better display quality ... HD LCD display or HD projector?

albireo13

Just wondering which way to go when I upgrade my HT system. 
Budget is $5000.     Video and picture quality is the priority.

Thx,
Rob

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
Re: better display quality ... HD LCD display or HD projector?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2010, 08:53 pm »
I think one consideration will be how big a picture you want (or your space would allow). A projector will likely give you a more immersive experience, and there are quite a few well reviewed units in your price range.

On the other hand, an LCD would be a better choice if you intend to watch during the day and can't control your light conditions. 

GHM

« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2010, 10:03 pm »
If you can control the light even a little..definitely get the projector! :D

K Shep

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2010, 10:09 pm »
Just as the 2 other replies...it all depends on your existing room.  Light, size and function.  If you have a dedicated room then you would benefit from front projection.  But keep in mind the projector is half the battle...you need a good screen too.

I prefer plasma over LCD but that's a different subject.

flintstone

« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2010, 10:35 pm »
I have a plasma and a projector. The plasma has the best picture quality, but I'd much rather watch DVD's on the projector (and so would everyone else in my family).

That said.....if your going to watch a lot of television on a projector, it's going to get very costly (buying lamps).

Dave

hayden

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2010, 10:39 pm »
My HD projector and 110" DIY BlackWidow screen displays a better picture than the plasma and lcd tv's we have in other parts of the house - plus it is just more fun  :D

JP

kingdeezie

« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2010, 10:42 pm »
For television, a plasma or LCD television is going to be the better option.

The quality of my picture from comcast, even in HD is so poor, it just looks awful on my projector.

However, blurays and DVDs can't be beaten on the projector, so much fun.  :thumb:

rwolters

« Reply #7 on: 23 Aug 2010, 11:03 pm »
I wouldn't hesitate to go the projector route. I had wanted to buy one for several years but always felt the picture wasn't quite good enough when compared to a nice plasma. But then, 2 years ago, I took the plunge and bought a Marantz VP-15S1 projector and a 110" screen. It's a DLP projector which I like better than competing technologies.

On an absolute basis, the picture isn't as good as my 40" Pioneer Elite plasma. But, it is still outstanding. The picture is very sharp, and the colors are intense. I can control the light reasonably well, even in the daytime, but the room isn't completely dark. I still have plenty of brightness to watch football games or golf during the afternoon. Movies are thoroughly enjoyable. I use the projector a lot and it took me 24 months to put 2000 hours on the bulb. Surprisingly the picture still looked fantanstic at the 1900 hour mark. By 2000 hours the picture was degrading. With a new bulb the picture looks like it did when new.

I've been buying and enjoying audio and video equipment for over 40 years. The Marantz projector is the best audio or video purchase I've ever made.

Bob

kingdeezie

« Reply #8 on: 23 Aug 2010, 11:09 pm »
The Marantz projector is almost twice the OPs budget.

I am sure that projector is excellent, but in a different ballpark then anything coming in at 5K.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 23 Aug 2010, 11:17 pm »
Just wondering which way to go when I upgrade my HT system. 
Budget is $5000.     Video and picture quality is the priority.

Thx,
Rob

At $5k you can pretty much get the best pj under $10-12k in the JVC RS-35 (http://www.projectorreviews.com/jvc/dla-rs35/index.php).

If you want to spend a little less than half your budget, you have great choices from Epson (8500UB which I have and really like), Panny (AE-4000), or LG ( CF181D).

As others have already mentioned, there are lots of factors that determine if a PJ will work for you.  If it does work, it can create a fantastic experience that no LCD or Plasma can match.

George

rwolters

« Reply #10 on: 24 Aug 2010, 12:25 am »
Yes, the list price of the Marantz VP-15S1 was $9k. But I got it for $6k from an authorized dealer a couple of years ago. It wouldn't surprise me if that level of performance is available today for less than $5k. And a used VP-15S1 can be found for less than $5k too. All I was trying to convey was that a good projector is a great addition to a home theater. I should have made that part clear.

Bob

JP78

« Reply #11 on: 24 Aug 2010, 03:16 am »
Pioneer KURO.

Brax

« Reply #12 on: 25 Aug 2010, 12:05 pm »
I think it boils down to size and room lighting. I have a 70" Sony and I'm not sure it would be worth going to a projector unless the screen size would be 120" or larger. I make this judgment from the cost of the projector and screen and the light limiting requirments of a projector. The cost of 70" LCDs has dropped dramatically and are now what I would consider "cheap" for the size and picture quality.

I do plan on adding a HT room with a projector. The room will have total light control and a 130" screen. I'm looking at $5k+ (JVC) for the projector and $2k+ (SMX) for the screen. For everyday use, I will still use the Sony, but movies and sports it will be watched in the HT.

I would also recommend you match your audio to your video quality. There no sense dumping $5k into a projector/screen and not have a sound system that can really bring that combo to life.

ctviggen

« Reply #13 on: 25 Aug 2010, 12:52 pm »
I think it boils down to size and room lighting. I have a 70" Sony and I'm not sure it would be worth going to a projector unless the screen size would be 120" or larger. I make this judgment from the cost of the projector and screen and the light limiting requirments of a projector. The cost of 70" LCDs has dropped dramatically and are now what I would consider "cheap" for the size and picture quality.

I don't know about that.  If you're going to go with a manual pulldown screen, for instance, you can easily get a 92-100 inch screen and nice projector for under 2k.  Also, blackout curtains aren't that expensive.  Add those up and you should be at about a 70 inch LCD.  Now, if you want an acoustically transparent screen, the screen alone will cost that much.  It depends on what route you'll take.

coke

« Reply #14 on: 25 Aug 2010, 01:23 pm »
If you want to spend a little less than half your budget, you have great choices from Epson (8500UB which I have and really like), Panny (AE-4000), or LG ( CF181D).

I installed a 8500UB for my mom not long ago.  Very happy with the picture.  I'm also using an epson, a 6100 I think.

After getting used to 100" screens, it's very difficult to watch anything smaller.  A 100" has roughly 4X the surface area of a 50" TV.

We both have dedicated rooms for the projectors though, and neither are used for much TV.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 25 Aug 2010, 04:57 pm »

I do plan on adding a HT room with a projector. The room will have total light control and a 130" screen. I'm looking at $5k+ (JVC) for the projector and $2k+ (SMX) for the screen. For everyday use, I will still use the Sony, but movies and sports it will be watched in the HT.

I would also recommend you match your audio to your video quality. There no sense dumping $5k into a projector/screen and not have a sound system that can really bring that combo to life.

I have a 110" SmX screen and love it!  While it wasn't cheap, it was worth every penny I paid and I would gladly buy another one.

You are also spot on about matching the audio to the video.  Using five Salk SongTowers + a pair of on wall surrounds + 2-6 subs, more than matches the video capabilities of my system.  Together it provides a WOW!!! type experience that we all enjoy.

George

ctviggen

« Reply #16 on: 25 Aug 2010, 05:33 pm »
George,

Does your processor do 9.1/9.2?  I've seen rumors that the "height" speakers offer a substantial improvement, but I find that a bit hard to believe. 

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 25 Aug 2010, 05:53 pm »
George,

Does your processor do 9.1/9.2?  I've seen rumors that the "height" speakers offer a substantial improvement, but I find that a bit hard to believe.

Nope.  I use a Denon 3808CI (which is getting a little long in the tooth).

What it does allow for is flexibility in 7.1 setup.  It allows for 2 pairs of "Surround A" speakers that can be used in different sources.  For example, I want to use my SongTowers for mutil-channel music or concerts, but I might want to use my di-pole, wall mounted surrounds for movies.  I can even use both at the same time and have 9 speakers active in the 7.1 setup.

I know that many of the newer receivers have the height channels, but frankly, I can't see myself buying a new receiver just to get that feature.

George

ctviggen

« Reply #18 on: 25 Aug 2010, 06:09 pm »
Interesting.  I can't see buying a receiver to get that, but I wired my room for 7.x, and the receiver I bought (about 2 years ago!) only does 5/6.x.  So, I'm considering using the "old" (it's never been plugged in!) receiver in my upstairs system and buying a true 7.x receiver/preamp.  Of course, they're now all 9.x, so I'd be buying one of those. 

When I ran speaker wire for my front R/L, I ran two sets for each speaker for biamping.  I could use one of those sets for the 8+9 channels, but I'd really have to hear this in action before buying yet another set of speakers. 

Brax

« Reply #19 on: 25 Aug 2010, 07:21 pm »
I don't know about that.  If you're going to go with a manual pulldown screen, for instance, you can easily get a 92-100 inch screen and nice projector for under 2k.  Also, blackout curtains aren't that expensive.  Add those up and you should be at about a 70 inch LCD.  Now, if you want an acoustically transparent screen, the screen alone will cost that much.  It depends on what route you'll take.

If every time we wanted to watch TV we had to pull down the screen and close the black out curtains, I can guarantee my wife would not be happy, even if the screen was motorized. In my opinion (and everybody has one) if you were only going to use one TV in the house for everyday viewing, whether it be movies, sports, game play or TV, I would recommend a large LCD. If you have a man cave, rec room or dedicated HT, the obvious choice would be a front projector with as big of a screen as you could fit given your room size and seating distance.

I personally have NEVER heard anyone complain that their screen was too big! I have heard people say, they wish they had gone larger and most people  who have a large screen say they can not see themselves ever going back to a smaller screen.