...split the amps 3x7's ..plus 2 x b's,2 x DD15,plus components.
soon as I connected the second Torus to relieve the strian on the amps as with the one the shunyata and torus sounded------------------------------
soon as the second Torus and were talking INSTANTANEOUS...NOW factor..SHOWTIME
slam, bottom tighter moree like a a live event.
Sorry I would never buy shunyata,hey had the top cables,Hydras ect...BS
Audio10 shows what goes into a hydra 4,also there are picts of a hydra 6 insides BS
Had my Torus(s)6-7 yr,they stay my cables and shunyata ...friggin dust in the wind...pure imagination at least thats what I heard .nothing,
stock cables with Torus ....you dont need fancy expensive cables,sides they just put friggin foam pipe insulation to give that AWWW effect...been on the puzzle trail for yrs glad I got most of my money back on the cables.
Haven't found or heard yet nothing better than the Torus(BIT and if Ido I'll change up as I love my music the best it can be...............................

Hi Don

You should have been a writer - love the line -I dont have a fifth of anything !

james