Tyson’s Adventures Upgrading the X3’s

Nico M

Re: Tyson’s Adventures Upgrading the X3’s
« Reply #60 on: 22 Mar 2022, 10:52 pm »
Hi Tyson,

I've also replaced the series cap bypass for my mids, and highs from Sonicap gen 1, to myflex kpcu.
Initially i felt it as quite a step down, because the resolution was much worse compared to the Sonicaps. The tonal balance was better, because my speakers did need a bit more warmth in the highs. The Myflex did just that.
After two and a half months of use, the resolution has shown great improvements,  but i still think the Sonicaps give just a little more detail.

But the myflex sound so incredible realistic. I will not change them back for the Sonicaps bypass. I feel like the music is even more natural, and played live in my room. Like you can almost feel the musicians playing in your room. The burnin time is also ridiculously long for these caps. In my case they are still improving after 2,5 months of use. They are worth it.

My highs did need just a hair more warmth, the myflex took care of that.
Al other caps are bypassed with sonicap gen 1's. Also a great sounding cap.

Good luck with your project, have fun!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #61 on: 22 Mar 2022, 10:58 pm »
Thanks all!  The funny thing is I don't really feel any different than when I was younger.   Hope that keeps up for a while longer :)

Same here…when I turned 50 last year it was basically a non-event.

George

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #62 on: 23 Mar 2022, 12:15 am »
...Right off the bat, I'd say that the Miflex is a step up on tonal quality but a step down in detail and resolution vs the ODAM/Duelund combo.   We'll see how things go as I get through the next 500 hours of burn in.....
It appears you didn't bypass the Myflex (yet?) with the Silver Duelunds? That would surely return much of the detail you lost with this change.

Happy Birthday. I remember 50 like it was yesterday.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #63 on: 23 Mar 2022, 12:35 am »
Hi Tyson,

I've also replaced the series cap bypass for my mids, and highs from Sonicap gen 1, to myflex kpcu.
Initially i felt it as quite a step down, because the resolution was much worse compared to the Sonicaps. The tonal balance was better, because my speakers did need a bit more warmth in the highs. The Myflex did just that.
After two and a half months of use, the resolution has shown great improvements,  but i still think the Sonicaps give just a little more detail.

But the myflex sound so incredible realistic. I will not change them back for the Sonicaps bypass. I feel like the music is even more natural, and played live in my room. Like you can almost feel the musicians playing in your room. The burnin time is also ridiculously long for these caps. In my case they are still improving after 2,5 months of use. They are worth it.

My highs did need just a hair more warmth, the myflex took care of that.
Al other caps are bypassed with sonicap gen 1's. Also a great sounding cap.

Good luck with your project, have fun!

Thanks, yes I agree completely.

Same here…when I turned 50 last year it was basically a non-event.

George

The only thing I notice is sometimes bruises will just show up on some at random place on my body and I have no idea how the hell they got there, haha.

It appears you didn't bypass the Myflex (yet?) with the Silver Duelunds? That would surely return much of the detail you lost with this change.

Happy Birthday. I remember 50 like it was yesterday.

That's not a bad idea!  I'll give it a try once the big Miflex caps are fully burned in.

RonP

« Reply #64 on: 23 Mar 2022, 02:31 am »
Happy 5th decade, Tyson. I'm slightly ahead of you on this planet  :D

I look forward to your trifecta bypass cap juggenaught!  :thumb:

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #65 on: 23 Mar 2022, 01:10 pm »

If Tyson were to build a car, this would be his style...  :lol: Take something great and sensible and go full tilt fun modding it to make them truely one of a kind. The fact that your paint can sized copper caps sit on top is hilarious. I love seeing the progress on this as it really is a textbook lesson on experimenting with crossover voicing to get YOUR perfect sound. Just remember not to throw your back out lifting those big caps around. Lol.

Tyson

« Reply #66 on: 23 Mar 2022, 04:21 pm »
Happy 5th decade, Tyson. I'm slightly ahead of you on this planet  :D

I look forward to your trifecta bypass cap juggenaught!  :thumb:

Thanks Ron!  And yes you know that's eventually going to happen.

If Tyson were to build a car, this would be his style...  :lol: Take something great and sensible and go full tilt fun modding it to make them truely one of a kind. The fact that your paint can sized copper caps sit on top is hilarious. I love seeing the progress on this as it really is a textbook lesson on experimenting with crossover voicing to get YOUR perfect sound. Just remember not to throw your back out lifting those big caps around. Lol.

Funny thing is I ordered 4 of the 15uF caps because I wanted to swap out the Miflex for the Jupiter copper caps in my Super 7's downstairs.  The box with all the caps was so heavy, my arm was sore the next day from carrying it around, haha.

RonP

« Reply #67 on: 21 Apr 2022, 09:19 pm »

Yeah I'd be interested in knowing what the outcome here is as well... All in due time of course.

Tyson

« Reply #68 on: 8 Jun 2022, 04:09 pm »
I couldn't stand my crossovers in that tiny metal box, so I ended up mounting them to some bamboo boards instead.  Here's the final state of my X3 crossovers:

genjamon

« Reply #69 on: 8 Jun 2022, 04:11 pm »
What happened to all the bypass caps?!

Tyson

« Reply #70 on: 8 Jun 2022, 04:14 pm »
What happened to all the bypass caps?!

I might play around with them again in the future.  But the Miflex are very nice without them.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #71 on: 8 Jun 2022, 05:04 pm »
That's the prettiest crossover wiring I've ever seen.  You should see my embarrassing work on Danny's SVS Ultra upgrades.  But, hey, it works and no one can see it inside the speaker box.

Marcus

genjamon

« Reply #72 on: 8 Jun 2022, 05:15 pm »
I might play around with them again in the future.  But the Miflex are very nice without them.

Great to hear! Very nice crossover - I’d find comfort in both being able to look at those big Miflex’s on occasion and having easy access for any other tweaking.

Tyson

« Reply #73 on: 8 Jun 2022, 09:08 pm »
That's the prettiest crossover wiring I've ever seen.  You should see my embarrassing work on Danny's SVS Ultra upgrades.  But, hey, it works and no one can see it inside the speaker box.

Marcus

Thanks, it's all hand polished, dead annealed pure silver wire in teflon.  Great wire, easy too use, easy to route and sounds amazing.  I actually rewired the entire X3's with that wire (tweeter, midrange and bass driver).

Great to hear! Very nice crossover - I’d find comfort in both being able to look at those big Miflex’s on occasion and having easy access for any other tweaking.

Yep, if I do want to make changes, it's now super easy, barely an inconvenience!

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #74 on: 8 Jun 2022, 11:07 pm »
Tyson, where did you get that wire? I’m looking at an upgrade of my second speakers Focal Aria 906’s
« Last Edit: 9 Jun 2022, 01:27 am by Audiosaurusrex »

Tyson

« Reply #75 on: 9 Jun 2022, 04:22 am »
Tyson, where did you get that wire? I’m looking at an upgrade of my second speakers Focal Aria 906’s
Here's the Nimak dead annealed pure silver wire with beeswax polish hookup wire:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123738204587

NoahH

« Reply #76 on: 9 Jun 2022, 05:02 am »
I couldn't stand my crossovers in that tiny metal box, so I ended up mounting them to some bamboo boards instead.  Here's the final state of my X3 crossovers:

Do you feel like the tube connectors to the internal wires sacrifice anything? I was lightly considering getting a small flotilla of tube connectors to do that on my NX-tremes...

... because clearly encouraging myself to make multiple swappable crossovers is a good idea...

Tyson

« Reply #77 on: 9 Jun 2022, 02:49 pm »
Do you feel like the tube connectors to the internal wires sacrifice anything? I was lightly considering getting a small flotilla of tube connectors to do that on my NX-tremes...

... because clearly encouraging myself to make multiple swappable crossovers is a good idea...

Tube connectors are definitely transparent.  Very little insertion loss.  Although direct wiring to the drivers is best, of course. 

RonP

« Reply #78 on: 10 Jun 2022, 03:53 pm »
Here's the Nimak dead annealed pure silver wire with beeswax polish hookup wire:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123738204587

I forget, are you also using this as your speaker cable?

thanks
Ron

Tyson

« Reply #79 on: 10 Jun 2022, 06:10 pm »
I forget, are you also using this as your speaker cable?

thanks
Ron

I use the Nimak speaker cable on my Super 7's downstairs.  For the X3's I'm a beta-tester for the new Hapa Audio speaker cable, which is phenomenal.