Picture Food Needed

rob80b

Re: Picture Food Needed
« Reply #1100 on: 15 Jul 2012, 01:08 pm »

My humble arrangement. The top pix was off a web page...must be an erlier 4Bst going by the caps' color.

That's the question, because my first 3BST from 99 had the newer caps I just assumed they were in all the units from 1999 on, now I know it's not the case.
But then there are also black ones. :?, anyway not a big deal as we're comparing amps from over 10 years ago so it's all water under the bridge (must be age getting me to repeat clichés) but the purple ones do have an increase in capacity, 10,000 to 12,000, at least on my first  3BST so there may be a slight increase in dynamic headroom.

Here are some shots of a pro version from 2001 with the black ones.
http://www.gzhifi.com/xinyi/goods.php?id=189

Now to find out more about those ATC-Frost transformers!

Robert

rob80b

« Reply #1101 on: 16 Jul 2012, 01:49 pm »

Now to find out more about those ATC-Frost transformers!

Robert

For those who may discover they have ATC-Frost toroidal transformers in place of Plitron in a late ST here’s the company profile from Stats Can
http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/ccc/srch/nvgt.do?lang=eng&prtl=1&sbPrtl=&estblmntNo=322778320000&profile=cmpltPrfl&profileId=501&app=sold
"Currently exporting throughout North America and select clients in Europe and Asia.   Country of Ownership: Canada   Year Established: 1950 Exporting: Yes   Primary Industry (NAICS): 335311 - Power, Distribution and Specialty Transformers Manufacturing...."

Although I also found this: “Atc-Frost Magnetics Inc is a private company categorized under Transformers Power Supply, Electronic Type and located in Oakville, ON, Canada. Our records show it was established in 2001”?
http://www.manta.com/ic/mtq8dvw/ca/atc-frost-magnetics-inc

From what I can gather, ATC-Frost who was a Canadian owned entity up until till around 2000 when they became part of the Standex Electronics division of Standex International sometime prior to 2005 and then there’s a more recent merger with MEDER Electronic http://www.standexelectronics.com/ ; obviously business politics get a bit complicated so continual supply may have been questionable in the future, especially for Bryston’s warranty.

Again we may never know the exact circumstances of the short term use of ATC-Frost toroidal transformers, although they may have manufactured the earlier use of E-I core transformers for Bryston, I can only assume that Bryston tried them for a short term for what ever reason and then went back to Plitron with whom they’ve had a long term business relationship and appear to be a company of similar ethics.
http://www.plitron.com/about/overview/

Robert

rob80b

« Reply #1102 on: 16 Jul 2012, 02:27 pm »

For those who may discover they have ATC-Frost toroidal transformers in place of Plitron in a late ST ...........

Robert

Just one point before I've started a stampede of late ST owners opening up their amps and crying foul (although it would be interesting in knowing how many are out there and in which amps 4B? etc.), my "ATC-Frost" 3BST sounds excellent, pin point imaging, great layering, excellent base and quiet as a mouse, just like any other Bryston. :D

Robert

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #1103 on: 16 Jul 2012, 02:40 pm »
  Good piece of research, thanks again. I enjoy the photos as well :thumb:

rob80b

« Reply #1104 on: 16 Jul 2012, 03:11 pm »
  Good piece of research, thanks again. I enjoy the photos as well :thumb:

Thanks Redbook

Although it's all about the music, all hobbies have do have their multiple sides and (sorry about another quote) but "the devil is in the details'.

Robert

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #1105 on: 16 Jul 2012, 03:22 pm »
  Yes, knowing what's inside the box is always the great mystery. :eyebrows:

PRELUDE

« Reply #1106 on: 16 Jul 2012, 04:31 pm »
You guys reminded me this project that I never finished because of few obsolete parts. :cuss:
This is not a kit but a book which I had list for parts,schematics and the print of circuit boards.
I made all the circuit boards and drill the holes and plitron made the custom transformer for me.
All this parts are for a 300w mono.

rmurray

« Reply #1107 on: 16 Jul 2012, 09:38 pm »
  Beautiful Prelude. James,. here's that idea for a nice 4B monoblock  heh heh :thumb:

rob80b

« Reply #1108 on: 16 Jul 2012, 10:07 pm »
  Beautiful Prelude. James,. here's that idea for a nice 4B monoblock  heh heh :thumb:

Speaking of mono blocks I'm tempted by this one, but its an ST not SST to match my 4BSST although the 2BLP pro is holding its own on the center channel.
Mono blocks that are the half the size and just not just  half of the components would great though.

BRYSTON 470 MONO BLOCK AMPLILIER
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649008798-bryston_470_mono_block_amplilier/

Robert

spinner

« Reply #1109 on: 17 Jul 2012, 11:01 am »

I'll always be a "Spinner"  :dance:   :wink:

rmurray

« Reply #1110 on: 17 Jul 2012, 11:16 pm »
 Speaking of older 4Bs.....I believe it's a Bryston but what generation? :lol:

All I know is these pix came up when I googled 4B.... :icon_frown:

rob80b

« Reply #1111 on: 18 Jul 2012, 03:08 am »
Speaking of older 4Bs.....I believe it's a Bryston but what generation? :lol:

That's easy, "The Old Generation" :lol:

I'm going to have to dig up one my morphing soft-wares and do a number on these.

rob80b

« Reply #1112 on: 18 Jul 2012, 03:24 am »

They've come a long way baby and as they say "You're not getting older you're getting better"

ronman

« Reply #1113 on: 18 Jul 2012, 02:58 pm »
RobertD

Sorry for delay in reply. Been away with work again. Those are S8 v2's (internally rewired with AQ Rocket44)

Robert D

« Reply #1114 on: 5 Aug 2012, 07:55 pm »
Vintage shots from days gone by!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428585

Enjoy this

Robert

Robert D

« Reply #1115 on: 7 Aug 2012, 08:54 pm »
Last week I traded in my Paradigm Reference Signature S8 V2's in Cherry for
Paradigm Reference Signature S8 V3's in Piano Black . They have been breaking in for just over 1 week . They  sound just sweet . I'll have to post some picture Food !!!

As well I purchased a Pair of Paradigm Sub 1 's again in Piano Black which I should be receiving this week.

Robert

Robert D

« Reply #1116 on: 7 Aug 2012, 09:02 pm »
I forgot to mention I purchased as well 1 pair of RCA 27ft Sub-3 DBS Subwoofer cable by
AudioQuest  .The cables as well should be arriving as well this week
Looking forward to the new sound .

Robert

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #1117 on: 7 Aug 2012, 09:20 pm »
Robert,

what was the reason for the trade-in?

al.

Robert D

« Reply #1118 on: 7 Aug 2012, 09:33 pm »
Robert,

what was the reason for the trade-in?

al.

The technology .....of the Speaker The V3 is the 3rd version of the Signature S8 Series.
The overall sound the production  of the speaker the highs the lows and especially the Bass the imaging the soundstage.
I guess you can say ...My V2's needed  some attention by the engineer's at Paradigm to build a superior sounding top of the line Paradigm Speaker.... and they did. They have been playing for just over a Week straight. My 4bsst2's are happy... they have been on 24/7

Robert

Robert D

« Reply #1119 on: 7 Aug 2012, 09:37 pm »

Here is a pic of the Signature S8 v3's in Piano Black

All take some pic's once I get the camera up and loaded

Regards Robert