What could this be???

EdRo

What could this be???
« on: 10 Apr 2015, 01:52 pm »
Hey Guys!!! This is Ed, and I build the Aurora and Nimbus cabs. My goal is to supply customers with products that equal or exceed the look of my speaker designs. I've been working on a pet project for almost 2 years. All I can say now is that it's milled from solid 6061 aluminum and bamboo plywood, and Herbies products will be liberally sprinkled throughout. This will make it's audition at Axpona, and I can't believe how it's turning out!!!! I hope everyone else likes this different direction I've went in for this necessary accessory!
     Here are some pics, and let the debate begin!

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Re: What could this be???
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2015, 02:00 pm »
A chicken disemboweling apparatus? 

jriggy

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2015, 02:06 pm »
Is it part of a rack?

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2015, 02:15 pm »
Is it part of a rack?

A medieval torture rack maybe, or possibly it's an automated back scratcher.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2015, 02:18 pm »
What size have this block?

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #5 on: 10 Apr 2015, 02:21 pm »
What size have this block?

Are we playing word jumble now?

EdRo

« Reply #6 on: 10 Apr 2015, 02:23 pm »
??? Ok, Fullrangeguy, the size of my block is a bit personal, don'tcha think?  :lol:

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #7 on: 10 Apr 2015, 02:23 pm »
A scalloped chingadera with angled rangle supports.

EdRo

« Reply #8 on: 10 Apr 2015, 02:26 pm »
DINGDINGDING!!! A rack it is!!! I thought it would be tougher then that to figure out!!! Do we have some Mensa members trolling here or what?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 10 Apr 2015, 02:29 pm »
Are we playing word jumble now?
??? Ok, Fullrangeguy, the size of my block is a bit personal, don'tcha think?  :lol:
Sorry

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #10 on: 10 Apr 2015, 02:40 pm »
DINGDINGDING!!! A rack it is!!!

Hey, I call the shots around here and I say it's a scalloped chingadera with angled rangle supports.   :rotflmao:

EdRo

« Reply #11 on: 10 Apr 2015, 02:48 pm »

I've designed a four shelf cantilever rack; three shelves are adjustable. The top shelf should work well for turntables and such. I chose bamboo plywood because of it's strength and sustainability. Many people seem to prefer how maple interacts with components in comparison to tempered glass, quartz or granite; I hope that bamboo, while costlier, will have a similar sonic signature with more strength and stability. Here's an earlier rendering without the bamboo shelving. I've made a few changes to the arms, also. The bamboo will be pegged in place on the arms for a cleaner look. Please let me know what you all think of my latest creation!!!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 10 Apr 2015, 02:54 pm »

I've designed a four shelf cantilever rack; three shelves are adjustable. The top shelf should work well for turntables and such. I chose bamboo plywood because of it's strength and sustainability. Many people seem to prefer how maple interacts with components in comparison to tempered glass, quartz or granite; I hope that bamboo, while costlier, will have a similar sonic signature with more strength and stability. Here's an earlier rendering without the bamboo shelving. I've made a few changes to the arms, also. The bamboo will be pegged in place on the arms for a cleaner look. Please let me know what you all think of my latest creation!!!

I don't know... if you send me one I'll give it a whirl and let you know.  :green:

Looks really nice, I like the materials... I recently got samples of stranded bamboo ply and it is some really solid stuff! I think an aluminum/bamboo composite material would make for a good speaker baffle too.

EdRo

« Reply #13 on: 10 Apr 2015, 02:58 pm »
Fullrangeman, maybe you're asking how large is the bottom plate, ? It's 20"wide x 34" deep x around 44" tall. The shelves are 18"deep x 24" wide to give you plenty of room for gear. These shelves will be open on 3 sides, and because of the cantilever design (one shelf isn't directly over the others), your equipment will have superior heat dispersion.

standub

« Reply #14 on: 10 Apr 2015, 03:52 pm »

mtruong34

« Reply #15 on: 10 Apr 2015, 03:54 pm »
Looks really neat!  Is there a secondary locking mechanism?  Is it possible that a hard bump or jolt at the right angle or direction can cause the shelf to become unstable?

EdRo

« Reply #16 on: 10 Apr 2015, 04:18 pm »
The weight of the arms themselves keep the shelves in place. The roundstock 6061 aluminum across the teeth in the back keep the shelves in position. No tools are needed to adjust the shelves. If the front of the arms are lifted high enough to take the roundstock out of the teeth in the back, the shelf will move, but because of the almost diagonal angle of the spine or "rails" that the arms ride on, the arms don't "fall". They slide down the rear "rails" very controllably. I tried to design a simple yet strong rack; one that could be adjusted almost infinitely, convenient to use and adjust, able to display gear well, but be strong and stable.

GentleBender

« Reply #17 on: 10 Apr 2015, 04:34 pm »
I love your work on my Auroras and totally trust your skills. Looking forward to see this come together so we can see some price ranges. Love the red color! :thumb:

Meicheng

« Reply #18 on: 10 Apr 2015, 04:40 pm »
What is the maximum weight each shelf can support?

EdRo

« Reply #19 on: 10 Apr 2015, 05:31 pm »
I need to do a test to failure on this design; the pieces of the prototype are at the anodizer as I type now. My metal guy tells me that this is CRAZY strong. The arms are 1" x 1.5" thick solid 6061 aluminum. I'm guessing conservatively that they'll hold up just about any amp that'll fit on a 20" x 22" table. I'm a wood guy, so if there are any aluminum guys out there, (hey Aluminati guys?) maybe they could shed some light? From my Viking point of view, this is SOLID!!!