I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning.

ctviggen

Re: I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning.
« Reply #160 on: 8 Sep 2018, 10:50 am »
:lol:

This actually made me laugh out loud.

That was super funny!  Doesn't Ford mean Fix Or Repair Daily?   :)  (And they have these for every manufacturer.)

If you want to get concerned about AI, what happens when AI replaces drivers in Taxis, Ubers, delivery trucks, 18 wheelers, etc.?  What do all those people do for work? One of the reasons there are fewer factory workers in the US is because of automation (and of course fewer factories).  Factories don't need as many workers as they used to need, so even if you can get a factory to start up, you don't get as many workers in the factory as you used to get.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #161 on: 8 Sep 2018, 03:43 pm »
As Charlie Chaplin would say, welcome to Modern Times!  :green:

Gene

Early B.

« Reply #162 on: 8 Sep 2018, 06:29 pm »
That was super funny!  Doesn't Ford mean Fix Or Repair Daily?   :)  (And they have these for every manufacturer.)

If you want to get concerned about AI, what happens when AI replaces drivers in Taxis, Ubers, delivery trucks, 18 wheelers, etc.?  What do all those people do for work?

You'll end up with mass unemployment and poverty, and the crime that comes with it. Cities will be for the wealthy and the outskirts will be lawless. It's already happening. Every major city in America is becoming gentrified, forcing low income persons into the suburbs.

If this sounds fatalistic, it's not meant to be. I viewed the Musk youtube interview and he made some very valid points about AI.

Wayner

« Reply #163 on: 8 Sep 2018, 08:00 pm »
Seatbelt fires, no less.  :o

You've got to give it to Ford, though. 85% of all Fords ever made are still on the road today.  The other 15% made it home.

How was the Tesla's sound system, Frank? That whole 'noise-to-signal ratio' thing should be much different in an electric car, no?

Your brains (or lack of) are showing. And your a Volunteer.......

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #164 on: 8 Sep 2018, 08:02 pm »
You'll end up with mass unemployment and poverty, and the crime that comes with it. Cities will be for the wealthy and the outskirts will be lawless. It's already happening. Every major city in America is becoming gentrified, forcing low income persons into the suburbs.

If this sounds fatalistic, it's not meant to be. I viewed the Musk youtube interview and he made some very valid points about AI.

The solution might be 20 hour work weeks. You know, the initial promise of the industrial revolution...

I'm very sure we don't have modern jobs for 8 billion or whatever folks, so we need to redefine success and consider a financial system that isn't based on continuous growth.

Wayner

« Reply #165 on: 8 Sep 2018, 08:05 pm »
Half of the 8 Billion don't work now.......free money, why work?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #166 on: 8 Sep 2018, 08:16 pm »
Half of the 8 Billion don't work now.......free money, why work?

Good point. Part of the solution might involve doing just that in the form of a minimum guaranteed income. It would likely be more effective and overall cheaper vs the current system, and I'd also bet it would reduce crime, especially if combined with legalization and regulation of all drugs.

We need to start thinking outside our current paradigm and remove the ego from the equation, people get angry about giving people "free money" but we need to do what works regardless of hurt feelings and indignation.

We don't have jobs for everyone on the planet, it's as simple as that. Ultimately, the solution is for people to have less kids. We talk about cars and renewable energy, and these are worthy topics, but having kids may be the most selfish and destructive thing you can do right now. I don't know that for a fact and haven't studied it closely, but I wouldn't be surprised. I think we need a goal to halve the population over the next decades... 

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #167 on: 8 Sep 2018, 08:31 pm »
Your brains (or lack of) are showing. And your a Volunteer.......

:rotflmao:

Thank you; I needed that.

Wayner

« Reply #168 on: 8 Sep 2018, 08:49 pm »
:rotflmao:

Thank you; I needed that.

I expect us member to go off the beaten path, but when volunteers throw coals on the fire, it's no wonder why the AC membership numbers are not very high. And I know lots of members here are sick of the attitude of "police" department here.

Why not start slamming some one that owns JBL or Marantz or Dynaco. Those are also American Classics.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #169 on: 8 Sep 2018, 09:01 pm »
How as the weather when you drove the car, Frank?

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #170 on: 8 Sep 2018, 09:03 pm »
+1 JerryM  :lol:

avahifi

« Reply #171 on: 8 Sep 2018, 09:30 pm »
Jerry, your last post was not nice.

I request that you remove it.

Frank

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #172 on: 8 Sep 2018, 09:31 pm »
Jerry, your last post was not nice.

I request that you remove it.

Frank

Done.  :thumb:

Early B.

« Reply #173 on: 8 Sep 2018, 09:54 pm »
We don't have jobs for everyone on the planet, it's as simple as that. Ultimately, the solution is for people to have less kids. We talk about cars and renewable energy, and these are worthy topics, but having kids may be the most selfish and destructive thing you can do right now. I don't know that for a fact and haven't studied it closely, but I wouldn't be surprised. I think we need a goal to halve the population over the next decades...

Don't worry about overpopulation. Nature will handle that just as it does with every other species.

Also, keep in mind that population control has tremendous racial implications, so you have to be very careful. Think eugenics, Margaret Sanger, the holocaust, etc. 

avahifi

« Reply #174 on: 8 Sep 2018, 10:01 pm »
Weather when I drive the Tesla 3 was heavy clouds to light drizzle, but not enough to turn on its rain sensing windshield wipers.  Traction was fine. I drive the dual motor AWD version rated to have about 400 HP.

I could only hold pedal to the floor for about 2.5 seconds when doing Tesla guide suggested acceleration from a stop test.  Already going nearly double the city speed limit when I backed off.  Surprising, even though I am used to brisk driving with my 340 hp Audi S6.

Acceleration is INSTANT!  Zero delay.  Massive instant torque.  No drama, just launches like from a catapult.

It is the best car I have ever driven.  Great handling, road feel, and stability. Planning to order dual motor version, dark grey metallic finish.  I will pass on the auto pilot option at first as it can be downloaded later.

Hoping to order late next winter for spring delivery.

Now all I need is for a bunch if you guys to buy a lot more AVA equipment to help me finance my dream.

Frank

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #175 on: 8 Sep 2018, 10:13 pm »
Don't worry about overpopulation. Nature will handle that just as it does with every other species.

Also, keep in mind that population control has tremendous racial implications, so you have to be very careful. Think eugenics, Margaret Sanger, the holocaust, etc.

It's probably better to reduce the population by having fewer kids vs letting diseases kill millions or billions. Although it's probably too late as we're currently seeing horrible diseases spread throughout the US via ticks and mosquitoes, Ebola in Africa, and that crazy bird flu that could wipe out a lot of folks in China.

I'm not sure it has to be a racial issue but it's true that more advanced country's populations are leveling off so the push to stop having kids would be aimed at growing populations which are typically more 3rd world. I don't have any good solutions here and I'm not sure anything is going to change the ingrained monkey-mind that has that urge to procreate. It also goes against many religious beliefs. I do believe this is the real issue though, technology will make it possible to sustain more people on earth but we're obviously past the limits of sustainability given our current tech and behavior right now.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #176 on: 8 Sep 2018, 10:16 pm »
Weather when I drive the Tesla 3 was heavy clouds to light drizzle, but not enough to turn on its rain sensing windshield wipers.  Traction was fine. I drive the dual motor AWD version rated to have about 400 HP.

I could only hold pedal to the floor for about 2.5 seconds when doing Tesla guide suggested acceleration from a stop test.  Already going nearly double the city speed limit when I backed off.  Surprising, even though I am used to brisk driving with my 340 hp Audi S6.

Acceleration is INSTANT!  Zero delay.  Massive instant torque.  No drama, just launches like from a catapult.

It is the best car I have ever driven.  Great handling, road feel, and stability. Planning to order dual motor version, dark grey metallic finish.  I will pass on the auto pilot option at first as it can be downloaded later.

Hoping to order late next winter for spring delivery.

Now all I need is for a bunch if you guys to buy a lot more AVA equipment to help me finance my dream.

Frank

I have to admit I like Tesla more after hearing the podcast with Elon and his views on Tesla. He knows and admits they are toys as much as "green" transportation devices. I have no issue at all with people having toys if that's what they want, and I like fast cars myself.

Early B.

« Reply #177 on: 8 Sep 2018, 10:38 pm »
It's probably better to reduce the population by having fewer kids vs letting diseases kill millions or billions. Although it's probably too late as we're currently seeing horrible diseases spread throughout the US via ticks and mosquitoes, Ebola in Africa, and that crazy bird flu that could wipe out a lot of folks in China.

How do you know it's better to reduce the population instead of letting nature handle it? Is man smarter than nature?

I'm not sure it has to be a racial issue but it's true that more advanced country's populations are leveling off so the push to stop having kids would be aimed at growing populations which are typically more 3rd world. I don't have any good solutions here and I'm not sure anything is going to change the ingrained monkey-mind that has that urge to procreate.

It's interesting that you acknowldge the racial implications of population control, then in the next sentence you use the derogatory term, "monkey-mind" that could easily be construed to refer to 3rd world people you mentioned in the first sentence. This is the problem with the discussion of population control. It's not an issue one should discuss casually.   

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #178 on: 8 Sep 2018, 10:52 pm »
How do you know it's better to reduce the population instead of letting nature handle it? Is man smarter than nature?

It's interesting that you acknowldge the racial implications of population control, then in the next sentence you use the derogatory term, "monkey-mind" that could easily be construed to refer to 3rd world people you mentioned in the first sentence. This is the problem with the discussion of population control. It's not an issue one should discuss casually.   

It's not a derogatory term and I never used it in the manner you suggest. "Monkey-mind" is the part of our genetics that predisposes us to certain behaviors and it applies to everyone.

In general, people need to htfu and stop getting offended so easily.

Early B.

« Reply #179 on: 8 Sep 2018, 11:26 pm »
It's not a derogatory term and I never used it in the manner you suggest. "Monkey-mind" is the part of our genetics that predisposes us to certain behaviors and it applies to everyone.

Your intent and how you define the term is not relevant. The point is that some terms shouldn't be used in the context of racially polarizing issues, and "monkey-mind" is certainly one of them.

As you mentioned, do some research on the topic and I'm sure you'll find that it's a highly complex issue that has tremendous human rights implications (think: mass sterilization) and a contorted history. Also contemplate how a government would enforce such a program and the penalties for those who don't comply (think: castration - ouch!).