What is your Assorted Electronics lineup with AK Speakers?

Larkston Zinaspic

Some AudioKinesis owners have provided the rundown in their equipment profile, others haven't (like myself). Oddly enough, the only tube amp I've heard with my Jazz Modules so far is an Atma-Sphere S-30, but there has been a variety of SS amps, including some F5 monoblock clones, a Redgum integrated, a pair of Monarchy Audio SM-70 Pro amps in fully balanced mode, and a Plinius SA-100MKIII.

A few of the associated preamps in rotation: an SAS Audio Labs Model 10A, a YS Audio A2-SE, and a Promitheus Dual box Reference C-core TVC.

The few digital sources I've heard through the Jazz Modules include a Burson Audio HA-160D, a Metric Halo ULN-2, and a Metronome CD2V.

But that's all I've heard with my speakers so far. What are the rest of you listening to? Any SET owners using Duke's speakers? Any 'eureka' moments in your gear swapping? Any 'must hear' recommendations?

Thanks to all,
Greg
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2011, 12:55 am by Larkston Zinaspic »

Dave G

Hey Greg,

Still enjoying my Jazz Modules.  Right now I'm using a Logitech Touch (Bolder digital mods) to an Eastern Electric Minimax DAC to a Mapletree Line 2A preamp to Atma-Sphere M-60 amps.   I have a Red Wine Signature 30 amp that I can use in place of the M-60s and it isn't THAT much of a drop off.

I'm pretty much set.  The only change I might make is to try an Atma-Sphere preamp sometime.

Take care.

Dave
« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2011, 05:04 pm by Dave G »

jimdgoulding

One very nice thing about the speakers is that they are very efficient.  Opens the door for a tube integrated I would think.

matt.w

One very nice thing about the speakers is that they are very efficient.  Opens the door for a tube integrated I would think.

Opens the door to some interesting combinations. That's one thing I particularly liked, because I can bridge the gap between speakers and my first true audiophile love, headphones, with the same set of electronics.

My amp is an 6C33-B SET combined speaker/headphone amp (8W into 8 ohms), with Electra-print partial silver output transformers-  http://www.eddiecurrent.com/ZDT.html. Source is a Modwright Transporter.

I also use my speakers for everything, including TV, and switch in a Bel Canto class D integrated for these non-music duties.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
These would be great for someone with AK speakers.   :wink:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=95655.0

Clio09

I've used a variety of gear with my Jazz Modules. When I originally purchased them they were used for quite some time with my VAC Auricle Musicblocs (70 watt version). Sometime later I tried a 10 watt Silicon Arts Design solid state amp and was surprised at how well it worked. Other amps that have been used include Music Reference RM-10 MkII, Atma-Sphere S-30 Mk.3.1, and Transcendent Sound T-16. Lately though I have used two SET amps with the speakers. A Music Reference EM-7 12v which is 12 watts and an Electra Fidelity Silver 45 SE (an amp I'm marketing). The latter is only 1.5 watts or so and surprisingly it did quite well on the speakers leading me to believe the 92 dB efficiency rating might be conservative as the amp really likes to see something in the 95+ area. I was able to play it at normal SPLs in my listening room.

Preamps have consistently been passives or unity gain buffers. Primarily a Lightspeed attenuator, but I also listen to a Slagle autoformer volume control I built, as well as the Horn Shoppe Truth and Silicon Arts Design preamp. For the last several years my digital front end has been a CEC TL-51X transport slaved to a Lessloss DAC 2004 MkII. Analog front end includes a Galibier Design Serac and Otari MX-5050 BII reel tape deck, which I run direct into the amp.

Dave G

The only change I might make is to try an Atma-Sphere preamp sometime.

I lied.  Clio09's post reminded me that I'd also like to try a good passive preamp, like the Lightspeed attentuator.  And for kicks, I might rummage through my extra stuff to find my Sonic Impact T-amp.  I bet it would sound pretty good.

I agree with what others have said -- the Jazz Modules work well with a LOT of different amps.  I think Duke said that the First Watt amps were about the only ones he tried that did not suit the JMs. 

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
I did a show with Duke and his phenomenal Rhythm Prizm stand-mount speakers.  Even in a room larger than the average living room (front room of the local vintage Thatcher Mansion converted to artist use) the Pioneer VSX-D912 receiver sounded fantastic playing Rush and other music at live levels without strain.  See the long 912 thread here at AC.  Highly recommended, especially with a premium source.  One of the best amp/speaker interfaces I've heard.  I'm familiar with OTL on Duke's earlier model.         

Berndt

Home made.
Mostly listen to my JMs with an 8 watt pp 6v6 amp made out of organ guts.
But, have had the recent chance to play with a Krell Ksa150. This amp has some push. Not what I'd want to listen to full time but, for rock and metal it is pretty awesome. The Krell does induce fatigue though. I think amps are like motorcycles. There is no perfect amp, just a collection of perfect amps...

brj

Quote from: Dave G
I think Duke said that the First Watt amps were about the only ones he tried that did not suit the JMs.

The current output stage (F1/F2) or voltage output stage (the rest) First Watt amps?

Reference: A Concise Guide to the Published Amplifier Circuits of Nelson Pass

I'd be surprised if the current source amps sounded good unless Duke reworked the crossover.  (The vast majority of speakers containing a crossover are designed for voltage source amps.)  I'd be curious to know why Nelson's voltage source amps wouldn't sound good, however...

Berndt

I've spent some time with an f4. Biggest soundstage I've heard from my rig.
Limited bass. There was another fw design I heard but I can't recall the name now. I don't think they sounded bad, it is just that other designs sound so much better :D

Dave G

The current output stage (F1/F2) or voltage output stage (the rest) First Watt amps?

Reference: A Concise Guide to the Published Amplifier Circuits of Nelson Pass

I'd be surprised if the current source amps sounded good unless Duke reworked the crossover.  (The vast majority of speakers containing a crossover are designed for voltage source amps.)  I'd be curious to know why Nelson's voltage source amps wouldn't sound good, however...

Well, I thought I remembered Duke saying this once, but I can't recall whether it was in a forum post or in an e-mail or private message.  I just did a forum search and this post is the closest thing I could find.  Sounds as if my memory is wrong, that Duke hadn't tested a First Watt amp with the Jazz Modules, but suspected from what he knew that they wouldn't work well together.  Sorry for the confusion.

Dave

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
Couple years ago we auditioned a Pass FW amp on member Berndt's Jazz Modules.  Maybe Bill knows the model. 

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com

It was one of the current output stage models, but I don't remember which one.   No complaints about the amp; just wasn't the right speaker for it, and vice versa. 

Berndt

Yeah, the f4 is current gain and it sounded kinda gutless.
Nice to understand it is the nature of the XO design.

matt.w

Yeah, the f4 is current gain and it sounded kinda gutless.
Nice to understand it is the nature of the XO design.

F4 is a buffer, yes, but a traditional voltage source amp. F1 and F2 are current source.

What preamp did you use with the F4? I've considered one, fronted by a DHT preamp. Has a novelty factor going for it at least.

brj

It was one of the current output stage models, but I don't remember which one.   No complaints about the amp; just wasn't the right speaker for it, and vice versa.

Duke, you'll forget far more about crossovers than I'll ever learn, but my understanding is that unless you "turn the crossover inside out", to quote Nelson Pass, a current source amplifier won't work well with any speaker designed for a voltage source:

Current Source Crossover Filters

Thus, I'd expect the current source based F1 and F2 to probably sound "wrong" or "dead" unless you modified the crossover accordingly.  I'd expect any other First Watt amp to sound fine with your unmodified crossover, however, as the rest are traditional voltage source amps.  (F3, F4, F5, J2, M2, etc.)

Did you modify your crossover for current source amps, or did I just miss something in my interpretation of Nelson's paper that makes it irrelevant with your speakers?

(Note that I've never heard a Pass amp, so I don't have any relevant experience here.  I've just been reading Nelson's papers lately just for educational purposes, so I was curious about your comment and approach based on the theory that I'd absorbed.)

Thanks!

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
Brj,  it was the "stock" Jazz Modules.  They were at someone's house, and we hooked 'em up to a loaner Pass Labs amp he had on hand (F1 or F2 I think) based on my experience that my speakers work pretty well with OTL amps.  Well, as Nelson (or anyone more familiar with his work than yours truly) would have correctly predicted, it wasn't a good match.  My recollection is the speakers sounded dull and lifeless compared to when they were driven by the other amps he had on hand.   No criticism of Nelson's amp intended - I'm sure it sounds great with appropriate speakers, and I used to own (and was very happy with) an amp he designed many years ago. 

It would take a major effort to redesign my rather complex crossover just for Nelson's current-source amps, so I'm going to leave that segment of the market to a more energetic speaker designer than myself.