GIK Acoustics NEW Alpha Wood Series

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
GIK Acoustics NEW Alpha Wood Series
« on: 29 Sep 2015, 01:50 pm »
GIK ACOUSTICS LAUNCHES ALPHA WOOD SERIES

ATLANTA, GA (September 29, 2015) – Leading acoustic treatment manufacturer GIK Acoustics has announced the launch of a new product series that is literally changing the face of acoustic panels and bass traps.

Introducing the GIK Acoustics Alpha Series, a line of acoustic panels and bass traps with a wood face which has a mathematical sequence of slots for one-dimensional scattering / diffusion.

The Alpha Series beautifully combines absorption with diffusion and enhances any room both aesthetically and acoustically with superior quality, high-performing, and stylish room treatments.
First in the series is the 4A Alpha Panel. The 4A Alpha Panel is constructed as a 23.75” x 23.75” x 4” wood-framed panel filled with rigid fiberglass absorption material (core made from 100% recycled materials, environmentally friendly without any formaldehyde or urea formaldehyde). The panel is then wrapped in fabric and finished with a blonde veneer wood face which is designed for even, one-dimensional scattering. The wood face also allows low frequency waves to pass through to the fiberglass panel for better low end absorption.

Company founder and president, Glenn Kuras says, “I am thrilled to bring the Alpha Series to our customers. Not only is the Alpha Series one of the most attractive product lines we’ve introduced, but they are more effective than similar products on the market. And they’re made with the quality and high performance standards that our customers have come to expect. The Alpha is truly a game changer for GIK and for the industry.”

The 4A Alpha Panel is available for sale direct from the GIK Acoustics website.
4A Alpha Panel Diffusor / Absorber

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: GIK Acoustics NEW Alpha Wood Series
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2015, 02:16 pm »
Glenn,

You lazy butt!! I could of used this a month ago...goodbye Vicoustic, hello GIK!

Great work!  :hyper:

This could also be used at 1st reflection points in some systems?

Now try to find a way to get those woods in different stains/colors. I'm looking for a black or carbon fiber veneer, which I could send you and then your CNC mill could cut it out...send me a pm if you have time, or else I'll see you at RMAF if you are going  :thumb:

Best,
Anand.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2015, 02:24 pm »
You lazy butt!! I could of used this a month ago...goodbye Vicoustic, hello GIK!

:D

This could also be used at 1st reflection points in some systems?

Yes in a 2 channel listening room it is fine. In fact I think most guys are going to like the effect vs. totally absorbing the early reflections.

Now try to find a way to get those woods in different stains/colors. I'm looking for a black or carbon fiber veneer, which I could send you and then your CNC mill could cut it out...send me a pm if you have time, or else I'll see you at RMAF if you are going  :thumb:
R

Hate to say but we are not going to be at RMAF this year. We have committed to AES in NY. First time in 8 years we did not have a room, but we really need to do NY this year.  As far as color we are starting with blonde as it really is the color we sell the most of with the Q7D. Perhaps down the road we will add more, but we shall see.  :D

mojave

« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2015, 03:01 pm »
That 4A Alpha Panel looks really nice.

While there won't be any GIK representatives in our room, the JRiver/JTR Speakers room 2016 will have the following GIK Acoustics treatments at RMAF:

(4) Tri-Traps
(2) Monster Bass Traps
(4) 244 Bass Traps

We should have some literature on hand, but I'm not sure if it includes the new Alpha Wood Series.

advanced101

« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2015, 05:11 pm »
I'm beginning to look at the replacing my standard traps at my first reflection point with diffusion.  What would be the difference between these and the Q7Ds?

I'm looking to widen the sound stage.  I'm think this will be a common question.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2015, 05:13 pm »
What would be the difference between these and the Q7Ds?

+1

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 29 Sep 2015, 05:14 pm »
I'm beginning to look at the replacing my standard traps at my first reflection point with diffusion.  What would be the difference between these and the Q7Ds?

I'm looking to widen the sound stage.  I'm think this will be a common question.

The Q7D is going to be pure diffusion/scrattering starting at 500hz or so vs the Alpha that is absorption from around 100hz and starts to diffuse/scatter at 1K. How wide is your room?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #7 on: 29 Sep 2015, 06:27 pm »
Oh...one more thing. The price is excellent  :thumb:

For other users, don't go for the type that has a 2 inch absorber, unless it's somewhere way in the rear side walls...go for the 4 inch absorber (which will limit it's high frequency absorption) or the 6 inch versions across the entire back wall.

This is great stuff!

Best,
Anand.

advanced101

« Reply #8 on: 29 Sep 2015, 07:16 pm »
The Q7D is going to be pure diffusion/scrattering starting at 500hz or so vs the Alpha that is absorption from around 100hz and starts to diffuse/scatter at 1K. How wide is your room?

Thanks for the response.  Diffusion is the most complicated subject for me.  I think the number of options makes choosing a diffuser more complicated.

My room is 13' wide.  Speaker (B&W 800 D2) center is 2.5' from the side walls.  I sit 9' from the speakers.  I have your tri-traps in the vertical corners and the soffit traps along the floor to back wall.  Right now I have 244s at the first reflection point.  The result is a pin point image between the speakers but nothing outside of the speakers.  I think I am absorbing too much at the first reflection point.

Hipper

« Reply #9 on: 30 Sep 2015, 10:38 am »
Would it be fair to say it has broadly similar effects to a 242 panel with a scatter plate?

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 30 Sep 2015, 12:39 pm »
Would it be fair to say it has broadly similar effects to a 242 panel with a scatter plate?

Kind of, but I would say more like a 244 or a Monster with one (absorption).  Also the openings are done is such a way that we are getting a bit of a helmholtz resonator effect.

dpatters

« Reply #11 on: 30 Sep 2015, 01:03 pm »

Glenn,

I have two 244's (one behind each speaker) and a tri trap in the corner. Do you think I could replace the 244's
with the Alpha Wood Series? A lot better looking since this is my living room.

Don P.

hi5harry

« Reply #12 on: 30 Sep 2015, 03:32 pm »
Thanks for the info Glen,
 These look fantastic! I just placed my order.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 1 Oct 2015, 11:40 am »

Glenn,

I have two 244's (one behind each speaker) and a tri trap in the corner. Do you think I could replace the 244's
with the Alpha Wood Series? A lot better looking since this is my living room.

Don P.

That would be a perfect place for the Alpha 4A!  Basically mount 2 to 4 behind each speaker, in the same spot where the 244s are now.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 1 Oct 2015, 11:40 am »
Thanks for the info Glen,
 These look fantastic! I just placed my order.

Thank you very much for the order. Keep me posted how you like them!  :D

dpatters

« Reply #15 on: 1 Oct 2015, 02:37 pm »
Thanks Glen!

Don P.

Austin08

« Reply #16 on: 1 Oct 2015, 03:57 pm »
Glenn,

I have a pair of MG3.7i. Would you recommend putting these panels in between front wall or behind them? Thanks

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #17 on: 1 Oct 2015, 03:59 pm »
Glenn,

I have a pair of MG3.7i. Would you recommend to put these panels in between front wall or behind them? Thanks

Both! We are dealing with SBIR that comes off the front wall so we start with just behind the speaker but if you can I would also cover the center.

Austin08

« Reply #18 on: 1 Oct 2015, 04:10 pm »
Glenn,

My MG is only about 24" out into the room (family room so WAF is high). Is this far enough distance to put Alpha Wood behind speaker and center of the front wall. Thanks

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #19 on: 1 Oct 2015, 05:01 pm »
Glenn,

My MG is only about 24" out into the room (family room so WAF is high). Is this far enough distance to put Alpha Wood behind speaker and center of the front wall. Thanks

Actually that is about right.