I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning.

2bigears

Re: I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning.
« Reply #141 on: 4 Sep 2018, 11:36 pm »
 :D tesla would be long done if it wasn't for taxpayer money.  Corp welfare big time. 
         And battery exchange sounds good on paper.  Way to complex ,not like an oil change yet.  :D

avahifi

« Reply #142 on: 5 Sep 2018, 02:30 pm »
I started this topic just to report about driving a new and innovative car that impressed me.

I have not bought a new car in 16 years. It was a new Audi S6 Avant that cost $64,000 new back then.  I have been checking out several different options over the past few months.

I wanted something with the same feeling of security and stability, the same capable high power and fun to drive feeling, but not priced like an equivalent to a new Audi.

The Tesla 3 exceeded my expectations.  Since the test drive, I have been researching the advantages and disadvantages of owning an EV.  I have learned that Tesla has a comprehensive nation wide network of quick charge stations so a 300 mile range is no big deal.  Also, I can do a 240V charge station at home pretty easily. Also, with the all wheel drive version, it will be even better for driving on slippery roads than my Audi as its reaction time is much quicker.

I was very impressed with the unique Auto Drive capability.  I am not getting any younger and the Tesla system is faster than me in responding to someone stopping suddenly in front of me, or drifting into my driving lane.  True self driving software will be uploaded later, when perfected.  Looking at finished cars at the Tesla store now, it is obvious that the issues of QC are pretty well resolved.  Lots of tests show that the battery pack should last for years and years. There will be more interesting and useful functions built into the Model 3 that will be available as free downloads as time goes on.

Most of the comments here in this topic have been just politics.

I do have opinions about certain kind of cars too.  I consider the idea of an urban pickup truck kinda strange.   Its best use here is helping a neighbor move.  In a rural area, for moving hay bales or taking a sick cow to the vet.  Otherwise with the high center of gravity and the aerodynamics of a brick, I am not impressed.  However that is just my opinion.

Then there is the issue of natural resources use.  I worry about fracking, oil spills, coal mining by mountain top removal, and Canadian very dirty oil sands more than using up some rare minerals.

The gummet bailed out GM and Chrysler (Ford removed per Wayne's correctIon) super big time when they about went belly up during the last big recession.  The EV $7500 tax credit is running out soon, and will be gone by the time I order and receive a new Tesla, assuming that I do that. Two of the big three would be long gone if it was not for taxpayer money.  Corp welfare big time as stated herein.  :)

The heated emotional response to the Tesla makes about as much sense as today's uncivil political discourse.  I am sorry to see so much of this in this topic.

Frank

« Last Edit: 6 Sep 2018, 07:45 pm by avahifi »

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #143 on: 5 Sep 2018, 05:03 pm »
Thanks for posting this, Frank. Putting aside the political squabbling, there can be no doubt that it’s a very interesting vehicle with some unique extras.

Look at this:
““Not only did the vehicle system completely scrub the cabin air, but in the ensuing minutes, it began to vacuum the air outside the car as well, reducing PM2.5 levels by 40%. In other words, Bioweapon Defense Mode is not a marketing statement, it is real. You can literally survive a military grade bio attack by sitting in your car.
Moreover, it will also clean the air outside your car, making things better for those around you. And while this test happened to be done with a Model X, the same would be true of the new Model S now in production.”

Cheers,
Lester

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #144 on: 5 Sep 2018, 05:19 pm »
It amazes me how small the electric motors to power these cars are.

I stumbled on this video showing the manufacturing process of the electric motors for the Audi electric:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq6z1hShFcE

A word of caution—it's 18 minutes long and you might be drawn in to watching the whole thing.

Wayner

« Reply #145 on: 6 Sep 2018, 01:04 am »
The Government did NOT bale out FORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They did not take one damn penny from the US tax payers.

Wayner

« Reply #146 on: 6 Sep 2018, 01:09 am »
I started this topic just to report about driving a new and innovative car that impressed me.

I have not bought a new car in 16 years. It was a new Audi S6 Avant that cost $64,000 new back then.  I have been checking out several different options over the past few months.

I wanted something with the same feeling of security and stability, the same capable high power and fun to drive feeling, but not priced like an equivalent to a new Audi.

The Tesla 3 exceeded my expectations.  Since the test drive, I have been researching the advantages and disadvantages of owning an EV.  I have learned that Tesla has a comprehensive nation wide network of quick charge stations so a 300 mile range is no big deal.  Also, I can do a 240V charge station at home pretty easily. Also, with the all wheel drive version, it will be even better for driving on slippery roads than my Audi as its reaction time is much quicker.

I was very impressed with the unique Auto Drive capability.  I am not getting any younger and the Tesla system is faster than me in responding to someone stopping suddenly in front of me, or drifting into my driving lane.  True self driving software will be uploaded later, when perfected.  Looking at finished cars at the Tesla store now, it is obvious that the issues of QC are pretty well resolved.  Lots of tests show that the battery pack should last for years and years. There will be more interesting and useful functions built into the Model 3 that will be available as free downloads as time goes on.

Most of the comments here in this topic have been just politics.

I do have opinions about certain kind of cars too.  I consider the idea of an urban pickup truck kinda strange.   Its best use here is helping a neighbor move.  In a rural area, for moving hay bales or taking a sick cow to the vet.  Otherwise with the high center of gravity and the aerodynamics of a brick, I am not impressed.  However that is just my opinion.

Then there is the issue of natural resources use.  I worry about fracking, oil spills, coal mining by mountain top removal, and Canadian very dirty oil sands more than using up some rare minerals.

The gummet bailed out Ford, GM, and Chrysler super big time when they about went belly up during the last big recession.  The EV $7500 tax credit is running out soon, and will be gone by the time I order and receive a new Tesla, assuming that I do that. The big three would be long gone if it was not for taxpayer money.  Corp welfare big time as stated herein.  :)

The heated emotional response to the Tesla makes about as much sense as today's uncivil political discourse.  I am sorry to see so much of this in this topic.

Frank

Well, why did you even post this in an audio forum? BTW, get your facts straight. Ford did not take any money bail outs. GM and Chrysler did and were forgiven some of the money given to them by the last president.

I'm sure a "city slicker" wouldn't have a clue what to do with a pick-up, that brick of a vehicle.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #147 on: 6 Sep 2018, 02:12 am »
I wonder if Tesla has a pickup in the works...

avahifi

« Reply #148 on: 6 Sep 2018, 06:15 pm »
Yes, Tesla is working on a pickup truck.

Check here:

Electrek.co

Frank

martyo

« Reply #149 on: 6 Sep 2018, 10:21 pm »
Enjoying your excitement with the Tesla! Have a couple engineer friends with them and my cousin has a trucking company and a couple of his sales people have them. They are in Indiana and read the paper on the way into work on I65.

I post this as comedy rather then political. Funny this morning the news report of the F150 recall for fires.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #150 on: 6 Sep 2018, 10:41 pm »
You realize that the pollution that other countries contribute is so large that virtually no matter what we do in the USA it will not even move the needle, right?  The amount of coal plants that were bought by China ~9 years ago is staggering.  It is exported daily....
No, China sees the writing on the wall; the science is clear. Coal will be phased out but they need to keep the lights on until the transition is closer to completion. The sickening pollution that is present in all their major cities is making their lives miserable and this affects the decision making elites as well as the average person. They're moving faster than we are towards a clean energy future. What's holding us back is entrenched fossil fuel energy elites that are very effective at pushing their economic interests ahead of the interests of the country as a whole. 
« Last Edit: 7 Sep 2018, 12:17 am by rajacat »

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #151 on: 7 Sep 2018, 01:09 am »
Funny this morning the news report of the F150 recall for fires.

Seatbelt fires, no less.  :o

You've got to give it to Ford, though. 85% of all Fords ever made are still on the road today.  The other 15% made it home.

How was the Tesla's sound system, Frank? That whole 'noise-to-signal ratio' thing should be much different in an electric car, no?

avahifi

« Reply #152 on: 7 Sep 2018, 12:48 pm »
The Tesla 3 has a very good sound system.  Tesla has worked very hard on this. No engine noise to contribute to the noise to signal ratio.

However, no CD or cassette payer 😢

However one can plug in a USB memory stick full of music.

Charging ports for smart phones too.  You can use your smart phone as the key to unlock and run the car, either at the car or remotely when you use the fetch function.

Every software download keeps improving the Tesla and unlocking more functions.  When Consumer Reports noticed  that stopping distances were a bit too long, a prompt upgrade fixed that issue.

The next upgrade is supposed to provide an optional use of a PIN number to unlock driving the car as an additional security measure.

The standard rear motor version does 0 to 60 in about 5+ seconds.  The dual motor all wheel drive version I am interested in is 4+ seconds.  Pay more and unlock the “performance” function and 0 to 60 goes down to 3+ seconds.

The new VERY EXPENSIVE  coupe under development now claims 0 to 60 in 1.8 seconds, a top speed of 250 mph, and a range of 600 miles.  This will be a Porsche and Ferrari killer,  but unfortunately a driver killer too unless they are very well trained and experienced.

There is a huge electric  semi truck Tesla touring the country now pulling a loaded trailer.  It’s goal is to eliminate big diesel smog producing over the road trucks.  Old line fossil fuel burner companies are worried.

Frank

TomS

« Reply #153 on: 7 Sep 2018, 02:17 pm »
Cool video link in the Elector article below of a guy going through the systems of a salvaged Tesla Model 3. If you're used to ICE and Big 3 auto systems, this is quite an interesting contrast.

https://www.elektormagazine.com/news/tesla-model-3-striptease-in-the-garage?utm_source=Elektor+United+States+%28English%29&utm_campaign=7ba2277e12-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_9_6_2018_15_22&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8b7374950c-7ba2277e12-234934437&mc_cid=7ba2277e12&mc_eid=3e209d06b2

WGH

« Reply #154 on: 7 Sep 2018, 02:32 pm »

There is a huge electric  semi truck Tesla touring the country now pulling a loaded trailer.  It’s goal is to eliminate big diesel smog producing over the road trucks.  Old line fossil fuel burner companies are worried.

I didn't know that, very cool.

Walmart orders 30 more Tesla Semi trucks for its fleet
https://www.engadget.com/2018/09/06/walmart-orders-30-more-tesla-semi-trucks/
"This isn't the hugest order (PepsiCo, for instance, has 100 on deck)."

kingdeezie

« Reply #155 on: 7 Sep 2018, 02:42 pm »
Seatbelt fires, no less.  :o

You've got to give it to Ford, though. 85% of all Fords ever made are still on the road today.  The other 15% made it home.

:lol:

This actually made me laugh out loud.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #156 on: 7 Sep 2018, 02:56 pm »
For anyone interested, Joe Rogan interviewed Elon Musk last night on his podcast. I’m only 30 min in and the discussion about AI is freaking me out. He’s a different kinda dude for sure.

https://youtu.be/ycPr5-27vSI

artur9

« Reply #157 on: 7 Sep 2018, 08:57 pm »
The Tesla 3 has a very good sound system.  Tesla has worked very hard on this. No engine noise to contribute to the noise to signal ratio.
My electric is very quiet as well but that just means I can hear everyone else's music ;-(   Especially waiting at lights.

I wish I had more subwoofers.  That'll teach 'em!

dB Cooper

« Reply #158 on: 8 Sep 2018, 12:17 am »
For anyone interested, Joe Rogan interviewed Elon Musk last night on his podcast. I’m only 30 min in and the discussion about AI is freaking me out. He’s a different kinda dude for sure.

https://youtu.be/ycPr5-27vSI

Got to the part where Musk toked up yet?

jhm731