Picture Food Needed

ronman

Re: Picture Food Needed
« Reply #1080 on: 28 Jun 2012, 10:04 am »
At the time the 4B was available for R30000.oo, and the P2 was R42000.oo (taxes excluded)

SoundGame

« Reply #1081 on: 28 Jun 2012, 09:27 pm »
At the time the 4B was available for R30000.oo, and the P2 was R42000.oo (taxes excluded)

Ronman,

So you are the same person that wrote that two page review on Furutech fuses, used in your source components.  You need to chime in on the thread on your experience.  It was just by chance I came across the review on one of the Furutech retailer sites and matched your system description to that in the review.

Cheers.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #1082 on: 29 Jun 2012, 05:36 am »
In Canada, the 4B-SST2 is about $400 more than the P2 - but the 4B-SST2 is a significantly different sounding amp than the 4B-ST, with more power, definition and sophistication.

Exactly, so you must take ronman's comments about Bryston with a grain of salt.

ronman

« Reply #1083 on: 29 Jun 2012, 05:46 pm »
Hi SoundGame

You kidding me!!?? That Furutech fuse review made it here (somewhere)!! Wow!! That was made and sent to Jeandre (hhmmm can't remember his surname right now.....Botha  ??    I think that's his surname) the main importer / agent for Furutech. Got those fuses through him as the the local retailers did not have them in stock. He apparently doesn't normally sell straight to the public so I really appreciate his help.     (Hello Jeandre!! If you are reading this too!!)

So yes. That was me. And that is my system. And you are rather observant. The world gets smaller every day. LOL. Gonna send him an email - haven't chatted with him in a while.

Back to the BDP-1 and BDA-1 comparison testing. Was at "my" hifi retailer today to do comparisons between the two component. We were short of a pair of matching cables. Wanted everything to be identical connection wise between the two components. So I am taking my cables with me to the shop tomorrow and we will try again. I can say though that even with one component using xlr and the other using rca interconnects, the basic tonal character of the two components is alike. It's unfair to compare them at the moment as the interconnects do not match. So. There will be an update on this tomorrow.  I am going to copy this paragraph on to the thread that I posted about anyone doing BDP-1 vs BCD-1 comparisons. Maybe that thread is of some use to someone.

Hi vegasdave. Yes. Take what I say about the 4B and the P2 with a pinch of salt. I would love to compare the P2 against the newer 4B's, but they are a little hard to find here. Our retailers here (no disrespect to them) don't carry tons of stock or a large variety of brands. So you land up buying and selling, or dragging your hifi components from one house to another to get a taste of what each brand or model is capable of. Its not the best way maybe, coz I believe the best way to test is in your own room and environment, but we make do and learn and grow along the way. 

vegasdave

« Reply #1084 on: 29 Jun 2012, 06:06 pm »
I see, ronman. That's a predicament. Anyway, no worries. Hopefully, you'll get to hear the 4BSST or SST2 in the near future.

ronman

« Reply #1085 on: 29 Jun 2012, 06:11 pm »
I hope so too vegasdave. Bryston is a very good product. Always had a soft spot for them.

SoundGame where did you read that review? Jeandre wants to follow it. Do you have a link to it? 

vegasdave

« Reply #1086 on: 29 Jun 2012, 06:12 pm »
Cool, sounds good.

SoundGame

« Reply #1087 on: 30 Jun 2012, 01:42 pm »
I hope so too vegasdave. Bryston is a very good product. Always had a soft spot for them.

SoundGame where did you read that review? Jeandre wants to follow it. Do you have a link to it?

Here it is ronman - I liked reading it:
http://www.avcables.co.za/furutech_testimonials.htm

ronman

« Reply #1088 on: 1 Jul 2012, 09:16 am »
Thanks SoundGame !!

I know this is supposed to be a "picture food" thread, so I put my BDP-1 vs BCD-1 comparision here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=107621.0

rob80b

« Reply #1089 on: 13 Jul 2012, 08:38 pm »

Not an SST2 but just had the arrival today of a 3BST with rare 17” with handles to take the place of my B60 (poor little guy couldn’t keep up with those DTS sound effects) running some Dynaudio Contour MKIIs as surrounds.
Sadly I sold my previous 3BST 17” without handles when I upgraded to the 4BSST so it’s a welcome return. Also this 3BST must be almost one of the last out the door before the SSTs hit the market with a December 2001 production date and a January 2002 spec sheet.

« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2012, 12:31 pm by rob80b »

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #1090 on: 13 Jul 2012, 09:14 pm »
 A great shot of a great amp. Thanks for the pleasure. My 4bSt was a 2000. These will be classics :thumb:

rob80b

« Reply #1091 on: 13 Jul 2012, 09:53 pm »
A great shot of a great amp. Thanks for the pleasure. My 4bSt was a 2000. These will be classics :thumb:

Here's a shot of plane Jane without the handles that I sold after I got the 4BSST in 2008.

redbook

« Reply #1092 on: 14 Jul 2012, 01:00 pm »
 Was there much difference between the regular and the THX sound on music listening?  :scratch:

Robert D

« Reply #1093 on: 14 Jul 2012, 01:51 pm »
Ronman,  very nice set up I like what see  :thumb:
Your Paradigms S8 are they version 1,2

Regards Robert

rob80b

« Reply #1094 on: 14 Jul 2012, 03:18 pm »

Hi redbook,

The ST and ST THX were basically the same so no perceived sonic difference, but IMHO there was a difference between the earlier 3BST and the later STs.
Bryston kept refining the ST with better capacitors and other components during its life-time, the late editions also have better connectors especially the RCA jacks and the top cover has more venting.

earlier ST

later ST

As you can see from my first my 3BST 9932 date code, some of the boards are dated from 1999, if I get some free time I may pop the top on latest 3BST 0152 date code just to compare, all part of this hobby of coarse.

Basically what this tells us is that Bryston never sits still once a model is released, as James has mentioned more than once, if better performing components become available to improve performance they will be used, and as we can see the proof is in the pudding.

Over all the ST series amps are very good though, a cursory listen with my new 3BST in place of the 4BSST before I placed it in the back for surround duty showed it is a commendable performer but careful listening does indeed give the SST the upper hand, most obvious in the upper frequencies which are smoother and more natural but with no lack of detail.

Robert

redbook

« Reply #1095 on: 14 Jul 2012, 05:21 pm »
  Thanks again. Really appreciate your pix and info on this model. What year did that back panel change? I think I have the newer one and if so those various improvements explain why my 4B is so good sounding.( 2000 model ) :D :thumb:

rob80b

« Reply #1096 on: 14 Jul 2012, 06:04 pm »
  Thanks again. Really appreciate your pix and info on this model. What year did that back panel change? I think I have the newer one and if so those various improvements explain why my 4B is so good sounding.( 2000 model ) :D :thumb:

Hi redbook

I believe in 99 but I've some more revealing information, see below.

Ok, curiosity got the better of me.
Here are some shots from my previous 3BST (9938) and my recently acquired 3BST (0151), now first I should mention my original 3BST even though dated from 1999 came from new from Bryston in 2003 as a warranty replacement on a problematic 3BNRB which I bought new 10 years prior (gotta to love that warranty.), so it obviously had further updates.
The most obvious being larger capacitors, 12000 (which are similar to those in the SSTs) compared to 10000, also my older one had the Plitron transformers and my current one ATC-Frost transformers, all very interesting.

previous 3B dated 09 but received new from Bryston in 2003.

and these are from my current 2001.

So I may be incorrect in assuming  all STs had the capacitor upgrades prior to the SST.
And of course I'm now curious as to the use of the ATC-Frost transformers, I'm not too sure if they were just a substitute or used  throughout prior to the Plitrons.

previous 3B dated 09 but received new from Bryston in 2003

previous 3B dated 09 but received new from Bryston in 2003

current 3B 01

current 3B 01

I knew I should have kept my first 3BST. :(

rob80b

« Reply #1097 on: 14 Jul 2012, 06:27 pm »

"Here are some shots from my previous 3BST (9938) and my recently acquired 3BST (0151), now first I should mention my original 3BST even though dated from 1999 came from new from Bryston in 2003 as a warranty replacement on a problematic 3BNRB which I bought new 10 years prior (gotta to love that warranty.), so it obviously had further updates.
The most obvious being larger capacitors, 12000 (which are similar to those in the SSTs) compared to 10000, also my older one had the Plitron transformers and my current one ATC-Frost transformers, all very interesting."

I knew I should have kept my first 3BST. :(

What's funny is that prior to deciding on getting an SST I had asked James if it was possible that my 3BST THX I received in 2003 from Bryston may have had some of the SST updates,  I believe we may have been both right, as mine may have been a "one off".
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=51800.msg491216
Hi James

Getting directly to the chase I took a peek inside my current ST, a number of the boards are Rev’s from 1999, the available schematics on line are dated 1997, the schematics for the 3BSST are 2002 so it is difficult to tell if any of the new “advances included in this new SST Series are: Faster, more linear and more reliable output transistors for better high frequency accuracy” were implemented in the late series 3BST’s.

Robert

Hi Rob,

No there have not been any changes in the 3B ST prior to or after the release of the 3B SST.

james
But honestly, going from memory I believe both of the late model 3BSTs would be indistinguishable.

Robert
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2012, 03:49 am by rob80b »

rob80b

« Reply #1098 on: 14 Jul 2012, 08:07 pm »
.................So I may be incorrect in assuming  all STs had the capacitor upgrades prior to the SST.
And of course I'm now curious as to the use of the ATC-Frost transformers, I'm not too sure if they were just a substitute or used  throughout prior to the Plitrons...........

I believe I found part of the answer as the Plitron 673853-04 is clearly indicated on  the Rev 5 schematics from 97?

I'm sure both transformers are of equal quality and both Plitron and ATC-Frost are Canadian manufacturers but I'm still curious all the same.

Robert
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2012, 11:48 pm by rob80b »

rmurray

« Reply #1099 on: 15 Jul 2012, 11:37 am »

My humble arrangement. The top pix was off a web page...must be an erlier 4Bst going by the caps' color.